Star Wars: The Force Awakens Initial Blu-ray Release - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 91 Old 03-20-2016, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ, Telluride, CO, & Los Angeles,CA, USA
Posts: 3,367
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Initial Blu-ray Release

Seems a dedicated thread is in order for the general blu-ray release...details, impressions, extras, etc..

Here are links to the extras that sound pretty awesome. Heads-up as there may be what are considered spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=5cPvY17ZdFM
Cam Man is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 91 Old 04-05-2016, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
skibum5000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Warning: Target exclusive TFA is a bit of a rip-off

WARNING: The whole exclusive bonus content Target version is a rip-off thanks to greedy Disney!

Disney, despite making billions on this, was so chintzy that they wouldn't even let Target put the content on disc! Disney just uses it to promote their useless Disney Anywhere Movies website. You have to redeem the digital download on their site to get the Target bonus stuff and then you get stuck with streaming only versions of the exclusive content! Not only is it not on disc, but you can't even download it!

Even worse, when you connect your account over to iTunes, in the hopes of being able to download it over there, not only can you not download it over there, but the Target content doesn't even show up iTunes and what stuff does show up isn't regular iTunes movie/video content, but cloud-based streaming versions only!

Has anyone tried not using the stupid Disney Movies Anywhere and just redeemed directly with iTunes? Do you get the Target bonus content over on iTUnes then? Can you download the files or are they still locked into cloud-streaming only??

Disney stinks
skibum5000 is offline  
post #3 of 91 Old 04-05-2016, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,452
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Maybe Disney is trying to ween people off disc based media. It is owned by Apple right? Or is it the other way around?
wuther is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 91 Old 04-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
ingramba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Texas, East of the Pecos!
Posts: 538
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Agreed! For about $3.00 more I went to BestBuy & picked up the steelbook version vs the paper case edition at Target. Both seemed to have a fair amount of extras!
ingramba is offline  
post #5 of 91 Old 04-05-2016, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ, Telluride, CO, & Los Angeles,CA, USA
Posts: 3,367
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 628
I started this thread a couple of weeks ago. It's either time to bump it back to everyone's attention...or can it.
Cam Man is offline  
post #6 of 91 Old 04-05-2016, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 16,644
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked: 15544
Tried watching The Force Awakens tonight and it's all messed up. Half the screen is either blacked out, or has the BD logo superimposed. Audio is scratchy and comes in and out. The title screen scroll looks like I just ate a brownie at a Grateful Dead concert. This is a brand new disc purchased from BBY. The Force is not strong with this one. I'm hoping it's a bad disc and not my player.







__________________________________________________
Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #7 of 91 Old 04-06-2016, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,287
Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked: 8042
Wabo that sounds/looks like you just got a bad one,
could you see any flaws on the disc surface?


my post from the "other" thread

Best Buy Steelbook Edition:



From what I've seen so far it looks Awesome at 9 feet wide in 1080p
and Sounds Fantastic with the DTS:HD MA 7.1 up-mixed with Neural:X to 7.4.4









The LFE is definitely NOT filtered either! (4 subs Rockin' full range)

gossamer88 and toddman36 like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #8 of 91 Old 04-06-2016, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tbird8450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 62
From my post in the review thread:

I watched this last night, and while overall the videopresentation was very good, I found the audio mix to be a little...off. Several sounds either seemed to be missing entirely, or extremely muffled. A good example is the scene that was in several of the commercials in which an X-Wing is chasing down a TIE fighter over a lake. It's blasting away with its lasers, but there is no corresponding sound. It's all soundtrack and some background noise. Another one that stuck out was during the TIE escape in the beginning. Poe and Finn are shooting up the docking bay, and there were huge explosions occurring that barely made it through the speakers. On the other hand, other sounds were suitably impactful, like Han's blaster. It made me wonder if I have a defective disc in some way, or if this is simply how it's "supposed" to be.


Has anyone else observed the same?
tbird8450 is offline  
post #9 of 91 Old 04-06-2016, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ, Telluride, CO, & Los Angeles,CA, USA
Posts: 3,367
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird8450 View Post
From my post in the review thread:

I watched this last night, and while overall the videopresentation was very good, I found the audio mix to be a little...off. Several sounds either seemed to be missing entirely, or extremely muffled. A good example is the scene that was in several of the commercials in which an X-Wing is chasing down a TIE fighter over a lake. It's blasting away with its lasers, but there is no corresponding sound. It's all soundtrack and some background noise. Another one that stuck out was during the TIE escape in the beginning. Poe and Finn are shooting up the docking bay, and there were huge explosions occurring that barely made it through the speakers. On the other hand, other sounds were suitably impactful, like Han's blaster. It made me wonder if I have a defective disc in some way, or if this is simply how it's "supposed" to be.


