How Much is Too Much? (Blu-ray/DVD Collections - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 05-16-2018, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
How Much is Too Much? (Blu-ray/DVD Collections

I have well over a thousand DVD's, with Blu-rays making up a growing percentage of the total (with about a dozen 3D disks). As I look at my collection alphabetically organized on shelving I asked myself: How many of these movies have I viewed more than once? I did manage to get rid of DVD's where I bought (or received as presents) the blu-ray version but there are many that I would probably never look at again.

One answer is to stream and not buy but there almost always is a difference in quality on my 110" screen (with a Sony HWES 40 projector and 7.2 sound system). I am afraid of even contemplating moving up to 4K. Any of you out there asked yourself the same questions I am asking and what were your solutions/conclusions?

John F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 05-16-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 897
One solution is to rent or stream the movies that you might like and buy only the ones that have replay value to you.
post #3 of 41 Old 05-16-2018, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked: 550
I currently have about ~500 titles on disc - mostly blu-ray. After an initial mini-splurge in 4K, I've come to the conclusion that, for a significant percentage of movies, the incremental improvement in visual quality doesn't automatically warrant the cost to upgrade, and I'm not just referring to how good a specific transfer may look on the disc itself, but also the (in)capability of my in-home system to present HDR in at its full potential (<1000 nits peak brightness, edge-lit/poor blacks).

So, my future UHD purchases will be heavily scrutinized in terms of how much of an improvement they are to the blu-ray, in addition to how good the 3D version is (if available). For my own viewing pleasure, a good 3D presentation provides a more immersive viewing experience compared to a good UHD presentation.

In short, UHD definitely isn't an automatic purchase for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 05-16-2018, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 648
We back up all our movies to the server and store the discs in boxes, so in terms of storage, we don't really worry about it. However, we tend to only keep things that we want to watch again or share with other people. I think our total collection is around 600-700. We don't typically keep the DVD if we have the Blu-ray, or the Blu-ray if we have the UHD. For movies with multiple releases, I keep some of them for comparative purposes, but mostly we try to keep our collection streamlined to only what we really like and realistically intend to rewatch. Assuming an average of 100 minutes needed to watch each movie, how many can you watch in a year? In a decade?
post #5 of 41 Old 05-16-2018, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked: 1812
I have mine on Kaleidescape, approaching 2000 DVDs and Blu Rays including around 40 4K titles. My issue is that so many I have if I didn't buy them I'd never see them. When I get closer to filling my system I will likely look at some deletions although the drives can be upgraded to store 50% more than my present capacity of around 75TB.

Art
post #6 of 41 Old 05-16-2018, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Better 'too many' BDs then too few.
post #7 of 41 Old 05-17-2018, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 764
I have been diligently collecting and storing my Blu Ray Movies (got rid of all DVD's) over the years - have a BD Book Case with diligently marked Alphabetical Order to store the Discs.
About 800 of these are on my K System.
Also have diligently kept my UV Codes and have a large UV collection on VUDU - understand UV is going bye bye to be replaced with Movies Anywhere.
I have never been more confused on which way to go because transition from DVD to HD DVD (which I promptly quit) to BD was easy...
But now In the 4K world I have - UHD BD Discs, VUDU Streaming Titles, iTunes 4K Titles, Kaleidescape UHD Titles....
Ughh....
I Know streaming can not compete with discs but some titles especially on VUDU with HDR 10 and ATMOS are looking good. Itunes has upgraded so many of my titles in UV to 4K HDR.
And once Apple gets ATMOS I think it will be a awesome way to stream as their quality is pretty darned good.
I wish we could simplify as in the days of BD and Collect one kind of media .....
Where I am going with is that soon we may not need to keeping discs - everything would be in the cloud.... because it is one confusing time today.
post #8 of 41 Old 05-17-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I have over 700 movies on disc, BD unless the movie hasn't been released on BD, and a few hundred discs of TV shows. These are either movies I've gotten and plan to watch or movies I plan to watch again. Things I have seen and don't think I would ever watch again I bequeath to the library. TV shows are those I've seen and know I will watch again in the future, mostly PBS from Masterpiece! and Mystery, and usually British and usually somewhat obscure. For example, my wife and I are currently going through all of the original Upstairs Downstairs and the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes. The reason I have all these and have not really gotten significantly into streaming is that you never know how long a movie will be available on a particular streaming server. Things go on and off Netflix and Amazon all the time, and I don't want to pay for something I've already seen. I use streaming primarily for TV shows I didn't watch when they were originally shown but want to watch now. Currently that includes The Americans and a few others from the recent past. Another use of streaming is watching old TV shows which did not have subtitles on the original DVDs but do if they are available for streaming.

