Disney to announce Original Trilogy Star Wars Blu-ray set at upcoming convention! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Phantom Stranger
  • 1 Post By Yosemite Dan
  • 1 Post By CatBus
  • 1 Post By wuther
  • 1 Post By Kilgore

post #1 of 29 Old 04-01-2015, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2619 Post(s)
Liked: 2324
Disney to announce Original Trilogy Star Wars Blu-ray set at upcoming convention!

Someone had to state it for April Fools Day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-01-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 239
You mean a trilogy without the lousy by todays standards of CGI added. Or that horrible dance number scene added to return of the jedi that added nothing to the movie except making ole George feel better
post #3 of 29 Old 04-01-2015, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Agreed and I really do think there is a chance this could happen this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
It would certainly give us a new hope for the future to see the Disney empire strike back against the less than stellar feelings invoked by the previous return of the Jedi to the big screen. (See what I did there?)
post #5 of 29 Old 04-02-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 647
There are rumors going around that Star Wars might actually hit streaming video on April 10th.
DavidHir and SMHarman like this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #6 of 29 Old 04-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 63
FWIW, there is a new 4K remastering of the OT underway, but it's the altered versions (this has caused some confusion and needless optimism because the publically-available images aren't obviously the Special Editions unless you're familiar with very subtle differences). Strangely, it's a scan of the 1997 version of the SE because that's the highest-res source (i.e. film) for such a job. Then it's getting further tweaked from there... which means, yes, inevitably we will have a FOURTH crappy alternate version of these films, rather than the films we're actually interested in.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-03-2015, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Why are they doing a new 4K remaster? The OT got a 4K scan by Lowry for the blu ray set that has been out for a while.
post #8 of 29 Old 04-03-2015, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman144144 View Post
Why are they doing a new 4K remaster? The OT got a 4K scan by Lowry for the blu ray set that has been out for a while.
Maybe they'll take the scan and remaster it not to suck.
post #9 of 29 Old 04-03-2015, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry guys. I was absolutely incorrect. The OT did NOT get a 4K scan for the Blu set, and it's Lucas' fault. According to secrethistoryofstarwars.com, when commenting on Lowry's work for the Blu release:
"Sound and Vision also questioned John Lowry about the unusual low-resolution of the release, a decision made by Lucasfilm and not his company, but he rather dodged the issue by alleging that the opticals were at less than 4K due to generational loss, but surmised that Lucas might re-do the entire process for an HD release. As it turns out, he hasn't, as the film has been shown many times on HD broadcasts using the HD master, although a re-do for Blu-Ray seems possible but unlikely."

Here are some additional comments:

"...the [Episode IV] negative was scanned only in HD resolution of 1080p, in 10-bit RGB. [36] This was a state worse than the primitive 2K scans ILM had done for the SE. By contrast, when Blade Runner was restored and enhanced in 2007, the live-action was scanned at 4K, the normal standard, and the visual effect shots at 8K. Godfather's 2008 restoration was scanned at 4K for the entire film, while Wizard of Oz's 2009 release was done at 8K. Why Lucas chose to source his master from a paltry 1080 HD scan is hard to fathom, especially when 4K was long in place as the standard, with 6K and 8K looming on the horizon as a viable replacement since data storage was becoming cheaper. One reason may be because Lucas was shooting the two prequels--Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith--on the Sony CineAlta, which itself was 1080 (being the first generation of HD feature-film cameras). This is another undoable element of the prequels--filmed on 1080p HD, they have, at the most, less than half the resolution of the 35mm original trilogy, with some arguing that 35mm resolves 5000 lines, meaning they have just under 1/5 the resolution (Phantom Menace was shot in 35mm, but then scanned in 2K--which is still an improvement over the following two films)..."

"[The 2004 DVD version as] released is a sloppy mess, in technical terms; blacks are crushed, colors bleed and pop distractingly, video noise is visible because of the oversaturation, skin tones are inconsistent and often very pink, scenes have weird casts to them (i.e. the Millennium Falcon scenes look very green), everything is much too dull and dim, contrast is not nominal, and many of the lightsaber effects are the wrong color (pink for Vader, green for Luke). The coloring is not even consistent with the prequels in some instances, whereas the originals were--for instance, the original blockade runner scene was meant to be Kubrick-esque bright white, while on the 2004 release it is a dull blue, yet strangely in Revenge of the Sith it is the bright white it is supposed to be. Lowry is often mistakenly pointed at as the culprits of these highly noticeable flaws, but in fact it is Lucas himself..."
post #10 of 29 Old 04-04-2015, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The page is up on Vudu.....