Has anyone else observed the same?
That's interesting. I spotted through the movie last night looking for problems, as I have big screening parties planned for it this weekend. I had read a review with similar comments to yours, so I was certainly looking for them. I even remember watching/listening specifically to the shot you mention of the splash of the TIE fighter over the lake in a dive. Overall, I could not find significant criticism of such effects in the mix. It all seemed appropriate for the shot. Consider the POV of that shot if it were captured in reality; a chase camera platform some 200' behind the X-wing. I don't think the laser canons (or any conventional weapon) would sound the same as if you were much closer. I thought they missed an opportunity to mix in a significant effect as the "camera" flies by in close proximity to the ensuing fireball and debris of the TIE fighter.

There was one new sound effect I've never heard before in SW mixes with regards to laser canons and the like. Rather than just a blast that we are accustomed to, there is also a muffled "thup" with it down at maybe 200Hz...but IIRC, it was only when we were closer to the vehicle. I liked it.

The surrounds are very busy! They do a fine job of creating an ambient surround field when needed (check out scenes with Snope), yet highly directional when needed. The LFE never overwhelmed, but was kick-ass when called for.

Overall, I thought the mix was quite spectacular and of very high fidelity.

The PQ is just off-the-wall gorgeous! Say what you want about film being dead, but the transfer of this is magnificent. I watched chunks via calibrated flat panel and big screen, both with Lumagen/CalMan 3D LUT calibrations.
mry110 and KMFDMvsEnya like this.
Cam Man is offline  
post #10 of 91 Old 04-06-2016, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ, Telluride, CO, & Los Angeles,CA, USA
Posts: 3,367
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Our son had the day off and so did I, so we watched all the extras. Very interesting! Of course, that stuff is all catnip for me.
Cam Man is offline  
post #11 of 91 Old 04-06-2016, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KMFDMvsEnya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Enjoyed the extras as well. Yet I felt as though the documentary was a tad too short and brisk in editing. Perhaps material was left out for subsequent releases. Maybe I am spoiled by other high quality BTS material such as with the Alien series or LOTR. Although it is best to never over indulge and fill with fluff but with certain projects there is sufficient compelling material to dig in deep. Even with contemporary films such as the Hunger Games which really have done a great job in respects to extras.

Very pleased with the excellent picture quality and overall very happy with the audio mix. One of the more dynamic mixes Abrams has been involved with. Really feared it would be as obnoxious and fatiguing as STID or MI:3. Also Super 8 has some brutal dynamic range choices, dialogue is clean and dynamic but much of the mix is relatively low in comparison to the really compressed loud material. I would say this is as good if not better than ST09 in overall dynamic range and compelling levels to turn it up.

I was concerned that after viewing in my home for the fourth time that I may not enjoy it anymore and I can happily say it was fun once again. Star Wars lives!

*Also had some playback issues with my bonus disc and it appears there is some imperfections in the data layer. The movie disc played generally alright but it to has some visible faults in the data layer.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
KMFDMvsEnya is offline  
post #12 of 91 Old 04-06-2016, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
skypop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Posts: 860
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Tried watching The Force Awakens tonight and it's all messed up. Half the screen is either blacked out, or has the BD logo superimposed. Audio is scratchy and comes in and out. The title screen scroll looks like I just ate a brownie at a Grateful Dead concert. This is a brand new disc purchased from BBY. The Force is not strong with this one. I'm hoping it's a bad disc and not my player.








Watched it tonight,my right main and right surrounds were sounding scratchy too,I'm going to take it back tomorrow. Left main,surround,and left back surround sound good though. I know it's not my system.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
skypop is offline  
post #13 of 91 Old 04-06-2016, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ, Telluride, CO, & Los Angeles,CA, USA
Posts: 3,367
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 628
@skypop ...yeah, you've got a clunker there. Go get a replacement and enjoy.

I had a rather terrifying experience with Return of the Jedi recently. We hadn't watched it in years, and put it up to watch. During the title crawl there was a hit in the bitstream that caused the AVC decoder to broadcast an as-loud-as-a-real-gunshot-in-the-room blast through the surrounds. It scared the crap out us! We got to our feet howling "What the hell was that!" I immediately muted the system, paused the disc, then ran tone to see if any of the speakers were blown. Fortunately, the Volt-10Xs are bullet proof and were fine. I cranked the volume down really low and started the chapter again. Same thing happened, although at a safe level.

