Post your 4K Blu-ray Dolby Vision reviews here - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #1 of 36 Old 06-06-2017, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Smile Post your 4K Blu-ray Dolby Vision reviews here

Please state your Display and Player as well as the movie.
richlife and Dave_6 like this.

"Death, where is thy sting"

Gelda “Know what is hidden…the dragon”

Alita “I know who my enemy is”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-06-2017, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Despicable Me DV Rocks!

I received my copy of Despicable Me 4K with Dolby Vision this afternoon from Amazon. I immediately updated the firmware on my Oppo 203 UHD player and popped in the disk for viewing on my LG 55C6P OLED display. Once the disk started playing the Dolby Vision banner immediately appeared on the C6P and the resulting picture quality was astoundingly good! When I first heard several months ago that an animated feature would be the first Dolby Vision release I was quite skeptical that such a film would adequately demonstrate the positive aspects of HDR and Dolby Vision in particular. I am happy to report that my fears were totally misplaced. The wider color palette and increased resolution of this disk is mind boggling as compared to its SDR bluray counterpart.

I highly recommend this title to all of you who have Dolby Vision capable players and displays. You will not be disappointed!

LG 55C6P OLED Display/Apple TV 4K/2019 Roku Ultra
Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player (65-0131 firmware)
ELAC unifi B5 Speakers
NAD C316BEE Stereo Amplifier
Nakamichi Shockwafe 9.2 Sound Bar (3.2 firmware)/Xbox One X 4K Gaming Console
post #3 of 36 Old 06-06-2017, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 41
So I first played despicable me on my Sony A1E in HDR 10 and I noticed a very bright picture with very saturated colors. Then I took the oppo to the bed room and played it on my LG E6 with Dobly Vision enabled. I noticed immediately that the colors were toned downed and looked way more natural and eye pleasing still keeping a bright detailed picture. Both looked great but I prefer the toned down more realistic color that Dobly Vision delivered. It's not a night a day difference between the two formats if your not viewing them side by side. Colors were really the only difference I could tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 06-06-2017, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Expecting my copy of Despicable Me 2 tomorrow! I will watch some scenes first with Oppo 203 running through Marantz SR6011 to LG B6 (will give me HDR, but not DV yet). Then re-watch the same scenes with the Oppo going directly to the B6, which will allow DV. Will report back with my thoughts.... for what it's worth, I'm an easily-impressed AV noob, so I'm sure I'll have nothing but glowing things to say

Mr. Pibb > Dr. Pepper > Everything Else
7.1.4 - Marantz SR6011 - LG 77" C8 - JBL 520/530/580/590 - PSA S3000i + S3600i
Oppo 203 - PS4 - Xbox One S - Roku Ultra - Apple TV 4K
400+ UHD and counting...
post #5 of 36 Old 06-07-2017, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 31
What other Dolby Vision 4K blu-rays are available?
post #6 of 36 Old 06-07-2017, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
For those looking at their new DV movie, IMO the thing to look for beyond a good overall picture is tiny detail in the picture. If you are comparing to a HDR10 output vs DV, then, pause, find a place in the image where stippling or thin lines cross and compare one vs the other. You will have a difficult time with the overall image as both will look good. You may find DV looks "better" (or not), but the question is why? Is it simply brightness? Or is it what that brightness reveals?

In the LG DV demos, I could see areas where in HDR, the brightness washes out detail, but in the DV image that stippling (random dots) or thin lines show clearly. While just looking at the DV moving images, it all looks great, but I couldn't tell "why it looked great" other and an impression of brightness or clarity.

Counting on you folks to give those of us who have not yet jumped into DV reason to be envious. Of course, more DV movies would be a big help...

@pevco , Despicable Me 1 & 2 is it so far. So sad.
RLBURNSIDE likes this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #7 of 36 Old 06-07-2017, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1413
I'm interested in seeing these as I love minions and HDR both, but I'm not paying for them until they are re-released in 4K + 3D + DV in a few years once that solidifies in the market (probably post-Avatar 2)
post #8 of 36 Old 06-07-2017, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 598
I have both Despicable Me 1 and Despicable Me 2. I watched Despicable Me 1 last night with my 19 month old son and he loved it. The picture quality was amazing, the color, fine detail and blacks were nothing like HDR10. I have a Marantz 8802a, LG E6 and Oppo 203. I am running two HDMi cables from the Oppo one to the 8802a for audio and a second straight to the E6 open HDMI input 1. I wonder if the picture quality is better also because i have bypassed the 8802a completely and going straight to the E6 for video.
Dave_6 likes this.
post #9 of 36 Old 06-07-2017, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Thanks for the posts everyone. I'm looking to grab an oppo 203 and run it thru my 6200 to my LG E6. Dual hdmi.

