Potential Cloverfield disc rot? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-28-2016, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Potential Cloverfield disc rot?

Just sat down to watch my Blu-ray of Cloverfield tonight (the original, not 10 Cloverfield Lane). When I first popped it into the PS3 it returned to the menu with a video error message. Tried again, it started up this time. However in the second to last chapter (around 1:07-1:10) it froze and did not continue. Tried in another Blu-ray player, froze in the same place. Tried to copy the disc in my PC Blu-ray drive via AnyDVD, got "Error reading from ... sectors: 11941984-11942015"

A couple interesting things to note here:

1) I watched this exact disc in this exact PS3 with no issues on 9/18/2008 (yeah, I document everything!)
2) The disc has, since its initial viewing, been safely in storage for the last 8 years. Physical examination reveals no cracks, scratches, or fingerprints. The disc looks new as if it was just opened.

I found a couple random forums with similar issues for this specific Blu-ray via googling. Does this sound like a failure due to age? If so it is mildly concerning, to say the least, given my VERY large Blu-ray collection. If this is a possibility to happen within a decade then what's the point of collecting movies?

Is there a way to contact the manufacturer to try to at least get a replacement disc? I'm not loving those odds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-28-2016, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 606
You could contact Paramount but I am not aware of any widespread problems with the Cloverfield Blu-ray. Occasionally a Blu-ray can fail down the road after once playing fine. The primary "rotting" issue for Blu-ray concerns two distinct sets of discs. Early Lionsgate (and a few Disney) discs manufactured in 2006-2007 have failed with some regularity. The other known issue were certain batches of Criterion BDs manufactured around 2010. Most other failures seem to be isolated occurrences.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #3 of 5 Old 06-28-2016, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post
Just sat down to watch my Blu-ray of Cloverfield tonight (the original, not 10 Cloverfield Lane). When I first popped it into the PS3 it returned to the menu with a video error message. Tried again, it started up this time. However in the second to last chapter (around 1:07-1:10) it froze and did not continue. Tried in another Blu-ray player, froze in the same place. Tried to copy the disc in my PC Blu-ray drive via AnyDVD, got "Error reading from ... sectors: 11941984-11942015"

A couple interesting things to note here:

1) I watched this exact disc in this exact PS3 with no issues on 9/18/2008 (yeah, I document everything!)
2) The disc has, since its initial viewing, been safely in storage for the last 8 years. Physical examination reveals no cracks, scratches, or fingerprints. The disc looks new as if it was just opened.

I found a couple random forums with similar issues for this specific Blu-ray via googling. Does this sound like a failure due to age? If so it is mildly concerning, to say the least, given my VERY large Blu-ray collection. If this is a possibility to happen within a decade then what's the point of collecting movies?

Is there a way to contact the manufacturer to try to at least get a replacement disc? I'm not loving those odds.
Even if it looks clean gently rinse it with water and air dry it. Blu ray boxes are made of plastic and plasticizers migrate in time which can fog a disc surface. Sounds crazy but rinsing works sometime, I've had discs that look perfect that wouldn't play properly and after being rinsed they do. It doesn't take much to mess with a laser beam when it's so small.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-29-2016, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Even if it looks clean gently rinse it with water and air dry it. Blu ray boxes are made of plastic and plasticizers migrate in time which can fog a disc surface. Sounds crazy but rinsing works sometime, I've had discs that look perfect that wouldn't play properly and after being rinsed they do. It doesn't take much to mess with a laser beam when it's so small.
Thanks - I tried that just in case but no change. Still hangs trying to read exact same spot as before.

One other thing to note: when I examined the disc in different lighting I noticed a greenish tint affecting approximately 2 cm of the outer edge of the disc. The rest of the disc looked more like the standard silver of a Blu-ray disc. Does this sound like a potential sign that the internal layer(s) have degraded?
post #5 of 5 Old 06-29-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
I found a couple random forums with similar issues for this specific Blu-ray via googling.
I tried looking but I could only find one other person reporting it on the blu-ray site and maybe that was you.

What has got me really concerned is while looking I read several claims about Bonnie & Clyde rotting and The Lady Vanishes issue. Going to check my B&C disc this weekend.

Quote:
Does this sound like a failure due to age? If so it is mildly concerning, to say the least, given my VERY large Blu-ray collection. If this is a possibility to happen within a decade then what's the point of collecting movies?
It is very rare to read someone post that the disc has rotted when they play it the first time. Rotting almost is always discovered years later like it happened with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page