Cyberlink and Pioneer Announce PowerDVD and Ultra HD Blu-ray Drive Bundles - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes

post #31 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
The PC support comes out way too late. Samsung K8500 UHD player was sold around $200 during Black Friday, and I think it will sell under $200 this year as more UHD players coming out. There seems to be very little incentive to get a Kaby Lake HTPC ($500+) and a BD Rom ($100-200) to watch UHD discs.
Exactly. Moneywise, this is just ridiculous when you look at the price of standalone players.
goksucats likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
With a software player released for the PC platform it won't take long before AACS 2.0 will be cracked as well.

I wonder when the industry will learn from previous mistakes.
wiyosaya likes this.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #33 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 2160
I was just reading this article: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11069/...bdrs11j-drives

They are saying the stringent new hardware requirements are thanks to AACS2:
Quote:
One of the peculiarities of playback via AACS2 is that it has to be supported by the whole system, not just certain critical components. This may not be a big problem for consumer electronics (even though it has its peculiarities there as well, for example, a requirement to pair a drive with its host that binds them at time of manufacture that will make lives of people who rip disks harder, but will also make it impossible to replace a failed ODD in a player), but for PCs things are going to get considerably more complicated. The content has to be encrypted using AACS2 throughout the whole data transfer from the optical disc to the decoder (i.e., the GPU for a PC) and then decoded in a secure environment. Since AACS2 mandates the use of secure environment at all times, decryption of Ultra HD Blu-ray content in a PC is now possible only on an iGPU that uses system memory with appropriate regions set aside for this particular task. Unless companies like AMD and NVIDIA invent their own SGX-like technology or manage to support Intel’s extensions in their drivers and by their discrete hardware, it will not be possible to use standalone GPUs for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback despite all their advanced media decoding capabilities. Quite naturally, this leaves systems based on Intel’s multi-core Core i7 HEDT processors without Ultra HD Blu-ray encoded playback content, but that is a price that PCs have to pay for AACS2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocedeg View Post
Exactly. Moneywise, this is just ridiculous when you look at the price of standalone players.
You need Kaby Lake (7th gen intel) for the DRM (SGX).
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11069/...bdrs11j-drives
edit: apparently puddy77 above just provided the same anandtech link, nice!

However, any 200 series motherboard with displayport should work with an external LS-Pcon to convert displayport to HDMI 2.0 (this is the same thing that is done on the motherboard for solutions that offer HDMI 2.0 currently).

My brother and cousin are building a system tonight with this Z270 displayport motherboard:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z270M-MORTAR.html
$130 at newegg

With this displayort adapter...
StarTech.com DP2MDPMF6IN 6in DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Video Cable Adapter - M/F
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N3DTKY

and either of these external LS-Pcon:

sabrent [email protected] Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Displ.../dp/B01MQGPFFC

or

Cable Matters Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Supporting 4K 60Hz Display
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters.../dp/B00PJ3LSIG

(or one of the original "club 3D" 4k 60hz displayport solutions)

...you should be good to go as long as you drop a 7th gen i5 or above in there.

Although no word on dolby vision support (but since it's software solution we should be good on the next powerDVD version).

I'm personally picking up this LG player in March with free dolby vision upgrade promised via firmware.
http://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-U...lu-ray-players
I'll wait for the dust to settle before upgrading the motherboard/cpu in my personal HTPC. I want to see, for example, if the existing LG drives already available which can read UHD blu ray discs will be able to playback with this cyberlink software.

But this is fantastic news and I was disappointed when there was nothing announced at CES.
post #35 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglito View Post

However, any 200 series motherboard with displayport should work with an external LS-Pcon to convert displayport to HDMI 2.0 (this is the same thing that is done on the motherboard for solutions that offer HDMI 2.0 currently).

My brother and cousin are building a system tonight with this Z270 displayport motherboard:
$130 at newegg

StarTech.com DP2MDPMF6IN 6in DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Video Cable Adapter - M/F

or

Cable Matters Active Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter Supporting 4K 60Hz Display

Although no word on dolby vision support (but since it's software solution we should be good on the next powerDVD version).