I'm gonna leave my Samsung player in the mix because I think it's the best streamer I've found so far.

Anymore 203 / E6 reviews will be welcomed, compared DV to hdr10 if anyone does it.
post #10 of 36 Old 06-08-2017, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
I wonder if the picture quality is better also because i have bypassed the 8802a completely and going straight to the E6 for video.

YES, according to this poster:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Also, one other note about the video chain for DV compatibility. If you have a receiver in between your DV player and DV monitor, it has to specifically support DV. Some earlier receivers that pass HDR10 cannot pass the DV signal. So you would either need a new receiver (or a recent one that is scheduled to be firmware updated for DV), or you would have to connect the player directly to the display. UBD players such as the Oppo and LG have two HDMI outs, one for video and one for audio, in order to be compatible with older receivers and still provide lossless audio.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-hi...l#post53485818

Here is the appropriate thread addressing the issue: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post53508489

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Frank714; 06-08-2017 at 04:42 AM.
post #11 of 36 Old 06-08-2017, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Alrighty, I was able to watch all of the first Despicable Me last night.

Watching on the Oppo to my LG, I can say it is, indeed, one of the best presentations that I've had with HDR. What impressed me the most was the color reproduction. APL was quite bright overall and specular highlights were also quite impressive. Despite being a bright, bright image, black levels remained very, very good. Not something that is always the case with HDR10, but still remains to be seen if it stays consistent with DV.

The improvement in level of detail for the movie was also appreciable to my eyes. Hard edges didn't always come off as immediately improved over the 1080p SDR presentation, but improvements in the level of detail was still always noticeable. Clothing and various different objects, including character's skin all showed texture detail the SDR blu-rays never properly resolved.

I also got to watch just a couple minutes of DM 2 yesterday before I headed to bed and it certainly looks like that presentation will be even more pleasing than the first.

If DV can provide a consistent experience like what I've seen from DM 1 (and tiny bit of DM 2), this is certainly the way I would much prefer to watch my movies.

I'm eager to see Sony push out an update to their TVs, specifically to the Z9D, that way we can see if and what benefits DV has on a FALD LCD with a high brightness capability.
tanis38 and StayingSalty like this.

LG OLED65C6P ISF Calibrated by David Abrams @ Avical
Marantz AV8801 / D-Sonic M2500 / Oppo UDP-203
GR Research LS-9 / GR Research X-Voce / GR Research AV-1RS / Oppo PM-1
post #12 of 36 Old 06-08-2017, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Since, as far as I can tell, both Despicable Me films were rendered at 2K I am quite skeptical of increased detail claims. The harder edges is most likely a result of a sharpening filter applied to the UHD BD which would also give the illusion of increased detail.

As for the different HDR and DV color grading I suspect there is no calibration references with the UHD BDs so who knows which one is closer to being correct.
tmac2k, richlife, DanBa and 1 others like this.

Last edited by wuther; 06-08-2017 at 06:46 PM.
post #13 of 36 Old 06-09-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I said, "hard edges didn't always come off as immediately improved..." Some skepticism is understandable, but writing something off just because it's a 2K DI is perplexing. There are plenty of movies that have already been released that debunk that misconception. Conversely there are still some movies with 4K DI's that look worse than movies with 2K DI. The improved detail on Despicable Me was noticeable. I just watched Despicable Me 1 with my daughters a week ago and have seen it numerous times prior so I'd like to think I am pretty familiar with how much/little detail there was on the standard blu-ray.

I don't know of any feature-length animated movie that was rendered fully at anything but 2K either. The logistics of it all doesn't seem plausible at the moment either. Correct me if I'm wrong though. Maybe soon we'll start seeing it happen.
Operon likes this.

post #14 of 36 Old 06-09-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's an interesting article I just came across from another forum. You can take what I said and what is said in this article with a grain of salt...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#6fb538c46994

One more thing I should cover in this review is how the Despicable Me 4K discs look in HDR10 on bright LCD TVs (such as my reference Samsung 65KS9800) that don’t support Dolby Vision.

Prior to seeing what Dolby Vision can do, I would have described the HDR10 Despicable Me pictures (delivered via the Oppo 203 again, only not in Dolby Vision) as a moderate success. There’s a clear increase in the image’s baseline brightness level, and this also injects far more ‘volume’ into the animated film’s color palette than you see with the standard Blu-ray.

The brightness delivered in small HDR light peaks by the Samsung LCD TV also goes far beyond that of the OLED DV pictures - and there’s no doubt that this plays a big part in HDR’s raw impact.

