Cyberlink and Pioneer Announce PowerDVD and Ultra HD Blu-ray Drive Bundles - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes

post #61 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is the cheapest Z270 board I've found with HDMI 2:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal...TXac/index.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2051
Discussion of downloading ripped torrrents of films (piracy) is not permitted at AVS.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #63 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Discussion of downloading ripped torrrents of films (piracy) is not permitted at AVS.
Good thing we are not talking about that. Can you cite me one post about how to download illegal file. There is none. We're talking about how 4k Rip is a fait accompli

We are talking about how those absurd technical requirement are just there to hurt the customer and not the pirate.

UHD are already almost completely cracked.

HDCP 2.2 was the biggest joke in the industry and was cracked in less than a day, yet film industry are laughing at us with crazy stuff. Yet, how many people had to buy a new AVR just for HDCP 2.2 when it was in fact cracked a year before that.

I was really really waiting for powerDVD UHD. But how can they seriously impose those requirement. No way I'm going to buy their stuff now.

Last edited by Quebecker; 01-28-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexvx View Post

You realize Xbox One S also runs Windows 10?

At this point, ironically, an Xbox One S is a good way to get a mixture of UHD BD playback and some entertainment. A 500GB bundle can be had for about $250.
I guess I'm one of the old goats that doesn't trust giving out my information too windows 10.The xbox s is way different then having access to my computer.
prerich likes this.
post #65 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1995 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthwhit View Post
The problem if you already own an HTPC is you can't just upgrade the GPU and optical drive and make it compliant. You need to upgrade the CPU to an i5 or i7 Kaby Lake with HD650 graphics, upgrade your mobo, most likely upgrade your RAM if you don't already have DDR4, and ditch your GPU since it won't work so you would no longer be able to game with your HTPC. You pretty much have a brand new computer at that point. You are only keeping the case, power supply, and hard drive.
that's absolutely brutal. basically takes the best part of a HTPC and artificially prevents it.

when i put mine together years ago, all the stuff was a '4k ready' and can in fact display 4k resolutions. but because of let's just say 'legal' reasons, none of that matters

i have to say, i wasn't super excited about 4k in the first place(this was the first time i didn't think more resolution was needed), but with the way it's being implemented, i think i might actually hate it now. i will always remember 4k as the thing that 'killed' plasma, made HDMI confusng, and now ruined htpc's
HTPCenthusiast likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #66 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Meanwhile, PC gamers are already pushing 8K and beyond. Glad to see the entertainment industry holding us back this time before we hurt ourselves.
post #67 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I don't understand why we need new motherboard and cpu? Unless the htpc has onboard gpu. For example my current pc has no problem with 4k media such as 4k demos even hdr ones. I can display 4k resolutions too without frame drop. Of course i can't hdr to my tv using that pc right now. If i change my gpu with a newer gpu which has hdmi 2.0b and buy powerdvd and an optical drive is this not enough? I think windows 10 is required. Just stupid. Guest what i need change everything.

Ripping is a lot of benefits which not always pirating related. Make a backup your media not illegal.
  1. You don't have to wait those warnings before the main movie
  2. You can have almost full control with madvr. You can have very good picture quality which better than powerdvd. Some tranfers are just bad and you can improve them.
  3. Having movies in disc fine if you have 100 disc. But if you a archive guy like me in years you end at least 1000 movies. Then you need a lot of shelfs. But if you rip and put them to a nas you don't need shelfs. Also you don't waste time to find a movie. You can reach via home network to your nas then all devices can access to content. If you have several devices at your home you can use any device to watch them.
  4. If you like 3D as well you notice they don't have immersive audio always. By ripping it no more a problem. If the movie durations is same, you can take audio (Dolby atmos for example) from Uhd bluray and merge with the 3D version of same movie and you can enjoy atmos with 3D. (I did for Gravity movie. For record i buyed both versions. 3D version and 2D with atmos audio)
  5. If you have small children they love playing with discs then you have a damaged disc. With ripping you don't loose anything.
You can make 8k gaming pc if you have enough money. Multiple screens and higher resolutions than 1080p not new.
post #68 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1055 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyhakan View Post
I don't understand why we need new motherboard and cpu? Unless the htpc has onboard gpu. For example my current pc has no problem with 4k media such as 4k demos even hdr ones. I can display 4k resolutions too without frame drop. Of course i can't hdr to my tv using that pc right now. If i change my gpu with a newer gpu which has hdmi 2.0b and buy powerdvd and an optical drive is this not enough? I think windows 10 is required. Just stupid. Guest what i need change everything.
Microsoft has this annoying PlayReady 3.0 implemented in most of it's new hardware and AACS 2.0 on the UHD Blu-ray discs looks for it.
I've read that PR 3.0 is enabled on the GTX 1000 series cards, but there isn't much info on AMD. I sent them a question about this yesterday, so I'll give it week.
The CPU is needed for sure and that would be Kaby Lake, it's socket is 1151, so if your MoBo is 1150 like mine, then you're screwed, plus the fact any new MoBo's that have on-board sound and graphics will also have to be PR 3.0 enable as well.
Even if you're not using the Mobo's on-board graphics or Kaby Lake's, the MoBo still has to be implemented with PR 3.0.
The only thing that doesn't appear to be effected is your hard drive and memory.

