307Likes

post #1 of 485 Old 01-30-2018, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Talking 2001: A space odyssey 4k/uhd

Looks like we'll be getting a 4K/UHD version of 2001 later this year!

WARNER BROS. IS PLANNING A 50TH ANNIVERSARY 4K RELEASE OF KURBRICK’S 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY

Quote:
Retail sources have begun telling us that Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is preparing to release a 4K Ultra HD version of director Stanley Kubrick’s landmark science fiction film 2001: A Space Odyssey. This is something we’ve actually known was coming for a few months now, having heard it off the record directly from studio sources. Now that we’re finally hearing the first word from retailers we feel comfortable confirming it.
skibum5000, michael hurd and FLTWS like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 485 Old 01-30-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post

WARNER BROS. IS PLANNING A 50TH ANNIVERSARY 4K RELEASE OF KURBRICK’S 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
Absolutely fantastic !!!

Art
post #3 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 02:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 2605
I don't know if I'm enthused about this. Kubrick was a visual genius who knew the lens intimately and his films look reflect that. He's long passed on so unless they are going to have a seance and get his feedback on the color grading and alterations to his Opus I'd say let it be but there's money out there in these here waters for old films and this format so I'm sure Citizen Kane is next.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 01-31-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
I don't know if I'm enthused about this. Kubrick was a visual genius who knew the lens intimately and his films look reflect that. He's long passed on so unless they are going to have a seance and get his feedback on the color grading and alterations to his Opus I'd say let it be but there's money out there in these here waters for old films and this format so I'm sure Citizen Kane is next.
Well, I would imagine that bridge has already been crossed when the blu-ray was authored. His vision is captured in film, as you remarked. So the question is, how much of the director's intent do you really lose/alter when you translate that into the digital domain?
post #5 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 246
considering the movie is 50 years old, how much improvement can we expect of it's release on UHD w/HDR ?
post #6 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post
considering the movie is 50 years old, how much improvement can we expect of it's release on UHD w/HDR ?
With its 65mm source and the decades of dedication to its preservation, my guess is that it will be a significant improvement over all prior releases and a "must own" according to reviews. How good will its objective HDR performance be? I'm sure the improved color volume will be the most noticeable aspect of the HDR, perhaps greater details in the vast darkness of space? I would guess so, based only upon existing UHD releases of 4K+ scans of films, both 35mm and 65mm...

I mean, what answer(s) are you expecting without direct evidence?
post #7 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked: 1963
Exactly.

Existing SDR transfers truncate the dynamic range in the original film. Using an HDR container will enable us to see at home what folks saw in the cinema. The film source contains more dynamic range than SDR like 1080p Blu-Ray can handle.

The original film also contains colors outside the rec709 palette. We've never been able to see those on home video before. Now we will get to!

And of course for the resolution junkies, even 35mm film contains more than 4k of info when shot and transferred well. This film probably has more than 8k of resolution in it given the size of the negative and attention to technical detail lavished on it.
post #8 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
So you are saying you don't want a higher resolution version of this film if we can get it ? Look at Lawrence of Arabia and know how good older films can look. Of course I know LA got the royale treatment chemically and digitally but I'm certain 2001 can look better than it does on the present Blu Ray.

Art
post #9 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Look at Lawrence of Arabia in UHD.

Art
post #10 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I would imagine that bridge has already been crossed when the blu-ray was authored. His vision is captured in film, as you remarked. So the question is, how much of the director's intent do you really lose/alter when you translate that into the digital domain?
I get that part and its a valid point but at what point do you stop just transferring a directors work into another format and start altering the one thing that the director was fanatical about which is the actual look of the film to the point that some of his original vision of it's look is altered?

