Apollo 13 comparison *PIX* - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnerd View Post

I'd have to guess then that perhaps your vision responds positively to the effects of edge enhancement. Because the Blu-Ray in fact absolutely does not have more detail.

And you would know that, how? I've seen the disc. Have you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 05:52 PM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

And professional baseball players strikeout. Professional QBs throw INTs.

Easy for me to criticize when I am anonymously sitting on the couch...maybe if I ever got on the field myself I would have a different perspective. If I had the ability that is. Since some here clearly have a keen mark on movies as second nature as lucas has on his star wars, you would think they would step up to the plate with their abilities. I mean with their expertise and experience and knowledge, they could give the home entertainment world a definitive source for movies on discs reviews. And put those other "professional" reviewers to shame.

Some of the guys here do indeed have an excellent knowledge of the technical aspects of what's going on in the discs we view at home. Like any other area of career choice, opportunity can play a major role in what you ultimately end up doing. Some of the members here have opinions that I consider extremely valuable when it comes to a technical breakdown of a new release.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #63 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fizzy View Post

And you would know that, how? I've seen the disc. Have you?

So you are saying in fact that when you compare the two discs that you see more detail in the astronauts' suits in the blu-ray as opposed to the HD DVD? Small high frequency details like the dots in the nasa patch that I highlighted in fact stop being one smushed line in the blu-ray during motion and appear in fact to be individual dots again, even sharper than the HD DVD's?

And no, I do not have the BD here, and I shall not. Its so clearly inferior to the HD DVD that I needn't waste even a rental on it. And yes, I can judge it that well from the screencaps. Just like I could judge that Hot Fuzz and Miami Vice were better on Blu-Ray from screen shots, so too can I clearly see that in this case the BD is worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Some of the guys here do indeed have an excellent knowledge of the technical aspects of what's going on in the discs we view at home. Like any other area of career choice, opportunity can play a major role in what you ultimately end up doing. Some of the members here have opinions that I consider extremely valuable when it comes to a technical breakdown of a new release.

it is in their interest to not have over-qualified people release movies that don't need to be "fixed" with subsequent releases.
post #65 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 06:06 PM

Compare these two shots instead of focusing on little dots that can't even be seen on the actual disc...

Quote:

post #66 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 06:07 PM

I am also in the camp of those that are happy that they held onto their HDDVD version of this film and many others that Universal have ruined in the switch to Blu. Just wondering what is going on over there.

Later Everyone.
post #67 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Compare these two shots instead of focusing on little dots that can't even be seen on the actual disc...

Correction, can't be seen on the *Blu-Ray* disc
post #68 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
A number of unnecessary comments and replies have been deleted.

Enough of the personal comments. Do not reply. Use the Report Post button.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #69 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The sharpening on the Blu-ray ruins the soft, glowy diffusion filter look created by the DP.
post #70 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Fizzy, you are interchanging acutance/sharpness and resolution, which are separate metrics. The blu-ray is sharper, because of the EE/sharpening applied. That's why they use it. It's particularly effective for longer viewing distances/smaller screens, where your eyes can't resolve all the detail. But it's not higher resolution, even in that frame, in some it's markedly lower.
post #71 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 08:13 PM

Liked: 24
Sadly only a few notches off from the actual HD DVD. Bought that day one and have never blind bought a catalog title again. One of the worst transfers I've ever seen, at least in the bottom five.
post #72 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
So far, most of Universal catalogs have been catch-up titles, and most have used the same transfer as the HD DVD (for better or worse)...

This has to be the worst "catch-up" title released (as far as PQ)... There were a few issues with the first batch of catalogs they released having extra DNR, but things got better after that... Guess it will be a few years before we see any of these catalogs look their best...
post #73 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Fizzy, you are interchanging acutance/sharpness and resolution, which are separate metrics. The blu-ray is sharper, because of the EE/sharpening applied. That's why they use it. It's particularly effective for longer viewing distances/smaller screens, where your eyes can't resolve all the detail. But it's not higher resolution, even in that frame, in some it's markedly lower.

I never claimed the Blu-ray was not over enhanced. In fact, I recall saying the exact opposite. As for screen size and viewing distance, I don't think my 106" diagonal screen at 11' viewing distance falls into the category you are referring to.