It's become an incredible annoyance, GPU's like the GT1000 series were upgraded to handle 4K, eg, HDMI 2.0b, HDPC 2.2 and dedicated hd.264 decoding _ all set for UHD Blu-ray, or so we thought, and that should have been it.
Now Microsoft throws us this PlayReady 3.0 Bull Sh*t.
I'm sure there is some legal action that could be taken against them.
If James and company can circumvent AACS 2.0 at the disc, then the rest won't matter.

Remember when Sony released their first ultra expensive native 4K projector, Sony promised in would play the UHD discs ?
Then a few years later they changed the rules on how and what would handle UHD discs and suddenly the that Sony projector became obsolete.
Sony was forced to make good on their promise and a new MoBo was made with one of its HDMI ports enabled with HDPC 2.2.

EDIT:
Here's a little info on it, note the date of the write up of April 2015, so it's certainly been talked about.
Venders like AMD must have known about it _ so they must have had plenty of time to include it in their hardware _ one would think.
Or maybe AMD though it wouldn't be carried out, it's also unclear if it can be added to hardware later on through a firmware update.
The whole thing is such a mess and when it comes to AMD or even Intel and their listed specs, it's unclear which piece of hardware has it for sure or not.
If you go to Newegg, there is no mention of it at all.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29080...o-your-pc.html

Last edited by JeffR1; 01-28-2017 at 03:02 PM.
post #69 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Ripping is a lot of benefits which not always pirating related. Make a backup your media not illegal.
  1. You don't have to wait those warnings before the main movie
  2. You can have almost full control with madvr. You can have very good picture quality which better than powerdvd. Some tranfers are just bad and you can improve them.
The forced Warnings and non-skippable content is highly annoying. It should be illegal in the first place, on media we have purchased. [I would also point out that once they made them actually 'copy-protected', then telling owners they were not allowed to copy them would be highly redundant.]

Also, while bad transfers should be an exception for UHD content, being able to use madVR or any other processing we like should be possible. So I would agree with you on those points.

Quote:
[*]Having movies in disc fine if you have 100 disc. But if you a archive guy like me in years you end at least 1000 movies. Then you need a lot of shelfs. But if you rip and put them to a nas you don't need shelfs.
Really? How are you making that work? I have a lot of my video content on HDDs, but I still have to find a place to store the original discs. So I am using MORE space, not less. That is an answer I could really benefit from.

Quote:
...[*]If you like 3D as well you notice they don't have immersive audio always. By ripping it no more a problem. If the movie durations is same, you can take audio (Dolby atmos for example) from Uhd bluray and merge with the 3D version of same movie and you can enjoy atmos with 3D.
Yes, but that should be illegal. If it's not, how can they sell you the same thing again for the N+1st time? [end sarcasm]

Quote:
[*]If you have small children they love playing with discs then you have a damaged disc. With ripping you don't loose anything.
Ah, but if a disc does get damaged or worn out, the studios will all replace it for you, for a nominal $1 or $2 fee that is commensurate with the disc cost. Right?