I'm personally picking up this LG player in March with free dolby vision upgrade promised via firmware.
I'll wait for the dust to settle before upgrading the motherboard/cpu in my personal HTPC. I want to see, for example, if the existing LG drives already available which can read UHD blu ray discs will be able to playback with this cyberlink software.

But this is fantastic news and I was disappointed when there was nothing announced at CES.
Hey: that LG player looks awesome !

I'll keep my eye on it !
maglito likes this.
post #36 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
2 years from now the hardware requirements will be like water off a duck's back. We are talking early adopters here.

Problem is, players are dropping in price very quickly. Like I said, I've never owned a HTPC, but my buddy is a computer guru and has been working on me to go that route, as a device that I can stream 4K HDR, and watch HDR Blu-rays. He had me convinced, but this news seems to indicate it's going to take too long for it to become an economical choice. Unless I can be convinced that the picture quality I would get from a HTPC as an Ultra HD Blu-ray player and streaming device is going to be noticeably better over Sony's upcoming UBP-X800, or LG's UP970, then it doesn't seem like a great idea. I was excited about the HTPC as an all in one solution, but I'm not sure I see the point if it's going to cost at least twice as much as a standalone player to do the same thing. But then I've never owned one. I do have a core I7 machine that is a couple of years old we were going to use as my HTPC. But I'm assuming based on this article, that all new hardware is in order, and it will be useless for this implementation.

Also, one of his big selling points was being able to rip the discs to storage device. But it sounds like that's not going to be possible for potentially quite some time, if ever.

Sony XBR65X930C / Sony UBP-X800 UltraHD Blu-ray Player/ Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD / PS4 Pro / Onkyo TX-RZ830 / Paradigm CC-190/Paradigm Titan Monitor V5/Paradigm Atom Monitor V5/ Paradigm CI Home H65 In-ceiling Atmos/ JBL Studio L8400P 12-Inch Sub
post #37 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
I give it six months to a year before we see UHD Blus on torrent sites.

AACS 1.0 was cracked quite quickly (like, a year?), and there were exploits found in playback software before that. I'm not advocating piracy, I just want to be able to use frame interpolation and other image processing, on the content I paid for legally, so that I can watch it how I prefer.
post #38 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Sorry but Window 10 crap is BS! My HTPC run Windows 7 & 8 with WMC. I like recording HBO on my HTPC. So what good is a UHD when it can't write, get a xbox s. Nothing has replaced WMC.
Dell XPS 8900 i7 skylake,
prerich likes this.
post #39 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiyosaya View Post
For now, and as I mentioned, I am in no hurry to upgrade. As @Quebecker mentioned above nVidia has at least hinted at PlayReady support. I am sure both AMD and nVidia will eventually support PlayReady 3.0 since it will help sell more cards.
I hope they will eventually deliver product supporting it. This also means that the use of an HTPC in the future will be further limited unless the DRM can be broken. No longer will you be able to rip the disc to your server for playback through your home.

If I'm understanding everything correctly it also means you need a compatible display as well as perhaps even compatible cables. HTPC's as we know them now will no longer exist. At least in how I use mine. If I can't rip my media and store it on my server then Plex goes away as well as my use for JRiver and I would likely be better off just using a stand alone player for UHD discs.
post #40 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
If you have an NVIDIA GT1080 that is HDCP 2.2 compliant that also supports HDMI 2.0b, what do you need a Kaby Lake processor for ?
If one is going to use the NVIDIA card for UHD Blu-ray, why bother with the measly on-board graphics card in Kaby Lake ?

This is what I don't understand, is Windows set up where it looks for the Kaby Lake processor to play UHD Blu-ray even though one will use an NVIDIA card, or AMD for that matter ?
It is not that the card isn't capable enough to play the content. The Nvidia card doesn't have the hardware DRM baked in to satisfy Hollywood that it can't be copied. They won't let you play their content unless you are running hardware throughout your entire chain that guarantees the DRM is intact. As far as I can tell you will need a motherboard, CPU, GPU, display, and possibly certified cables. I don't even know if you could run this through an AV receiver that isn't verified for Play Ready 3.0.

