Who wants a UHD HDR version of The Abyss? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 114Likes

post #61 of 113 Old 07-25-2016, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 647
May as well drop in a request for UHD True Lies, UHD Alien(s)³R, and T1 and T2 while we're at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 113 Old 07-25-2016, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post
Yes now I will be asking for the same thing to be done for the movie "RAD". Probably the "Best" worst movie of all time.
Best phallic flick of all time.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #63 of 113 Old 08-04-2016, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Alien/Aliens are being prepped for release in time with the Prometheus sequel. As we know, both had 4K re-masters done for their respective BD releases, but no HDR master was done at the time, cause there was no workflow for it back then. Alien 3 and Resurrection are no longer part of the continuity and will likely never see any release beyond Blu-Ray, especially since both require significant time and money to release at 4K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 113 Old 08-08-2016, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2814 Post(s)
Liked: 2731
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
Alien/Aliens are being prepped for release in time with the Prometheus sequel. As we know, both had 4K re-masters done for their respective BD releases, but no HDR master was done at the time, cause there was no workflow for it back then.
Can you clarify the implications for me please. Do you mean Alien/Aliens is simply being prepped for re-release in standard Blu-Ray, or do you think they will be re-done for UHD Blu-Ray?
post #65 of 113 Old 08-08-2016, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Can you clarify the implications for me please. Do you mean Alien/Aliens is simply being prepped for re-release in standard Blu-Ray, or do you think they will be re-done for UHD Blu-Ray?
We're talking about UHD releases, so I'm obviously talking about a UHD release of both films. Fox will either release them with the Prometheus sequel - now carrying an Alien title - that hits next year or the upcoming Aliens sequel that is coming in 2018/2019.
post #66 of 113 Old 08-08-2016, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4743 Post(s)
Liked: 2777
Quote:
We're talking about UHD releases, so I'm obviously talking about a UHD release of both films. Fox will either release them with the Prometheus sequel - now carrying an Alien title - that hits next year or the upcoming Aliens sequel that is coming in 2018/2019.
The continuity was lost after Aliens. IMHO, of course. This is only a two film franchise in my mind... like Terminator. I'm all in for really fantastic UHD Blu-ray releases of the original classics, so I'm somewhat glad for these unnecessary and mostly low grade additions spurring the tie-in discs. If it wasn't for them, Fox probably would hold off for quite some time.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #67 of 113 Old 08-09-2016, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's a foregone conclusion that we'll see the Alien and Terminator franchise on UHD Blu-ray.

4K scans have been done, so we can assume that after they re-re-re-remaster them for HDR, we'll see a release to coincide with whatever garbage sequel is released. Then after that they'll do 8K/12K scans and re-re-release them... LOL
post #68 of 113 Old 08-09-2016, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think we'll see Terminator for at least four more years. That franchise has been Terminated and will have no further films. I'm sure we'll get another T2 BD for the 3D. That's a given.
post #69 of 113 Old 08-10-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think we'll see Terminator for at least four more years.
T1, yes I could see that being slow, but T2 has is usually an early release on every format... and then re-released multiple times throughout a medium's lifetime. I would expect T2 pretty soon... 2017 maybe.
post #70 of 113 Old 08-10-2016, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4472 Post(s)
Liked: 3397
Quote:
Alien 3 and Resurrection are no longer part of the continuity and will likely never see any release beyond Blu-Ray,
Quote:
Fox will either release them with the Prometheus sequel - now carrying an Alien title - that hits next year or the upcoming Aliens sequel that is coming in 2018/2019.
You're jumping the gun quite a bit here. Although Neill Blomkamp's proposed Aliens sequel would disregard Alien 3 and Resurrection, that project has not gotten beyond the early development stages. Fox has not greenlit it for production. In fact, the studio put it on the backburner to focus on Ridley Scott's Prometheus sequel (Alien: Covenant). Sigourney Weaver says she still hopes it will get made, but Blomkamp is already moving on and is currently attached to another unrelated sci-fi movie.

Depending on how well or poorly Covenant performs, 'Aliens: Fanboy Retcon' may get shelved permanently like so many other failed projects trapped in Development Hell.

Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection are still in the official franchise continuity.
Brandon B likes this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #71 of 113 Old 08-11-2016, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
T1, yes I could see that being slow, but T2 has is usually an early release on every format... and then re-released multiple times throughout a medium's lifetime. I would expect T2 pretty soon... 2017 maybe.
With T2 3D scheduled for an October theatrical release, I's assume we'll see that disc release before the year is out. As for a stand-alone UHD 2D version...yeah, probably 2017. But you never know.
post #72 of 113 Old 05-18-2018, 07:43 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 944
post #73 of 113 Old 05-18-2018, 07:53 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

I plan a ceremonial burning of my Abyss DVD release upon release day of Abyss on UHD 4K HDR on disc
post #74 of 113 Old 07-02-2018, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 2958 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
I plan a ceremonial burning of my Abyss DVD release upon release day of Abyss on UHD 4K HDR on disc
Is there still no word on when the UHD release of the Abyss is coming out? I really want to watch this movie with my kids. They have never seen it because I refuse to let them see the abomination that is the DVD.
post #75 of 113 Old 07-02-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Is there still no word on when the UHD release of the Abyss is coming out? I really want to watch this movie with my kids. They have never seen it because I refuse to let them see the abomination that is the DVD.
I read on The Digital Bits that it's absolutely guaranteed to come out before the end of 2016.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #76 of 113 Old 07-03-2018, 06:31 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I read on The Digital Bits that it's absolutely guaranteed to come out before the end of 2016.
It's quite amazing that such an outstanding Scifi, action, technical film from a big name guy like Cameron STILL has no reference quality release, or even a mediocre BD release, anything better than the DVD abomination.

It is one of the most re-watchable films for my wife and I...

At this point, think the Abyss on BD/UHD is like nuclear fusion- always 5 years away
post #77 of 113 Old 07-03-2018, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Weren't all laser Discs 4:3 aspect ratio? If it was widescreen in a 4:3 aspect ratio then it would have letter boxing all the way around on a modern 16:9 display. Again that isn't what I am looking for.
Not all. Toshiba made a few (I don't know how many) "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs" laserdisc for customers who purchased their early 16x9 350 lbs rear projection TVs. This was pre-DVD era. I owned one of these discs. I think "Free Willy" was the title. Anyway, these were not for mass market, just a promotional product.
Rgb and mpgxsvcd like this.

In retirement, EVERYDAY is a Saturday! ;)

LG OLED65C8PUA, Marantz SR-7013, Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 UHD Blu-ray Player, nVidia Shield TV (2017), 2 - HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subwoofers, Poke Audio fronts, center & surrounds.
post #78 of 113 Old 07-03-2018, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Unhappy

Quote:
At this point, think the Abyss on BD/UHD is like nuclear fusion- always 5 years away
It is the "Duke Nuk'em Forever" of Movies.
Rgb and KMFDMvsEnya like this.
post #79 of 113 Old 07-03-2018, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Who owns the rights to The Abyss? Honestly, is there a studio that is holding this up or is it solely up to Cameron?
post #80 of 113 Old 07-03-2018, 08:38 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Who owns the rights to The Abyss? Honestly, is there a studio that is holding this up or is it solely up to Cameron?
Who else would be holding it up with legal and business issues? Fox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Abyss

Quote:
In 2014 the pay cable channels Cinemax and HBO began broadcasting both versions of the film in 1080p.[53][54] Both broadcasts began circulating amongst online piracy communities shortly thereafter. Netflix's UK service began offering the theatrical version in 1080p in 2017.[55] At an October, 2014 event James Cameron and Gale Anne Hurd were asked about a future blu-ray release for the film. Cameron gestured to the head of Fox Home Entertainment, implying the decision lay with the studio.[56] Five months later another article suggested a spat between Cameron and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment was responsible for the delay.[57] While promoting the upcoming 30th-anniversary Blu-ray release of Aliens at Comic-Con in San Diego July 2016 James Cameron confirmed that he was working on a remastered 4K transfer of The Abyss and that it would be released on Blu-ray for the first time in early 2017. Cameron added, "We've done a wet-gate 4K scan of the original negative, and it's going to look insanely good. We're going to do an authoring pass in the DI for Blu-ray and HDR at the same time."[58] It is unclear if this new scan is the one used to create the 1080p broadcasts.

