Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored) - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 83Likes

post #271 of 363 Old 05-03-2017, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziba Ji View Post
can i download a copy and how?
Go to the first page of this thread. All the available discs are mentioned there. From here you can go to their individual threads.

Most discs threads have instructions on how to download and burn the demo discs. There are a few discs that are hard to find since they are so old, but for the most part you can fairly easily download the demo discs.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 363 Old 05-03-2017, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post
Go to the first page of this thread. All the available discs are mentioned there. From here you can go to their individual threads.

Most discs threads have instructions on how to download and burn the demo discs. There are a few discs that are hard to find since they are so old, but for the most part you can fairly easily download the demo discs.
Would I have to use text files changed to torrents?
post #273 of 363 Old 05-03-2017, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Liked: 2156
This board doesn't accept uploads with .tor extension. I get around that by zipping the torrent file, but for short text files, others just add a .txt extension to "fool" the board into accepting the upload. You just need to change the extension to .tor (or .torrent, or whatever your program requires).
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786

Last edited by LastButNotLeast; 05-04-2017 at 04:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 363 Old 05-09-2017, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know I have missed some over the past few years, just wanted to pop in and say a huge thank you to all of you who contributed and made the demo discs!! I've just gotten my first Atmos amp and upfiring speakers, they have really bought some life into my setup

Just making some iso's now to get over to my media system as I only have a handful of films with Atmos/DTS-X tracks, so the demo discs are great for testing and finding out which films I will be buying next!! Though the Denon AVR-X3300W certainly breathes new life into blus, even dvd rips, of my current collection with the DTS-MA+ Dolby/Neural X technology: http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/nero041001 Naturally I'm starting to watch through them again
SuperFist likes this.
post #275 of 363 Old 07-17-2017, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Are all the trackers for these demo disks down for everyone else?
post #276 of 363 Old 08-22-2017, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Any new demo discs in the works? I know that these are a pain to create, just wondering if anyone is starting up another as it seems like they all came in spurts and now nothing for a while.

Thanks again to all that have spent countless hours bringing these to the AVS community. I am still seeding all of the torrent ones after having them for several years. Traffic is really low, but that is why I keep seeding...
post #277 of 363 Old 08-23-2017, 08:43 PM

Thanks for continuing to seed.
I have collected clips for a volume 2 mid-bass demo disc and bunch of stuff, similar but different, that was meant to be for the VibSensor crowd, but there was no input and the mastering would need to be done by superleo, who's had lots of other stuff on his plate.
I have used AVCHDCoder to make a crude menu system which will handle up to 8 m2ts files so it plays like a BD (the two VS "discs"). The rest (for the mid-bass disc) I have as m2ts files. I just play them from my HTPC.
Making a full disc with working menus just falls under the "more trouble than it's worth" category.
Michael

post #278 of 363 Old 08-24-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, I've been just putting demo clips on my HTPC or in a Demo folder on my media server and that is working for me, I was just curious if someone was working on anything new.

I agree that it seemed like a TON of work to make a viable disc.
post #279 of 363 Old 08-25-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Thanks for continuing to seed.
I have collected clips for a volume 2 mid-bass demo disc and bunch of stuff, similar but different, that was meant to be for the VibSensor crowd, but there was no input and the mastering would need to be done by superleo, who's had lots of other stuff on his plate.
I have used AVCHDCoder to make a crude menu system which will handle up to 8 m2ts files so it plays like a BD (the two VS "discs"). The rest (for the mid-bass disc) I have as m2ts files. I just play them from my HTPC.
Making a full disc with working menus just falls under the "more trouble than it's worth" category.
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Yeah, I've been just putting demo clips on my HTPC or in a Demo folder on my media server and that is working for me, I was just curious if someone was working on anything new.

I agree that it seemed like a TON of work to make a viable disc.
Since a lot of people have HTPC's, BluRay players that can play multimedia files or media streamers has there been any thought to creating a collection of clips (suggested by people) and ripping the lossless clips and posting them for download? No need for authoring a disc, just files with clips from movies.

