The last air bender - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 64 Old 09-16-2010, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3055 Post(s)
Liked: 2005
I've never seen the animation, nor the movie but I will blind buy it. Looking forward to it.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I've never seen the animation, nor the movie but I will blind buy it.

Not sure if that's a good idea. I enjoyed the movie when I first saw it, "blind", as it were. Then I went back and saw the original show, and realized just how much the film was lacking. As a big Avatar fan, I'm not even sure I want to buy this at all.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #3 of 64 Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would be all over a Blu release of the original animated series. It was fantastic (I started watching it on Netflix with my son, and within a few episodes our whole family was hooked). I would recommend that series to anyone of any age who liked a good story.

The live action one would never be a blind buy, though, and I haven't seen it yet.

We have our heading. Here we gooooooo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I took my son, fully expecting the worst film of the year. It was no classic, but better than a lot of the other disappointing films this summer. It was one of the only summer movies I saw that was better than I expected rather than worse. I preordered the Blu-ray and won't mind at all watching it again--especially now that it won't be in bad 3D.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #5 of 64 Old 09-18-2010, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

I took my son, fully expecting the worst film of the year. It was no classic, but better than a lot of the other disappointing films this summer. It was one of the only summer movies I saw that was better than I expected rather than worse. I preordered the Blu-ray and won't mind at all watching it again--especially now that it won't be in bad 3D.

Im going in with low expectations but i have been told by some its not that bad. I have to see it

God Bless,
post #6 of 64 Old 09-18-2010, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I would prefer HD version of the animated cartoon with a TrueHD or DTS-MA track. The movie was horrible!

Yamaha RX-A2080 + Emotiva XPA-5 | Paradigm Monitor 11 v6 | Paradigm CC-390 | Paradigm Monitor 9 v6 | Pair of Hsu Research HIW-1s | Pair of PSA S3000i subs
post #7 of 64 Old 09-18-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Im going in with low expectations but i have been told by some its not that bad. I have to see it

I would keep them that way. I find it's often better to have your low expectations slightly surpassed than to have a film try and fail to meet your high expectations.

post #8 of 64 Old 09-19-2010, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 53
It seems to me that all of the negative press surrounding this film is based on comparisons to the cartoon series. I've never seen the cartoon and have liked everything M Night has done, with possibly the exception of The Happening, but I plan to give that one another shot, so hopefully my experience will be more favorable without expectations to live up to.

It's very disheartening to see a studio set SRP so high though. It doesn't matter what some etailers might discount the product, high SRPs discourage sales at a time when high prices are beginning to hurt the format. Fifty dollars SRPs weren't well received four years ago, and they're rediculous now. Studios need to wise up fast, before software pricing leads to the death of packaged media in general.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #9 of 64 Old 09-19-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

It seems to me that all of the negative press surrounding this film is based on comparisons to the cartoon series. I've never seen the cartoon and have liked everything M Night has done, with possibly the exception of The Happening, but I plan to give that one another shot, so hopefully my experience will be more favorable without expectations to live up to.

That's probably for the best. But after you've viewed this, please take the time to see the animated series in order to see what the big deal was [supposed to be] about. And know that as good as the first season was, it was just a teaser for the next two.

So rare to see an american series that tells the whole story it wants to tell and yet ends when it's supposed to end.

post #10 of 64 Old 09-19-2010, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

It seems to me that all of the negative press surrounding this film is based on comparisons to the cartoon series.

I wish that were true, but a car crash in slow-motion comes to mind.
post #11 of 64 Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

I never saw the cartoon and with the exception of The Happening and The Village, have been able to enjoy most of M. Night's Movies...but this one was godawful. Incoherent and BORING. Everything remotely cool is in the trailer, so save yourself the heartache and time by just watching that...not to mention Noah Ringer as The Last Airbender was one of the worst child actors I've ever seen. If anyone is considering a blind buy, DO NOT.
post #12 of 64 Old 11-11-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcorr View Post

I would prefer HD version of the animated cartoon with a TrueHD or DTS-MA track. The movie was horrible!

This is comig out next week. My five year old daughter loves the TV show. Eventually, I saw it enough to start to appreciate what the show brings. Some of the episodes are very dramatic and intense with BIG stuff happening. I had hoped the movie would take the tv show and run with it but not alot of positive reviews. I will still check it out as the audio should be amazing. Randy Thom is the sound designer and this movie should give opportunity for some dynamic effects and lfe. Or they could have just added a killer DTS-MA track to the cartoon...

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #13 of 64 Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

rotten tomato review-"Unspeakably bad dialogue delivered by excruciatingly bad actors in a plot so illogical and stupid it kills unicorns. " yep, airbender needs an air-freshener.

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman"

post #14 of 64 Old 11-11-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:

It seems to me that all of the negative press surrounding this film is based on comparisons to the cartoon series.

I highly doubt that most professional film critics sit around watching Nickelodeon cartoons. They panned the movie because it's a gigantic filthy turd in and of itself, regardless of the cartoon.
post #15 of 64 Old 11-11-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc3000 View Post

I never saw the cartoon and with the exception of The Happening and The Village, have been able to enjoy most of M. Night's Movies...but this one was godawful. Incoherent and BORING. Everything remotely cool is in the trailer, so save yourself the heartache and time by just watching that...not to mention Noah Ringer as The Last Airbender was one of the worst child actors I've ever seen. If anyone is considering a blind buy, DO NOT.

So you're saying this movie is actually worse than those other two M Night's movies?!? Wow.