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#uiPage/102

Gamertag: Fargus
Playstation ID: Fargus79
post #11 of 29 Old 04-05-2015, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
Maybe they'll take the scan and remaster it not to suck.
Not sucking is not in the cards, I'm afraid, when it's based off the 1997 version.
post #12 of 29 Old 04-08-2015, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Having seen the announcements over the weekend, am I correct that this is just a "digital" download release of the current Blu-ray "complete saga" version and neither the original and unaltered versions of IV-VI nor a 4k-mastered version of all of them?

If so, how utterly disappointing.
post #13 of 29 Old 04-09-2015, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The Bluray of the OT is one of the worst transfers, sound and picture wise, of a release that had been so long awaited. The picture is painful to watch at times as stated but the sound was just as bad. The highs were tinny and shrill and the bass was overboosted where the whole soundstage just sounded artificial.

People can cite that you can only do so much with the dated source elements for the sound but when you look at the care and balance that was taken with other older iconic films like Jaws and Bladerunner, then you know they just did a piss poor job in all aspects of the Blurays. The worst part for me was reviewers praising the sound which tricked me into actually buying the OT on release.
Frank714 likes this.
post #14 of 29 Old 04-09-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Polishing a turd, as they say.
post #15 of 29 Old 04-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Star Wars releases have become, in a way, review-proof. Since it's now actually expected(!) that each release will significantly change the look and sound of the movies in many ways, there's no longer any reference upon which to base any comparison. For any other movie, a reviewer might show a screenshot of the old color timing compared to the new, listen to the old audio mix and compare it to the new, and describe how something got better or worse. Not for Star Wars--each release is a special snowflake, compared only against itself, so it always reviews well, no matter how crap it is. The best thing about the Blu-rays is that I don't think it's possible for anyone to release a worse version of these films, so there's room for hope.
Frank714 likes this.
post #16 of 29 Old 04-09-2015, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
You guys are great for a laugh, it's like some of you have been living in a cave. It was well documented that the SW BDs were from 2004 SE DVD masters as stated by Lucas himself in the NY Times before they were even released on BD and repeated ad nauseum on this sub-forum and elsewhere.

As for doing a 4k of the SE, I am pretty sure they were locked with a 2K DI back in 2004 and the CG definitely was. And forget about 4Ks of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, they were shot on 1080p locked cameras.

But anyway happy April's Fool.
post #17 of 29 Old 04-09-2015, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post
The Bluray of the OT is one of the worst transfers, sound and picture wise, of a release that had been so long awaited. The picture is painful to watch at times as stated but the sound was just as bad. The highs were tinny and shrill and the bass was overboosted where the whole soundstage just sounded artificial.

People can cite that you can only do so much with the dated source elements for the sound but when you look at the care and balance that was taken with other older iconic films like Jaws and Bladerunner, then you know they just did a piss poor job in all aspects of the Blurays. The worst part for me was reviewers praising the sound which tricked me into actually buying the OT on release.
Agreed. There are so many movies from that era which were properly remastered that retain a film-like look.

The current versions look so digital and crappy..and the sound is just way off.

It's really ashamed Lucas just didn't care enough about these movies one way or the other.
post #18 of 29 Old 04-10-2015, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviledTiger View Post
Having seen the announcements over the weekend, am I correct that this is just a "digital" download release of the current Blu-ray "complete saga" version and neither the original and unaltered versions of IV-VI nor a 4k-mastered version of all of them?

If so, how utterly disappointing.
Agreed. I watched the Top Gun remaster at the Empire Times Sq in FauxMAX. The image and sound were superb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Agreed. There are so many movies from that era which were properly remastered that retain a film-like look.

The current versions look so digital and crappy..and the sound is just way off.