I've enjoyed all the demo discs and appreciate the work put in by those who author them. Some of my favorite demo clips are things I've captured from my own movies or taken from demo discs then ripped as an MKV file and thrown in a demo folder on my NAS. When I travel, I copy the files to a thumb drive and stream them on friends players. Just a thought. I know there are a ton of demo clips I don't know about or don't have and this would allow us to share without the huge undertaking of authoring a disc.

The Other Theater (most recent build)
Old Woods Remodel
Old Wood Theater (first build)
Marantz 8805 (Emotiva RMC in a box) | JVC X790R | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XPA 4-3s | Oppo 203 | DIYSG 1099 | DIYSG Volt 8 | DIYSG Volt 6 | SVS PC-4000 | Seymour UF 132"
post #280 of 363 Old 08-25-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 5425
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
Since a lot of people have HTPC's, BluRay players that can play multimedia files or media streamers has there been any thought to creating a collection of clips (suggested by people) and ripping the lossless clips and posting them for download? No need for authoring a disc, just files with clips from movies.

I've enjoyed all the demo discs and appreciate the work put in by those who author them. Some of my favorite demo clips are things I've captured from my own movies or taken from demo discs then ripped as an MKV file and thrown in a demo folder on my NAS. When I travel, I copy the files to a thumb drive and stream them on friends players. Just a thought. I know there are a ton of demo clips I don't know about or don't have and this would allow us to share without the huge undertaking of authoring a disc.

Well said, bro!

I was just thinking that this morning after watching Vol. 1 of the Bass disc. Since I use MPC-HC on my HTPC, which can't play menus, I simply play the m2ts files in order. Really no need for all that work with the menu, pics, authoring and whatnot.

This way, you could just upload m2ts files to a Google Drive and we could just share the folder. Either that or any other "simple" file hosting service, not torrents, which can take days or even a week or more to download (my computer has been downloading for 2+ days)!

Last edited by SuperFist; 08-25-2017 at 01:16 PM.
post #281 of 363 Old 08-25-2017, 12:34 PM

Been done:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...demo-disc.html
Michael

post #282 of 363 Old 10-03-2017, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Somehow I've never seen this thread, but to the previous person asking about uploading the files to a Google Drive, I have done that with all 4 (and currently 5th) volumes of my bass demo disc series, which Last linked to above me. I paid for extra space and would be willing to host the other demo discs if anyone would like. I do not have the others unfortunately, so they would have to be sent to me.
jamiebosco likes this.

If one is going to make a simplistic assessment of the value of different alignments, it would be that sealed/IB goes the lowest, at the highest cost per dB; horns have the lowest cost per dB at the expense of size, and vented box characteristics lie in between the other two. None is inherently superior across the board, neither is any inherently inferior across the board. The one to use is the one that fits your response and output needs, available space and bank account. -BFM
post #283 of 363 Old 10-03-2017, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 27
FWIW I think I'm still seeding most, if not all, of the demo discs. I'll double-check when I get home.

At this point, though, I think the only real reason to do a whole new demo disc would be to make an Atmos demo disc, or a better yet a 4K demo disc. Sadly, the latter is unlikely to happen until (1) UHD burners (let alone UHD readers!) become commercially available at a semi-reasonable price, and (2) the UHD copy protection is bypassed to the content could be ripped (a topic which we can't even really discuss here, except to say it's not possible yet).

At the moment, my understanding is, re point (1), the only UHD reader on the market I know of is a Pioneer drive that ONLY works with a single very specific computer chipset and Win10 (so unless you happen to have that exact setup, you'll need a whole new [very specific] computer to install the drive into), and re point (2), the UHD copy protection has yet to be breached by anyone, unlike DVD and BR.

