CyberLink PowerDVD Certified for Ultra HD Blu-ray Playback - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 12-09-2016, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaro View Post
Certainly, each filter or improving mask off.
Unfortunately PDVD has this setting,
contrast, color and sharpness fired to 200% !!!
With this stylish of the 4K and HDR, we are losing on the road of the "fundamentals" for proper vision.
Fortunately players like TMT still run great with 1080p material.
I repeat, do a side by side comparison of PDVD and TMT, we will laugh ...
As I see it, having settings like that lose the fundamentals of a properly rendered video even without 4K and HDR.

The uninformed people out there think that the kind of image produced by having those settings gives the best picture. If this cannot be turned off, I will avoid PowerDVD even if it remains the only package, at this point, with which to view UHD Blu-ray on the PC.

In my opinion, all software packages that allow users to view DVD/BR/UHD-BR on the PC should allow their users the ability to disable any and all image enhancements that the software provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 12-09-2016, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiyosaya View Post
As I see it, having settings like that lose the fundamentals of a properly rendered video even without 4K and HDR.

The uninformed people out there think that the kind of image produced by having those settings gives the best picture. If this cannot be turned off, I will avoid PowerDVD even if it remains the only package, at this point, with which to view UHD Blu-ray on the PC.

In my opinion, all software packages that allow users to view DVD/BR/UHD-BR on the PC should allow their users the ability to disable any and all image enhancements that the software provides.
In PDVD you can disable the various filters of improvement but there is always a colorimetry busted with sharpness and overall picture totally artificial

Sorry for my bad English
Epson LS10500 - AMD RX580 - LightSpace CMS
post #33 of 37 Old 12-23-2016, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
A couple questions to the forum here:

1) Does AMD's SmoothMotion work well with regular Blurays in PowerDVD? I need an FI solution ASAP, started collecting UHD Blurays and want to be ready in 2017 to watch them, with interpolation to avoid nasty judder

2) Has anyone heard any rumours about PC-based Atmos decoding? Either from PowerDVD or from CES 2017? Not bitstreaming, actual decoding in software and send out the streams that way. Because it's easy to add extra soundcards via USB and probably possible to combine multiple physical sound cards to a single virtual device with 16-channels of audio. But that'll only work if there's a software decoding solution. OR maybe a new sound card that does it in hardware. That'd work. I'd pay even a few hundred for one if it saves me two grand on an Atmos AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 12-24-2016, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Well, PC based Atmos is several tens of thousands of dollars right now, so you'll save a bunch using the AVR. And there doesn't seem to be much interest in bringing down the cost from $30,000+.
post #35 of 37 Old 12-24-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
A couple questions to the forum here:

1) Does AMD's SmoothMotion work well with regular Blurays in PowerDVD? I need an FI solution ASAP, started collecting UHD Blurays and want to be ready in 2017 to watch them, with interpolation to avoid nasty judder.

2) Has anyone heard any rumours about PC-based Atmos decoding? Either from PowerDVD or from CES 2017? Not bitstreaming, actual decoding in software and send out the streams that way. Because it's easy to add extra soundcards via USB and probably possible to combine multiple physical sound cards to a single virtual device with 16-channels of audio. But that'll only work if there's a software decoding solution. OR maybe a new sound card that does it in hardware. That'd work. I'd pay even a few hundred for one if it saves me two grand on an Atmos AVR.
Here's some info on that.
Ignore my posts, back then I didn't know what I was talking about.
Korrigan's and others are "key".
As far as I know too, Cyberlink has still not posted the specs to run AMD Fluid motion.
And yes, AMD's smooth motion does work on regular Blu-rays of course, the question is, will it work on UHD Blu-ray's ?
It will take a pretty Skookum card to deal with over 8 million pixels.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40182.page

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/39728.page

Last edited by JeffR1; 12-24-2016 at 10:45 AM.
post #36 of 37 Old 12-24-2016, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
I'm thinking of buying an AMD Vega in the spring

Gonna keep my GTX 970 for my G-Sync monitor and build a second dedicated PC for my projector / VR which don't support G-sync anyway so no need to stay with NVidia (assuming the new AMD cards perform well in Vulkan + VR).

I'm super annoyed at my main PC right now, I have it plugged in to my projector and monitor which is in the other room, and I keep having to switch over the default screen in Windows, plus the default sound card too. Nothing a bit more money can't solve.
post #37 of 37 Old 12-24-2016, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I'm thinking of buying an AMD Vega in the spring

Gonna keep my GTX 970 for my G-Sync monitor and build a second dedicated PC for my projector / VR which don't support G-sync anyway so no need to stay with NVidia (assuming the new AMD cards perform well in Vulkan + VR).

I'm super annoyed at my main PC right now, I have it plugged in to my projector and monitor which is in the other room, and I keep having to switch over the default screen in Windows, plus the default sound card too. Nothing a bit more money can't solve.
It would be nice if they would come up with a factory liquid cooled version. My NVIDIA 980 gets quite warm pushing 4K.
I'm still optimistic that RedFox will come through, that would save allot of headache and I could stick with NVIDIA and DmitreRender.
I never liked AMD's control panel and I still don't like what they did with the new one.
I'm just so used to NVIDIA.

Last edited by JeffR1; 01-01-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
cyberlink , powerdvd , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page