Victory at Sea - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 05-03-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Victory at Sea is coming out as a blu-ray at the end of the month. It was issued many times on DVD and most were bad copies. Anyone seen the blu-ray version yet? Wonder if this will be the start of many blu-ray copies of the series being issued, most of them bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-03-2010, 02:20 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Wonder if they've fixed the variable volume issue.
post #3 of 30 Old 05-03-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
This is mostly made up of old WWII footage (16MM, B&W, lots of issues).

While I would be interested in seeing it on Blu-ray, I do not hold much hope that Blu-ray will help the quality very much over the extant DVD's.

Great stuff, terrific score. A good companion piece to the current HBO series The Pacific.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 05-03-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 356
i would buy this... i wore it out on vhs... as noted, the score is terrific, and THAT would be reason alone to buy it on disk...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

https://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #5 of 30 Old 05-04-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

When you are getting this on BD the idea that they aren't going to try and resell every thing on BD takes a big hit.
post #6 of 30 Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain View Post

When you are getting this on BD the idea that they aren't going to try and resell every thing on BD takes a big hit.

Depends on who "they" are.

It is apparent that some vendors are being much more aggressive than others WRT catalog titles.

Clearly Warners is the most aggressive of the majors. But look at Image. They just announced 20 Blu-ray titles for July and August, including many interesting titles that are probably not going to sell a lot. Kino released The General on Blu-ray, and Criterion has been very aggressive.

Then we have Sony, Fox, and Universal for example. Pretty slow.

The Victory at Sea release is also well-timed with the new HBO series The Pacific.
post #7 of 30 Old 05-04-2010, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1848 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Just picked this up at Wal-Mart on SD DVD for $5 for the whole series!

Doesn't look great, but at $5 couldn't resist.

I'm just afraid that a BD transfer will make several episodes' sub-par model work look worse (yes, there was model work done to go with the actual combat footage.)

I doubt any WWII footage will look better than what was presented on History's WW II in HD series.
post #8 of 30 Old 11-15-2010, 12:26 PM

Liked: 24
Hey guys,

This just came in for review. I'm assuming this was either delayed or maybe a different version then the one mentioned in the first post (anyone know for sure)? I can't find any other versions for sale on Blu-ray.

This one comes from Periscope Video, who annoyingly watermark the entire series with either a gunsight or their web address in the lower right. They have a comparison trailer before the disc menu that makes it seem like the only difference is some contrast boosting and crushed blacks with a minimal resolution increase. Once into the first episode, even that isn't consistent, but since the source is such a variety of film stocks, who knows how this was actually all put together and then transferred. Got a long way to go though, so maybe it'll pick up.

The audio is Dolby Digital mono, so no real benefit there either.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-15-2010, 01:55 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

The audio is Dolby Digital mono, so no real benefit there either.

How's the audio level consistency? On the DVD version, it varies wildly, requiring constant adjustment in order to understand narration without then being blown out by the (excellent) musical score.
post #10 of 30 Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

How's the audio level consistency? On the DVD version, it varies wildly, requiring constant adjustment in order to understand narration without then being blown out by the (excellent) musical score.

Five episodes in and the mix is fine so far. Everything is balanced great.
post #11 of 30 Old 11-15-2010, 08:09 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quote:

Five episodes in and the mix is fine so far. Everything is balanced great.

Thanks!
post #12 of 30 Old 11-17-2010, 11:02 PM

Hi,

My name is Doug. I am co-owner of Periscope Film.com and the one person who personally created this Blu-ray version of Victory at Sea. I am happy to answer question you might have about the Blu-ray or Victory at Sea. I will do my best not to 'defend' our Blu-ray, but explain some of things that went into its production. Here are a couple to start with.

1) We are a film preservation company who care about the quality of the films we release, not some company in the far-east making knock off DVDs from VHS tapes. We have our own telecine facility and transfer the films to video ourselves in the U.S.A. We have been in business for the last 10 years and have been issuing hard to find historic films for the last 7 years of DVD.

2) Audio Quality. We too heard the other versions on DVD. Two versions were OK and two were pretty bad. After the thousands of hours we put into creating our Blu-ray version, we discovered why some recordings sounded so poor. I don't want to reveal the exact details our discovery, but suffice to say that we did an excellent job with audio. I will let Gamereviegod give you his report.

3) Video Quality. I could go on for hours about this. Bottom line, play a DVD on a top of the line Blu-Ray player on a 37 inch or bigger HDTV and then play our Blu-ray. In terms of detail, there is no comparison. On our Blu-ray, you can read the name tags of servicemen, see ship names, see rivets and camouflage. On DVD, these things are very tough to make out if at all. Now remember the original film was both 35mm and 16mm, from various film stocks, and duped many times over before it made into VAS. So it will never look like Avatar, but we believe its the best copy of VAS that exists anywhere in the world.