Having a 4K demo disc with Atmos would be amazing. I'm sure it will happen someday. But that day is likely to be at least a year (if not multiple years) down the road, barring a major change.
post #284 of 363 Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'm interested in getting these disks, but have never explored into "torrent" territory. Is there a program which is considered safe to use which isn't going to turn my PC into part of a botnet and start mining bitcoins? How would I go about getting some from your google drive @Jindrak ?
post #285 of 363 Old 10-17-2017, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
I'm interested in getting these disks, but have never explored into "torrent" territory. Is there a program which is considered safe to use which isn't going to turn my PC into part of a botnet and start mining bitcoins? How would I go about getting some from your google drive @Jindrak ?
One of the better torrent clients and an easy one to use, is Bitlord.
It has an inbuilt browser (like most of them) but I find it quick-n-easy.
Kickass is still the best but they have to constantly change their sites to avoid being caught by the torrent police.
post #286 of 363 Old 10-18-2017, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
One of the better torrent clients and an easy one to use, is Bitlord.
It has an inbuilt browser (like most of them) but I find it quick-n-easy.
Kickass is still the best but they have to constantly change their sites to avoid being caught by the torrent police.
Thanks. I'm always very wary of downloading this stuff for fear of malware, etc. what would be a safe download site?
post #287 of 363 Old 10-18-2017, 11:24 AM

If you're getting "these discs," you have nothing to worry about; they're hosted and seeded by the good folks here. You get into trouble when you try to download something on a "pirate" site that may or may not be what you signed up for.
So just follow the links posted here and you'll be fine.
Michael

post #288 of 363 Old 10-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
If you're getting "these discs," you have nothing to worry about; they're hosted and seeded by the good folks here. You get into trouble when you try to download something on a "pirate" site that may or may not be what you signed up for.
So just follow the links posted here and you'll be fine.
Michael
Thanks!
post #289 of 363 Old 10-18-2017, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Can you guys confirm bitlord is safe to download from: http://www.bitlord.com/

Sorry, I'm probably being overly cautious with this...
post #290 of 363 Old 10-19-2017, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 179
For my stuff, you can also download from my google drive where I uploaded everything too, mitigating the need for torrent clients. If you need one, I would use qbittor ent (had to add the space since the forum censors the word).

If one is going to make a simplistic assessment of the value of different alignments, it would be that sealed/IB goes the lowest, at the highest cost per dB; horns have the lowest cost per dB at the expense of size, and vented box characteristics lie in between the other two. None is inherently superior across the board, neither is any inherently inferior across the board. The one to use is the one that fits your response and output needs, available space and bank account. -BFM
post #291 of 363 Old 10-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jindrak View Post
For my stuff, you can also download from my google drive where I uploaded everything too, mitigating the need for torrent clients. If you need one, I would use qbittor ent (had to add the space since the forum censors the word).
Hey thanks, I did find your thread with the link to the google drive. It's exactly what I needed and so much better than dealing with torrent stuff. Thanks!
post #292 of 363 Old 10-24-2017, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I'm setting up a Plex server for the first time, and I'd like to have the full demo disc on there. I tried using MakeMKV to do this (which works for other Blu-rays I own that I'm saving to the Plex server) but when I try, it gives me a bunch of separate MKV files. Does anyone know if there's a way that I can get it to create one MKV file with the menu and then select the scene I want? Or do MKV and Plex just not work that way?
post #293 of 363 Old 10-25-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post
I'm setting up a Plex server for the first time, and I'd like to have the full demo disc on there. I tried using MakeMKV to do this (which works for other Blu-rays I own that I'm saving to the Plex server) but when I try, it gives me a bunch of separate MKV files. Does anyone know if there's a way that I can get it to create one MKV file with the menu and then select the scene I want? Or do MKV and Plex just not work that way?
MakeMKV is good for ripping a single movie from a disc and tossing aside trailers, extras, and so forth.

These demo discs are clips from a variety of sources and not a single film so MakeMKV is not your tool.

You would want to find a way to playback an .ISO version of these instead. That will maintain the needed menus and such.

I don't use Plex, so I can't help with that part, but the other piece about MakeMKV is true.
post #294 of 363 Old 10-25-2017, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
MakeMKV is good for ripping a single movie from a disc and tossing aside trailers, extras, and so forth.

These demo discs are clips from a variety of sources and not a single film so MakeMKV is not your tool.

You would want to find a way to playback an .ISO version of these instead. That will maintain the needed menus and such.