But I have seen the "small children" comment many, many times. And what I can't figure out is how when I had two of the rugrats watching DVDs back in the day, how did I ever manage to keep them from destroying the discs? It's a real mystery. Perhaps it may have been because, even though they may have "loved playing with them", I kept them out of their hands. As I did my iPad and my Walther.
post #70 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
The PC support comes out way too late. Samsung K8500 UHD player was sold around $200 during Black Friday, and I think it will sell under $200 this year as more UHD players coming out. There seems to be very little incentive to get a Kaby Lake HTPC ($500+) and a BD Rom ($100-200) to watch UHD discs.
Don't forget the Philips player (better than the Samsung) is already available for ~$185, and dropping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post
...This is really the last revision of PowerDVD I ever intend to support via a drive purchase. It is a good idea for them to sell legit licenses for PowerDVD bundled with the drives themselves because otherwise they'd just get pirated immediately. Of course you'll probably have to pay $$$ extra to get Atmos or Dolby Vision or something.
I was hoping an announcement of this might include a comment on PC-side Atmos-decode support, in general. Even for us old-fogies still using 1080p source material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
If you have an NVIDIA GT1080 that is HDCP 2.2 compliant that also supports HDMI 2.0b, what do you need a Kaby Lake processor for ?
If one is going to use the NVIDIA card for UHD Blu-ray, why bother with the measly on-board graphics card in Kaby Lake ?
You need it because the industry needs more $$$. I believe the term for it is "forced obsolescence".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana View Post
With a software player released for the PC platform it won't take long before AACS 2.0 will be cracked as well.

I wonder when the industry will learn from previous mistakes.
Oh, that one is easy to answer. They already have. They've looked ridiculous in the past, considering the rapidity with which their "protected" systems were cracked. Of course, they have benefited from that each time, because it created another wave of profit for the new-system developments. They want to do it better this time, but they still don't want it undefeatable. Where is the profit in that? If it's not cracked independently, at some point down the road the keys will get "accidentally" leaked, by an insider. Which will trigger the next wave of new methodologies, new hardware chips, new licensing, and new gear up and down the chain. Obsoleting everything already in place. Yes, I know that probably sounds cynical. It is what I believe though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthwhit View Post
Hardware DRM will be much more difficult to get past. I hope I am wrong because this makes my HTPC and what I use if for impossible in the future. No more Plex. No ripping and streaming for UHD titles.
With the ballooning size of the content, I'd rather have a way to read the raw data from the disc, and stream it over a network connection... leaving the decoding, and conversion to video, to be performed in an authorized player device. Ripping and storing 100G per film to magnetic media isn't anything I'm looking forward to. Instead, setting up a large disc-changer, using a network-connected BD/UHD drive streaming the bits (and certifying the content from the disc), would seem like a preferable approach to me. That's one alternative that preserves the central-server with multiple distributed client architecture.
post #71 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post
You need it because the industry needs more $$$. I believe the term for it is "forced obsolescence".
I'm going to change one thing, "the industry wants more $$$"...
post #72 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Jeff1R- Some advice please. I have the following going into a new build for just personal usage- Asus Strix GTX1070, a 7700k, and a Asus Hero Alpha MB. If I want to future proof myself as much as possible for UHD is the motherboard not compatible? and which Z270 MB are Playready 3 compatible? Or is both my GTX 1070 and MB not compatible?
post #73 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post
Really? How are you making that work? I have a lot of my video content on HDDs, but I still have to find a place to store the original discs. So I am using MORE space, not less. That is an answer I could really benefit from.
Well, of course more space required but i don't need them same room or in shelfs. They can be in boxes somewhere in house. By the way i know a person who had more than 10000 dvds. He just pas the bluray.
I dont have children but many friends have them. They can't even protect their remotes. Kids always find a way. My main point by ripping i can have benefits. Also some standalone players have problems with a certain discs. I never have that issue by htpc.

Of course "the industry wants more $$$"... . All road map is make sure we spend more and more $$$.
They do everytime. How many times you bought same movie in diffrent format or better transfer of same movie. 5th element for example before atmos version i had 2 more versions. Or avatar i didnt want wait 3d version so i bought 2d version then 3d version then extended version.... Same process for termintor 2 for example. There is thaeratical versions and director cut. At 1991 when i seen it at theater they show the director cut (with chip removal, and scenes with Kyle Reese) but dvd version nor bluray version doesnt include them later an another version with deleted scenes (Skynet version). A lot movies with same way. Now with 4K i guest i will have them in uhd bluray. Also with a lot of movies.

Sure they can make it perfectly in first place but they choosing not to. This what i belive now. For example they can include immersive audio in 3D bluray in new movies. Like madmax or terminator genisys. Also why they still making movies by 2K DI? Come on we are in 2017 now. I understand for older movies but really? Even in 2015 they didnt know UHD bluray coming why then contiue using 2K DI? I'm wondering in next years we see a better version of early uhd bluray movies for example those 2K DI movies can we get 4K DI versions of same movie.

