audio glitch in new texas chainsaw massacre 7.1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Panson
  • 2 Post By PooperScooper
  • 1 Post By Thebarnman

post #1 of 6 Old 09-19-2014, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
audio glitch in new texas chainsaw massacre 7.1

There is a crackle in the left surround back speaker on the 7.1 version (doesn't happen in the 5.1 version) it happens right at the start of chapter 6 right after Franklin looks up at the bones on the door and yells out "Sally!" at the end of chapter 5. Surely they listened to the final product?

<><

RTR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-20-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quality control for most Blu-rays isn't that great, especially for a seldom-used audio feature. They likely tested it on a 5.1 system and neglected to check the 7.1 track.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #3 of 6 Old 02-01-2020, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'm glad I ran into this thread as I didn't want to start a new one just to ask about what I think might be an audio flaw on the 7.1 audio of the the Texas Chain Saw Massacre: 40th Anniversary Blu-ray. I recently bought it and finally watched it last night. The problem I noticed is with the Left Rear channel...the audio is there, but the sound is almost virtually none existent almost like it's not there. While at the same time, the Right Rear channel is loud and very noticeable (like the rest of the surround audio channels.)

I didn't make any notes as to the times in the movie where I noticed this, (it's throughout the whole movie) however to make it easy if anyone can check (in 7.1 audio) the very VERY last part of the film where Leatherface is swinging around the saw as the girl is finally escaping on the back of the pickup truck ALL the rears are very loud with the exception of the Left Rear channel.

To be clear, I'm not talking about the Left Surround channel, it's the Left Rear where the volume if VERY low (and much of the time it sounds like it's off) when compared to all the other rear channels.

My system has been professionally calibrated (audio and video) and I don't have this issue with any other movies with 7.1 audio tracks. Just to make sure I'm not wasting anyone's time; I just checked the 7.1 audio in "Need For Speed" and the Left Rear plays normally like the Right Rear.

Also when this version of Texas Chain Saw Massacre: 40th Anniversary Blu-ray came out in around 2014, I'm speculating that most probably only listened to it in 5.1 audio not 7.1 audio so the issue may not have been noticeable.

If anyone else can confirm this; I would appreciate it. I also wonder if there might have been a different pressing of this 40th anniversary from the All New 4k Digital Restoration release?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-01-2020, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1030 Post(s)
Liked: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
I'm glad I ran into this thread as I didn't want to start a new one just to ask about what I think might be an audio flaw on the 7.1 audio of the the Texas Chain Saw Massacre: 40th Anniversary Blu-ray. I recently bought it and finally watched it last night. The problem I noticed is with the Left Rear channel...the audio is there, but the sound is almost virtually none existent almost like it's not there. While at the same time, the Right Rear channel is loud and very noticeable (like the rest of the surround audio channels.)

I didn't make any notes as to the times in the movie where I noticed this, (it's throughout the whole movie) however to make it easy if anyone can check (in 7.1 audio) the very VERY last part of the film where Leatherface is swinging around the saw as the girl is finally escaping on the back of the pickup truck ALL the rears are very loud with the exception of the Left Rear channel.

To be clear, I'm not talking about the Left Surround channel, it's the Left Rear where the volume if VERY low (and much of the time it sounds like it's off) when compared to all the other rear channels.

My system has been professionally calibrated (audio and video) and I don't have this issue with any other movies with 7.1 audio tracks. Just to make sure I'm not wasting anyone's time; I just checked the 7.1 audio in "Need For Speed" and the Left Rear plays normally like the Right Rear.

Also when this version of Texas Chain Saw Massacre: 40th Anniversary Blu-ray came out in around 2014, I'm speculating that most probably only listened to it in 5.1 audio not 7.1 audio so the issue may not have been noticeable.

If anyone else can confirm this; I would appreciate it. I also wonder if there might have been a different pressing of this 40th anniversary from the All New 4k Digital Restoration release?
"What kind of Mansonite crazoid" could have created such a thing?" - Wes Craven
"The most horrifying picture I have ever seen." - Rex Reed
"As violent and gruesome and blood-soaked as the title promises. Well-made, well-acted, and all too effective." - Roger Ebert

Would the 2018 Limited Edition Steelbook be an improvement for your sound issues? Good luck.

Related:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison...d=13530&sel=on

https://thetexaschainsawmassacre.com/the-film/
Thebarnman likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #5 of 6 Old 02-02-2020, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 15192
The steelbook from BB is the 40th anniversary BD.

"But if you love the movie and you’re a sucker for kickass new art, you might be interested in Best Buy’s upcoming Steelbook Blu-ray release of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, arriving in stores on June 5, 2018. According to Best Buy’s listing, the Steelbook comes courtesy of MPI Media, which means it contains the 40th anniversary Blu-ray inside."

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-v...y-awesome-art/

Missed the Steelbook, just ordered it, since I have pretty much every US release of this movie on DVD or BD.
Thebarnman and Panson like this.

Cover my entire bodice with Avon Cologna!
post #6 of 6 Old 02-02-2020, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Thanks for the suggestions!

The 40th anniversary version I have is this release is shown in the attached image. I do believe it's the same version of the movie as the rest of the 40th anniversary editions...all taken from the same 4K master for these Blu-ray releases except repackaged differently. I'm assuming the audio is exactly the same on all the 40th anniversary editions...with mine in particular having that issue with the Left Rear channel.

I could email or contact who was responsible for this particular release and ask them if it was something they are aware of, or I could simply purchase a different pressing of the same movie (from the same 4K master and same 7.1 audio) and see if it has the same problem or not.

I've just have to assume there was a glitch in this particular pressing of it, and the source of the master audio track is probably just fine.

It's funny, I'm not so much into SteelBook releases as I am just wanting to get a good copy of the movie. I'm actually thinking of getting the original copy of the stand alone version of the movie that came out around 2014. If that's not available, I could try one of those SteelBook versions of it. The main thing is if it can fix that audio issue, that would make me happy with this purchase.

The one I bought was only $9.99. The original 40th anniversary stand alone is still available https://www.amazon.com/Texas-Chain-S...vies-tv&sr=1-1

One of the SteelBooks are also $9.99 https://www.amazon.com/Texas-Chain-M...v%2C189&sr=1-1

Looks like I have some digging to do!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tcm.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	2679538  
Panson likes this.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page