• 2 Post By HockeyoAJB
  • 2 Post By HockeyoAJB

post #1 of 17 Old 12-22-2015, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
UHD Bluray cloud?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard that UHD Blu-ray Discs will have a feature to upload the content on the disc to an Internet cloud of some sort, and make it available to download/stream to any compatible device. If so, does that mean that the picture of the downloaded copy of the content will look just as good as if you just watched it straight off the disc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-22-2015, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Many BDs have supported that for years now. UHD will probably have the same thing with the same lowering of pq depending on the studio.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-23-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 616
VUDU is about to start selling 4K movies. Realize that streaming 4K won't look anywhere nearly as good as a UHD or possibly even a good Blu-ray.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-23-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
VUDU is about to start selling 4K movies. Realize that streaming 4K won't look anywhere nearly as good as a UHD or possibly even a good Blu-ray.
Streaming 4K won't, but downloadable 4K might.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-23-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 738
UHD Bluray cloud?

The last feature on this list will be news to most, since Digital Bridge has been under wraps until today’s announcement. This feature could be described as “ripping gone legit”, the idea being that users will be able to purchase a Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc and make legal copies of the content onto portable devices – from the disc itself. Currently, studios have had success by bundling a separate “Digital Copy” DVD-ROM disc as a pack-in with flagship Blu-ray titles, but the introduction of Digital Bridge offers a more elegant solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"

Last edited by gomo657; 12-23-2015 at 04:13 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-23-2015, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post

The last feature on this list will be news to most, since Digital Bridge has been under wraps until today’s announcement. This feature could be described as “ripping gone legit”, the idea being that users will be able to purchase a Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc and make legal copies of the content onto portable devices – from the disc itself. Currently, studios have had success by bundling a separate “Digital Copy” DVD-ROM disc as a pack-in with flagship Blu-ray titles, but the introduction of Digital Bridge offers a more elegant solution.
I could not find this today’s announcement of which you write.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-23-2015, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

UHD Bluray cloud?

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ultra-h...etflix-quality
In essence if implemented the player will be capable of making a bit for bit copy of a uhd blu ray

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"

Last edited by gomo657; 12-23-2015 at 06:05 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-24-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
http://www.whathifi.com/news/ultra-h...etflix-quality
In essence if implemented the player will be capable of making a bit for bit copy of a uhd blu ray
That was announced on the 15th May rather then the 'yesterday's announcement' (like more details) you wrote about.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-27-2015, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello,

I just posted https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1998370-ultra-hd-blu-ray-specification-logo-finalized-21.html#post40073546 .

Does anyone have any idea how flexible the bit for bit copying will be? If this mean I can access copies across my home LAN between players, then we're potentially looking at a very economic Kaleidescape system at a fraction of the price, so the question is just how much flexibility is there in the implementation, bearing in mind we're going to be seeing data rates of up to 100 Mb/s, any kind of cloud based delivery will be recipe for low bit rate, compressed video and audio, as most people cannot download 100 Mb/s consistently, but across a LAN this is easy, and if the copies are tied to individual devices, I can't see why devices on a LAN couldn't do this and keep the studios happy.

Any thoughts or insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks and best wishes,

Dave
post #10 of 17 Old 12-27-2015, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well we really need to wait and see from CES what the capabilities are ideally we'll be able to add storage and create a copy (for personal use).

post #11 of 17 Old 12-27-2015, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogueaddict View Post
Does anyone have any idea how flexible the bit for bit copying will be? If this mean I can access copies across my home LAN between players, then we're potentially looking at a very economic Kaleidescape system at a fraction of the price, so the question is just how much flexibility is there in the implementation, bearing in mind we're going to be seeing data rates of up to 100 Mb/s, any kind of cloud based delivery will be recipe for low bit rate, compressed video and audio, as most people cannot download 100 Mb/s consistently, but across a LAN this is easy, and if the copies are tied to individual devices, I can't see why devices on a LAN couldn't do this and keep the studios happy.
If you mean the same high quality, as far as I can tell that is not allowed for the current BD format so why would they for UHD BD? I suspect like currently some degraded version.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-27-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
If you mean the same high quality, as far as I can tell that is not allowed for the current BD format so why would they for UHD BD? I suspect like currently some degraded version.
Not true. Bit for bit digital copies ARE allowed for current Blu-Ray. However, Kaleidescape is currently the only retailer who provides them. The reason most digital copy/UV retailers don't provide bit perfect copies is because their bean counters tell them that most consumers are not able to stream content at upwards of 30 Mbps, nor do they have the patience to wait 8+ hours for said content to download. By compressing the files more, they require far less bandwidth and/or time to stream/download, making their product palatable to a larger number of consumers, thereby increasing potential revenue.

Now, with the ability to copy the film directly from a secure disc to secure storage, providing higher quality is now possible without the trade offs in convenience or the high demands on Internet bandwidth that would limit the appeal of the product to many potential consumers.
Phantom Stranger and Stanton like this.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-28-2015, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Not true. Bit for bit digital copies ARE allowed for current Blu-Ray.
Wrong!!!!! Next you will be claiming AnyDVD makes it 'allowed'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Not true. Bit for bit digital copies ARE allowed for current Blu-Ray. However, Kaleidescape is currently the only retailer who provides them.
Kaleidescape is NOT part of the blu-ray format and uses tricky to 'provide' it's service at a additional premium price, it was not created by the blu-ray consortium and far from being supported by the consortium it was fought in the courts.

Last edited by wuther; 12-28-2015 at 07:19 AM.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-28-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
Wrong!!!!! Next you will be claiming AnyDVD makes it 'allowed'.

Kaleidescape is NOT part of the blu-ray format and uses tricky to 'provide' it's service at a additional premium price, it was not created by the blu-ray consortium and far from being supported by the consortium it was fought in the courts.
Your information on Kscape is outdated. They started out by providing "secure" rips of DVD's and Blu-Rays and the studios are/were very much against any copying of their content that does not require the original disc for playback or an alternate non-transferable license with attached DRM. However, their business model has been moving away from disc rips and towards digital downloads. The downloads they sell are bit perfect copies of the Blu-Ray version of the film and are sanctioned 100% by the studios whose titles they carry. Kscape is an official UV retailer and a member of the Secure Content Storage Association.
Dhalmo and zmarty like this.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-29-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 616
I still find it very difficult to believe that the UHD consortium would enable widespread adoption of this so-called cloud feature. It would come in handy but sounds far too consumer friendly for an industry that jealously locks down their content from customers.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #16 of 17 Old 12-30-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Liked: 893
If this is confirmed at CES, looks I'll be investing in another external USB HDD for my UHD BD player in the future

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.25.70]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
post #17 of 17 Old 12-30-2015, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post
If this is confirmed at CES, looks I'll be investing in another external USB HDD for my UHD BD player in the future
I wonder if the player would be able to reformat a standard external hard drive so that it can be used for storage of "digital bridge" copies or if you'll need a special drive like the WD My Passport Cinema (currently used with Samsung UHD TV's for storage of UHD downloads from M-Go).

Last edited by HockeyoAJB; 12-30-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page