2001: A space odyssey 4k/uhd - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 307Likes

post #31 of 485 Old 02-07-2018, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 485 Old 02-08-2018, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
WB did a 4K restoration a few years ago and showed it off at film festivals in Europe and UK. It's not a secret, but it just wasn't promoted like everyone thinks it would have been. There have been numerous under the radar restorations from 2010-2016 to prep for UHD-BD and 4K digital cinema screenings, so you're going to start seeing a lot of older films hitting UHD-BD in the near future.
post #33 of 485 Old 02-08-2018, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 512
2001 is the first movie I recall seeing in my 61 year life. Our Elementary school teacher took us on a field trip to see it. Imagine taking a bunch of young kids to see a high thinking movie like 2001! I don't know what she was thinking, but I will say that monolith stuck in my head from that day on.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 485 Old 02-08-2018, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4472 Post(s)
Liked: 3397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
2001 is the first movie I recall seeing in my 61 year life. Our Elementary school teacher took us on a field trip to see it. Imagine taking a bunch of young kids to see a high thinking movie like 2001! I don't know what she was thinking, but I will say that monolith stuck in my head from that day on.
I envy you that story. My first encounter with the movie was in my teens on pan & scan VHS. After it ended, I immediately rewound the tape and watched it again.

In addition to the cropping, the studio's home video division also took the liberty of editing out the intermission and playing the movie straight through. I didn't realize the movie was even supposed to have an intermission until years later. To this day, it still bugs me every time that part comes up.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #35 of 485 Old 02-09-2018, 07:08 AM

I'd say I have something like 50 films I can just watch over and over. I just say I haven't watched this one in six months and sit down to enjoy it again, for whatever reason ; 2001 is one of those. Getting it in an improved version is icing but highly desired and anticipated. I saw it with my father at a local theater in 1968 , I was 12 years old.

Art
post #36 of 485 Old 02-09-2018, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
I'd say I have something like 50 films I can just watch over and over. I just say I haven't watched this one in six months and sit down to enjoy it again, for whatever reason ; 2001 is one of those. Getting it in an improved version is icing but highly desired and anticipated. I saw it with my father at a local theater in 1968 , I was 12 years old.

Art
Rarely will my wife watch a movie she's seen before, while I'm quite the opposite. To me, watching a movie that I really like multiple times is like going to Disneyland. I've ridden all the rides before, but they're always fun and I often find details I've not noticed before.
Art Sonneborn likes this.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #37 of 485 Old 02-09-2018, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 617
I must be the only one who finds every Kubrick film I’ve watched to be cold, in the sense that you get a clinical feel to them - 2001, Shining, FMJ, Clockwork, Eyes Wide Shut and Barry Lyndon. The only one that had any warmth to it was Dr Strangelove and that was probably because I was laughing so much.

I understand that the films are technically great but I don’t find myself returning to them with any joy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #38 of 485 Old 02-09-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post
I must be the only one who finds every Kubrick film I’ve watched to be cold, in the sense that you get a clinical feel to them - 2001, Shining, FMJ, Clockwork, Eyes Wide Shut and Barry Lyndon. The only one that had any warmth to it was Dr Strangelove and that was probably because I was laughing so much.

I understand that the films are technically great but I don’t find myself returning to them with any joy

A matter of taste and no doubt 2001 and A Clockwork Orange are just as you say IMO but I find that a type of entertainment. On the other side of course is Lolita and Spartacus. If you have children and don't feel something when Spartacus is being crucified and he is shown his son well.....................

Art
Airsculpture likes this.
post #39 of 485 Old 02-09-2018, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Speaking of older movies, I had an afternoon where I didn't have to do anything for anyone. I elected to watch "Once Upon A Time In America". Close to four hours long and kept my attention throughout. I was very pleased at how well the Bluray looked upscaled to 4K on my calibrated projector.

Big De Niro fan.

See ya. Dave

post #40 of 485 Old 02-13-2018, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 75
2001 is my most bought movie, all the way back when DVD launched in 1997, one of the first discs I bought was this movie. Later bought the remastered edition in 2000 (widescreen anamorphic) , and was delighted to see people standing near the windows during the moon shuttle landing sequence. Later bought the bluray, and jup will buy the UHD, even if I dont have a UHD capable screen yet. Its a movie that I know so well, each new technology upgrade will be noticable for me.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #41 of 485 Old 02-14-2018, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Shyte... I've been buying 2001 since vhs. I've probably purchased the movie more than ten times over the years and format iterations including vhs, laser disk, DVD, bluray... and will keep buying it. The studio knows this.

