Will Netflix Rent 4K UHD Discs? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #61 of 81 Old 01-21-2017, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Yes, with one class of exception: items priced over $7.99 for individual rental are NOT included in the subscription. If you rent those it is a separate charge not covered by your subscription.

Those items are well marked with a warning. It seems to be for out-of-print rarities and maybe expensive imports?

Otherwise I pay $15.99/month for five titles, a good deal. Note I use it mainly for standard Blu-rays.

For those just tuning in: we're talking about http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/

-Bill
I just started this service myself, and appreciate the ability to rent both 3D and 4K discs. I started this month with the max of 2 a month and upped that to the max of 5 a month plan starting in Feb (they seem to only be able to handle subscription changes at the beginning of a month). The only thing I'm a bit concerned about now is if I'll actually be able to manage to rent 5 in a month with only 1 out at a time, when it appears that most of their 4K discs have a "short wait". So far I've waited 10 days for one on the "short wait". They do let you choose another disc while you wait, and apparently will even send you the one you're waiting for if it becomes available while you still have the substitution disc, but if most of the discs all have a wait that won't be an option for long. I guess I'll see if things improve for a bit - maybe as more people learn of this service they are finding they will need to increase their inventory to accommodate their customer base.
BrandonH, blatz8 and Ted Brogan like this.

LG OLED65E6P | Oppo UDP-203 | Denon X4300H 7.2.4 | Emotiva XPA-3 | Apple TV 4K | DirecTV Now
Front L&R Paradigm Monitor 9 | Center Paradigm CC 290 | Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos Heights - all Definitive ProMonitor 800's
Subwoofers SVS PB-2000 X2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 01-21-2017, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK in CT View Post
....They do let you choose another disc while you wait, and apparently will even send you the one you're waiting for if it becomes available while you still have the substitution disc....
Thank you for this. Was curious how legit a system they have. I'm still betting the thread title comes to fruition the day Disney announces 4k BDs, but im in no rush, and would like to see more feedback like the above.
blatz8 likes this.

Samsung UN60KS8000
Samsung UBD-K8500
post #63 of 81 Old 01-22-2017, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Brogan View Post
Thank you for this. Was curious how legit a system they have. I'm still betting the thread title comes to fruition the day Disney announces 4k BDs, but im in no rush, and would like to see more feedback like the above.
It is a nice feature, however if most of their discs also have a status of "short wait" then it's tough to take advantage of. Hopefully they are going to increase their inventory. If you look at the first couple of pages of their 4k discs, almost all of them have a wait.

Edit: I received an email from them stating that they have recently increased their purchase volume for discs and expect the wait times to reduce soon. That's good news.
Mike_WI and blatz8 like this.

LG OLED65E6P | Oppo UDP-203 | Denon X4300H 7.2.4 | Emotiva XPA-3 | Apple TV 4K | DirecTV Now
Front L&R Paradigm Monitor 9 | Center Paradigm CC 290 | Side Surrounds, Rear Surrounds, 4 Dolby Atmos Heights - all Definitive ProMonitor 800's
Subwoofers SVS PB-2000 X2

Last edited by KK in CT; 01-22-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 81 Old 01-23-2017, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
^^ they must have read this thread.
blatz8 likes this.

Samsung UN60KS8000
Samsung UBD-K8500
post #65 of 81 Old 01-23-2017, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Brogan View Post
^^ they must have read this thread.
Perhaps. Although they were replying to my email questioning if it was still worth upgrading my subscription to 5 a month if every disc had more than a week wait and I can only have one out at a time.
blatz8 and Ted Brogan like this.
post #66 of 81 Old 02-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I decided to stop using them... just too long of a wait for discs I wanted to see. It worked well at times though. They definitely need to increase their inventory.
slimm, Ted99 and blatz8 like this.