I find it somewhat ironic that in the Lord of the Rings thread, where the opposite of this case was true, the HDTV transfer being sharpened and the Blu-ray not so enhanced, most of the same people were taking the opposite stance. I think some of you just enjoy pissing on the studios and don't really care about movies or the Blu-ray format as much as you do about making yourself look smarter than the people that make these decisions. Some of you just like to think you are smarter than the people making a living at this.
post #74 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

I find it somewhat ironic that in the Lord of the Rings thread, where the opposite of this case was true, the HDTV transfer being sharpened and the Blu-ray not so enhanced, most of the same people were taking the opposite stance. .

where?

I'd like to think amazingly competent people who take pride in their work work at Universal home video, but where's the evidence?
Your post would hold more water if the so-called "usual suspects" complaining were not self-consistent or were universally negative, which just isn't the case.
post #75 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
where's the popcorn....?
post #76 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

where's the popcorn....?

Here ya go bro! Hiya Dave!

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #77 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
awesome!
post #78 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 602
What in the ^%%& is going on with bluray? The HD-DVD looks way better (Never thought i'd ever say that)

Is there any reason why fooliversal didn't just transfer the HD-DVD encode and improve it for the BD? Jesus.

home theater addict
post #79 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Great example. One looks like film, the other does not. In this shot, the Blu-ray is an oversharpened, contrast boosted mess. I am hard pressed to believe that these issues magically disappear while watching the disc. In my experience, when the caps look like this, the disc 'in motion' looks like this, too.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #80 of 325 Old 04-17-2010, 11:23 PM

The problem with Xylon's shots, (and they are very accurate in those scenes) is that this strong EE and DNR doesn't occur the entire film. Just in certain scenes. It's frustrating really, but I watched the whole thing day of release and it shifted back and forth through the entirety of the film. Very dissapointing, and the reviews are really misleading.
post #81 of 325 Old 04-18-2010, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 76

Come on, Uni! This isn't exactly rocket science...
post #82 of 325 Old 04-18-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

post #83 of 325 Old 04-18-2010, 02:19 AM

I can't understand why anyone would defend this blu-ray release. The video clearly has DNR and EE issues. The boosted contrast ratio is also really bothering me. I can't figure out why the studios think it is necessary to do this for catalog releases.

I was looking forward to upgrading from my hd dvd for the lossless audio, but now it looks like I will have to wait a while longer...
post #84 of 325 Old 04-18-2010, 02:37 AM

"What were they thinking?!"
post #85 of 325 Old 04-18-2010, 02:58 AM

Liked: 14
Attack of the glowing wax people.

I like how some reviewers not only can't spot obvious EE without a reference, but don't even bother comparing to a prior release when one exists.
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3031/apollo13.html

Dillon: My men were in that chopper when it got hit! Hopper's orders were to go in and remove grain and the detail just disappeared.
Dutch: It didn't disappear. It was scrubbed alive!
post #86 of 325 Old 04-18-2010, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I prefer the bluray. The colors are more accurate. the whites are white instead of a white/blue mix.
post #87 of 325 Old 04-18-2010, 04:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The HD DVD is CLEARLY superior here and that is fact. If you like the Bluray better that is a preference.
post #88 of 325 Old 04-18-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:

It is a brighter white but it is also blown out, just look at her collar on the left side. All detail is gone and you get a big white patch instead on the Blu version. I will keep my HD DVD and wait for a proper remaster for this one.

Later Everyone.
post #89 of 325 Old 04-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
+1.

Another Universal disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSallot View Post

I am also in the camp of those that are happy that they held onto their HDDVD version of this film and many others that Universal have ruined in the switch to Blu. Just wondering what is going on over there.

Later Everyone.

post #90 of 325 Old 04-18-2010, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion250 View Post

I prefer the bluray. The colors are more accurate. the whites are white instead of a white/blue mix.

The whites are white because the colors are boosted. In the digital world, colors are represented by numbers. White is represented by the highest numbers. They could boost the movie so far that you would see nothing but a white picture and you could still say that the whites are white. None of the other colors would be correct though. That is the case here. I am not saying the colors of the HD-DVD are correct either, but at least they don't blow out a huge chunk of the colors by turning them white. There are better ways to fix the color without losing the detail at the high or low end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page