Interesting thing is they spend a lot of time and money R&D for this copy protection in order to prevent pirating but all they need to do make them cheap enough (I mean content) so nobody bothers with pirating.

Also for all devices they can choose make them 4K ready. All early adopters had 2013-2014 4K capable TV's, projectors, avrs but all of them not suits uhd bluray watching. Missing hctp 2.2, hdmi 2.0a ....
Or streaming services Netflix, Amazon Prime v.s. I can't watch them in 4k with my pc. That why i went tv route instead using pj right now. Because a pj need an another device and there is no single device covers everything. I'm also sure with dynamic hdr their route is going with dinamic hdr10 which requires hdmi 2.1 or some never version instead of dolby vision. Do we need 4 hdr versions? Also i don't know an 2015-2016 avr is capable of pass dolby vision. Probably don't.

Also for immersive audio a htpc can support more than 8 analog channels. Multiple soundcards for example. Also there is some soundcards with more channels. All need is a software which had to support more soundcards, map the outputs correctly and a room correlation. Also with this feature you can rid of an avr also. A pc can do anything.

Well i think most safe way is waiting a bit more. Make sure everthing in htpc is compatible with uhd bluray playback. Hardware & software. Right now i not sure even i buy Kaby Lake or something similar, new motherboard, gpu and find out i still not able do playback. A htpc should no more than 300$ cost if gaming not requied.
post #74 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Jeff1R- Some advice please. I have the following going into a new build for just personal usage- Asus Strix GTX1070, a 7700k, and a Asus Hero Alpha MB. If I want to future proof myself as much as possible for UHD is the motherboard not compatible? and which Z270 MB are Playready 3 compatible? Or is both my GTX 1070 and MB not compatible?
I'm not an authority, contact Asus and ask them. Talking to Intel wouldn't hurt either.
From what I have been reading, you should be OK with the GTX 1070, but the more info you gather the better.
Go to NVIDIA and ask them to be sure.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

EDIT:
Did a quick search over at the NVIDA forums and this is what came up _ not a whole lot.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...omment=4942320

Here's a recent article from November 2016, but it doesn't mention anything about MoBo's though.
It concerns Netflix, but even though doesn't mention it, you can assume that it will apply to UHD Blu-ray

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-...k-videos-on-pc
Spizz likes this.

Last edited by JeffR1; 01-28-2017 at 06:18 PM.
post #75 of 156 Old 01-28-2017, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also for immersive audio a htpc can support more than 8 analog channels. Multiple soundcards for example. Also there is some soundcards with more channels. All need is a software which had to support more soundcards, map the outputs correctly and a room correlation. Also with this feature you can rid of an avr also.
This is something I would really like to see as well. But I'm afraid we are in a small minority.

Meanwhile, very expensive AVRs (the only currently realistic option for decoding immersive audio) are moving backwards, by dropping front-wides, e.g.
post #76 of 156 Old 01-29-2017, 05:42 AM

So true. Also decoding dolby atmos on pc could pass 11ch limitation of avrs. Dropping wide support also some stupid action too. They should support more positions. Even is there limitation. People should select best positions which suits their home theater. For example i will move to a new house after summer this year. In the new house i'm trying to built my home theater again but one problem because of place limitation surround back is very difficult to install but i can have wides instead. So with the 11ch limitation avrs i'm still not know what i should do. Also 11Ch processing support on higher models. Most expensive ones. Choices are with hdcp 2.2 and hdmi2.0a atmos and dtsx and wide support is limited Denon and Marantz. Yamaha out because no support wides. I didn't check Pionner because they are more expensive here than the other brands. Onkyo is most expensive model for same reason. If i can't surround back i may use wides instead but choices are limited. 2014 avr models also out. Will be there ever a avr with 9.1.6 ? Or we had to wait till 2025 or what?

And for 4k. Where i live still nobody sell uhd blurays nor stand alone uhd players. Only uhd bluray player is Xbox. But it can't bitsteam hd audio yet so no atmos or dtsx. Until it supports atmos and dtsx i'm not interested. And i have already gaming pc so.... Of course i can order uhd blurays from amazon.de but... Right now streaming is the only option for 4k and hdr which requires high speed internet and a lot of data caps. Here internet providers they give us high speed but very small datacaps and with that you can stream just few episodes a tv show in 4k only. Unlimited internet exists but speed is slow so can't stream anything in 4k.