Thanks!
Cory
Audio: Ascend Acoustics, Sennheiser HD 598, Denon AVR-S710W
Video: JVC RS400, 92" DES Abyss screen, HTPC/RTX 2080/i7 8700k 4.9GHz/madVR, Panasonic DMP-UB900 for streaming
post #67 of 81 Old 02-25-2017, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I will keep on eye on this service. Once their inventory builds then it may make sense, but with these wait times ..
post #68 of 81 Old 03-08-2017, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortplayer View Post
I will keep on eye on this service. If their inventory builds then it may make sense, but with these wait times ..
Fixed that for you.
blatz8 and comfortplayer like this.

Matt
post #69 of 81 Old 03-14-2017, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Redbox Online Chat Session

Hi all,

I just "chatted" with redbox online this morning inquiring about the potential for 4k/UHD disc rental in the future and they said they would document my email and conversation due the increased number of requests for 4k/UHD disc rentals.

I recently went through my initial testing of multiple 4K TV brands and models. I finally found the "right" TV for me and I am not at all anxious to drop $200+ on a UHD player, nor an I ready to pay $30+ for each movie. I am a regular redbox user, and I only rent Blu-ray discs. Personally, I cannot remember the last time that I rent a "regular DVD".

I would happily pay $5 or so to have the option avaliable to drive right down the road to the nearest redbox and pick up a UHD rental. If redbox were to offer UHD rentals, I would probably buy a UHD within the month.

Thanks for starting this thread! Cheer

BP
post #70 of 81 Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by blatz8 View Post
Hi all,

I just "chatted" with redbox online this morning inquiring about the potential for 4k/UHD disc rental in the future and they said they would document my email and conversation due the increased number of requests for 4k/UHD disc rentals.

I recently went through my initial testing of multiple 4K TV brands and models. I finally found the "right" TV for me and I am not at all anxious to drop $200+ on a UHD player, nor an I ready to pay $30+ for each movie. I am a regular redbox user, and I only rent Blu-ray discs. Personally, I cannot remember the last time that I rent a "regular DVD".

I would happily pay $5 or so to have the option avaliable to drive right down the road to the nearest redbox and pick up a UHD rental. If redbox were to offer UHD rentals, I would probably buy a UHD within the month.

Thanks for starting this thread! Cheer

BP
Personally i only buy movies I have not rented a movie in several years save a random red box, mainly to watch a movie I KNOW will be ****. But disc prices for UHD aren't that bad, granted in my town there are only 3 places to buy movies anymore, Best Buy, Walmart and Target. Being it is much easier to get in and out of BB for me thats where I go, but their is only a $1 or $2 price premium for UHD vs BR if that, which isn't that bad.
post #71 of 81 Old 03-14-2017, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 484
3D blu-ray rental's 4K "Short wait" for me is more than two weeks. Makes upgrading from 2/month a non-starter. I generally get 2K BR from Netflix on the day of first release. The many inventory locations for Netflix is also a big plus and I can generally get 3 discs per week on my 2 at a time account. I mailed the return of my 4K copy of "Suly" to 3D blu-ray rental last month. I just got the e-mail from 3D blu-ray rental that they had received it two weeks into this month. This is terrible service. The service from Netflix is so good that I would never use 3D blu-ray rental for a 2K disc. If 3D blu-ray rental's current service levels for 4K doesn't improve, It looks like I won't even get 2/month and that says "why bother". Bring it on Netflix or RedBox--you actually deliver!
slimm likes this.

