Lists of fake and real 4K UHD Blu-Rays (2K vs 4K) - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 142Likes

post #241 of 261 Old 01-28-2018, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool-aid23 View Post
It's back up but hasn't been updated in some time. Any1 have any info?
Yeah, they really need to update a few things, just read the synopsis on the Omen, it's hilarious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 261 Old 03-21-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Emery View Post
Great site.
post #243 of 261 Old 07-22-2018, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
realorfake4k.com appears to be down again. It goes to a WordPress admin page ???

I'll stop ripping my BDs when I can put them in and watch the movie without trailers, warnings, cutesy menus...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 261 Old 09-04-2018, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 625
I was looking for a comprehensive list of real vs fake 4k discs (since realorfake4k.com has been down for 6 weeks and shows no signs of life) and ran across this site :

http://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

so on the one hand a lot of it checks out but then they have Rogue One listed as Real 4k ... only, there is no UHD BR release for Rogue One...? so now I'm wondering if any of it is right?
post #245 of 261 Old 09-04-2018, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 503
None of these sites have any inside information. They are just compiling info from IMDB or other easily google-able sources.
post #246 of 261 Old 09-04-2018, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
There's something weird going on with the realorfake4k.com site.

It's almost like someone constructed a "plaster wall" over the front of the site to hide the page from view. If I scroll up and down on my phone fast enough I can get a glimpse of the real page behind it, but I can't engage any of the links I see.

It's very strange.
post #247 of 261 Old 09-05-2018, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by trptguy View Post
There's something weird going on with the realorfake4k.com site.

It's almost like someone constructed a "plaster wall" over the front of the site to hide the page from view. If I scroll up and down on my phone fast enough I can get a glimpse of the real page behind it, but I can't engage any of the links I see.

It's very strange.
if you go to his twitter account, he's having issues. The site has been like that since July 22.
post #248 of 261 Old 09-07-2018, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2414 Post(s)
Liked: 2046
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
None of these sites have any inside information. They are just compiling info from IMDB or other easily google-able sources.
They should look up the production company and send the producer an email. Some are happy to provide such information. I only have the DREDD UHD disc so far and I can believe it is "Fake 4K" because they probably didn't have the resources to do 4K CG back then at least economically.
post #249 of 261 Old 09-08-2018, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
I was looking for a comprehensive list of real vs fake 4k discs (since realorfake4k.com has been down for 6 weeks and shows no signs of life) and ran across this site :

http://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

so on the one hand a lot of it checks out but then they have Rogue One listed as Real 4k ... only, there is no UHD BR release for Rogue One...? so now I'm wondering if any of it is right?

It was mastered in real 4K. Hopefully, Disney will some day get around to releasing it on UHD. One would hope this Christmas to pair with Solo, but they probably want to sell Solo only first? Maybe next May?

It is even more frustrating that for many titles they even have final release 4k stuff ready and yet no UHD discs! Lawrence Of Arabia, South Pacific, The Sound Of Music, The Princess Bride, West Side Story, Edward Scissorhands, Rogue One, possibly TFA, etc. all stuff that would get a clear, real boost from 4k and they have it ready even but won't release it, meanwhile they put of tons of 2k DI and junk.
MentatYP and Frank714 like this.
post #250 of 261 Old 09-08-2018, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 74
One good way to see what the real story is in practical terms is caps-aholic http://www.caps-a-holic.com/all.php.
Compare UHD to blu-ray and see.

In a few rare cases, some listed as 2K DI, still show very considerably more real detail than the blu-ray, such as with The Shallows (almost makes you think they went back and used the 3.4K capture instead of the 2K DI for all of the many scenes without SFX, although maybe the blu-ray was just that bad, perhaps the latter is more likely since the former is so rarely done). Many of the 2K DI also show more detail, but just a trace and there are few that almost arguably less to have less detail than the blu-ray, if anything (Serenity). There are some that are mix and match, The Martian (any scene with no SFX is true 4k, ones with SFX are 2k DI, the latter is most scenes though) or say The Mummy (but this has a lot of scenes that end up true) or Ex Machina (this one is interesting since even many of the SFX stuff seems to show a lot more detail, not sure how that can be, maybe the blu-ray was total junk or they did redo more stuff in 4k?).

Then for the true 4k titles, some shows tons more detail than 1080P ever could, others only modestly more. Some of these ones look vastly more detailed than the blu-ray (one example is a few of the Mission Impossible titles which have crazily more detail than the blu-rays, although one of the true 4k MI only has a trace more real detail for whatever reason and the 2k DI MI ones don't really have any more detail at all). One odd one is that Annihilation is listed as 4K DI on those sites, but the one comparison I've seen shows no more detail whatsoever than the blu-ray, although the color saturation and everything is remarkably better and richer and more like the theatrical presentation. Quite a few of the true 4k ones do show a lot more detail though.

One curious one is Terminator 2 UHD which got so slogged I hadn't even bothered to give it a second thought. However, it actually shows vastly more detail than any U.S. blu-ray release has and even noticeably more than the recentish special remastered overseas Studio Canal blu-ray which itself shows a lot more detail than any U.S. release. Of course it still does have the get rid of all film grain look that most hate so that is why it got slagged. But the slagging made it sound utterly useless and yet it's clearly, grain lacking problem and all, still clearly the most detailed option for it ever released and at only $12 bucks now seems like a no brainer.
post #251 of 261 Old 09-18-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post
One good way to see what the real story is in practical terms is caps-aholic http://www.caps-a-holic.com/all.php.
Compare UHD to blu-ray and see.