Well i'm hoping this stituation will change in 2017-2018. Htpc can solve a lot problems but ...

Last edited by soyhakan; 01-29-2017 at 05:51 AM.
post #77 of 156 Old 01-29-2017, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by acefr View Post
If for streaming, one does not even need a HTPC, just get an Nvidia Shield. I wonder if Shield can add the UHD bluray drive support. That will make lots of sense for a low cost device.
I would pay $250 for a UHD BD drive for the Shield with playback software. Maybe even $300. It may be more than an XB1, but it would still be a better device/experience than XB1 or any standalone player.
goksucats likes this.
post #78 of 156 Old 01-29-2017, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Also why they still making movies by 2K DI? Come on we are in 2017 now. I understand for older movies but really? Even in 2015 they didnt know UHD bluray coming why then contiue using 2K DI? I'm wondering in next years we see a better version of early uhd bluray movies for example those 2K DI movies can we get 4K DI versions of same movie.

Also for immersive audio a htpc can support more than 8 analog channels. Multiple soundcards for example. Also there is some soundcards with more channels. All need is a software which had to support more soundcards, map the outputs correctly and a room correlation. Also with this feature you can rid of an avr also. A pc can do anything.
2k DI is used because of CGI - it still takes a lot of work to render (and render times are still on the order of tens of hours per frame). Going from 2k to 4k DI requires 4 times as much time. However, you do get better quality on UHD because you aren't downscaling a 2k DI to 1080p. (How, given 2K DI is 2048x1080? A 2k DI does not have letter boxing - while the Blu-Ray does, so you're already looking at 900 odd lines on the Blu-Ray of usable video)

The 4k DI movies either spent the time and money to render CGI to 4k or they didn't have much VFX to begin with so you can spend the time staying at 4K.

As for Atmos decoding on PC, it's possible given it's already done. It's just demand is so low it costs a lot of money ($30,000) for such a unit.
post #79 of 156 Old 01-30-2017, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmegforest View Post
Well the solution you propose won't work at all. If you check the linked LSPCON documentation at page 5.
http://www.megachips.us/products/doc..._Databrief.pdf

You can see that the only way HDCP2.2 is possible is if the LSPCON is integrated on the motherboard. If it's external it's just a repeater. The displayport1.2 output of kaby lake don't output HDCP2.2 so the external adapter LSPCON won't convert the HDCP signal to 2.2, so it will fail for netflix 4K (without even HDR).

There are practically no motherboard H270 or Z270 Motherboard with the LSPCON integrated. The only ones that do cost upward of $300.

I hope a cheap motherboard with an integrated hdmi2.0 output gets released for under $100, because here's the list of hardware needed if you already have a htpc case:
Intel Pentium G4600 ($90)
100 or 200 chipset motherboard with HDMI 2.0 integrated ($350)
DDR4 Ram ($50)
UHD Bluray Disk Reader ($200)
For a total of more than : $650

It's incredibly expensive!
The biggest hurdle is the motherboard. The bluray drive will surely drop but it's not even necessary if you stream via netflix or amazon.
Thanks for posting that MegaChips LSPCON datasheet, very informative (and disappointing).

HDCP 2.2 transmitter function is disabled in the dongle chip part, but the onboard part allows it -- highly annoying.

Really jumping through these hoops gets more and more frustrating.

I've been following this space for a while though. The next best option is probably the Asrock beebox-S (until the 7th gen intel NUCs)
http://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/B...(Kaby%20Lake)/
~350 on ebay

I've been looking for a notebook with HDMI2.0 but I don't believe they exist without an Nvidia GPU. But if anyone knows of an intel i5/i7 video (GPU-less) laptop with HDMI 2.0 please do share (it would make a great dual purpose travel laptop/HTPC). It's hard enough to find a 7th gen intel laptop with display port, usually the only ones you can find are those supporting thunderbolt.

Speaking of thunderbolt support, it is possible that the Intel motherboards and notebooks with thunderbolt 3.0 chips could work with the external displayport to HDMI 2.0 adapters I posted because those thunderbolt chips can act as HDCP 2.2 transmitters (and then the adapters could function as HDCP 2.2 repeaters).

Old discussion here:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/82101

But you are apparently right, no way to get HDCP 2.2 out of the original $130 MSI motherboard I posted before. Time to investigate thunderbolt motherboards....