It's really ashamed Lucas just didn't care enough about these movies one way or the other.
post #19 of 29 Old 04-10-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I think it's been well established that his version of caring is just different than ours. He wanted a consistent look for all six films, even if that meant dragging down the quality of the OT.
post #20 of 29 Old 04-10-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Return of the LD

Throwin in the 'Faces', 1995 LD of RotJ, using anamorphic lens and a monoprice composite coverter/upscaler to my DHC-40.1....JVC RS20 projector....VIDEO LOOKS WORSE THAN REAL LIFE====shot on iPod, and assisted by Bud Light....

Last edited by KBMAN; 04-10-2015 at 10:58 AM.
post #21 of 29 Old 04-10-2015, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
I think it's been well established that his version of caring is just different than ours. He wanted a consistent look for all six films, even if that meant dragging down the quality of the OT.
It's about money as Lucas stated himself in the NY Times, he is not going to pay for it out of his own pocket and apparently neither was Fox.
nathanddrews likes this.
post #22 of 29 Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I might have to retract my hate for the updated trilogy a little better. EP IV cgi looked horrible, but watching ESB and ROTJ, it was better. But I still cant stand that dance number in ROTJ. As much as ESB is my least favorite of the series, watching the SE versions made me appreciate how badly it wasnt messed up as NH or the dance number in ROTJ. It looked rather well on my 4k tv, better than some other remastered movies.
post #23 of 29 Old 04-16-2015, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
It's about money as Lucas stated himself in the NY Times, he is not going to pay for it out of his own pocket and apparently neither was Fox.
Like I said, he wanted them all to look consistent. Consistently cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
As much as ESB is my least favorite of the series...

Your mortal sin aside, I just can't endure the frozen grain and generally low detail of the Lowry masters. I'll take fake grain from one of the de-specialized editions over that any day.
post #24 of 29 Old 04-16-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Like I said, he wanted them all to look consistent. Consistently cheap.

Your mortal sin aside, I just can't endure the frozen grain and generally low detail of the Lowry masters. I'll take fake grain from one of the de-specialized editions over that any day.
I really didn't notice any and I have a 4k tv. When I watch Aliens on BD quite a few scenes are noisy/grainy and that's quite a newer movie
post #25 of 29 Old 04-16-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5l View Post
I really didn't notice any and I have a 4k tv. When I watch Aliens on BD quite a few scenes are noisy/grainy and that's quite a newer movie
IIRC, Aliens was given a fine layer of fake grain by Lowry when they remastered it, so that's more of an apples to oranges comparison. The detail and grain issues of Star Wars really stand out when projected at 120" - such that the HD broadcast versions from 10 (15?) years ago look more appealing in some scenes. Even though I know what Lowry did to Aliens, at least it looks great when on the big screen. We can't all get what we want.
post #26 of 29 Old 04-16-2015, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
The next trailer for The Force Awakens is now up on various sites. Looks like JJ might redeem himself for the travesty that was his Trek. Still has a long way to go to make up for LOST though.
post #27 of 29 Old 04-17-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
The next trailer for The Force Awakens is now up on various sites. Looks like JJ might redeem himself for the travesty that was his Trek. Still has a long way to go to make up for LOST though.
The fact that they are bringing the whole gang back together makes me very happy. I am also very nervous. Jar Jar Abrams just need to control himself with the snap zooms and chase-style camera work. Calm. The F. Down. The spectacle of the world and action has no meaning if the audience can't see what's happening.
post #28 of 29 Old 04-19-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 441
My one message to J.J. Abrams.

NO......FRICKIN......LENS FLARES!!!!!!!
DavidHir likes this.
post #29 of 29 Old 04-20-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As far as technical aspects go, I don't really care about flares since those can and do occur naturally. JJA just loves to overdo it. More than anything, I just want him to cool it on the super roller-coaster/shakey/wobble camera work. Lucas was all about ludicrous speed (trench run, speed bikes), but at least he made the camera still and in focus. The GOUT had lens flare, like all movies filmed with lensed cameras, but at least it was under control. Actually, the one thing that always bothered me about Star Wars was the way the whole screen would flash white whenever there were laser blasts. It's sort of Lucas's version of flares.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page