Astell&Kern Futura SE100-Klipsch x11i-Klipsch x20i-Focal Clear
Pioneer SC85-NOS Valves NBS Preamp-NOS Valves Magnequest VRD
Klipsch Cornwall-Heresy II Signature-SW115-La Scala II 70th
Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2se 10th Anniversary-OPPO UHP203
Samsung PN64D8000-LG C7/65"
post #42 of 485 Old 02-14-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schubeedoobee View Post
Shyte... I've been buying 2001 since vhs. I've probably purchased the movie more than ten times over the years and format iterations including vhs, laser disk, DVD, bluray... and will keep buying it. The studio knows this.

I hope you are right. The same is true for me and I bought also some of the coffee table books about the film and enjoy them a lot. I saw it in 70mm projection a few years back in Chicago but the seating distance and screen size were inadequate for maximum enjoyment.

Art
post #43 of 485 Old 02-17-2018, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My first full watching of 2001 was on HD-DVD. I have it on BD, but haven't watched it, as far as I can recall.
post #44 of 485 Old 02-19-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 79
The thing I find most interesting about this and other "classic" movies such as "The Bridge On The River Kwai", "Lawrence of Arabia", "Dr. Zhivago", "Doctor Strangelove", "Fail Safe", "On The Beach", "Seven Days In May", "Judgement At Nuremburg", "Patton", "A Bridge Too Far", etc. etc. etc. etc., is what the details of these movies say about what was in the minds of their makers and in the minds of the audience for which they were intended, at the time of their making.

To me, these movies constitute only one part of a "package" of what people are exposed to during their daily lives from the day they are born, through their educations and work lives, to the day they walk into a theater to see those movies for the first time. To be brief, what they see in those theaters cannot conflict too much with what they've been taught, or have come, to believe is "the truth" of the world in which they live. Many times the events protrayed in these moves bear very little resemblance to sometimes-shocking historical reality. "The Bridge On The River Kwai" is IMO a perfect example among too many.

I'm 67 and saw 2001 shortly after it was first released during the very politically turbulent time of 1968, which also just happened to be the time of Mercury, Gemini and Apollo. My "reaction" to seeing it many times since that day has evolved radically. What amazes me today is the ridiculous similarities of 2001 to currently produced, "serious" attempts at portraying, for lack of a better expression, manned space travel. (Lately, "The Martian" is one of them, but IMO suffers from some very serious believability shortcomings which I discussed at length in the following thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-movies-concerts-music-discussion/1985722-martian-ridley-scott-october-2-2015-a.html )
For example, the sizes of the spacecraft in space movies are probably much larger than will ever be produced. The list goes on and on, but I won't elaborate further other than saying that IMO, manned space travel may never be anything more than something interesting to speculate and make movies about. In short, the human imagination doesn't necessary dream up stuff that, given enough time, effort and money, becomes possible. Inter-planetary or interstellar space travel may turn out to be bridges too far.

As I've aged I've become much more critical of movies. But although 2001 also has some rather serious technical shortcomings, it's story still inspires in me awe of space and what is still unknown about where else life almost certainly evolved. One thing we have learned since 2001's release is that if there is "intelligent" life "out there", it's almost certainly many light years distant. That, in and of itself, constitutes a possibly insurmountable barrier to it's practical significance.

I doubt if the 4K version of film-captured 2001 is going to look much better than the 1080p version, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does and I'll grudgingly shell out for it for probably the fourth time.
post #45 of 485 Old 02-19-2018, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

I am hoping it is more than resolution that will benefit... while important, I want better dynamic range.

post #46 of 485 Old 02-19-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
The thing I find most interesting about this and other "classic" movies such as "The Bridge On The River Kwai", "Lawrence of Arabia", "Dr. Zhivago", "Doctor Strangelove", "Fail Safe", "On The Beach", "Seven Days In May", "Judgement At Nuremburg", "Patton", "A Bridge Too Far", etc. etc. etc. etc., is what the details of these movies say about what was in the minds of their makers and in the minds of the audience for which they were intended, at the time of their making.

To me, these movies constitute only one part of a "package" of what people are exposed to during their daily lives from the day they are born, through their educations and work lives, to the day they walk into a theater to see those movies for the first time. To be brief, what they see in those theaters cannot conflict too much with what they've been taught, or have come, to believe is "the truth" of the world in which they live. Many times the events protrayed in these moves bear very little resemblance to sometimes-shocking historical reality. "The Bridge On The River Kwai" is IMO a perfect example among too many.

I'm 67 and saw 2001 shortly after it was first released during the very politically turbulent time of 1968, which also just happened to be the time of Mercury, Gemini and Apollo. My "reaction" to seeing it many times since that day has evolved radically. What amazes me today is the ridiculous similarities of 2001 to currently produced, "serious" attempts at portraying, for lack of a better expression, manned space travel. (Lately, "The Martian" is one of them, but IMO suffers from some very serious believability shortcomings which I discussed at length in the following thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-movies-concerts-music-discussion/1985722-martian-ridley-scott-october-2-2015-a.html )
For example, the sizes of the spacecraft in space movies are probably much larger than will ever be produced. The list goes on and on, but I won't elaborate further other than saying that IMO, manned space travel may never be anything more than something interesting to speculate and make movies about. In short, the human imagination doesn't necessary dream up stuff that, given enough time, effort and money, becomes possible. Inter-planetary or interstellar space travel may turn out to be bridges too far.

As I've aged I've become much more critical of movies. But although 2001 also has some rather serious technical shortcomings, it's story still inspires in me awe of space and what is still unknown about where else life almost certainly evolved. One thing we have learned since 2001's release is that if there is "intelligent" life "out there", it's almost certainly many light years distant. That, in and of itself, constitutes a possibly insurmountable barrier to it's practical significance.

I doubt if the 4K version of film-captured 2001 is going to look much better than the 1080p version, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does and I'll grudgingly shell out for it for probably the fourth time.

I agree with many of your points, although at 63, I'm not quite as pessimistic about space particularly since Elon Musk has given us vision again.
I look at 2001 and I think it can be greatly improved and here's hoping. Lawrence in 4K is honestly about as good as I even care about and I'm pretty picky. If it even approaches that , frankly, I couldn't ask for more. The thing is, is it getting a full restoration or not. The fact that this particular subject has had essentially no internet buzz is the part that concerns me.

Art
post #47 of 485 Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Lawrence in 4k?

post #48 of 485 Old 02-20-2018, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lawrence in 4k?
Yup. Lawrence is shown in 4K now. I saw it last year at Alamo Drafthouse and it was beautiful.
post #49 of 485 Old 02-20-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Lawrence in 4k?
Kaleidescape has had it in UHD for over a year. Just spectacular in every way.

Art
post #50 of 485 Old 02-22-2018, 05:15 PM

post #51 of 485 Old 02-22-2018, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Looks like we'll be getting a 4K/UHD version of 2001 later this year!

WARNER BROS. IS PLANNING A 50TH ANNIVERSARY 4K RELEASE OF KURBRICK’S 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

Great news!

post #52 of 485 Old 02-23-2018, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 3546
Quote:
I agree with many of your points, although at 63, I'm not quite as pessimistic about space particularly since Elon Musk has given us vision again.
I look at 2001 and I think it can be greatly improved and here's hoping. Lawrence in 4K is honestly about as good as I even care about and I'm pretty picky. If it even approaches that , frankly, I couldn't ask for more. The thing is, is it getting a full restoration or not. The fact that this particular subject has had essentially no internet buzz is the part that concerns me.

Art
Internet buzz is manufactured, manipulated, and the internet hates anything that isn't free. There are film buffs too that have no use for the internet. In essence, don't worry there is a market for the disc. Warner's does it's homework.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #53 of 485 Old 02-24-2018, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I can't wait for this! Would love to see how a UHD version holds up.
post #54 of 485 Old 02-28-2018, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
There have been numerous under the radar restorations from 2010-2016 to prep for UHD-BD and 4K digital cinema screenings, so you're going to start seeing a lot of older films hitting UHD-BD in the near future.
That would be very exciting. Any clue about particular titles we might expect (beyond 2001 and Lawrence)? I'm dying for a 4K Sound of Music and given the enduring popularity of that movie I'm kind of surprised it hasn't happened already. Certainly hope we won't have to wait all the way till 2020 for a 55 year anniversary release.

Beyond that I would love to see more of the classic widescreen format and 3 strip technicolor movies make it to UHD. Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Oklahoma or any of the other big MGM musicals, anything Hitchcock. My god just imagine To Catch a Thief in 4K HDR. That would be the ultimate eye candy.

And as long as I'm dreaming, why not take the best of what hasn't even been released on blu yet like High Society and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and just go straight to UHD with it? One can hope anyway.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #55 of 485 Old 02-28-2018, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you want clues, go poke the CV/resumes of the companies and individuals involved in such things. That's how we're finding out about a lot of these classics being restored for UHD and digital cinema releases, before they are announced. What I'm hoping for is The Battle Of The Bulge, but WB seems to be ignoring that title. It would be stunning with a proper HDR restoration from the 65mm elements and lossless audio.
post #56 of 485 Old 02-28-2018, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Pre order is up on Amazon... ORDERED!

post #57 of 485 Old 03-01-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Pre order is up on Amazon... ORDERED!

I don't see it ,could you give me a link ?

Art
post #58 of 485 Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 2122
Please remember, retail links are not permitted outside of the designated Deals' areas.

Quote:
No street price talk or retail links please.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #59 of 485 Old 03-01-2018, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
I don't see it ,could you give me a link ?

Art
Go to Amazon, search "2001 UHD", it will take you there. (since my link was removed )
post #60 of 485 Old 03-01-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Just went to Amazon to search and got a pre-order result. Wow! Just one question. Is this the first UHD released on a solid gold disk, or will this be a high-cost, pre-order-only production run?
georgeorwell likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
space odyssey 2018

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page