Stargate SG-1 Blu-ray... is it finally happening? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 10-14-2016, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Stargate SG-1 Blu-ray... is it finally happening?

An overly excited individual on another forum seems to have some reason to think that they are indeed coming soon alongside the reboot of the movie franchise.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=306

Film sample scan from season 7 (pre-HD season):
http://i.imgur.com/WhYVEcR.jpg

Seasons 1-3 16mm (35mm effects)
Seasons 4-7 35mm
Seasons 8-10 HD

All episodes shot for 1.78:1, but aired 4:3.

I hope this actually happens!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-16-2016, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 44
All those "screenshots" look like publicity stills.
post #3 of 31 Old 10-22-2016, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
If it were happening, I'd know about it, because I check the various sources of Stargate news, including the showrunner's blog. Nothing short of a full TNG-style restoration and remastering could bring Stargate to Blu-Ray. They didn't even release the restored and re-cut widescreen version of the pilot in any HD format and we're in the days where many things are on Amazon IV or Netflix in HD, so I'm certain they have no real interest in milking that cow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 09-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I know this is an old thread, but I definitely watched the first 5 seasons of SG-1 in HD and widescreen on Showtime. Perhaps it was upsampled from film, but it was excellent quality. I watched via my C-band dish and the HDD200. I stopped watching when SG-1 left Showtime and started running on Sci-Fi, primarily because the picture quality sucked and it was in 4:3. Now sure how Showtime did it but I've got to believe the content they used is out there somewhere and should be easy to author to Blu Ray.

Marantz AV8802A, Sunfire Signature Grand (425W x 5), Sunfire TGA-7201 (200W x 7), Oppo UDP-203, Vizio P-75, Phase Technology PC8.5 (FL, FR, SL, SR), Phase Technology PC-Center, Phase Technology PC-60 (RSL, RSR), KEF Ci200rr (FHR, FHL, RHR, RHL), Epik Tower Sub
post #5 of 31 Old 09-17-2017, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8der View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I definitely watched the first 5 seasons of SG-1 in HD and widescreen on Showtime. Perhaps it was upsampled from film, but it was excellent quality. I watched via my C-band dish and the HDD200. I stopped watching when SG-1 left Showtime and started running on Sci-Fi, primarily because the picture quality sucked and it was in 4:3. Now sure how Showtime did it but I've got to believe the content they used is out there somewhere and should be easy to author to Blu Ray.
Given the relative high quality of the released anamorphic DVDs, it wouldn't surprise me if they were just upscaling that same source. I want to believe there is an HD effort, but I need proof!

See my comparison images of the DVDs and streaming options here:
https://imgur.com/a/S8qLf
post #6 of 31 Old 01-19-2018, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Part of me says woohoo while the other part says noooooooo.
I own all ten seasons of SG1 and all 5 seasons of Atlantis and well as all the movies.
I don't want to have to buy all ten seasons of SG1 again even if the quality of BD is awesome...oh crap yes I do...damn.

I just finished ripping all ten seasons onto a WDHD using MakeMKV...also have Atlantis and the movies on it too...and it is awesome to access the drive and so easily watch any episode I want. What a series, what a cast...OKOK I do want it on BD...if it an awesome video/audio transfer...otherwise SD is ok.
nathanddrews likes this.

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #7 of 31 Old 01-22-2018, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
I don't want to have to buy all ten seasons of SG1 again even if the quality of BD is awesome...oh crap yes I do...damn.
I hear ya. If they provide a new scan for a re-release, I will pay whatever they ask.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-22-2018, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
I hear ya. If they provide a new scan for a re-release, I will pay whatever they ask.
Jeez 10 seasons to buy again on BD...I love how improved the quality of the BD issue is on the Firefly series but I got the whole series...one whole year hehe...for $20.00. I can't imagine how much they'd charge for all ten seasons of SG1...but as you...gotta have it

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #9 of 31 Old 01-23-2018, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
Jeez 10 seasons to buy again on BD...I love how improved the quality of the BD issue is on the Firefly series but I got the whole series...one whole year hehe...for $20.00. I can't imagine how much they'd charge for all ten seasons of SG1...but as you...gotta have it
Star Trek (TOS) was like $60/season at first, but the three season bundle fell to under $100 pretty fast, I think I got the whole set for $60 over Black Friday or something. I bought the Doctor Who gift box set (7 seasons, all the specials, webisodes, screwdriver remote, special features, etc.) for about $250 I think and half those episodes were upscales. The Farscape upscale collection was only a mild improvement over the DVDs and it was $60 on sale. Right now, the TNG seasons 1-7 bundle is $75 and all of those were meticulously reconstructed!

If similar level of effort that went into TNG was put into SG1, I would pay the $60/season price as they release them. It would probably take about a year before the entire set were under $100 on sale. That's just how it goes.

In reality, the sad truth is that MGM is currently attempting to lure in fans to its own streaming platform Stargate Command to sell its latest Stargate show: Origins. You can stream all the shows and direct-to-video movies. I think the last thing they will do at this point is to release the shows on disc.
post #10 of 31 Old 12-02-2018, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
The entire Stargate franchise is back up on Amazon Prime now. Doesn't speak well for a BD release.

Edit: I checked the last 3 seasons (8-10) on Prime and they are 1080p. 1st 7 seasons are 16:9 SD the same as the DVDs.

Also available on Hulu, but I don't know in what format.

Last edited by rdgrimes; 12-02-2018 at 07:26 PM.
post #11 of 31 Old 12-03-2018, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The entire Stargate franchise is back up on Amazon Prime now. Doesn't speak well for a BD release.
Edit: I checked the last 3 seasons (8-10) on Prime and they are 1080p. 1st 7 seasons are 16:9 SD the same as the DVDs.
I'd say that it doesn't speak well for Stargate in general. MGM's Stargate Command clearly can't get enough subscribers to justify the service, the movie reboots are MIA, the Stargate Origins series was a total tone-deaf failure, the Christopher Judge Jaffa spin-off isn't being worked on, and MGM consistently refuses to sell the rights to Joe Flanigan and the creators of SG-1/SGA that want to do stuff with it. It's a damn shame, MGM is like that uncle that hangs onto stuff in a pile in the garage to "use it later" and pretends not to be a hoarder.

I just compared the Prime streams to the DVDs on my server - the season 1-7 DVDs are still noticeably superior in detail. *sigh*
post #12 of 31 Old 12-03-2018, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I don't think we will ever see this series on BD. I think you might get this at 1080p for streaming eventually. I'm a disc guy, and what I've noticed, is more TV shows are not making it to Blu Ray, only being available for streaming. Some are only released on DVD, and for HiFef, streaming only.
post #13 of 31 Old 12-03-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post
I don't think we will ever see this series on BD. I think you might get this at 1080p for streaming eventually. I'm a disc guy, and what I've noticed, is more TV shows are not making it to Blu Ray, only being available for streaming. Some are only released on DVD, and for HiFef, streaming only.
Agreed. It is cheaper for the studios to lease titles to streaming services than it is to invest in disc replicating. Like others, I bought all 10 seasons of the original series, but would jump at the chance to buy them again in a higher resolution (same with Babylon 5, but don't get me started on that one).

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
post #14 of 31 Old 12-03-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Quote:
I just compared the Prime streams to the DVDs on my server - the season 1-7 DVDs are still noticeably superior in detail. *sigh*
Except for season 8-10 which are in 1080p on Prime. They look a lot better than the DVD to my eyes.
post #15 of 31 Old 12-05-2018, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I have my movies and TV shows on my NAS, and some movies and shows I've used handbrake to shrink or compress by 20-30%, and even doing this, the picture quality is superior to what I see by the streamed version. I look at 1080p streams as ok, 4K is much better, especially with HDR, but not nere the quality of a UHD version.
post #16 of 31 Old 12-06-2018, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Except for season 8-10 which are in 1080p on Prime. They look a lot better than the DVD to my eyes.
That's why I specifically called out seasons 1-7. I've gotta say that "a lot better" is debatable, but it varies by scene. I made this comparison about 5 years ago, when Amazon was still using 4:3 streams for seasons 1-7, but the quality of the 16:9 streams have not improved by any appreciable amount. It's a real shame, they could easily feed a higher bit rate and at least get parity with the DVDs:

To be honest, I don't think that I want NEW Stargate anymore. I used to want that, but now - after Universe and Origins both flopping hard - I hope they put all that money into restoring the old stuff. They seem unable (or unwilling?) to recapture the allure.
post #17 of 31 Old 12-06-2018, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
They seem unable (or unwilling?) to recapture the allure.
This so much. Universe was starting to figure itself out and they nuked it. They've nuked the reboots. They've forgotten that Stargate is an 80's styled campy, adventure, sci-fi comedy. It's not supposed to take itself seriously at all and that's what they're trying to do. I don't want that.Another doom and gloom darkened gritty reboot. I'll take 4K remaster though sure.
nathanddrews likes this.
post #18 of 31 Old 12-07-2018, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2142 Post(s)
Liked: 3218
Quote:
That's why I specifically called out seasons 1-7. I've gotta say that "a lot better" is debatable, but it varies by scene. I made this comparison about 5 years ago, when Amazon was still using 4:3 streams for seasons 1-7, but the quality of the 16:9 streams have not improved by any appreciable amount. It's a real shame, they could easily feed a higher bit rate and at least get parity with the DVDs:

To be honest, I don't think that I want NEW Stargate anymore. I used to want that, but now - after Universe and Origins both flopping hard - I hope they put all that money into restoring the old stuff. They seem unable (or unwilling?) to recapture the allure.
Origins had to be really offered to flop. No access on streaming boxes. People won't pay to watch things on their computers only.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #19 of 31 Old 12-07-2018, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroommunk View Post
This so much. Universe was starting to figure itself out and they nuked it. They've nuked the reboots. They've forgotten that Stargate is an 80's styled campy, adventure, sci-fi comedy. It's not supposed to take itself seriously at all and that's what they're trying to do. I don't want that.Another doom and gloom darkened gritty reboot. I'll take 4K remaster though sure.
There were a lot of SG-1 episodes that were plenty dark. The series was darker then the movie. "Hail Anubis"

post #20 of 31 Old 12-07-2018, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
People won't pay to watch things on their computers only.
As a HTPC user, I actually prefer it, but I still couldn't be bothered. I just don't want to pay for a different streaming service. If they were smart, they would have partnered with Netflix or Amazon to make an updated series, but they thought they could fly solo.
post #21 of 31 Old 12-10-2018, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
There were a lot of SG-1 episodes that were plenty dark. The series was darker then the movie. "Hail Anubis"
Sure there were some, but overall it wasn't a grimdark thing. At least not that I remember. I remember zaniness like time travel shenanigans where they shoot golf through the gate. String puppets. Carter in a Harem dress. Teal'c telling a joke. etc etc etc.
post #22 of 31 Old 12-10-2018, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroommunk View Post
Sure there were some, but overall it wasn't a grimdark thing. At least not that I remember. I remember zaniness like time travel shenanigans where they shoot golf through the gate. String puppets. Carter in a Harem dress. Teal'c telling a joke. etc etc etc.
No doubt - there was nothing "dark" about SG-1. There was peril, but the heroes always win. It was basically Star Trek TNG, except none of the main characters ever died (not permanently, that is - LOL) and they used a Stargate to explore strange new worlds and civilizations... to boldly go. The show took its premise seriously enough and the characters and the world were fleshed out, but it also had its fair share of very funny, wink/nod, tongue-in-cheek, parody episodes as well.

"It's "O'Neill," with two L's. There's another Colonel O'Neil with only one L, and he has no sense of humor at all."
eric.exe likes this.
post #23 of 31 Old 12-27-2018, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
No access on streaming boxes.
Stargate Origins is on iTunes and Amazon Prime Video so you can watch it on a streaming box now. Currently $8.
post #24 of 31 Old 01-04-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Stargate Origins is on iTunes and Amazon Prime Video so you can watch it on a streaming box now. Currently $8.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

post #25 of 31 Old 01-04-2019, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, I'll look into it.
You might enjoy it if you keep your expectations very, very low.
Ph8te likes this.
post #26 of 31 Old 02-07-2019, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No doubt - there was nothing "dark" about SG-1.
I looked through the episode list for reminders, and personally I found these moments or episodes to be pretty dark:
  • The Asgard failing to solve their genetic degradation and instead choosing collective mass suicide.
  • Vala being burned to death by the Ori.
  • Jack using the Stargate to kill his friend/comrade Kowalski.
  • In Icon the arrival of SG-1 alters society to such a degree that it triggers total war.
  • In Ethon (sequel to Icon) SG-1 attempts to prevent a weapon of mass destruction from being used. They failed and the entire planet was devastated with all civilization wiped out.
  • The Other Side, generations-long war, eugenics/genocide, an entire planet rendered uninhabitable, soldier pilots going slowly insane. Cures for Earth's diseases lost. At the end Jack closes the iris on people trying to escape, and you hear them slam into it.
  • Teal'c killing Sha're (dude, shoot her hand, not her face).
  • The Tollan civilization being wiped out by Anubis.
  • Jack being tortured to death and revived only so he could be tortured to death again, repeatedly.

Overall it wasn't a dark show. I felt it had a good balance of everything.
tenthplanet and nathanddrews like this.
post #27 of 31 Old 02-11-2019, 02:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's actually selling for 20.00 but it's 4k.

post #28 of 31 Old 02-11-2019, 02:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You might enjoy it if you keep your expectations very, very low.
I see some people on other internet sites are up in arms on this. It's TV people go read a book.

post #29 of 31 Old 05-05-2019, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I'd buy all 10 seasons, again. I'm not holding my breath

Good Viewing,John G  JVC DLA-X790 Projector, Vutec 110" (16x9) Bright White Screen, Oppo UDP-203 region free MOD disc player, Zappiti Mini4K HDR, Synology DS418 NAS, Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, Toshiba 1250 NTSC-PAL Region Free BR Player, 7 Paradigm Reference spkrs w Dual Subs,   & Yamaha 6600 External Amp
post #30 of 31 Old 05-13-2019, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have had the "notify me" for seasons 1-10 of the Blu-ray releases for several years and I received email updates from Amazon last week about SG-1 Blu-ray releases being in stock. It's likely just an error (Amazon re-using a SKU), but for whatever the reason, the "Blu-ray" version of each DVD season appears as a pet grooming kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Stargate-SG-1...dp/B001VEJTN8/

Don't get your hopes up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page