2001: A space odyssey 4k/uhd - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 307Likes

post #481 of 485 Old 09-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

It was almost as if Hyams was covering his bets in case the SFX didn't look good; these ladies surely did.
Looks like Roy's 'bout to say:

"We're gonna need a BIGGER ship!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 485 Old 10-05-2019, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Soyuz MS-12 undocking: 2019, A Space Odyssey

A few days ago on the NASA channel I was fortunate enough to catch the undocking for re-entry of the Soyuz MS-12 three-part spacecraft from the International Space Station. At the appointed hour, a spring was unlatched that pushed the MS-12 away from the ISS. The video of this solar panel-winged ship drifting slowly away from the ISS with the huge arc of the blue planet revolving slowly in the background was a breathtaking epilogue to Kubrick's docking sequence in 2001 to Strauss' Tales of the Vienna Woods waltz.

As the Russian capcom murmered while monitoring the video: "Beautiful."
Art Sonneborn likes this.
post #483 of 485 Old 10-05-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post
A few days ago on the NASA channel I was fortunate enough to catch the undocking for re-entry of the Soyuz MS-12 three-part spacecraft from the International Space Station. At the appointed hour, a spring was unlatched that pushed the MS-12 away from the ISS. The video of this solar panel-winged ship drifting slowly away from the ISS with the huge arc of the blue planet revolving slowly in the background was a breathtaking epilogue to Kubrick's docking sequence in 2001 to Strauss' Tales of the Vienna Woods waltz.

The real thing is incredible good to hear you had the opportunity to see it. I hope I will get to see a liftoff someday of the Superheavy booster SpaceX is working on. Will have nearly twice the thrust of the Saturn V !

Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 485 Old 10-05-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 504
^^ I had another remarkable spaceship encounter a few years ago. My father was active in the space program, and I vowed that I would make it down to Cape Canaveral before the end of the Shuttle program. We decided to go see the next-to-last launch, which would be the shuttle Endeavor scheduled to launch in early November, 2010.

So we took a redeye to Florida for November 1st, but the launch kept getting scrubbed due to hydrogen leaks, among other things. We took the first scrub as an opportunity to drive out the Overseas Highway to Key West while monitoring the launch prep. A week later we were in Titusville, but the launch was scrubbed and rescheduled for February (eventually launching in May). So we had to head back to our home in Los Angeles near Dodger Stadium without seeing Endeavor.

Two years later, the retired Endeavor was being flown west to its final resting place in Exposition Park, California on the back of its 747 transport (an amazing spectacle itself). Upon arrival in the Los Angeles area, the two aircraft flew a low-altitude snapshot tour of scenic locales, one of them being Dodger Stadium. We were standing on our deck, cameras ready (we thought), but were not prepared when the Endeavor roared up from the hill behind us and swooshed directly overhead, no more than two hundred feet above our deck. We had traveled across the country and back without being able to see it, and then as if by magic there it was -- right in our front yard. Simply amazing, something I will never forget.
post #485 of 485 Old 11-15-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post

That was The Blue Danube waltz, not Tales from the Vienna Woods.
Art Sonneborn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
space odyssey 2018

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page