Kubrick was unique with his background in photography and he brought that to his films. I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill and the final product may look amazing to me but I just hope it's not changed too much from the film I've watched hundreds of times and loved each and every viewing is all. Imagine Christopher Nolan passing away and having his estate and a bunch of lawyers and opportunists wanting to apply the next format to his best work. The batcave faithful would erupt. Bear in mind I'm not referring to a transfer to a new medium. I'm fine with that.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #11 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Considering Kubrick was probably that far ahead of his time I guess a lot but where does improvement end and altering the directors vision start.

post #12 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Exactly.

Existing SDR transfers truncate the dynamic range in the original film. Using an HDR container will enable us to see at home what folks saw in the cinema. The film source contains more dynamic range than SDR like 1080p Blu-Ray can handle.

The original film also contains colors outside the rec709 palette. We've never been able to see those on home video before. Now we will get to!

And of course for the resolution junkies, even 35mm film contains more than 4k of info when shot and transferred well. This film probably has more than 8k of resolution in it given the size of the negative and attention to technical detail lavished on it.
Ok. This all makes sense to me. Seeing more of what the director intended is fine with me.

post #13 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
So you are saying you don't want a higher resolution version of this film if we can get it ? Look at Lawrence of Arabia and know how good older films can look. Of course I know LA got the royale treatment chemically and digitally but I'm certain 2001 can look better than it does on the present Blu Ray.

Art
I'm not saying that at all. Did I say anything about not wanting higher resolution? Straw man argument your table is waiting.

post #14 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Look at Lawrence of Arabia in UHD.

Art
Wait... when did this happen? I just looked on Amazon and can't find it.

EDIT: Found it as a UHD streaming rental option. OK, I thought it was available on disc and I somehow missed buying it!
post #15 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Sweet. I can't wait to see HAL in HDR. I also hope we get to hear HAL in Atmos. "I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

post #16 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

A lot of it has fairly muted colors though, blacks and whites and tans so probably only a few scenes here and there were make use of the wide gamut for this one.
Maybe some of the reds look more accurate now though.
post #17 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
Wait... when did this happen? I just looked on Amazon and can't find it.

EDIT: Found it as a UHD streaming rental option. OK, I thought it was available on disc and I somehow missed buying it!
This has been available from Kaleidescape in UHD for about a year or so, absolutely incredible really.

Art
post #18 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying that at all. Did I say anything about not wanting higher resolution? Straw man argument your table is waiting.

Sorry not intentional it was just hard to tell from this post exactly what you meant. This sounds like a depressing sort of "they will ruin it if they touch it" post to me.

Quote:

Art
post #19 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Meh a rumor from a self admitted rumor flogger. I will believe it when there is an official announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post
A lot of it has fairly muted colors though, blacks and whites and tans so probably only a few scenes here and there were make use of the wide gamut for this one.
Thank goodness somebody with reasonable expectations. The film was shot on non-hdr cameras so there will not be blasting hotness which I sure did not see in the fresh 70mm print a few years ago.
skibum5000 likes this.
post #20 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1777 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Note that even the 4K UHD disc will not be capable of presenting the full resolution present in those 70mm prints.
nathan_h and skibum5000 like this.
post #21 of 485 Old 01-31-2018, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry not intentional it was just hard to tell from this post exactly what you meant. This sounds like a depressing sort of "they will ruin it if they touch it" post to me.
No worries. Conveying what one means only by the written word leaves out all of the important visual and tonal cues necessary in understanding intent and no offense but I long ago stopped allowing other people to define the context of what I mean especially when I plainly stated color grading and "alterations" as my concerns and you come back with resolution and now it's the old, "I would have understood your position better if you had better writing skills to state your actual position."

Fact is you brought your own narrative to what my post was about thinking I'm bringing some tired old argument to the table that you could make quick work of with a shocked face emoji while inserting a word I never used and then later saying it was because the words I did use at the time were too muddled to decipher my meaning.

Here's the cliff notes version. I have ZERO issues with cleaning up someone's film source or correcting color errors but Kubrick had no errors that needed cleaning. That's why he burnt through so much film stock and shooting days to many a producers dismay and why even cutting room scenes of one of his films were even used in the original Bladerunner by Ridley Scott. A well known perfectionist filmmaker in his own rights.