I don't use Plex, so I can't help with that part, but the other piece about MakeMKV is true.
Thanks. I have the .ISO file, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way for Plex to play it.
post #295 of 363 Old 10-27-2017, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Rip it with MakeMKV into the individual MKV files. Manually identify and name each individual MKV file. Put them in a folder for that demo video in Plex. But for demos, you typically use Home Video library and not Movie library. Then just pick and play the individual sections you want to play. You won’t have the original menus. I’ve done this (with Emby) and it works fine.

Or, keep the iso and set an external blu-Ray player for iso files for Plex to call. I also do this with Emby (I chose Emby because it supported external players better than Plex)
dla26 likes this.
post #296 of 363 Old 10-31-2017, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure where to ask but ...
Is the Dolby Atmos 2016/2017 Blu-ray available anywhere? I’ve got the Sept 2015 disc, and the 2017 is mostly a repeat, but it has a few new demos that would be fun to have.

Hmm...I saw it today at BestBuy labeled Feb 2017. But it’s also listed as Sep 2016
http://www.demo-world.eu/2016/11/22/...disc-sep-2016/

Last edited by ShoutingMan; 10-31-2017 at 03:50 PM.
post #297 of 363 Old 10-31-2017, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
Not sure where to ask but ...
Is the Dolby Atmos 2016/2017 Blu-ray available anywhere? I’ve got the Sept 2015 disc, and the 2017 is mostly a repeat, but it has a few new demos that would be fun to have.

Hmm...I saw it today at BestBuy labeled Feb 2017. But it’s also listed as Sep 2016
http://www.demo-world.eu/2016/11/22/...disc-sep-2016/
There is a Dolby 2016 disc, but so far no known 2017 disc that I've seen.

There are people "advertising" a disc as being "CES 2017" but it is the same disc as the CEDIA 2016 which is date stamped 2016 as well. I expected a true 2017 disc to come out during CEDIA 2017, but never saw one. You can usually find the latest (both original and "reproductions") on eBay, and there is no mention of anything but a "CES 2017" which again is the Sept 2016 dated one. There is no mention of anything newer than that 2016 one on Demo World, or really any other site that lists demo discs.

What "2017" disc do you have?
ShoutingMan likes this.
post #298 of 363 Old 11-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is a Dolby 2016 disc, but so far no known 2017 disc that I've seen.

There are people "advertising" a disc as being "CES 2017" but it is the same disc as the CEDIA 2016 which is date stamped 2016 as well. I expected a true 2017 disc to come out during CEDIA 2017, but never saw one. You can usually find the latest (both original and "reproductions") on eBay, and there is no mention of anything but a "CES 2017" which again is the Sept 2016 dated one. There is no mention of anything newer than that 2016 one on Demo World, or really any other site that lists demo discs.

What "2017" disc do you have?
I was browsing BestBuy / Magnolia and they had an Atmos demo disc playing in the demo room. I opened up the player and the disc was labeled “Feb 2017”. But the content listed I think was the same as described for Sept 2016.
post #299 of 363 Old 11-01-2017, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoutingMan View Post
I was browsing BestBuy / Magnolia and they had an Atmos demo disc playing in the demo room. I opened up the player and the disc was labeled “Feb 2017”. But the content listed I think was the same as described for Sept 2016.
There is zero talk anywhere online, no photos, no links, no chatter about anything newer than September 2016 outside of these last few posts here. Not saying that you didn't see something, but I am reluctant to think that it is anything different than what has been out there since last year. Maybe BB got a custom demo, but I doubt it. Even at CEDIA 2017 the big manufacturers were still only showing and giving away the Sept 2016 Atmos disc, and they usually have the latest there.

Go back, get a photo, share it online, and then we can decode what it is and how we can get one on record.
post #300 of 363 Old 11-02-2017, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

I'm not at BB often, but I'll try next time I'm out there.

What are the recommended locations for getting a copy of the Sept 2016 Atmos disc? I've seen them on eBay but they have the look of bootleg copies that probably won't play on my system and might not actually be Atmos...or they're the $100/disc scalpers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page