And for everyone saying this will be broken easily I have my doubts. This is an entirely different beast. Hardware DRM will be much more difficult to get past. I hope I am wrong because this makes my HTPC and what I use if for impossible in the future. No more Plex. No ripping and streaming for UHD titles.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
post #41 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:

$130 at newegg

or

There is no guarantee that those displayport to HDMI adapters support HDMI2.0a for the HDR pass through.
post #42 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
There is no guarantee that those displayport to HDMI adapters support HDMI2.0a for the HDR pass through.
The chips on those adapters are the same ones on the motherboards that have the HDMI 2.0 ports (which are extremely rare).

So, if it works on any system it would work on these systems.

You won't need special cables, since the display is protected by HDCP 2.2 as in current setup boxes.
post #43 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
I think the initial requirement of Kaby Lake processor may have something to do these processors integrated graphic has hardware decoding capability of HEVC 10bit.
Hardware HEVC 10-bit is supported on GTX 970 and above up to 4k60 for Nvidia and AMD RX 480 and later.

2015 AMD cards like the R9 290 don't even have GPU-based H264, it's really weak sauce. But the 480 decodes HEVC like a champ.

But sadly no discrete GPUs support MS' DRM crap. There is a legal argument to be made for reverse engineering this copy protection for the purposes of interoperability with existing hardware, and also playing UHD Blurays on other OSes like Linux or older Windows versions.
HTPCenthusiast likes this.
post #44 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Pretty sure that NVIDIA showcased Microsoft PlayReady 3.0 hardware support with the launch of Pascal GPUs and AMD stated that it could be "made available" to Polaris, implying that there is a potential firmware/software solution. So NVIDIA likely needs some sort of approved driver to activate the hardware they claim is built in, and AMD needs to also do something special. Either way, if Netflix et al. do not whitelist those configurations, I assume that we will not see any officially sanctioned 4K content without jumping through all the hoops... even then why bother if you can buy an Xbone S for less?
post #45 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
All Nvidia Pascal cards are PlayReady 3.0 compliant. AMD's position on PlayReady 3.0 has been oddly non-existent, thus far.
VideoGrabber and wiyosaya like this.
post #46 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthwhit View Post
I hope they will eventually deliver product supporting it. This also means that the use of an HTPC in the future will be further limited unless the DRM can be broken. No longer will you be able to rip the disc to your server for playback through your home.

If I'm understanding everything correctly it also means you need a compatible display as well as perhaps even compatible cables. HTPC's as we know them now will no longer exist. At least in how I use mine. If I can't rip my media and store it on my server then Plex goes away as well as my use for JRiver and I would likely be better off just using a stand alone player for UHD discs.
Personally, I don't rip even though I could. I would prefer just to buy a GPU and one of these drives for my current PC. However, being a cord-cutter, the amount of money that I have saved in the three-years since I cut the cord has paid for all the equipment I bought at the time. If all I essentially have to do is replace the motherboard and CPU when it comes time for me to get a 4K display, I just might be willing to that as I most of my other components would be easily transferred to the new system. I agree with @wuther that as things stand now, it is early adopter territory.

There may yet still be a way for some enterprising hacker to strip out the binary data that enforces DRM on the 4K playback chain. I don't know myself, but it would seem that 4K displays would be capable of playing back a 4k video from any user's 4k video camera - which implies that DRM may not be enforced in all 4k scenarios. Time will tell on that one.

My HT and the thrill of getting new equipment.
post #47 of 156 Old 01-26-2017, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Anybody who was expecting right off the bat HTPC UHD BD playback would be the same price as the standalones or cheaper clearly does the know the history of initial disc based playback on a PC of DRM formats.

But I guess that is where the posters who claimed it would not happen at all have graduated too.