However, there’s a more washed out look to the picture in and around areas of peak brightness, while the LCD’s colors can also have their usually intense richness reduced by backlight clouding issues. Even a TV as talented as the Samsung KS9800 can’t retain as much subtle tonal detail and color information in its brightest areas as Dolby Vision can in OLED’s brightest areas either, underlining the outstanding effectiveness of Dolby Vision’s HDR tone mapping system.

The Samsung TV’s HDR10 presentation of the Despicable Me 4K discs delivers a small but noticeable improvement in detail versus the HDR10 presentation of the OLEDs, and also delivers a noticeable - though hardly emphatic - improvement in resolution over the HD Blu-ray, despite the 4K image being created from a mere 2K master.

Unexpectedly, though, the KS9800’s HDR10 4K picture doesn’t look as detailed as the Dolby Vision OLED presentation - despite the fact that the KS9800 is renowned for delivering some of the sharpest pictures around with HDR10 4K content.
StayingSalty likes this.

post #15 of 36 Old 06-09-2017, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 424
All I can say is Wow

Just got oppo today and have it hooked my E6 watching D Me 2 in Dolby Vision.

I watched it last night on my Samsung player hdr10 and it was good. This is just sick good. Sure hope all or most of the discs end up this good.

One more Wow
post #16 of 36 Old 06-10-2017, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMul1 View Post
All I can say is Wow

Just got oppo today and have it hooked my E6 watching D Me 2 in Dolby Vision.

I watched it last night on my Samsung player hdr10 and it was good. This is just sick good. Sure hope all or most of the discs end up this good.

One more Wow
DM2 is the more superior DV disc, and a show-off disc for DV capable TVs.. the first movie doesn't offer the same level of overall fidelity.
MarkMul1 likes this.
post #17 of 36 Old 06-12-2017, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2306 Post(s)
Liked: 608
They are going to have release a significant amount more of DV releases if they want this format to take off
At the rate they roll out "something new" these days they need to speed up the A/V options

By the time there are a "decent selection" of DV films there will be a few mode video formats out there to consider

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #18 of 36 Old 06-13-2017, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
As for the different HDR and DV color grading I suspect there is no calibration references with the UHD BDs so who knows which one is closer to being correct.
This is a real problem because people are going to make comparisons between HDR10 and DV versions of the same movie, and they have no way of verifying that the differences they see are actually intentional. Dolby, or some partner, needs to release a reference disc so reviewers and calibrators can confirm that the image produced through DV path with full dynamic metadata is accurate.

Alternately, if someone knows about scenes in HDR10 and DV that should reproduce colors the same way (i.e. no tone mapping is needed) then that would be invaluable information to have as a check on the system before you start making any other comparisons.
DanBa likes this.

Last edited by EvLee; 06-13-2017 at 10:13 PM.
post #19 of 36 Old 06-14-2017, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 305
So, on my LG B6, the Dolby Vision settings are un-editable. Is that the case across the board? With DM2, I found the only setting that really brought out all the detail and color the best was DV Vivid. But the same setting on other DV content, like "Santa Clarita Diet" on Netflix, appears to give everyone a case of rosacea, so I switch to DV Movie Bright, but then all the white colors have an ivory tint to them. So then when I go to watch the "Dolby Vision Comparison" video and again, all whites are tinted yellow and I switch to DV Bright, but then everything looks hyper-saturated.

Mr. Pibb > Dr. Pepper > Everything Else
7.1.4 - Marantz SR6011 - LG 77" C8 - JBL 520/530/580/590 - PSA S3000i + S3600i
Oppo 203 - PS4 - Xbox One S - Roku Ultra - Apple TV 4K
400+ UHD and counting...
post #20 of 36 Old 06-27-2017, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post
What other Dolby Vision 4K blu-rays are available?

Power Rangers now available.
Al Leong likes this.

post #21 of 36 Old 06-28-2017, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2233 Post(s)
Liked: 2486
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
For those looking at their new DV movie, IMO the thing to look for beyond a good overall picture is tiny detail in the picture. If you are comparing to a HDR10 output vs DV, then, pause, find a place in the image where stippling or thin lines cross and compare one vs the other. You will have a difficult time with the overall image as both will look good. You may find DV looks "better" (or not), but the question is why? Is it simply brightness? Or is it what that brightness reveals?

In the LG DV demos, I could see areas where in HDR, the brightness washes out detail, but in the DV image that stippling (random dots) or thin lines show clearly. While just looking at the DV moving images, it all looks great, but I couldn't tell "why it looked great" other and an impression of brightness or clarity.

Counting on you folks to give those of us who have not yet jumped into DV reason to be envious. Of course, more DV movies would be a big help...

@pevco , Despicable Me 1 & 2 is it so far. So sad.
Where can I get the LG Dolby vision demos?
post #22 of 36 Old 06-28-2017, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Where can I get the LG Dolby vision demos?
Check here, there's lots of Dolby stuff.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples
post #23 of 36 Old 06-28-2017, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked: 2257
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingSalty View Post
Power Rangers now available.
This is really an exception experience being the first live action Dolby Vision disc. I watched it on my W7 yesterday and I am about to watch it again in a moment.

The HDR fidelity performance is very definite compared to the lower bitrate DV on Netflix and VUDU.
StayingSalty likes this.
post #24 of 36 Old 07-01-2017, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I am encountering an issue with black levels on power rangers with DV. Some scenes cause the black levels to jump to a milky grey. I have an LG E6. Is anyone else having this issue? Other than that the PQ looks great!
*note this is referring to the black levels on the letterbox bars
post #25 of 36 Old 07-01-2017, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Arrow firmware 0622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan the Gamer View Post
I am encountering an issue with black levels on power rangers with DV. Some scenes cause the black levels to jump to a milky grey. I have an LG E6. Is anyone else having this issue? Other than that the PQ looks great!
*note this is referring to the black levels on the letterbox bars

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13776509&postcount=3402

post #26 of 36 Old 07-04-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Don't want to make a big $$$ mistake upgrading, so I'm asking this now...

According to the Yamaha website, their new lineup 70-Series Aventage receivers support:

Quote:
It also adheres to the HDCP 2.2 copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission. It also supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) Video including Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma which provides incredible contrast, smooth tone and rich, bright colors. Furthermore it supports the wider color gamut of BT.2020 pass-through. This AV receiver is also compatible with 3D, Audio Return Channel and CEC for easy operation.
Does this mean I can watch Dolby Vision titles using an Oppo 203 on my LG E6? Also I intentionally added the part mentioning ARC. Does this mean it will support DD5.1/Dolby Atmos thru ARC?
post #27 of 36 Old 07-04-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post

According to the Yamaha website, their new lineup 70-Series Aventage receivers support:

Does this mean I can watch Dolby Vision titles using an Oppo 203 on my LG E6? Also I intentionally added the part mentioning ARC. Does this mean it will support DD5.1/Dolby Atmos thru ARC?
Yes to it being able to pass DV encoded video from the 203 to your E6 but that is only going to be after it receives a firmware update which I've seen is scheduled for sometime in fall. It apparently won't pass DV encoded video to a display on its release so you'll have to wait a bit for that capability but it is promised.

Supporting ARC does not mean it will support DD5.1/Dolby Atmos through ARC though it may. I'm not up on that aspect of its features but I have been keeping an eye on the AVR situation regarding DV so I could answer that aspect of your query. You'll have to dig further for the answer to your ARC question.
post #28 of 36 Old 07-06-2017, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6182
I have an LG E6 and X800 right now, my curiosity is what does a pro cal'd DV mode do vs a pro cal'd HDR10 mode. I'm guessing more detail, but maybe not much more else. Calman has added the ability to cal DV on 2017 OLED's, so we will hopefully start seeing info soon, and maybe someone can test the DV mode on the 2016's. Just using Netflix DV stock vs HDR10 calibrated on mine, I can't see any real differences so far, but discs may be different.

I will say HDR10 calibrated on my E6 looks great, so if DV can best it, that is good for every owner.
StayingSalty likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
X800M2 / Dune HD Pro 4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
post #29 of 36 Old 07-06-2017, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post

You could get a Yamaha 60 series on clearance as they will receive the Dolby Vision update.......I think your LG E6 is the unit to be concerned about with regards to your Atmos through ARC question. If your LG can send out an Atmos encoded bitstream through it's ARC HDMI input (say a Netflix movie).........then the Yamaha can decode that Atmos encoded stream. I don't think that the LG 6 series shipped with that capability.......and I recall that it was the 7 series that would have that capability........phone LG and ask them if your 6 can do it or will be updated. Good luck. I will soon be considering the same question ..... once I get a 4k OLED.
post #30 of 36 Old 07-18-2017, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just watched Resident Evil: Vendetta in DV and I think the film benefits very nicely from it. I didn't notice banding throughout the film, the color palette seemed expanded, and I think the biggest benefit here is the enhanced near black detail. This film has a lot of dark moments and the DV tone mapping seemed to really bring out detail that might otherwise be crushed. On the other end of the spectrum, there are a lot of headlight and flashlight highlights in the film that were nice and bright without clipping (you can still see the inner workings of the bulb well.)
Regarding the movie, as a resident evil fan I really enjoyed it as it felt super close to the style of the games. The action scenes were awesome, the sound was booming. I just wish they had left one really oddball plot decision regarding Rebecca and Arias out, that brought the story down a bit....
-LG E6, Oppo 203
StayingSalty likes this.

Last edited by Ryan the Gamer; 07-18-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page