JVC RS600 Chad-callibrated, 120" 1.3g in Batcave HT, Denon X8500 Polk LSiM703 fronts,
RTi-12 rears, LSiM 706 center, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, Emotiva E1 sides,
LSiC CH, Infinity 6" VOG. 4X 12" subs w/mini DSP on sub 1 and nearfield 18" from sub 2.
post #72 of 81 Old 03-21-2017, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked: 2337
Keep all deals talk and retail links in the designated Deals' Forum.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #73 of 81 Old 03-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 49
In the midwest, we actually still have a brick and mortar video store that has survived, Family Video. I popped in one this weekend and was shocked to see Passengers in 4K available to rent. The clerk told me that they are slowly phasing them in, and Passengers was their first title. The cost to rent was the same as any new release Blu Ray ($3.49/night). So, if you're in the midwest US, you might want to check out Family Video in the coming weeks.
dwaleke, skibum5000 and blatz8 like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vizio P55-C1 | Marantz SR6011 | Oppo UDP-203 | PS4 Pro | PS3
JBL ES Series Speakers | Dayton Audio ME650C Ceiling Speakers
post #74 of 81 Old 03-22-2017, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlkuhn1974 View Post
In the midwest, we actually still have a brick and mortar video store that has survived, Family Video. I popped in one this weekend and was shocked to see Passengers in 4K available to rent. The clerk told me that they are slowly phasing them in, and Passengers was their first title. The cost to rent was the same as any new release Blu Ray ($3.49/night). So, if you're in the midwest US, you might want to check out Family Video in the coming weeks.
Very cool!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
post #75 of 81 Old 03-31-2017, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
I wish I had a Family Video closer to me (nearest one is about 20-25 min. away. May not seem like much to some people but for a video rental store I want it to be like 5 min. away
skibum5000 likes this.

LG OLED B7A 65"
Philips BDP7501 UHD Blu Ray player
Apple TV4
Onkyo TX-SR606
Harmony Elite
post #76 of 81 Old 04-21-2017, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks all, for this thread. My TV died a few months ago and so I got a new TV (Vizio 55" M series), "calibrated it", and have been excited about 4k and HDR for a long time.

Honestly, the content situation has been demotivating for me. When I jumped on the BR bandwagon (the day one or another major studio threw its weight behind BR vice HDVD), there was slow but consistent action on the physical media front. Now, UHD Blu-ray has been around for about a year and the number of titles I like made from 4K DIs and HDR is limited. (Except in the nature documentary field) Streaming is better with 4k TV show coverage and a more limited movie selection than physical disc, but I just found out that if I wanted to go from 15MBPS to 50MBPS (my only choices) I'll have to pay another $35/month. Or wait until Verizon offers a better option.

Anyway, knowing about 3d bluray rentals is great. I'll give them a shot. After I get what will be my third Oppo.

Quote:
In the midwest, we actually still have a brick and mortar video store that has survived.....
Wow!
post #77 of 81 Old 04-21-2017, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Reason to be cautiously optimistic?

https://hdguru.com/bda-ultra-hd-blu-...-expectations/
post #78 of 81 Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
Reason to be cautiously optimistic?

https://hdguru.com/bda-ultra-hd-blu-...-expectations/
Article is from 6 months ago, and even if it wasn't, I'd say no.

Matt
post #79 of 81 Old 04-28-2017, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkosC View Post
...I just found out that if I wanted to go from 15MBPS to 50MBPS (my only choices) I'll have to pay another $35/month. Or wait until Verizon offers a better option.
Don't feel bad, I'm stuck here in the NW, where most providers still consider us hickville and deny us access. Sling TV for instance, which offers extra content only available to like 16 cities or so, does not have certain HD network channels and FS1 and FS2 in my area. You'd think our Seahawks having won the Superbowl in 2013, and then gone back to play in the next one would wake these goons up, but apparently not.

I'm also currently on 15MB Century Link DSL, and just found out Wave, the only cable service option in my apt, no longer has 55MB service. You have to buy their 100MB service now just to stream UHD movies. The regular price on that is $70 a month, and that's IF you have your own modem. That's about $35 a month more than the 15MB I'm paying for now.

Plus Wave caps your data at 400GB a month, which is only like 6 UHD movies. You have to pay $10 a mo more for 800GB, and $20 a mo more for unlimited. I currently watch about 12-16 Blu-ray discs a month from Netflix, so I'd have to go at least 800GB.

Granted I know there's not enough content for that many UHDs a month yet, but at the rate they're selling, there likely will be in a couple years.
post #80 of 81 Old 06-11-2017, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's a year and half since this was thread started. There is still no sign that Netflix is going to offer it. Anyone has an insight into this? I don't believe DVD rental is a dying business. They are still selling new UHD BR players and releasing new DVD titles aren't they. I'm sure there are still a lot money to be made there.
post #81 of 81 Old 01-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 466 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Redbox is trying it... https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...out-4k-rentals
n84china likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page