Last edited by wuther; 01-26-2017 at 07:23 PM.
post #48 of 156 Old 01-27-2017, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
Anybody who was expecting right off the bat HTPC UHD BD playback would be the same price as the standalones or cheaper clearly does the know the history of initial disc based playback on a PC of DRM formats.

But I guess that is where the posters who claimed it would not happen at all have graduated too.
Straw men excluded, it is you that has an unrealistic view of history.

DVD:
Standalone players were $700-$1,200 in 1997. PC player kits with playback software and PCI decoder cards (most PCs weren't powerful enough by themselves) were under $400 in 1997.

Blu-ray:
Standalone players (just the Sony model) was $1,000 in December 2006. Two months prior, Sony sold a BD-RW drive for $750 and upgraded its included PowerDVD software to support AACS for free before the set top box launched.

UHD Blu-ray:
The industry is dragging its feet and is not anywhere near the commitments it made in years past. Prior iterations of PC playback hardware and software came before consumer products were available (in North America, anyway) and they were cheaper. It has been well over a year since the announcement of UHD, a year since players were made available as consumer players, and almost a year since content was made available. I think we all have reasons to be upset at the delay and hoops set before us.
prerich and action_jackson like this.
post #49 of 156 Old 01-27-2017, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
I did some checking through licensee paperwork and it looks like AMD has joined the PlayReady party, but they have no license to release any products at this time and are only engaged in active R&D concerning PlayReady, through access to the software and such. Oddly enough, the same is true for Intel, who is not licensed to release any PlayReady hardware, yet they are obviously advertising their - now released - 7th-gen Core products as being PlayReady 3.0 compliant in their literature. Nvidia on the other hand, is fully licensed and releasing PlayReady products with their Pascal GPUs, but does not have anything that is usable PlayReady 3.0 hardware, despite advertising their Pascal GPUs as PlayReady 3.0 compliant.
post #50 of 156 Old 01-27-2017, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
here we are again...
COPY PROTECTION to ruin it all.
With the advent of drives and software on the PC the hope is someone like RedFox will circumvent the copy protection so we can actually use the media we have paid for in any fashion we choose. Fingers crossed.
post #51 of 156 Old 01-27-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1075 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
With the advent of drives and software on the PC the hope is someone like RedFox will circumvent the copy protection so we can actually use the media we have paid for in any fashion we choose. Fingers crossed.
Depends how important it is to James and weather or not he's going to drop money on new components that are PlayReady 3.0 compliant just so he can attempt to reverse engineer things. (note that I used the word attempt and not can).

All of this effort to gain some resolution that will have marginal impact on quality to the viewer, what the industry is calling better colour (10bit, so no banding) and brighter bits here and there.

When I watch my 1080p Blu-rays on my Sony 300es with Madvr in the chain, I can't imagine things looking better.
I ask myself, is that way it looks in nature, does it resemble like looking out a window _ yes it does.

This whole thing with PlayReady 3.0, AACS 2.0, HDPC 2.2 .... has become such an irritation, that I think I'm going to throw in the towel, I'm fed-up with it.
I get the impression that that the industry can't seem to decide what the hell is needed or what they want, so they just keep tacking on implementations as they go along.
Right now I wish the whole thing would collapse in their face, it would teach them a lesson.
VideoGrabber likes this.

Last edited by JeffR1; 01-27-2017 at 11:48 AM.
post #52 of 156 Old 01-27-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Depends how important it is to James and weather or not he's going to drop money on new components that are PlayReady 3.0 compliant just so he can attempt to reverse engineer things. (note that I used the word attempt and not can).
I think the challenge and potential windfall of reverse engineering AACS 2.0 is most likely enough incentive for James and Co.
post #53 of 156 Old 01-27-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
I think the challenge and potential windfall of reverse engineering AACS 2.0 is most likely enough incentive for James and Co.
Possibly, even after my statement I would have no problem, buying another license for UHD Blu-ray.
That's inexpensive compared to buying a new player or upgrading my entire HTPC.