One has to wonder why studios keep giving this guy funding to direct when he's delivered a consecutive stream of horrible movies that have also been poor box office draws over the last near-decade.

T.B.
post #16 of 64 Old 11-11-2010, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorthodt View Post

I highly doubt that most professional film critics sit around watching Nickelodeon cartoons. They panned the movie because it's a gigantic filthy turd in and of itself, regardless of the cartoon.

It would be pretty bad if he could not put out a movie that was at least as good a Nickelodeon cartoon.

7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
post #17 of 64 Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
MNS is no longer blind buy material. Each film has become worse than the last and if LAB is worse than the Happening, heaven help us all!!!!
post #18 of 64 Old 11-12-2010, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4462 Post(s)
Liked: 2512
A total piece of crap. M. Night is finished as far as directing and writing goes in Hollywood unless he takes a breather and takes some serious stock of the situation and regroups.

He shot his wad, so to speak, with his first two films. They were remarkable movies, the rest... meh.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #19 of 64 Old 11-12-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

It would be pretty bad if he could not put out a movie that was at least as good a Nickelodeon cartoon.

You haven't seen the original, have you? You should.

The problem here was that there was no way it was going to be as good. There was too much good story to be distilled into 2 hours.
People expected it to view like ADD cliffnotes.

What many people didn't expect was for MNS to both make it boring and take random meaningless departures from the original.

To [mis]quote from the TV series' third season episode "Ember Island Players"

Zuko: "That was ... NOT a good [movie.]
Sokka: "But the effects were decent!"

post #20 of 64 Old 11-12-2010, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6874 Post(s)
Liked: 15453
Quote:

I've never seen the animation, nor the movie but I will blind buy it. Looking forward to it.

Lol. There sure is a lot of hate for this movie. Granted, it's not the best. But a fun romp nonetheless. Don't be afraid, Frank. It wasn't that bad. I'll be buying it too. Plus, Airbender is a helluva lot better than killer trees coming to get ya!

post #21 of 64 Old 11-12-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Lol. There sure is a lot of hate for this movie. Granted, it's not the best. But a fun romp nonetheless. Don't be afraid, Frank. It wasn't that bad. I'll be buying it too. Plus, Airbender is a helluva lot better than killer trees coming to get ya!

Definitely looking forward to watch it.

God Bless,
post #22 of 64 Old 11-12-2010, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Last Air Biscuit.

If you get the chance check out the animated series, if you can watch them in order.

Shame M Knight got a hold of the film adaptations, he pretty much killed it with no chance of a reboot.
post #23 of 64 Old 11-13-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O View Post

The Last Air Biscuit.

If you get the chance check out the animated series, if you can watch them in order.

Shame M Knight got a hold of the film adaptations, he pretty much killed it with no chance of a reboot.

Eh, I don't know. I'm sure that the film, bad as it was, got a lot of people interested in the original series. While the film may not have much of a fan base, I'm sure the fans of the series have grown significantly, and they all realize, old fans and new, how poor the movie was, and how much better it could be. The studio isn't going to be ignorant of that. I doubt they're going to go with a sequel, of course, but a proper reboot wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I'm one of those new fans, by the way.. I saw the film with no knowledge of Avatar at all, and more or less enjoyed it for what it was. But then I went back and watched the original series (which I now own on DVD), and was utterly blown away by how much better it was than the film.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #24 of 64 Old 11-13-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Hopefully others like you out there. I would like to see the series taken to film properly, put someone like Del Toro behind it and it's a whole different story. How M. Knight ever wound up with this project I have no idea. He;s the absolute last director I would have chosen based on his previous style/body of work.
post #25 of 64 Old 11-13-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
The Last Air Biscuit.
This joke is pleasing to me.
post #26 of 64 Old 11-15-2010, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

^ Hopefully others like you out there. I would like to see the series taken to film properly, put someone like Del Toro behind it and it's a whole different story. How M. Knight ever wound up with this project I have no idea. He;s the absolute last director I would have chosen based on his previous style/body of work.

Good point. I think the tv show was undervalued/underappreciated by whomever put this together. Del Toro would have smoked this.

[quote=coati858;19479348]You haven't seen the original, have you? You should.

I have. I was just joking that a big hollywood movie cannot do a better job and than a releatively cheap, 2nd tier tv show.

post #27 of 64 Old 11-15-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anybody getting the 3D version, exclusive to Best Buy?

post #28 of 64 Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

The Last Air Biscuit.

"Grasshopper"

"Yes Master"

"Throw biscuit into air, only dog will jump to get"

Huh!

"Grasshopper"

"Yes Master"

"Confusious say, toilet seat only cold for short while"

"Ah so, very true Master Pu"
post #29 of 64 Old 11-15-2010, 12:29 PM

[quote=GoCaboNow;19490972]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coati858 View Post

You haven't seen the original, have you? You should.

I have. I was just joking that a big hollywood movie cannot do a better job and than a releatively cheap, 2nd tier tv show.

Apologies.
Jokes: Sometimes I do not get them.

Heck, it took me more than one viewing to notice that Toph picks her nose and flicks her booger onto the ceiling at the beginning of a scene (when they are stuck in Ba Sing Se) and it falls down and sticks to Sokka's face at the end of the scene.

post #30 of 64 Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This isn't the movie I'm waiting for tomorrow nor will I even rent it. I hope the one I am getting (ACC) which I'm going in with extremely high expectations doesn't disappoint me because the rest of November doesn't thrill me personally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page