It is unknown whether both the theatrical and special-edition versions will be included. As of 2018, the Blu-ray is yet to be released.
Apparently an R6 anamorphic DVD was produced- don't know about it's quality

Quote:
All available DVDs are non-anamorphic with the exception of the Chinese DVD produced for Region 6 by Excel Media.
mpgxsvcd likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 07-04-2018 at 09:26 PM.
post #81 of 113 Old 07-03-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post
Not all. Toshiba made a few (I don't know how many) "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs" laserdisc for customers who purchased their early 16x9 350 lbs rear projection TVs. This was pre-DVD era. I owned one of these discs. I think "Free Willy" was the title. Anyway, these were not for mass market, just a promotional product.
They were called "Squeeze LDs." Four titles were pressed as promotional items with the purchase of a Toshiba 16:9 RPTV: Free Willy, The Fugitive, Grumpy Old Men, and Unforgiven.

Another seven discs were released to mass market sales in Japan: Basic Instinct, Cliffhanger, Cutthroat Island, Showgirls, Stargate, Terminator 2, and a THX remastered copy of Terminator 2.

More info here:
http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/squeeze.html

Josh Z

post #82 of 113 Old 07-03-2018, 09:52 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They were called "Squeeze LDs." Four titles were pressed as promotional items with the purchase of a Toshiba 16:9 RPTV: Free Willy, The Fugitive, Grumpy Old Men, and Unforgiven.

Another seven discs were released to mass market sales in Japan: Basic Instinct, Cliffhanger, Cutthroat Island, Showgirls, Stargate, Terminator 2, and a THX remastered copy of Terminator 2.

More info here:
We gotta teach these HT youngin's where we'all came from

Things were pretty darn good, if not great, in the Laserdisk era (80's-90's) for home cinema buffs.

Lossless PCM audio? Pfft, LD had that in the 80's

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Wh...etter/id/15519

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/114-h...fferences.html

Dolby Digital 5.1 discrete?- 1995 done and done.

Quote:
The first AC3 laserdisc was "Clear and Present Danger" and was released in 1995; the AC3 soundtrack is stored in the right analog channel, and is RF modulated; to be decoded, a laserdisc player with the AC3 RF output is needed, and must be connected to an RF demodulator and a Dolby Digital decoder, or to an amplifier with built-in RF demodulator and DD decoder.

The AC3 soundtrack has always the 384kbps bitrate at 48KHz, almost always 20bit 5.1 channels, but in some (rare) cases the number of channels could vary - usually during extra material like making of, documentary etc.

DTS? 1997

Quote:
The first DTS laserdisc was "Jurassic Park" and was released in 1997; DTS soundtrack takes the place of the PCM soundtrack, leaving free two analog tracks, (almost) always used for the movie soundtrack, allowing the owner of an old analog-only player, or who has not a DTS decoder, to listen to it. To be decoded, a laserdisc player with digital output is needed, and a DTS decoder, or an amplifier with built-in DTS decoder.

As the DTS soundtrack are in place of the PCM one, it has the same technical data, 16bit 44.1KHz 1441kbps but, at the contrary of the PCM two channels, it has 5.1 discrete channels.

The laserdisc DTS soundtrack IS NOT the same of the theatrical one: infact, in theaters, DTS uses a different codec, APT-X, encoded as ADPCM at 882kbps and recorded on CD-ROMs, with a compression of 4:1, while DTS on laserdisc uses Coherent Acoustics perceptual coding compression scheme, encoded at 20bit 44.1KHz with a bitrate of 1235kbps (padded to 1441kbps to be the same of PCM soundtracks) and a compression of 3:1. Hence, the DTS laserdiscs should be better than the theatrical DTS, as the home codec is newer and better, and bitrate higher with less compression.

As almost all DTS DVD have the so-called "half bitrate" soundtracks (754kbps padded to 768kbps) instead of full bitrate (1509kbps padded to 1536kbps), the laserdisc DTS soundtracks is always better than "half bitrate" DTS DVD; in some cases, could be preferable to full-bitrate DTS DVD due to different mixes used.
Anamorphic widescreen? Been there, done that.

Extras? LD had deluxe editions like the Abyss chock full of 'em-

Quote:
The first THX-certified LaserDisc title of the Special Edition Box Set was released in May 1993 and was a best-seller for the rest of the year. The Special Edition was released on VHS in 1996 as a part of Fox Video's Widescreen Series with a seven minute behind-the-scenes featurette with footage that did not appear in the Under Pressure: The Making of The Abyss documentary that was included on the Laserdisc and DVD releases.[50] The Special Edition's first DVD release in 2000 was on two discs and featured animated menus[51], both the theatrical and Special Edition versions of the film along with the Laserdisc's extensive text, artwork and photographic documentation of the film's production, a ten minute featurette and the sixty minute documentary Under Pressure: The Making of The Abyss.[52]
...and all this with BIG cover art/books/sleeves, and ZERO copy protection/Macrovision/DRM/Cinavia/HDCP/etc

Yes, LD's had multiple language and commentary audio tracks too.

On good CRT displays of ~50" or less from a good LD player via Svideo or analog Component YPbPr, the picture easily rivaled or bested DVD.

It was only after several years (post ~2000) when DVD mastering improved that the digital video (perhaps coupled with HDMI/SDI digital video outputs) of DVD proved its worth- but that was the only improvement (Other than smaller form factor). Better LCD projectors and the introduction of DLP and LCOS pj's allowed screens of 8ft wide and more, which further showed the improvements of digital video on well mastered DVD's. OTA 1080i/720p HD resolutions around 2000 further enabled bigger/wider screens than the rear projection CRT's and front monster 3 lens RGB CRT's allowed, unless you were an Art Sonneborn with dual stack Sony G90's

Now git off my lawn!

Last edited by Rgb; 07-08-2018 at 09:01 AM.
post #83 of 113 Old 07-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

The Abyss THX Laserdisk box set is enshrined in a place of honor in the LD + vinyl soundtrack movie display at the entrance of my dedicated basement theater.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT-entrance.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	488.9 KB
ID:	2423792   Click image for larger version

Name:	HT-landing.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	572.4 KB
ID:	2423794  
post #84 of 113 Old 07-03-2018, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Fox has the rights, but it's hard to say where the actual control is between Cameron/Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox. Much like Spielberg's post-Jurassic Park position, it's believed that Cameron's post-Titanic clout gives him carte-blanche over his catalog releases and any associated works to which his name is attached. However, Fox did sign off on an Abyss video game - FPS no less - sequel that Cameron had nothing to do with, that came out just post-Titanic.
post #85 of 113 Old 07-04-2018, 08:18 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
At this point, they will probably wait for the 30th Anniversary of Abyss (1989-2019) for the UHD/BD release, also to coincide with Cameron's Avatar sequel(s).

If they had tried for the 25th Anniversary, too early for UHD HDR release.

Still no excuse for not having a reference 2K BD for the 20th or 25th Anniversaries, though
mpgxsvcd likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 07-06-2018 at 07:56 AM.
post #86 of 113 Old 12-27-2018, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Question

Quote:
At this point, they will probably wait for the 30th Anniversary of Abyss (1989-2019) for the UHD/BD release, also to coincide with Cameron's Avatar sequel(s).

If they had tried for the 25th Anniversary, too early for UHD HDR release.

Still no excuse for not having a reference 2K BD for the 20th or 25th Anniversaries, though
Any news on this? Hopefully 2019 is the year that we get to see this movie again. I haven't watched it since it first came out on VHS.
tanis38 and yamato72 like this.
post #87 of 113 Old 12-27-2018, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Any news on this? Hopefully 2019 is the year that we get to see this movie again. I haven't watched it since it first came out on VHS.

I still remember my disappointment when I bought the DVD, ran the macro on my Pronto remote to put my 36" 4:3 Trinitron into 16:9 squeeze and started the disc to find that it was non-anamorphic.

I need this.
post #88 of 113 Old 12-28-2018, 07:03 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland6465 View Post
I still remember my disappointment when I bought the DVD, ran the macro on my Pronto remote to put my 36" 4:3 Trinitron into 16:9 squeeze and started the disc to find that it was non-anamorphic.

I need this.
Yes, the Abyss DVD release is one of the greatest crimes against filmanity
mpgxsvcd and yamato72 like this.
post #89 of 113 Old 12-28-2018, 07:06 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Recent discussion re: Abyss and True Lies in HD/BD/UHD

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=15559752

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ple...release.63920/

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...bnRY5fSO-coyU/
mpgxsvcd likes this.
post #90 of 113 Old 12-28-2018, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Looks like it was available on Amazon Prime Video in 1080p for a while, but now it says "Our agreements with the content provider don't allow purchases of this title at this time."

Of course, if you know where to look, it seems like someone has captured the Amazon stream at ~19GBs.
mpgxsvcd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page