Thanks for the reminder, I think Oblivion remains a really strong offender in its current UHD manifestation:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=...=1&x=298&y=210

(the only good thing that came out of it is that I postponed purchase of a UHD Player and can now use a Panasonic 424 for the upcoming Matrix Trilogy)

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #252 of 261 Old 09-18-2018, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
Yea, I see nothing good about the Oblivion UHD compared to the Blu Ray. I thought it was my imagination when I watched it. Not to mention it has teal curse added at no additional charge.
post #253 of 261 Old 06-27-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Upscaled 4K vs True 4K UHD Discs

We know that some movies on UHD media is 2k upscaled for cheaper projects, and then upscaled to 4K for the UHD disc. There are a few sites out there that list true 4K vs upscaled movie lists. Other than that, how are the consumers supposed to be able to tell? Are there any markings on the box that would say? How do sites that are out there with the lists know for sure that a UHD disc is upscaled or 4K?

Not that it matters much, as even the 2k upscaled stuff will be sharper and have HDR, but it is helpful to know your true demo material

Site examples:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...-home-theater/
https://4kblurays.com/

Last edited by NismoZ; 06-27-2019 at 04:48 PM.
post #254 of 261 Old 06-27-2019, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4457 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
It's not just "cheaper projects" upscaled to 4k. Most movies made in Hollywood (and throughout the world) are produced with a 2k Digital Intermediate. Even the $356 million Avengers: Endgame, which was shot with special 6k IMAX branded cameras, was downconverted to 2k during post-production, and every "4k" edition is re-upconverted from that.

The post-production pipeline for movies is optimized for 2k. Doing everything at 4k is exponentially more expensive and (even more importantly) time-consuming. These big Marvel blockbusters have a strict release schedule they need to hit, and the only way for all of the myriad VFX vendors to meet their deliverables on time is to limit them to 2k.

How are the consumers supposed to be able to tell? I think the point is that you're not supposed to be able to tell. The studios don't want you to know that info.

For a quick reference, go to the "Technical Specs" section of the IMDb page for whatever movie you're questioning and check to see if it has info on the DI.
MentatYP likes this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #255 of 261 Old 06-27-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It's not just "cheaper projects" upscaled to 4k. Most movies made in Hollywood (and throughout the world) are produced with a 2k Digital Intermediate. Even the $356 million Avengers: Endgame, which was shot with special 6k IMAX branded cameras, was downconverted to 2k during post-production, and every "4k" edition is re-upconverted from that.

The post-production pipeline for movies is optimized for 2k. Doing everything at 4k is exponentially more expensive and (even more importantly) time-consuming. These big Marvel blockbusters have a strict release schedule they need to hit, and the only way for all of the myriad VFX vendors to meet their deliverables on time is to limit them to 2k.

How are the consumers supposed to be able to tell? I think the point is that you're not supposed to be able to tell. The studios don't want you to know that info.

For a quick reference, go to the "Technical Specs" section of the IMDb page for whatever movie you're questioning and check to see if it has info on the DI.
Thanks for that tip on IMDB -> Details -> Technical Specs section and checking for the Digital Intermediate.
post #256 of 261 Old 06-28-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 2062
Re 4K UHD real or fake, I have it easy, I don't care. My HT chain has 4K UHD HDR10, and that's it. And it'll remain that way until a 8K or 16K TV.

Real or fake, the picture in most cases is still excellent, and easily beating BD. Case in point, the some real, some fake Harry Potter 8 film 4K UHD HDR box.

Real is nice, though. Cases in point: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children; Jurassic Park:Fallen Kingdom; Murder on the Orient Express; Bohemian Rhapsody; The Greatest Showman.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #257 of 261 Old 06-28-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Spyderman Into the Spyder-verse on IMDB says: Digital Intermediate, EFilm. What does that mean on the whole 2k/4k processing thing?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4633694...ef_=tt_dt_spec

Last edited by NismoZ; 06-28-2019 at 11:34 AM.
post #258 of 261 Old 06-28-2019, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6632 Post(s)
Liked: 6445
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
Spyderman Into the Spyder-verse on IMDB says: Digital Intermediate, EFilm. What does that mean on the whole 2k/4k processing thing?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4633694...ef_=tt_dt_spec

It’s a DV showcase, resolution matters “little”. While having a 4K or more source is nice, focusing on that aspect will make you miss out on some great titles.

For this title in particular as far as I know there has been no definitive answer, it is assumed it is a 2K DI since it would cost a lot of money for an animated movie to be 4K.
post #259 of 261 Old 06-28-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
It’s a DV showcase, resolution matters “little”. While having a 4K or more source is nice, focusing on that aspect will make you miss out on some great titles.

For this title in particular as far as I know there has been no definitive answer, it is assumed it is a 2K DI since it would cost a lot of money for an animated movie to be 4K.
Thank you. I am not skipping on any 4k, upsampled or not. Just trying to understand all the technical things around it.

Here is another very handy link, where you can filter lists: https://referencehometheater.com/ult...ay-title-info/

Last edited by NismoZ; 06-29-2019 at 12:34 PM.
post #260 of 261 Old 06-29-2019, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
If "4K" resolution was all that UHD BD brought to the table all this gnashing of teeth over native vs. upscaled would have more merit. HDR & WCG that you can't get on a standard BD and immersive object based audio that you often don't get on the standard BD make far more of a difference than the resolution gain.
Rgb, Art Sonneborn and NismoZ like this.
post #261 of 261 Old 09-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Watching Planet Earth II UHD HDR Blu-ray for the first time on an LG OLED was quite a experience. Then watching other so-called 4k Blu-rays was disappointing to say the least. Okay, the HDR was an improvement but calling it 4k was a ripoff.

In retirement, EVERYDAY is a Saturday! ;)

LG OLED65C8PUA, Marantz SR-7013, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 UHD Blu-ray Player, nVidia Shield TV (2017), 2 - HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofers, Poke Audio fronts, center & surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page