This miniITX Z270 board has thunderbolt3, displayport (and apparently HDMI 2.0 onboard) for $170.
ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 GAMING-ITX/AC
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813157752
(board posted by ccparkhill above)

That solution would probably work out of the box but those adapters would probably work in any displayport/thunderbolt port on a 200 series board / 7th gen intel CPU combo as the Thunderbolt3 chip has the HDCP transmitter function.

Thanks kevmegforest for helping myself and everyone else figure this out!
post #80 of 156 Old 01-31-2017, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Dealing with physical discs is something I did away with years ago. As soon as I get a new BRD title, it gets ripped onto my media server and can then be accessed by my clients (2 HTPCs w/ GTX 1070 cards and 1150 sockets), 1 nVidia Shield, 1 Apple TV Gen 4, 3 Roku 3's and 1 Roku Ultra). I'm running Emby as my server. 4 of my displays are 4k, but only 2 of them are HDCP 2.2. I don't have any physical disc players connected to any of my displays, and I'm not about to go back to that.

So until I can rip UHD titles my media server and access them from my clients, I have no interest in them. Hopefully James and the gang will crack AACS 2.0 so that we can rip and stream our UHD titles to clients throughout our house. While madVR does an awesome job up-scaling 1080 (and 720 content), some of the native 4k content I stream on the Shield and Roku Ultra from Amazon and Netflix on my larger displays, is breathtaking. I have cash in hand and ready to begin purchasing UHD titles, but it ain't going to happen until I can rip them into my media server.
post #81 of 156 Old 01-31-2017, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexvx View Post
As much as I'd like to see it happen, it is clear that it is getting increasingly hard to circumvent DRM. Having a secure path (via hardware) will make things very difficult.

You realize Xbox One S also runs Windows 10?

At this point, ironically, an Xbox One S is a good way to get a mixture of UHD BD playback and some entertainment. A 500GB bundle can be had for about $250.
It would already be mine if only they had the foresight to include a 2nd HDMI output on the One S for those of us with A/V receivers that can due lossless True HD and DTS-HD Audio, but can't pass through HDR.

Sony XBR65X930C / Sony UBP-X800 UltraHD Blu-ray Player/ Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD / PS4 Pro / Onkyo TX-RZ830 / Paradigm CC-190/Paradigm Titan Monitor V5/Paradigm Atom Monitor V5/ Paradigm CI Home H65 In-ceiling Atmos/ JBL Studio L8400P 12-Inch Sub
post #82 of 156 Old 01-31-2017, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
I've recently built a 6th generation i5 with an Nvidia GTX 1070, will this be compatible with an update or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, you need a Kaby Lake PC with HDMI 2.0a. This Anandtech article gives much more detail about the requirements.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11069/...bdrs11j-drives
post #83 of 156 Old 01-31-2017, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srikzquest View Post
No, you need a Kaby Lake PC with HDMI 2.0a. This Anandtech article gives much more detail about the requirements.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11069/...bdrs11j-drives

Thanks for the link! That is very disappointing though. I just spent close to $1,400 building a PC 6 months ago for VR and planned to get a UHD drive when they became available. Oh well, I'll just slide a plain old Blu ray disk drive in there instead.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #84 of 156 Old 01-31-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Thanks for the link! That is very disappointing though. I just spent close to $1,400 building a PC 6 months ago for VR and planned to get a UHD drive when they became available. Oh well, I'll just slide a plain old Blu ray disk drive in there instead.

Don't go being disappointed just yet. Nvidia simply hasn't enabled PlayReady 3.0 in the current generation of cards, which have all the hardware required for UHD-BD. The DRM hardware for that is built into the Kaby Lake GPU - because it's a current generation GPU - and the security hardware in the Kaby Lake CPU is the same as the previous generation, which introduced SGX. By the time UHD-BD is actually released on the PC, we'll have new GPUs from AMD and Nvidia that should be fully enabled with PlayReady 3.0 applications like UHD-BD, so drivers for your card will be coming. The real issue you have to deal with is whether or not SGX is enabled by the BIOS of your mobo and if it's not, whether or not the manufacturer will release an update to enable it.
post #85 of 156 Old 01-31-2017, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I've got the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 http://www.gigabyte.us/products/prod...px?pid=5497#ov

I'm not sure if it has SGX enabled or not. Would it be listed in the bios settings?