If this print is going to be more true to how it was shot and shown in theaters originally then I'm fine with that. If it reveals something that was already there then I'm fine with that. If the improved resolution shows details previously unseen in the print then I'm fine with that. HDR is a film tool. Tools can build beautiful things. They can also damage beautiful things. It's all in the hands of the carpenter and the master carpenter of this film isn't with us anymore to guide their hands.

Also, what's depressing about wanting a visionary once in a lifetime artists work to stay true to its creators intent and what's the formula for touching it? "Just because we can" is usually the stock answer.

I put Kubrick's work in a very unique category of filmmakers. I've watched his films over decades and hundreds of times as I'm sure many others here have as well. Would HDR improve Barry Lyndon which was shot with a camera so unique there were only 2 or 3 in existence at the time and shot mostly (but not all) in natural light? It was intentionally shot so that still frames of each scene looked like oil paintings from the era. Will HDR and some no name colorist really improve the climactic duelling scene in the barn? If not then to me that's a better definition of depressing than yours.

Quote:
Art
My brother and Dad are named Art as well. Nice name.

Last edited by Madmax67; 02-01-2018 at 12:04 AM.
post #22 of 485 Old 02-03-2018, 08:49 AM

The fact that Robert Harris seems to have heard nothing about it makes me a little less optimistic.

Art
post #23 of 485 Old 02-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Please wetgate scan!

Astell&Kern Futura SE100-Klipsch x11i-Klipsch x20i-Focal Clear
Pioneer SC85-NOS Valves NBS Preamp-NOS Valves Magnequest VRD
Klipsch Cornwall-Heresy II Signature-SW115-La Scala II 70th
Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2se 10th Anniversary-OPPO UHP203
Samsung PN64D8000-LG C7/65"
post #24 of 485 Old 02-03-2018, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked: 3392
Quote:
The fact that Robert Harris seems to have heard nothing about it makes me a little less optimistic.
I assume you're basing that on this post he wrote? That reads to me like he's being coy, as if he has insider info but isn't allowed to divulge it publicly yet. He does that a lot.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #25 of 485 Old 02-04-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I assume you're basing that on this post he wrote? That reads to me like he's being coy, as if he has insider info but isn't allowed to divulge it publicly yet. He does that a lot.

Josh that isn't where I saw him post but I can't remember where it was. It was more like if it were going to be restored he'd have heard and hadn't although that was a few months ago.

Art
post #26 of 485 Old 02-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:

Art

Astell&Kern Futura SE100-Klipsch x11i-Klipsch x20i-Focal Clear
Pioneer SC85-NOS Valves NBS Preamp-NOS Valves Magnequest VRD
Klipsch Cornwall-Heresy II Signature-SW115-La Scala II 70th
Wyred4Sound DAC 2v2se 10th Anniversary-OPPO UHP203
Samsung PN64D8000-LG C7/65"
post #27 of 485 Old 02-05-2018, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post
You're kidding, right? That movie is full of shades of bright red and orange. There's also a ton of stark white and pitch black. This is the perfect opportunity to see them without all the crushing:

post #28 of 485 Old 02-05-2018, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked: 3392
Quote:
Josh that isn't where I saw him post but I can't remember where it was. It was more like if it were going to be restored he'd have heard and hadn't although that was a few months ago.
Hmm, well, I certainly hope Warner isn't just planning to upconvert the old Blu-ray master and tweak it for HDR. If I'm not mistaken, that master was scanned from a 35mm reduction element, not the original 65mm. Probably done at 2k at that time, too.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #29 of 485 Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 AM

\

I was hoping we could get color more like some of the stills . The pink chairs, knowing they were red, never did it for me.

Art
IronWaffle likes this.
post #30 of 485 Old 02-05-2018, 06:06 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags