Terminator 2 4k not extended edition - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1 of 73 Old 07-22-2017, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Terminator 2 4k not extended edition

Sorry to pass this along, from The Digital Bits...
Quote:
...Terminator 2 4K Ultra HD release will include the Theatrical version only on the 4K disc...
...So Lionsgate saves me some money at this point. Don't care for the non-extended edition, sorry.

I'll stop ripping my BDs when I can put them in and watch the movie without trailers, warnings, cutesy menus...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 07-24-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I've lost track how many times I've bought this film.............VHS, LD, multiple DVD, HD-DVD, multiple Blu Ray. I think I will sit 4K out.
post #3 of 73 Old 07-24-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
the film is being re-released in theaters in 3D. So whose bright idea was it to re-release this film on media in 2D and UHD, BUT NOT 3D ? [at least in the US]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 Old 07-24-2017, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post
I've lost track how many times I've bought this film.............VHS, LD, multiple DVD, HD-DVD, multiple Blu Ray. I think I will sit 4K out.
All the DVDs, HD-DVDs and Blu-rays come from an ancient master though, recycled endlessly for over a decade. Will be nice to finally see a truly new film transfer.
nathanddrews likes this.
post #5 of 73 Old 07-24-2017, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Unless I can get the version that I actually watch, the extended version, I'm out...

Seggers

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #6 of 73 Old 07-24-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Probably will be the most tealed version yet.
nathanddrews likes this.
post #7 of 73 Old 07-24-2017, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post
Unless I can get the version that I actually watch, the extended version, I'm out...

Seggers
Me too! I never watch the Theatrical!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
post #8 of 73 Old 07-25-2017, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I'll wait as well. I'm all about 4K for new films but for catalog titles I have to have the extended/Directors cut(if there is one) of the film for me to upgrade to 4K.
post #9 of 73 Old 07-25-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
Sad, but likely true. Cameron can't resist...
post #10 of 73 Old 07-27-2017, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos View Post
Sorry to pass this along, from The Digital Bits...

...So Lionsgate saves me some money at this point. Don't care for the non-extended edition, sorry.
The Theatrical Version is perfect as is. The Special Edition only gets to be an exciting curiosity once. Subsequent viewings are drag. The deletions were necessary for pacing.
eric.exe, 10k, tenthplanet and 1 others like this.
post #11 of 73 Old 07-27-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
The trailer for the remaster is consistent with the movie as is. True Lies always had teal in its color scheme for example. Cameron was ahead of the curve. Although, Michael Mann beat James to the bathing their movies in blue punch.
post #12 of 73 Old 07-28-2017, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Of course, in addition to making everything more blue/teal, the other danger with 3-D is the complete and total removal of all grain.

This is completely unscientific, but dear God... look at how blue the new trailer is! Looks like the very AIR itself is now blue. The explosions are almost green/brown!

2015 Trailer from Studio Canal @ 19 seconds:

2017 3D Trailer @ 16 seconds:

But it's hard to argue with the prospective detail increase that a modern scan will bring.

Last edited by nathanddrews; 07-28-2017 at 08:49 AM.
post #13 of 73 Old 07-28-2017, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by homogenic View Post
The Theatrical Version is perfect as is. The Special Edition only gets to be an exciting curiosity once.
I must respectfully disagree there, sir. Three of the added scenes flesh out the story much better.
The dream with Kyle Reese (maybe not the afterword).
Resetting the chip...how could you not have this? Even if just for the part where John stops his mother from smashing the CPU.
The T-1000 glitches in the factory at the end, showing some hope that it can be defeated.

The uber-upbeat ending though showing the future Sarah...we needed that like Hayden Christensen in Return of the Jedi (or NOOOOOOO)

Interesting sidebar if anyone's listening...the T2 BD is one of the biggest reasons I started ripping my discs to watch with a Dune. I can start watching the movie immediately from my server, whereas with the BD (even in an Oppo), it was well over 2 minutes.

I'll stop ripping my BDs when I can put them in and watch the movie without trailers, warnings, cutesy menus...

Last edited by drcos; 07-28-2017 at 10:01 AM.
post #14 of 73 Old 07-28-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
Of course, in addition to making everything more blue/teal, the other danger with 3-D is the complete and total removal of all grain.

This is completely unscientific, but dear God... look at how blue the new trailer is! Looks like the very AIR itself is now blue. The explosions are almost green/brown!

https://youtu.be/lwSysg9o7wE?t=19s

https://youtu.be/VVZQ39i5G1s?t=16s

But it's hard to argue with the prospective detail increase that a modern scan will bring.
Blue push and European saturation levels for flesh tones are the standard with Cameron. Deviation from it is wrong. The 2015 trailer is garbage. No home video edition in America ever looked like that.
post #15 of 73 Old 07-28-2017, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Blue push and European saturation levels for flesh tones are the standard with Cameron. Deviation from it is wrong. The 2015 trailer is garbage. No home video edition in America ever looked like that.
No, the 3D trailer is crazy levels of wrong. The lasers in the background were NEVER blue - always purple. I know T2 is supposed to be blue, but not this blue.
post #16 of 73 Old 07-28-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
No, the 3D trailer is crazy levels of wrong. The lasers in the background were NEVER blue - always purple. I know T2 is supposed to be blue, but not this blue.
Digital color grading will never replicate in the imprecise and compromised choices of the photo-chemical process.

The purple beams are in the 2017 trailer too.

Last edited by homogenic; 07-28-2017 at 04:48 PM.
post #17 of 73 Old 07-28-2017, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The trailer for the remaster is consistent with the movie as is. True Lies always had teal in its color scheme for example. Cameron was ahead of the curve. Although, Michael Mann beat James to the bathing their movies in blue punch.
Nice try but every time a Cameron title comes out it has a is very different color grading from the previous version even if only months apart. People who who have seen the title in the original film print (like me) know that excuse is bogus, not to mention Tealing is digitally done with tools made long after the older Cameron movies were first made.

Quote:
Yes but The apologists always make up endless nonsensical excuses, happens every time an old Cameron film comes out. Same as those who claimed Khan was supposed to be tealed even though there was printed material proving it was flat out wrong.
RobertR likes this.

Last edited by wuther; 07-28-2017 at 05:54 PM.
post #18 of 73 Old 07-28-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Nice try but every time a Cameron title comes out it has a very different color grading from the previous version even if only months apart. People who who have seen the title in the original film print (like me) know that excuse is bogus, not to mention Tealing is digitally done with tools made long after the older Cameron movies were first made.
I'm 34 and saw T2 twice during its theatrical run. The 2017 version is not an exact color replication down the line. Cameron makes revisions based on the tools at his disposal. His 4K restoration of Aliens is modern teal top to bottom. No argument there. But the excessive blue of the T2 3D edition is equivalent to heavy use of green for The Matrix sequels. And the remastering of the first movie which was initially done photo-chemically.
post #19 of 73 Old 07-28-2017, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12767 Post(s)
Liked: 12093
I think the restoration and HDR will make it worth checking out. Hopefully an extended version comes in the future at some point. I ordered the Endo Arm edition as well.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #20 of 73 Old 07-29-2017, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:

https://youtu.be/lwSysg9o7wE?t=19s

https://youtu.be/VVZQ39i5G1s?t=16s
Holy moly, that is a huge difference!
post #21 of 73 Old 07-29-2017, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I can't stand this reimagined color in any movie...........Aliens was ruined for me on the Blu ray. The Aliens dvd (Quad) looks so much better color wise......much more watchable and the way I know the movie always looked, until the Blu ray that is.

The best T2 transfer is the Canadian version (STUDIOCANAL/mongrel) from 2014. This transfer looks good (no DNR at all) and has both versions of the movie. The only bummer is that the theatrical version only has a lossy DTS track.

The newest version Terminator looks unreal on Blu ray........except the radically changed color which ruined the movie for me. The older Terminator Blu ray with the original color is better (to me) and I am glad that I have it.

This is all so unnecessary......Cameron you are changing these movies to something else.....the original color was great on these movies........I have seen them so many times (theatrical too) and can see something is off right away on a color calibrated monitor.
post #22 of 73 Old 07-29-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcos View Post
I must respectfully disagree there, sir. Three of the added scenes flesh out the story much better.
The dream with Kyle Reese (maybe not the afterword).
Resetting the chip...how could you not have this? Even if just for the part where John stops his mother from smashing the CPU.
The T-1000 glitches in the factory at the end, showing some hope that it can be defeated.