After some trouble-shooting, I decided to have the BD player do the decoding, and the problem was not repeatable in that configuration. The disc has no visible surface issues. There's something in the bitstream right there that the AVC decoder does not like. FWIW.
Cam Man is offline  
post #14 of 91 Old 04-07-2016, 03:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
skypop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Posts: 860
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
@skypop ...yeah, you've got a clunker there. Go get a replacement and enjoy.

I had a rather terrifying experience with Return of the Jedi recently. We hadn't watched it in years, and put it up to watch. During the title crawl there was a hit in the bitstream that caused the AVC decoder to broadcast an as-loud-as-a-real-gunshot-in-the-room blast through the surrounds. It scared the crap out us! We got to our feet howling "What the hell was that!" I immediately muted the system, paused the disc, then ran tone to see if any of the speakers were blown. Fortunately, the Volt-10Xs are bullet proof and were fine. I cranked the volume down really low and started the chapter again. Same thing happened, although at a safe level.

After some trouble-shooting, I decided to have the BD player do the decoding, and the problem was not repeatable in that configuration. The disc has no visible surface issues. There's something in the bitstream right there that the AVC decoder does not like. FWIW.


Oh yes it's going back for an exchange.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
skypop is offline  
post #15 of 91 Old 04-07-2016, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 3,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
@skypop ...yeah, you've got a clunker there. Go get a replacement and enjoy.

I had a rather terrifying experience with Return of the Jedi recently. We hadn't watched it in years, and put it up to watch. During the title crawl there was a hit in the bitstream that caused the AVC decoder to broadcast an as-loud-as-a-real-gunshot-in-the-room blast through the surrounds. It scared the crap out us! We got to our feet howling "What the hell was that!" I immediately muted the system, paused the disc, then ran tone to see if any of the speakers were blown. Fortunately, the Volt-10Xs are bullet proof and were fine. I cranked the volume down really low and started the chapter again. Same thing happened, although at a safe level.

After some trouble-shooting, I decided to have the BD player do the decoding, and the problem was not repeatable in that configuration. The disc has no visible surface issues. There's something in the bitstream right there that the AVC decoder does not like. FWIW.
There were some AVRs from a few years back that displayed this problem with some discs. I believe most of these AVRs had firmware updates available that fixed the problem. You might have one of these. I would check the thread for your AVR (if you have one) for info on a firmware update.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #16 of 91 Old 04-07-2016, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Tucson, AZ, Telluride, CO, & Los Angeles,CA, USA
Posts: 3,367
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
There were some AVRs from a few years back that displayed this problem with some discs. I believe most of these AVRs had firmware updates available that fixed the problem. You might have one of these. I would check the thread for your AVR (if you have one) for info on a firmware update.
Thank you for the tip. This is an Onkyo PR-SC886...so pretty long on the tooth, and with its final firmware update years ago. I've not replaced it because it's been such a good workhorse and is fairly easy to utilize the Audyssey Pro calibration. I may have found the best alternative for this unit. Going this way is actually somewhat more convenient. Whenever I scan in a BD, the 886 always is slow to latch on to the bitstream and continue audio. Now there is no wait for the audio.
Cam Man is offline  
post #17 of 91 Old 04-07-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 24,805
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4047 Post(s)
Liked: 3053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
Thank you for the tip. This is an Onkyo PR-SC886...so pretty long on the tooth, and with its final firmware update years ago. I've not replaced it because it's been such a good workhorse and is fairly easy to utilize the Audyssey Pro calibration. I may have found the best alternative for this unit. Going this way is actually somewhat more convenient. Whenever I scan in a BD, the 886 always is slow to latch on to the bitstream and continue audio. Now there is no wait for the audio.
Sounds like you hit the notorious "DTS Bomb." Switching the Blu-ray player to PCM output generally resolves this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
Josh Z is online now  
post #18 of 91 Old 04-07-2016, 10:17 AM
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Star of the Northern Hemisphere
Posts: 16,643
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
I didn't read much about this Star Wars Blu-ray, so I'm not aware if the defective discs are more widespread or not?
I think they did release a bunch of them, being Star Wars, and it comes in few different packaging too.

I wasn't going to wait for the 3D version, so Disney's business plan is going to work with me, and I'm sure is going to also work with the UHD 4K's fans.

Cool flick, I like Rey, she's different, very independent.
NorthSky is offline  
post #19 of 91 Old 04-07-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 16,644
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked: 15544
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Wabo that sounds/looks like you just got a bad one,
could you see any flaws on the disc surface?


my post from the "other" thread

Best Buy Steelbook Edition:
Spoiler!

The LFE is definitely NOT filtered either! (4 subs Rockin' full range)

Watched this last night. Not sure if it was the new disc or simply power cycling my player but it worked. I liked this movie when I saw it in the theater and I liked it even more watching in my HT. And you're not kidding, the audio is fantastic.

__________________________________________________
Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #20 of 91 Old 04-07-2016, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NorthJersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 3,505
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post
WARNING: The whole exclusive bonus content Target version is a rip-off thanks to greedy Disney!

Disney, despite making billions on this, was so chintzy that they wouldn't even let Target put the content on disc! Disney just uses it to promote their useless Disney Anywhere Movies website. You have to redeem the digital download on their site to get the Target bonus stuff and then you get stuck with streaming only versions of the exclusive content! Not only is it not on disc, but you can't even download it!

Even worse, when you connect your account over to iTunes, in the hopes of being able to download it over there, not only can you not download it over there, but the Target content doesn't even show up iTunes and what stuff does show up isn't regular iTunes movie/video content, but cloud-based streaming versions only!

Has anyone tried not using the stupid Disney Movies Anywhere and just redeemed directly with iTunes? Do you get the Target bonus content over on iTUnes then? Can you download the files or are they still locked into cloud-streaming only??

Disney stinks
i just received SW:TFA Target exclusive bluray in the mail today, and registered the code from the piece of paper on the forceawakensdigital.com, and set it to be accessed on vudu.com

I didn't access vudu.com on my tv (via Roku) yet, but tried through vudu to access the exclusive content but I only see the option to play the actual movie. Can I only see the target content by watching Vudu through the roku? I just wanted to quickly access the Target content from my laptop. What am I missing?
NorthJersey is offline  
post #21 of 91 Old 04-08-2016, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mr.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sconi
Posts: 6,345
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 1522
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
i just received SW:TFA Target exclusive bluray in the mail today, and registered the code from the piece of paper on the forceawakensdigital.com, and set it to be accessed on vudu.com

I didn't access vudu.com on my tv (via Roku) yet, but tried through vudu to access the exclusive content but I only see the option to play the actual movie. Can I only see the target content by watching Vudu through the roku? I just wanted to quickly access the Target content from my laptop. What am I missing?
Same problem with featurettes on VUDU. I purchased the digital movie on April 1 and watched the movie fine. However later when I tried to access the promised featurettes they were not available. I wrote VUDU about the issue and have yet to receive an answer...other than an auto reply. I suggest writing to complain as well.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Mr.G is offline  
post #22 of 91 Old 04-08-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,287
Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked: 8042
I finally got to watch my TFA all the way though last night.
(I just did the first Chapter on release day)

Fantastic!, ranks right up there with my favorite Mad Max FR.

I'll probably give it another spin this weekend with friends over on Saturday,
then Sunday I'll go through the bonus material disc.


The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #23 of 91 Old 04-08-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KBMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Grass Valley, CA
Posts: 3,651
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I finally got to watch my TFA all the way though last night.
(I just did the first Chapter on release day)

Fantastic!, ranks right up there with my favorite Mad Max FR.

I'll probably give it another spin this weekend with friends over on Saturday,
then Sunday I'll go through the bonus material disc.

HEY, that's a much nicer case than my WALMART exclusive case, although this is my first 'black' bluray case. The movie itself sits on top of the extras...hmmm???

ANYWAY, enjoyed the film much better than at the theaters...I really can't equate this film to be mainstream 'Star Wars'; rather a back story or a spin-off of SW...Anyway, this is a fun, well-paced SCIFI ACTION FLICK! Thankfully I'm not a SW nut, so I take the movie, well, as JUST A MOVIE>...GREAT SOUND, GREAT LFE...(my poor buttkickers lol)...MY ONLY PROBLEM WITH THE FILM...Han's Son is British, or at least the accent isn't workin for me...
KBMAN is offline  
post #24 of 91 Old 04-08-2016, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,287
Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked: 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
HEY, that's a much nicer case than my WALMART exclusive case, although this is my first 'black' bluray case. The movie itself sits on top of the extras...hmmm???
I think my Steelbook was a Best Buy exclusive,
I pre-ordered it so it was only $2 more than the plastic case version.



