Lost in Space on Blu-Ray - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 09-15-2010, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Anyone have Lost in Space on Blu-ray and can comment on PQ and SQ thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 09-15-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I know it's shameful...but I actually really enjoyed this movie. I really wished they did a sequel.

I too would love to see a review on the movie quality and extras.
post #3 of 41 Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Lost in Space review from High-Def Digest
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3425...pace_1998.html

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 09-15-2010, 09:04 PM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 382
I hate to admit it, but I like this horrible movie. I picked it up the other day at Walmart as an impulse buy.

I agree with the video review above, but I found the audio to be less impressive than the reviewer did. In fact, that review echos some of my sentiments from the audio tier thread. I think the DVD had better dialog and cleaner bass, actually.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #5 of 41 Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

sb1,
Do you think it's worth the upgrade to blu-ray or just stay with the regular DVD. Thanks

post #6 of 41 Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

sb1,
Do you think it's worth the upgrade to blu-ray or just stay with the regular DVD. Thanks

easily worth it. It trounces the DVD quite nicely
post #7 of 41 Old 09-16-2010, 07:47 AM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

sb1,

Depends how you look at it. In my opinion, the picture is better, but the audio is actually worse. Most notably the dialog. I watched the DVD the night before I got the BD, and the dialog on the BD is much harder to hear...which is a problem I usually don't ever have. The bass isn't well defined at all, which again, is not a problem I typically run into unless the recording is crappy.

To answer your question, though, if I knew the quality of the BD (slightly better picture and worse audio), I wouldn't have gotten it. Especially when considering what movie it is we're talking about.

Stephen.

post #8 of 41 Old 09-16-2010, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Have not bought this since Laserdisc so will pick it up
post #9 of 41 Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 AM
sb1
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Have not bought this since Laserdisc so will pick it up

Mike, do you still have an LD player hooked up? Mine is in a closet and I've since lost the RF modulator needed to get 5.1 decoded. I'm very curious to see how the DVD or BD sounds when compared to the DTS laserdisc, which at the time was stellar.

Stephen.

post #10 of 41 Old 09-16-2010, 08:21 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Mike, do you still have an LD player hooked up? Mine is in a closet and I've since lost the RF modulator needed to get 5.1 decoded. I'm very curious to see how the DVD or BD sounds when compared to the DTS laserdisc, which at the time was stellar.

I do, but only the the DD disc and it's full of laser rot
post #11 of 41 Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I do, but only the the DD disc and it's full of laser rot

I have the "rot-free" DTS LD. Have not compared to the new BD but it certainly blew away the standard DVD in audio. If, as others have stated, the audio is weaker on the HD disc, then the LD probably trounces that also.
I'll probably rent SPACE and watch it with the LD playing simultaneously for audio. (God, can you imagine how great LDs would be today if current technology was applied to those larger discs?!?!)
post #12 of 41 Old 09-16-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The HDD reviewer is incorrect. The Alliance release was just a (very) old master slapped onto the disc, but this is a "new" Warner transfer with their orange-and-darkness style retiming.

LG B7 (OLED65B7P, 2017)
UHD: Philips BDP7501 | HD: PS3, WD TV Live
Denon AVR-890 (2009)
post #13 of 41 Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

sb1,

Regarding the video, I think the new BD is a good transfer and much better than just a "slight upgrade on the DVD". I think that some review sites gave the transfer a bad wrap because there are several shots where the photography fails to pull focus on the key actor in the frame, whereas if you look carefully, other elements in the scene are in sharp focus. Sure, there are a few "soft" shots, but it's the movie's fault, not the HD transfer.

As a big fan of the TV show, I also find the movie a guilty pleasure and decided to buy it, but there sure were some BAD choices in this film -- I wish that another attempt could be done on Lost in Space.
post #14 of 41 Old 09-16-2010, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I agree on the dialog issue. I thought it was just my system. Found myself turning up the volume to compensate. Worked OK, but definitely not one of my best catalog titles. It's still better then the DVD version and one of my guilty pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Depends how you look at it. In my opinion, the picture is better, but the audio is actually worse. Most notably the dialog. I watched the DVD the night before I got the BD, and the dialog on the BD is much harder to hear...which is a problem I usually don't ever have. The bass isn't well defined at all, which again, is not a problem I typically run into unless the recording is crappy.

To answer your question, though, if I knew the quality of the BD (slightly better picture and worse audio), I wouldn't have gotten it. Especially when considering what movie it is we're talking about.

post #15 of 41 Old 09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 377
anamorphic movie + usual slight Warner softness = so-so reviews. Haven't seen this in a looooong time, so I'm actually looking forward to spinning the BD.
post #16 of 41 Old 09-16-2010, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looks like a good excuse to get rid of my ugly cardboard case version of the DVD.

It is a little embarrassing to say but I really liked this movie as well. Unknown space, ghost ships, unknown aliens, and time travel. What's not to love? I wish it would have gotten a directors cut or a sequel.
post #17 of 41 Old 09-18-2010, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I was curious about this title so I rented the dvd. Liked what i saw and got the bluray for $15. This definitely is a new master and quite a jump in PQ than the dvd. I will say though the dvd had a very strong source and for a dvd looks great. The new master is definitely darker with gamma correction done and some color timing changes with more of a reddish push in skintones. The level of detail is actually for a catalog title very strong as well. There are many stunning scenes here. Also there is a light layer of film grain present.

There were 767 effects shots for the film done in 6 months as stated in the FX documentary. None of the CG shots looks particularly soft too me. The 1st scene shows great detail in the CGI. It is a bit dated yes but we are talking 1997 here. The scene were they shoot through the sun in chapter 10 looks washed out on the dvd. On the bluray it is far better defined. The beginning of chapter 2 is another example of the CGI showing a good jump from the dvd. Yes some of the CGI is better in some scenes than others, but they did 3-4 effects shots per day for the film.

Concerning the audio crank the bluray up +3db and everything is more or less the same. In Chapter 10 some of the LFE effects are identical and some a bit louder. Dialogue is the same. I measured with a sound level meter. If you have a non THX receiver I believe +7db. On DTS-HD tracks the THX receiver bumps the volume up +4.

I have been very critical of catalog titles and studios using old masters slapped onto bluray and Warner has been very guilty of this with some titles. I am not expecting a 4k scan and new transfer and master of every title. At a minimum I am expecting a new master for the bluray and this title got it. All in all a very good upgrade from the dvd.
post #18 of 41 Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 635
I had low expectations the first time I saw this movie. Actually, the only reason I even had it was because it was one of the 5 free DVDs I got with my very first DVD player years ago!

Surprisingly it was actually a fun movie. Not a classic or great art... but a fun distraction that I've watched several times since.
post #19 of 41 Old 09-19-2010, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
This a reference title on DVD back in the day. I just can't watch it again (even after ten years).

art
post #20 of 41 Old 09-19-2010, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't have it on DVD so I'll buy it on Blu-ray.

post #21 of 41 Old 09-20-2010, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The DVD is the 1998 Alliance disc with their branding during playback -- I think they did their own encodes for DVD, so the New Line Platinum Collection snapper is probably slightly different.

The third column of shots is actually from the Alliance "Special Edition" BD which ports the new disc over to Canada. It's fully New Line branded on playback and I've confirmed the encode is identical to the US disc, so I'm calling it that for simplicity.

Matching to the screencaps I took of the old Canadian disc last year proved to be a challenge in some instances, as I had chosen several nearly-static shots. I probably didn't nail them all precisely, but I did my darndest.

16.00Mbps 1080i60 AVC vs 22.91Mbps 1080p24 VC-1

Alliance 1998 DVD vs Alliance Blu-ray #1 vs Warner Blu-ray

LG B7 (OLED65B7P, 2017)
UHD: Philips BDP7501 | HD: PS3, WD TV Live
Denon AVR-890 (2009)
post #22 of 41 Old 09-21-2010, 01:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for those. While the Warners BD beats the DVD quite handily, there's a significant reduction in detail vs. the Alliance BD. Sure, the Alliance looks like it's been sharpened a tad, but compare the tiny hairs on Sir Gary Oldman's ear in that close-up. You can't fake a difference in fine detail like that.

The Warners version has also been given the contrast boost and yellow-ish colour timing that's apparently standard for action movies these days. The grain/noise on the Warners is coarser than the Alliance encode too; check that last shot of Lacey Chabert and the space monkey.
post #23 of 41 Old 09-21-2010, 02:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pretty sad when something from Alliance looks more natural. They Warner'd the hell out of it.
post #24 of 41 Old 09-21-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

The DVD is the 1998 Alliance disc with their branding during playback -- I think they did their own encodes for DVD, so the New Line Platinum Collection snapper is probably slightly different.

The third column of shots is actually from the Alliance "Special Edition" BD which ports the new disc over to Canada. It's fully New Line branded on playback and I've confirmed the encode is identical to the US disc, so I'm calling it that for simplicity.

Awesome work again msgohan..

The highdefdigest review entailed postage stamp sized screens.. and the BR.com review has < DVD sized screens that aren't from the BR. How useful.

Thanks again.
post #25 of 41 Old 09-21-2010, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

Pretty sad when something from Alliance looks more natural. They Warner'd the hell out of it.

They have indeed. I do like things to run at 24p though, and even with the increase in detail I'm not sure I could stomach the extra judder on the 1080i60 Alliance version. My old Pioneer TV could reconstruct a 24p image from a 60i signal, but no such luck with my current Sony. Decisions, decisions...
post #26 of 41 Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks msgohan! While I still believe the new Warner bluray is a big jump from the 12 year old dvd they need to leave the damn DNR to minimal if at all instead of cranked up to max. Yes it appears to me by the screenshots the Alliance disc definitely has more detail. I prefer the look of the new Warner disc in all areas except for the excessive DNR softening the picture.
post #27 of 41 Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 AM

I really wonder what started the trend of Warner pushing the yellows on recent catalogue releases.
post #28 of 41 Old 09-21-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

Thanks msgohan! While I still believe the new Warner bluray is a big jump from the 12 year old dvd they need to leave the damn DNR to minimal if at all instead of cranked up to max. Yes it appears to me by the screenshots the Alliance disc definitely has more detail. I prefer the look of the new Warner disc in all areas except for the excessive DNR softening the picture.

Doesn't look like DNR to me at all. It's the detail itself which has been filtered.
post #29 of 41 Old 09-21-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What exactly is filtering? Is that to decrease the grain?
post #30 of 41 Old 09-21-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Armchair Expert™ Time: I believe that the technical term for it is a 'low pass filter'. Basically the entire image has been softened. You can still see the grain in the backgrounds, right, only it looks much more clumpy and coarse in comparison to the Alliance. This is because the softened Warners encode cannot resolve the grain any finer than that, and the colour/contrast tweaks won't have helped either.

I've never bought in to the anti-Warners stance that a lot of folks have around here, but this really is graphic evidence that they're rolling off the high frequency detail.

I cancelled my pre-order for the Warners version and was about to order the old Alliance, but I'm really caught up on the 60i vs 24p issue. Extra detail vs. authentic judder? Which is better? There's only one way to find out......FIGHT!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page