4) The bug on the video. You might think because we are issuing Victory at Sea on Blu-ray, that we are some mega conglomerate film studio, but we aren't. We are a small company working in a small niche market, bringing these wonderful films to people who share our passion We spent lots of time (and I mean lots) and lots of our own money to release this series on Blu-ray. Since this is the only Hi-Def copy in world of this series, and since video piracy is so easy, we had little choice but to protect the hard work we put in. So we chose a small transparent colorless logo in the bottom right of the picture (Its our logo by the way, a periscope sight). If we didn't do this, and someone just started selling copies of our work, we simply would be out of business and no longer be able to spend the time to bring you any other films on Blu-ray.

I think that's it for now. Please know that offer a full 14 day return policy when you buy from our website. We are not looking to take your money and run. We want happy customers, and we want to bring you the best thing possible. We have have worked very hard to bring you Victory at Sea in Hi-Def, and we are sure enough of our product, to offer our return policy.

Thanks you for your time and we look forward to Gamereviegod's review.
post #13 of 30 Old 11-17-2010, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hi Doug! Thanks for posting your thoughts. I grew up watching this show, and am very much looking forward to seeing your work!

P.S.: I hope you have a thick skin, this place can be a little rough
post #14 of 30 Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 AM

What will prevent me from purchasing VAS is the bug on the video. I don't need to have the video "polluted" with advertising on an item that I purchased. It is bad enough to tolerate it on "broadcast" TV, but I don't think this is acceptable on an item for personal viewing. I understand your concern regarding pirating however a clever pirate will just remove your "bug" anyway.
post #15 of 30 Old 11-18-2010, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just ordered it; I can live with the bug.
post #16 of 30 Old 11-19-2010, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug183 View Post

Hi,
Now remember the original film was 16mm, from various film stocks, and duped many times over before it made into VAS.

Surely much (most?) of the original WWII footage was 35mm; newsreels at that time were all 35mm (although there might have been some military footage that was 16mm). And I was under the impression that Victory at Sea was created by NBC on 35mm film, even though it might have been later distributed on 16mm.

Are you saying that you only had access to 16mm prints?
post #17 of 30 Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Doug - are there any extras? There was at least one memorable scene in the movie version that wasn't in any of the TV versions - it was a nasty carrier-deck crash of a helldiver nosing over.
post #18 of 30 Old 11-20-2010, 05:07 PM

AUS1969:
Extras:
There are 3 extras on our VAS Blu-ray discs, all of them unique to this release:
1) On Disc 1, there is a running commentary track of Episode 6, Guadalcanal by Peter C. Rollins Ph.D. Rollins is a Marine Corps veteran, author, and professor of film and history. He is also a noted expert concerning Victory at Sea.
2) On Disc 3, there is a 37 minute audio interview with Dr. Rollins about the historical significance of the show.
3) When NBC was promoting Victory at Sea, it sent at hardcover promotional booklet to all the affiliates who were going to air the series. We have made this rare book and the original press release available in PDF format. A copy is on every disc. To access it, insert any of the 3 discs into a computer with a Blu-ray player, navigate to the "DATA" folder, and copy the .pdf file from within to your hard drive. You will of course need Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer to view this file.

d3193
You are 100% correct; I oversimplified how VaS was edited and assembled. VaS came from a great many sources only some of which were American (the rest being British, French, German, Japanese, etc.). Although a lot was originally shot on 35mm, quite a bit was likely 16mm. Most of it was black and white but some of it was color, although of course when the show was released it was entirely black and white (you can spot color shots, for instance in the "Suribachi" episode by their uniquely poor contrast levels).

In any case, the point I was trying to make is that our VaS Blu-ray edition presents the best versions of the 26 episodes that exist, or have ever existed. What you're going to see equals what you would have seen, had you screened the show in a theater back in 1952-53.

AUS1969
Over the years, viewers have become accustomed to seeing re-edited or truncated episodes of the program. Our guess is that this type of edit did not represent an effort to censor or change the show, but was a result of individual TV stations trying to add more time for (what else?) commercials. We're happy to report that our version of VaS has every episode in its entirety, and thanks to the 24p playback technology you're actually seeing frame for frame, what the makers of VaS intended.

Doug

P.S. VaS will be available on Amazon this week, however it is shipping now from our website.
post #19 of 30 Old 11-22-2010, 06:12 AM

I have it now, and the "bug" is not a problem. If what the History Channel uses is a 10, this one is a 1, or even 0.5.
post #20 of 30 Old 11-25-2010, 07:30 AM

Review is live (w/ screens):

http://www.doblu.com/2010/11/25/victory-at-sea-review/

I will say the first episode is the roughest of the group, and it does get quite a bit better from there. The inconsistencies are everywhere, but there's not much you can do with a multi-generational negative. Some of this footage really does look amazing though, with some wonderful clarity and depth. Kudos on the restoration.
post #21 of 30 Old 11-27-2010, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 16201
I started watching the BD yesterday. Looks great! Nice job on the restoration. Bug is not a problem at all.

larry

If a cannibal eats a clown, will it taste funny?
post #22 of 30 Old 11-29-2010, 04:01 PM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quote:
Review is live (w/ screens):

http://www.doblu.com/2010/11/25/victory-at-sea-review/

I will say the first episode is the roughest of the group, and it does get quite a bit better from there. The inconsistencies are everywhere, but there's not much you can do with a multi-generational negative. Some of this footage really does look amazing though, with some wonderful clarity and depth. Kudos on the restoration.
Many thanks! Even were there no PQ improvement, elimination of the incredibly annoying audio problems present on the DVD version is worth every penny of the $30 asking price.

Ordered.
post #23 of 30 Old 12-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Well the screen bug is enough to keep me from purchasing this. It's too bad there was not another way to protect your work.
post #24 of 30 Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS1969 View Post
I have it now, and the "bug" is not a problem. If what the History Channel uses is a 10, this one is a 1, or even 0.5.
I agree. If the bug on this BD bothers someone, then the only HD they can tolerate must be BD movies that don't have a bug. Between obnoxious bugs (and pop ups) HD channel are far more annoying.

larry

post #25 of 30 Old 12-02-2010, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1365 Post(s)
Liked: 1548
Definitely adding this to my wishlist when the price is right.
post #26 of 30 Old 12-02-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Definitely adding this to my wishlist when the price is right.

$32.96 shipped on eBay. Only 1 copy left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTORY-SEA-Clas...item20b538f27f

edit: sold out, now relisted at $39.95. Grats to whoever got the last one
post #27 of 30 Old 12-05-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorthodt View Post

$32.96 shipped on eBay. Only 1 copy left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VICTORY-SEA-Clas...item20b538f27f

edit: sold out, now relisted at $39.95. Grats to whoever got the last one

Looks like 4 on Ebay now. But you can get the same price at the producers website: http://www.periscopefilm.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

larry

post #28 of 30 Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

...But you can get the same price at the producers website: http://www.periscopefilm.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

larry

That's how I got mine, Larry. Two days from order to my front door.
post #29 of 30 Old 12-08-2010, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Received my copy today; ordered direct from Periscope. Fast shipping!
I just spent a few minutes scanning through the first disc to see how it looks.
I was born in 1949. I still remember watching this in the '50's on an old DuMont TV that my uncle bought second hand (or maybe even third hand). I love WW2 documentaries (and movies), and Victory At Sea has long been a favorite.
I also have it on DVD from the $5 bin at WalMart (and was thrilled to find it at that price).
This Blu Ray version is, IMHO, VERY nice.
The old newsreel footage still looks like old newsreel footage, and yet it looks great. It's hard to explain how this old TV series that used beat up film footage can look great; it just does.
As someone who DESPISES screen bugs, the bug on VAS is one of the least annoying I've seen. To anyone on the fence because of the bug, don't be.
VERY glad I bought this.
Thanks Doug and Periscope Films for a very nice addition to my collection.
post #30 of 30 Old 05-03-2020, 08:45 PM

Liked: 0
Bombing Squadron 85 (VB-85) Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS1969 View Post
Doug - are there any extras? There was at least one memorable scene in the movie version that wasn't in any of the TV versions - it was a nasty carrier-deck crash of a helldiver nosing over.
I had seen a still of this ( flickr.com/photos/dougsheley/3044207285/in/photostream/ ) training accident from the opposite angle a few days ago. This evening a cable channel was showing a sort of 2-hour mashup of episodes and I saw this mishap in slow motion. A search on internet found it was at about the 23 minute mark of VaS, Ep.12, 'Conquest of Micronesia.' If you look closley at the attached photo (or follow the link), you'll see the motion picture photog in the catwalk just beyond the starboard wing. I assume the pilot died instantly; the rear gunner was reported to have died some time later. Oddly, the YouTube versions have this shot missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SB2C_VB-85_crash_on_USS_Shangri-La_(CV-38)_1945.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2720704  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page