• 1 Post By Josh Z
  • 1 Post By rboster

post #1 of 15 Old 06-22-2016, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question 4K Movies on Non-4k Player

Feel free to flame away, because I absolutely recognize how much of a noob question this is... But please provide an answer as well

I have a nice 4k TV/receiver... I buy a ton of blu-ray movies and I want to buy The Martian but I don't want to have to buy it twice... and I'm planning on picking up the Xbox One S in August so that I can have a 4K player... My noob question is, if I buy the 4k version of The Martian, does it come with a standard blu-ray disk as well? Does it downscale to native resolution? Or am I better off just waiting patiently?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-22-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSecGuy View Post
Feel free to flame away, because I absolutely recognize how much of a noob question this is... But please provide an answer as well

I have a nice 4k TV/receiver... I buy a ton of blu-ray movies and I want to buy The Martian but I don't want to have to buy it twice... and I'm planning on picking up the Xbox One S in August so that I can have a 4K player... My noob question is, if I buy the 4k version of The Martian, does it come with a standard blu-ray disk as well? Does it downscale to native resolution? Or am I better off just waiting patiently?

Thanks!
so far, every 4k movie i've seen, also comes with the regular bluray (2k) and digital copy
ereed likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-22-2016, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Talking

That's awesome - Would you mind listing the 4K movies that you own? I wonder why the outside covers don't clearly indicate that it has regular/digital versions of movies as well, like traditional Blu-ray covers do...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the-walk-3d-blu-ray-cover.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1510154  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-22-2016, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
My noob question is, if I buy the 4k version of The Martian, does it come with a standard blu-ray disk as well? Does it downscale to native resolution? Or am I better off just waiting patiently?
The reviews of UHD BDs do not mention the disc contents? Not sure what you mean by ' downscale to native resolution'.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-22-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
That's awesome - Would you mind listing the 4K movies that you own? I wonder why the outside covers don't clearly indicate that it has regular/digital versions of movies as well, like traditional Blu-ray covers do...
Sure they do.

-Chris
nathanddrews and ereed like this.

Theater 1: LG OLED55E6P 4K TV, Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K, Dune HD Solo 4K
Theater 2: Sony VPL-VW885ES, Seymour Premier 16:9 128", Lumagen 4242, Oppo 103D (CFW) / 203, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #6 of 15 Old 06-23-2016, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 643
To answer your questions:

1. Standard Blu-ray player will not play UHD discs.
2. UHD Blu-ray player will downscaled UHD discs to play on non-UHD displays (1080p).
3. So far - every UHD Blu-ray release that I have bought (9) has also come with the standard Blu-ray.

In the words of Michael Scott, "Win-win-win."
post #7 of 15 Old 07-12-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1625
To sum it up just buy regular bluray disk (non UHD 4K) if you have only a regular bluray player (non 4K). If you want to buy 4K UHD disk then you MUST buy 4K player to play it. The only reason it has normal bluray included with 4K versions is different options for audio and video depending on your setup.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #8 of 15 Old 07-13-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
To sum it up just buy regular bluray disk (non UHD 4K) if you have only a regular bluray player (non 4K). If you want to buy 4K UHD disk then you MUST buy 4K player to play it. The only reason it has normal bluray included with 4K versions is different options for audio and video depending on your setup.
I'm sorry if this sounds mean, but did you even read his question?
He plans to buy a 4K player. He only wants to purchase movie once. He asked if UHD BDs come with a BD, which they do - so he can watch that until he buys the UHD player.

The only correct answer is to buy the 4K UHD BD.
ereed likes this.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-13-2016, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post
I'm sorry if this sounds mean, but did you even read his question?
He plans to buy a 4K player. He only wants to purchase movie once. He asked if UHD BDs come with a BD, which they do - so he can watch that until he buys the UHD player.

The only correct answer is to buy the 4K UHD BD.
Short answer is no he can't watch BD version of the 4K disk unless he has 4K player.