My main goal is FI at 4K, right now the only options are the Sony 5000ES (don't have 60,000.00$ and if I did, I would have better things to spend that money on) and Power DVD's AMD Smooth Motion and even that is up in the air because AMD's hardware may or may not be PlayReady 3.0 implemented.

Finding answers and getting accurate information out of developers and companies has become a great irritation.
post #54 of 156 Old 01-27-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Possibly, even after my statement I would have no problem, buying another license for UHD Blu-ray.
That's inexpensive compared to buying a new player or upgrading my entire HTPC.

My main goal is FI at 4K, right now the only options are the Sony 5000ES (don't have 60,000.00$ and if I did, I would have better things to spend that money on) and Power DVD's AMD Smooth Motion and even that is up in the air because AMD's hardware may or may not be PlayReady 3.0 implemented.

Finding answers and getting accurate information out of developers and companies has become a great irritation.
I am certainly not upset at the drive and software cost of UHD playback on PC. Frankly, it is about what I expected. I do, however, think PlayReady 3.0 requirements are obscene and driven by the new hardware based DRM requirements of the AACS organization.

For me it is about being able to store my movies on my NAS and stream them around the house. I have multiple 4K HDR TVs and would like to simply serve 4K media as I do my 1080p media currently. While there are certainly many challenges involved from cracking AACS 2.0 to the actual playback software, I do look forward to the day when it is possible. The inability to rip UHD BDs has actually slowed my purchasing of titles way down in comparison to my standard BD consumption.

I do understand the desire for proper FI at 4K. When I watch content on my Samsung UHD player it is abundantly obvious the judder on pans. Irritatingly so.

I will continue to cross my fingers that this all gets sorted out sooner rather than later or my just skip this generation no matter how much I love HDR.
ataneruo and JeffR1 like this.
post #55 of 156 Old 01-27-2017, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
The chips on those adapters are the same ones on the motherboards that have the HDMI 2.0 ports (which are extremely rare).

So, if it works on any system it would work on these systems.

You won't need special cables, since the display is protected by HDCP 2.2 as in current setup boxes.
Well the solution you propose won't work at all. If you check the linked LSPCON documentation at page 5.
http://www.megachips.us/products/doc..._Databrief.pdf

You can see that the only way HDCP2.2 is possible is if the LSPCON is integrated on the motherboard. If it's external it's just a repeater. The displayport1.2 output of kaby lake don't output HDCP2.2 so the external adapter LSPCON won't convert the HDCP signal to 2.2, so it will fail for netflix 4K (without even HDR).

There are practically no motherboard H270 or Z270 Motherboard with the LSPCON integrated. The only ones that do cost upward of $300.

I hope a cheap motherboard with an integrated hdmi2.0 output gets released for under $100, because here's the list of hardware needed if you already have a htpc case:
Intel Pentium G4600 ($90)
100 or 200 chipset motherboard with HDMI 2.0 integrated ($350)
DDR4 Ram ($50)
UHD Bluray Disk Reader ($200)
For a total of more than : $650

It's incredibly expensive!
The biggest hurdle is the motherboard. The bluray drive will surely drop but it's not even necessary if you stream via netflix or amazon.
post #56 of 156 Old 01-27-2017, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmegforest View Post
Well the solution you propose won't work at all. If you check the linked LSPCON documentation at page 5.
http://www.megachips.us/products/doc..._Databrief.pdf

You can see that the only way HDCP2.2 is possible is if the LSPCON is integrated on the motherboard. If it's external it's just a repeater. The displayport1.2 output of kaby lake don't output HDCP2.2 so the external adapter LSPCON won't convert the HDCP signal to 2.2, so it will fail for netflix 4K (without even HDR).

There are practically no motherboard H270 or Z270 Motherboard with the LSPCON integrated. The only ones that do cost upward of $300.