Plus, this is a hobby for me and consider the time and money spent that way, and in a year or so when I retire, I plan to move all these onto a server for use anywhere in my home.

SMK
post #9 of 41 Old 05-17-2018, 11:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 600
I have a ton of discs as well. Again, usually bought because I'm interested in the movie. Renting in Canada is hard with no real netflix style service so it's either purchase or... Purchase. Used is an option of you can find it locally, otherwise shipping eats up all the savings and you might as well have bought new. And even local can be tricky if it's not a place that's convenient to both - driving and gas and time start to add up.

We have streaming services - but stuff like cinemanow, flixster, etc the cost is not much cheaper than the disc but with more limitations and lower quantity.
post #10 of 41 Old 05-18-2018, 08:21 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefny View Post
I have well over a thousand DVD's, with Blu-rays making up a growing percentage of the total (with about a dozen 3D disks). As I look at my collection alphabetically organized on shelving I asked myself: How many of these movies have I viewed more than once? I did manage to get rid of DVD's where I bought (or received as presents) the blu-ray version but there are many that I would probably never look at again.

One answer is to stream and not buy but there almost always is a difference in quality on my 110" screen (with a Sony HWES 40 projector and 7.2 sound system). I am afraid of even contemplating moving up to 4K. Any of you out there asked yourself the same questions I am asking and what were your solutions/conclusions?

John F
Ahhh, the Physical Media Management Problem rears its ugly head

Having sidelined my HT hobby a few years after doing a deep dive into 2ch audiophilia and clubs, I've come full circle back to HT-philia after being re-energized with Art Sonneborn's Sony 5K dual stack (maturation of UHD 4K discs, HDR and immersive audio formats didn't hurt either)

Some observations gleaned from the 2ch audiophile world- most older 2ch audio guys cherish their physical media (vinyl and CD/SACD/DVD/BD discs) and consider managing a large physical media collection part of the hobby and enjoy the physical interaction and ownership.

Many younger 2ch guys advocate the Tidal's and/or other lossless stream/dl options of the world.

Thoughtfully curated, a physical collection can maintain and appreciate in value, based on OOP prices on ebay/discogs
https://www.discogs.com/

"Curated" is the key idea- you need to maintain your physical media in a safe environment (temp/humidity/moisture), and periodically cull the collection to keep the total number manageable, retaining only the most valuable $$$ wise and re-watchable, which varies by individual, and perhaps rarity/cultural/artistic/reference demo value

I once tried to be an OCD "completist"- i.e. collect all movies by a given director, or with a given actor in them. Fine if you have the time/space/$$$, but perhaps futile. Probably better to use streaming options for many catalog/legacy titles, but then you run the risk of politically correct edits moving forward, or director's whims (Spielberg- ET/Lucas SW, etc). This is the reason the original Star Wars Laser Disc releases command collector's premiums. titles may be pulled from streamed sources on the whim of copyright holders due to contract/royalty disputes, and other business related issues.

That said, as more DVDs/BD's show up at thrift stores and garage sales, I find myself buying up more physical media again, though being more picky about physical condition and artistic/collector's value vs cost. Yard sale prices can be 50 cents or less for DVD's if you make a group deal, and maybe a $1 or less for multi disk BluRays!

Even if I'm not thrilled with a DVD/BD, if in good condition, complete and a great price, I'll buy for future trade value. In SE MI, there is a chain called Disc Replay that buys/sells used disc media- movies & games. The idea is, if you get enough DVD/BD's for $1 or less at thrift, go swap ones you cull from your collection and double down to get BD's/4K's your'e missing/want.

It may take 10-20 DVD/BD's to swap for one BD/4K you don't have at these retail outlets, but if it's stuff you don't want and/or got for $0.50-$1 each, who cares! Better deals can be had swapping with fellow collectors.