Of course I read his question and also look at the thread title. I answered the thread title and just clarifying that he can't play 4K disk on regular bluray player and must have 4K player for that. If he plans on buying 4K player then yes he can buy 4K disk version and from there he can choose to play the 2K or 4K version. Also the normal bluray version is encoded on the 4K bluray itself, its not 2 physical disks. So even if he buys 4K version he can't watch normal bluray 2K on his non 4K player. The reason 4K says it has regular bluray on it just means its backward compatible to watch 1080P, doesn't have normal bluray disk included. To sum it up if he is buying 4K player very soon then go ahead and get 4K bluray disk. Otherwise you won't be able to watch it til you get 4K player. It would be same as trying to insert bluray disk in regular dvd player.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #10 of 15 Old 07-13-2016, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I could be wrong and maybe they do include a physical 2k BD disk? But after doing research it says 4K disk can't be played without 4K player and have not mentioned 2 physical disks included in the same case. I haven't bought 4K disk to open and see for myself yet since I haven't transitioned to 4K yet. If it comes with 2 physical disk in the 4K disk version then he is covered.

post #11 of 15 Old 07-13-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After more research and calling up my buddy who knows more about media than anyone I know. He has informed me that some of his UHD disk does have seperate bluray disk included but not all UHD has it but it should say it on the disk if it does. He explained they are doing that especially for people with non 4K players and eventually over time they will have just the 4K disk only without 2K bluray disk since everyone will or should have 4K player by then. Reason UHD cost more than bluray now is of 2 disks included but price will drop once 4K becomes the norm and will have just one disk. At least we all are learning something and I apologize for getting ahead of myself earlier.

post #12 of 15 Old 07-13-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
Quote:
After more research and calling up my buddy who knows more about media than anyone I know. He has informed me that some of his UHD disk does have seperate bluray disk included but not all UHD has it but it should say it on the disk if it does. He explained they are doing that especially for people with non 4K players and eventually over time they will have just the 4K disk only without 2K bluray disk since everyone will or should have 4K player by then. Reason UHD cost more than bluray now is of 2 disks included but price will drop once 4K becomes the norm and will have just one disk. At least we all are learning something and I apologize for getting ahead of myself earlier.
Yes. I think every single UHD BD released so far has both the regular BD in the case with it, along with a digital copy code. You are definitely covered.
ereed likes this.

Loose sounds like moose. Lose sounds like news.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-13-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4229 Post(s)
Liked: 3261
Quote:
I could be wrong and maybe they do include a physical 2k BD disk? But after doing research it says 4K disk can't be played without 4K player and have not mentioned 2 physical disks included in the same case. I haven't bought 4K disk to open and see for myself yet since I haven't transitioned to 4K yet. If it comes with 2 physical disk in the 4K disk version then he is covered.
What would be the point of encoding a 1080p version of the movie on a 4k disc that can only be played in a 4k player?

The 4k player can downconvert the 4k version of the movie to 1080p if desired. There's no need for a separate 1080p encode.

If an UHD release says "4k Ultra HD + Blu-ray" on the front cover, that means that both a UHD disc and a separate 1080p Blu-ray are provided in the case. They are not on the same disc.
ereed likes this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-13-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys for clarifying! This should be a sticky! I'm sure I'm not the only one that didn't know there were 2 physical disks in most UHD movies. Many of us and myself included ASSUMED (since we have never bought UDH disk) that it was one disk just like when bluray originally came out and they didn't come out with regular dvd included as well. It is very nice to know that anyone that has a normal bluray player or 4K player can buy UHD + Bluray and can play the movie in their current setup without worrying about having to buy ANOTHER movie again down the road after they upgrade their player and tv to 4K since its already included as well.

post #15 of 15 Old 07-13-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked: 2234
Quote:
Thanks guys for clarifying! This should be a sticky! I'm sure I'm not the only one that didn't know there were 2 physical disks in most UHD movies. Many of us and myself included ASSUMED (since we have never bought UDH disk) that it was one disk just like when bluray originally came out and they didn't come out with regular dvd included as well. It is very nice to know that anyone that has a normal bluray player or 4K player can buy UHD + Bluray and can play the movie in their current setup without worrying about having to buy ANOTHER movie again down the road after they upgrade their player and tv to 4K since its already included as well.
No need to be a sticky. Just takes a couple mins and google to get the answer. I think the lesson is don't make a declarative statement without any experience (hands on or otherwise) with the product. Not trying to pick on you, but these posts provide a good example of that issue.
ereed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page