I hope a cheap motherboard with an integrated hdmi2.0 output gets released for under $100, because here's the list of hardware needed if you already have a htpc case:
Intel Pentium G4600 ($90)
100 or 200 chipset motherboard with HDMI 2.0 integrated ($350)
DDR4 Ram ($50)
UHD Bluray Disk Reader ($200)
For a total of more than : $650

It's incredibly expensive!
The biggest hurdle is the motherboard. The bluray drive will surely drop but it's not even necessary if you stream via netflix or amazon.
If for streaming, one does not even need a HTPC, just get an Nvidia Shield. I wonder if Shield can add the UHD bluray drive support. That will make lots of sense for a low cost device.
post #57 of 156 Old 01-27-2017, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
I give it six months to a year before we see UHD Blus on torrent sites.

AACS 1.0 was cracked quite quickly (like, a year?), and there were exploits found in playback software before that. I'm not advocating piracy, I just want to be able to use frame interpolation and other image processing, on the content I paid for legally, so that I can watch it how I prefer.
As much as I'd like to see it happen, it is clear that it is getting increasingly hard to circumvent DRM. Having a secure path (via hardware) will make things very difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post
Sorry but Window 10 crap is BS! My HTPC run Windows 7 & 8 with WMC. I like recording HBO on my HTPC. So what good is a UHD when it can't write, get a xbox s. Nothing has replaced WMC.
Dell XPS 8900 i7 skylake,
You realize Xbox One S also runs Windows 10?

At this point, ironically, an Xbox One S is a good way to get a mixture of UHD BD playback and some entertainment. A 500GB bundle can be had for about $250.
post #58 of 156 Old 01-27-2017, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Just a couple of thoughts after reading which looks so discouraging -

1) I'll happily wait for some way to decrypt and archive as things are too problematic now for just simple playback via home computer. This time will also allow a real catalogue of retail UHD movies to mature (as the present is barely anything).

2) Ripping and decryption - perhaps another method may be required that is a bit more out of the box but not unlike past exploits - namely, run a special set up that creates a virtual hardware environment meant to fool whatever is required. This may require some skill but should be doable and be akin to running VMware with a specialized version of Linux. When the disc is played, it runs through and converts the movie on the fly along with the audio streams to a format more easily played but without quality loss. This might simply be an decrypted version or as stated, converted to another file format meant for pc play. Think of this merely as creating an environment that appears correct to the software and hardware required and then a software to do the decryption and copy.
post #59 of 156 Old 01-27-2017, 11:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 497 Post(s)
Quoted: 6933 Post(s)
Liked: 6641
So... I could edit 4K and 8K RED RAW video on my machine but not play UHD-BR because of some stupid new CPU? HAHAHAHA.

I think I will wait for AACS to be cracked (Which I bet you will be the following month or two) and then rip all my discs and play them through MadVR thank you very much.

Screw you Play Ready.

Once again, copy protection punishing those who actually try to do things the right way, forcing us to do things the wrong way.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #60 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 01:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
So... I could edit 4K and 8K RED RAW video on my machine but not play UHD-BR because of some stupid new CPU? HAHAHAHA.

I think I will wait for AACS to be cracked (Which I bet you will be the following month or two) and then rip all my discs and play them through MadVR thank you very much.

Screw you Play Ready.

Once again, copy protection punishing those who actually try to do things the right way, forcing us to do things the wrong way.
The MoBo too, since KabyLake requires a new socket and the HDMI ports on the Mobo will have to be PlayReady 3.0 as well.
I've also read that even the GT1000 series cards are PR 3.0 too, if you want to use a dedicated GPU.
Not clear about AMD, there is some shallow info about it, but nothing definite.

So a new MoBo at 200 bucks and the least expensive KabyLake at 60.00 bucks (just a duel core running at 2.9 Ghz), but who needs a fancy processor if one is going to use a dedicated GPU.

There are cheaper MoBo's, but then there is only one slot for the GPU, I like to have two.

Not to forget that your need W10 as well.

Yeah...the whole things really sucks.

Like you, I think I'll wait and see if James can work something out.
Javs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
cyberlink , Pioneer , powerdvd , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page