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #86 of 156 Old 01-31-2017, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
Don't go being disappointed just yet. Nvidia simply hasn't enabled PlayReady 3.0 in the current generation of cards, which have all the hardware required for UHD-BD. The DRM hardware for that is built into the Kaby Lake GPU - because it's a current generation GPU - and the security hardware in the Kaby Lake CPU is the same as the previous generation, which introduced SGX. By the time UHD-BD is actually released on the PC, we'll have new GPUs from AMD and Nvidia that should be fully enabled with PlayReady 3.0 applications like UHD-BD, so drivers for your card will be coming. The real issue you have to deal with is whether or not SGX is enabled by the BIOS of your mobo and if it's not, whether or not the manufacturer will release an update to enable it.
So Playready 3.0 can simply be implemented with a driver update in the AMD and NVIDIA cards ?
This assumes you're running Polaris and Pascal eg RX480 or GT1080...

I dropped an email to AMD about this very thing and got a totally useless answer.

I may as well have asked a rock.
RLBURNSIDE likes this.
post #87 of 156 Old 01-31-2017, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

I am pretty sure a stand alone player is out of bounds for most people where you want to rip and store but for others, instead of worrying out about all this incompatibilities, I would say its better to invest in a UHD Blu Ray player which even plays Dolby Vision titles like this... https://www.cnet.com/products/lg-up970/preview/
post #88 of 156 Old 02-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Sigh.... Why do they make us have to HACK stuff so it can work across the board ? Looking over what the requirements are, it might be the only way I will put a UHD Blu-ray player in my HTPC.

1. It will require Windows 10 for Playready 3.0 (Microsoft has made it CLEAR, it wont be coming to 7 or 8.1),. this leaves an option for Windows Media Center out as a lot of people use it to watch LIVE/RECORDED TV that is DRM protected. Don't go into the Windows 10 WMC hack, as if you stay updated it does not work with cablecard and DRM.
2. A Brand new GTX1050/1060+ card with HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0b and HEVC/h265 hardware decoding is not compatible ? Really ?
3. A 2015 Intel i5 (quad core) is not compatible but, it can run any video, even full 4K movie rips (yes, there is a way but, will not get into ANY details on this site) with out a sweat.

My system can run anything at it with out a sweat, fully could run 4K Blu-ray but, they will make it so I cant run it....sigh.

I guess I wait till the hackers make it happen so I can play a retail disk on my computer with out rebuilding my ENTIRE computer that works 100% fine.

PERSONALLY, if you were thinking about going with this setup, I would not make a change till the product is actually released, all terms and specs are ALWAYS subject to change and you don't want to upgrade your entire system to find out you only needed 1 or 2 parts to make it compatible when they release it.

It's Feb...has anything new been said or has it been released (or an exact date) ?

-Dave

MCSE 2003
Windows Media Center specialist - MVP and Certified Home Theater specialist

Avid gamer and home theater junkie..

Last edited by DavidinCT; 02-11-2017 at 08:50 AM.
post #89 of 156 Old 02-14-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
PERSONALLY, if you were thinking about going with this setup, I would not make a change till the product is actually released, all terms and specs are ALWAYS subject to change and you don't want to upgrade your entire system to find out you only needed 1 or 2 parts to make it compatible when they release it.
Exactly, I wouldn't buy anything yet. Wait until they release all their official hardware and a working platform is demonstrated. At which point, you can either jump in and build a brand new certified system, buy a standalone player for $100, or wait for the inevitable workaround to be exposed. 2017 should be a fascinating year.
post #90 of 156 Old 02-15-2017, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
So Playready 3.0 can simply be implemented with a driver update in the AMD and NVIDIA cards ?
This assumes you're running Polaris and Pascal eg RX480 or GT1080...

I dropped an email to AMD about this very thing and got a totally useless answer.

I may as well have asked a rock.
I assure you, it's coming. Nvidia just hasn't done all the work required for UHD-BD yet. The just released drivers finally enabled 10/12-bit HEVC GPU accelerated decoding in Nvidia's GPU decoder SDK, which is what the PowerDVD software will be using, once it's updated. Given that, we can expect something around April/May, which is when PowerDVD annual releases tend to occur and also when new optical drives are announced before Computex in June.

AMD on the other hand, is a rock. They will tell you nothing. They can't even talk about anything that might be on the table for upcoming driver updates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
cyberlink , Pioneer , powerdvd , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page