The uber-upbeat ending though showing the future Sarah...we needed that like Hayden Christensen in Return of the Jedi (or NOOOOOOO)

Interesting sidebar if anyone's listening...the T2 BD is one of the biggest reasons I started ripping my discs to watch with a Dune. I can start watching the movie immediately from my server, whereas with the BD (even in an Oppo), it was well over 2 minutes.
Totally agree with those two. Even before I ever saw the extended version I was always confused by the discussion of the T800's learning capability in the car--it didn't make sense in the theatrical version. And then to remove the T1000 glitching scenes, yet still including the minor one where it goes up his face (as he walks away from crushing the T800 in the gear, I believe) was also really confusing.
post #23 of 73 Old 07-29-2017, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
I can't stand this reimagined color in any movie...........Aliens was ruined for me on the Blu ray. The Aliens dvd (Quad) looks so much better color wise......much more watchable and the way I know the movie always looked, until the Blu ray that is.

The best T2 transfer is the Canadian version (STUDIOCANAL/mongrel) from 2014. This transfer looks good (no DNR at all) and has both versions of the movie. The only bummer is that the theatrical version only has a lossy DTS track.

The newest version Terminator looks unreal on Blu ray........except the radically changed color which ruined the movie for me. The older Terminator Blu ray with the original color is better (to me) and I am glad that I have it.

This is all so unnecessary......Cameron you are changing these movies to something else.....the original color was great on these movies........I have seen them so many times (theatrical too) and can see something is off right away on a color calibrated monitor.
Same deal with Titanic, the '3D' has much stronger teal then the standard BD released several months earlier. Aliens while a bit tealed did not bother me that much but when I saw that the remastered Terminator had like a solid teal look to it bummed me out.

While a UHD of Aliens sounds like a good idea I do not want Cameron involved in it.

Last edited by wuther; 07-29-2017 at 05:48 PM.
post #24 of 73 Old 07-29-2017, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I was looking forward to this. I think because the Extended Version being video only?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
post #25 of 73 Old 07-30-2017, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1652 Post(s)
Liked: 378
I doubt video will look any different in the 4K version. DTS:X will be my deciding factor. If it gets good reviews, I will probably get it.
post #26 of 73 Old 08-07-2017, 04:30 PM

The detail exceeds what we saw on the release print.
post #27 of 73 Old 08-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked: 5116
Quote:
The Theatrical Version is perfect as is. The Special Edition only gets to be an exciting curiosity once. Subsequent viewings are drag. The deletions were necessary for pacing.
This.

The extended version is interesting. But only for a one-time watch. The pacing is destroyed in the extended version.

Thank goodness it's the theatrical cut! Although... they should include both versions so every one can be happy.
homogenic likes this.
post #28 of 73 Old 08-27-2017, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't say I see much of a difference between the 2015 and 2017 trailers posted above. While I might not have as great a memory as, seemingly, some of you here regarding picture quality, colour grading etc. on previous versions, T2 has always been excessively blue in a number of scenes, e.g. the hospital Sarah's in, the nighttime scenes etc., so people saying "look at how blue the new trailer is!" makes me think "but those scenes are already really blue!"

Anyway, the hospital scenes are still blue in the 2017 version but they've made the skin tones slightly more realistic in parts; the original made everything very blue. With that said, the scene where the T-1000 run towards the elevator in the hospital as John, Sarah and the T-800/Arnie try to escape, does show an excessive increase in orange as the T-800/Arnie looks really tanned but, other than that, I like some of the choices that were made. Not all of them mind, just some.
post #29 of 73 Old 09-12-2017, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
The best T2 transfer is the Canadian version (STUDIOCANAL/mongrel) from 2014.
I might have missed something but I thought the consensus was that the old UK release had the best video quality, followed by the Japanese one.

Quote:
The only bummer is that the theatrical version only has a lossy DTS track.
Sigh, the never-ending format belief. As if anyone would stand a blind test between DTS at full bitrate and the PCM source assuming it is from the same master anytime soon. Besides that, this may be additionally relativized by the fact that the only CDS-based mixes seem to be available in the shape of plain old AC3 at rather low bitrate of 384 kBit/s on the first DVD and the AC3 LD.

So whatever super-duper lossless Dolby Atmos / DTS-X / 20.2 format any future 4K, 8K and whatever K release will feature, it for sure will be further and further away from what was shown in the cinemas back then.

After all, we don't only have the lack of care for authenticity with the video, but with the audio as well.
post #30 of 73 Old 09-12-2017, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Like an abuse victim, I return to my abuser. I just pre-ordered this on Amazon for $20, mega teal-boost and all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page