plus I felt compelled to round out my steelbook collection


The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #25 of 91 Old 04-08-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NorthJersey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 3,505
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Same problem with featurettes on VUDU. I purchased the digital movie on April 1 and watched the movie fine. However later when I tried to access the promised featurettes they were not available. I wrote VUDU about the issue and have yet to receive an answer...other than an auto reply. I suggest writing to complain as well.
i figured it out after I posted this. I went to https://www.disneymoviesanywhere.com, created an account, then entered in the same code from the sheet of paper I had redeemed at forceawakensdigital.com, then hit the -> button, it accepted the key, then showed all the featurettes under "My Collection"

so it appears the Target content can only be viewed online at https://www.disneymoviesanywhere.com
it doesn't indicate which feature(s) are the Target exclusive, I assume it's the one with the interview with Rey and Finn and the 2nd videio
NorthJersey is offline  
post #26 of 91 Old 04-08-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Brandon B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: LA lalalalala
Posts: 4,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
Thank you for the tip. This is an Onkyo PR-SC886...so pretty long on the tooth, and with its final firmware update years ago. I've not replaced it because it's been such a good workhorse and is fairly easy to utilize the Audyssey Pro calibration. I may have found the best alternative for this unit. Going this way is actually somewhat more convenient. Whenever I scan in a BD, the 886 always is slow to latch on to the bitstream and continue audio. Now there is no wait for the audio.
The 885 definitely had this DTS bug (I have one). I would have thought they would have fixed it by the 886, but maybe not.

I switched to player decoding when I found out about it and never went back.
Brandon B is offline  
post #27 of 91 Old 04-08-2016, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
inspector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Menifee, CA , USA
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I watched the first 10 minutes of this and it's no "San Andreas or Mad Max-FR." I guess I'm spoiled. Does at anytime does the movie have any real LFE like the two I mentioned?

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 region free; 7.2.4. w/Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
inspector is offline  
post #28 of 91 Old 04-08-2016, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,287
Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked: 8042
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector View Post
I watched the first 10 minutes of this and it's no "San Andreas or Mad Max-FR." I guess I'm spoiled. Does at anytime does the movie have any real LFE like the two I mentioned?
The LFE Extension on Star Wars TFA is substantially better than San Andreas,
But you need a Sub(s) capable of playing below 20Hz at an adequate SPL to be appreciated.

San Andreas levels pretty much drop off the chart around 30Hz with nothing happening below 20Hz.

ULF (Ultra Low Frequencies) are typically below 20Hz and are not heard by the human ear,
but are rather a tactile pressure that you can only Feel...such was the case when Kilo was using the "Force".

Charts from FatShaft and the Bass-Heads available in the Subwoofer Forum
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post43101986

and More on Data Bass here: http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...sion-and-poll/





Mad Max Fury Road



Star Wars TFA kicked my Arse
...But I run a pair of 12" Velodyne subs up front
and Two Big 15" Velodyne subs near field behind my MLP
2400w total with a 4800w dynamic peak power

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 04-08-2016 at 05:23 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #29 of 91 Old 04-08-2016, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
inspector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Menifee, CA , USA
Posts: 1,351
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
The LFE Extension on Star Wars TFA is substantially better than San Andreas,
But you need a Sub(s) capable of playing below 20Hz at an adequate SPL to be appreciated.

San Andreas levels pretty much drop off the chart around 30Hz with nothing happening below 20Hz.

ULF (Ultra Low Frequencies) are typically below 20Hz and are not heard by the human ear,
but are rather a tactile pressure that you can only Feel...such was the case when Kilo was using the "Force".

Charts from FatShaft and the Bass-Heads available in the Subwoofer Forum
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post43101986

and More on Data Bass here: http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...sion-and-poll/





Mad Max Fury Road



Star Wars TFA kicked my Arse
...But I run a pair of 12" Velodyne subs up front
and Two Big 15" Velodyne subs near field behind my MLP
2400w total with a 4800w dynamic peak power

My Earthquake Minime P12 (ver2) has 18-75 frequency response range and great sound pressure level. When I had my sound system calibrated, I did it for music, I guess I'll have it done for movies instead.


Thanks for the info and if what I wrote doesn't make sense, well, I'm not that up on sound.

...finally retired and spending time in my dedicated HT!!!

SPARKSPLEX HT - Epson 6040 3D/4K UB Projector; 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Sammy 3D/4K K8500 region free; 7.2.4. w/Def Tech speakers, Earthquake P12v2 Subs; Auto Source 100vs Amp; Denon 4300H; MX990 Remote; 5 Bello chairs; Coaire Mini-split.
inspector is offline  
post #30 of 91 Old 04-08-2016, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,190
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked: 4027
I thought the LFE during the mind reading was great but there were scenes when the planet exploded that just felt weak for what the potential could have been. I was hoping for more of an Oblivion type mix. When the planet started to decompress, a War of the Worlds pod scene type LFE would have been perfect.
Molon_Labe is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Software

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off