In any event, the idea is you're reducing your item count while getting something you want.
Phantom Stranger likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 05-21-2018 at 05:41 AM.
post #11 of 41 Old 05-18-2018, 09:27 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Another point re: physical ownership- provenance.

With streaming audio, for example, you don't know if it's REALLY lossless or just decompressed from aac/mp3/mpg lossy source.
Or if it's *really* hi res (24/96 or 24/192) or upconverted 16/44.

With physical discs, you know what you've got bitrate/source/provenance chain-wise.

Same goes for video discs- the highest bitrates/colorspace/hdr/bit depth and quality (minimal compression artifacts, lossless audio vs lossy codecs, etc) will be disc media (UHD, then 8K discs) in the meaningful future.

Streamed video sources have variable/unknown bitrates, codecs, bit depth, hdr metadata, lossy audio, etc.

Last edited by Rgb; 05-21-2018 at 05:35 AM.
post #12 of 41 Old 05-18-2018, 09:32 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

All that said, I have been using Amazon Prime or Netflix for many "first viewings" of new rental releases, partly because I have many Prime Amazon credits to use for free stream rentals.

Also, if it's something I haven't seen yet, I'd rather rent a stream or disc then followup with a disc purchase if rewatchable/likable.

If I saw a pic at a commercial theater and liked it, I'll just buy the disc later, or put it on my gift (Bday/Xmas) list.

Another way to cull your disc herd is to gift titles to family/friends/coworkers for birthdays, holidays, Xmas, Father's Day, retirements, etc.

I also started giving some away at Halloween where appropriate to age/gender

You should see some of the 5-10yr old's eyes open wide when you put a cartoon or kid flick in their bag!

Last edited by Rgb; 05-28-2018 at 08:50 AM.
post #13 of 41 Old 05-19-2018, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I always have a thing with filling my dedicated shelf up to 90% or so. Doesn't matter how big the shelf space is, but they need to look full. Once it gets to that point I just weed out the less popular as I replace them with newer titles.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
post #14 of 41 Old 05-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

With copyright policy becoming increasingly draconian, ownership of physical media will be the only way purists, AV-philes and collectors can ensure they maintain access to specific titles and edits/content of films moving forwards

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...ght_extension/

(Physical) Ownership will ALWAYS be 11/10ths of the "law"

Yeah, yeah, we know about ripping to hard disk and reencodes, but those have zero resale/market/collector's value and can have A/V quality issues (reduced bitrate and compression artifacts, missing audio tracks/subtitles, Cinavia, etc).
sarahb75 and CygnusX2112 like this.

Last edited by Rgb; 05-28-2018 at 08:41 AM.
post #15 of 41 Old 05-22-2018, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2823 Post(s)
Liked: 2781
I'm also having issues with collecting movies these days.

For one thing, like Rgb, I did a deep dive back in to high end 2 channel audio - trying various new speakers, and especially having picked up a high end turntable.
My mind seems to have room for only one obsession at a time, so I have tended to be listening to albums far more than watching movies (my 2 channel speakers share room with my Projection-based home theater).

I've had a UHD capable projector, and a UHD player for something like 2 years now, and still haven't set it up for UHD! (It's a major hassle to do this in my system for several reasons).

As for movies, I went through collecting DVDs to some extent, but really kicked it into higher gear when HD DVD and Blu-Ray came out (I still have lots of HD DVDs...sigh). But I'm not watching most of them these days. And so I tend to want to stream or rent. Problem being, we in Canada have pretty awful choices as far as streamed movies. (Netflix movies here is the equivalent selection of the DVD rack in an old convenience store - just a ramshackle collection of content people didn't want). And I'm an awful renter. I so often return them late and incur charges, which move me back to buying again. Buying movies I'm not watching more than once these days.

Whereas I LOVE the physical aspect of vinyl albums - they really can be beautiful to look at and hold - I don't find movies, DVDs or Blu-Rays, interesting or enticing as physical objects to own. More of a bother that takes up space. I'd be happy only having digital copies.

And then there's UHD. I'm not all hot and bothered to own UHD titles - rebuying ones I own on Blu-Ray yet again - even though I really want to eventually see UHD titles. So there seems little choice but to buy the ones I want.

I wonder if perhaps it's time to look again at Kaleidescape as a possible solution to these issues. (Though I don't even know if my internet package would support those giant downloads!)

ETA: Ugh. Just looked at the Kaleidescape web site. