The Breakfast Club is official for 8/3 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Well, it's nice to be wrong sometimes.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Br...5/#Screenshots

Same old master, I'm not impressed. I guess it's still better than what could have happened though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'll wait for another site to review it and actually compare it to the HD DVD. If it's the same, fine. But any worse...oh gees.
post #33 of 42 Old 07-28-2010, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just re-watched the HD DVD (more closely, paying attention to the transfer more this time, and from a proper distance, ~ size/distance to a theatrical showing) and the HD DVD is pleasing IMO. I noticed a few instances of EE (opening credits, clock, closing frame), but even pausing at various instances where EE would be most noticable, I saw none in most cases. No real EE problem, no pasty DNR. Admittedly, it is not a very detailed transfer but at the same time it looks similar to films of that period that I've seen recently (past few years) at a local 'indie' theater. This particular theater actually showed The Breakfast Club a couple months back but I didn't make it. Honestly, I think it would have looked similar. In the end, I'm pretty happy with the HD DVD's transfer of this film and it is even more surprising given it's a single layer disc. If the BD is similar, I don't see much of a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 07-29-2010, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2520 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumawo13 View Post

Same old master, I'm not impressed. I guess it's still better than what could have happened though.

Well, see, my standards and expectations for Universal catalog titles are in the toilet. So, if we are getting what was on the HD DVD with no additional processing, I am thrilled. A *real* remaster? I never seriously expected that.
post #35 of 42 Old 08-08-2010, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 44
BD comparisons to msgohan's HD DVD screenshots above (fixed height for better comparing):

The increased level of grain is due to the significantly increased video bitrate (2x actually - 16mbps on HD DVD vs 32mbps on BD), not less DNR used.
post #36 of 42 Old 08-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

thanks for new comparison, very slight upgrade in grain...if the new blu is under 10bux i'll buy. otherwise i will stick with my hd-dvd.
post #37 of 42 Old 08-08-2010, 09:55 PM

I'm as hesitant as the next guy when it comes to Universals BD releases, but this is a very nice looking and natural image. For once I'm glad that the BD is better then the HDDVD. It's slight but with the direct comparison shots above it's quite obvious. The hair and the texture in the clothing is ever-so-slightly sharper on the BD, along with a noticeably better grain structure. I doubt it would be noticeable during playback though. Since I can't see any halos in the these grabs or when I watched the BD myself, I can only assume it's from the higher bitrate. Finally, Universal didn't botch, but actually improved the image on it's way to Blu-ray. Lets hope this is a trend...
post #38 of 42 Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

In the BD there is some weirdness in the reflection on Molly's face up where it meets the top of the image. I don't know if it a compression issue or some thing from turning up the sharpness. It just seems blotchy on the BD. Over all I do like the BD image better.

Is this one of those damn flipper disks?
post #39 of 42 Old 08-09-2010, 10:06 AM

Well, *maybe* Universal has finally learned this is all they had to do the whole time with some of those other HD DVD to BD titles. Don't add contrast, EE, and DNR - increase the bitrate and leave it be.

I'm quite happy as this is a title I've been waiting for.
post #40 of 42 Old 08-09-2010, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I'm quite happy as this is a title I've been waiting for.

+1. I never owned the HD-DVD, so buying this was soley riding on whether or not Universal did a DNR smear-job. Thankfully they didn't.

My only other point of comparison was the HDTV broadcast. This BD seems to be from the same master, but clearly the improved bitrate results in a much stronger image.

Can it look better? I suspect that in the coming years Universal will remaster BREAKFAST CLUB with even finer results. For now, this looks quite nice (and sounds excellent) so I'm very glad to own it.
post #41 of 42 Old 08-09-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wal-Mart has this for $20. Great movie, but I'm done paying anything close to that for catalog titles like this. Wake me up when it's $10.

Blu-ray = 775
post #42 of 42 Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 AM

Agreed. It will surely be $10-12 within a few months or by Christmas at Amazon as I'll wait too even though I really want it. I've become a hell of a lot more patient with catalog title purchases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page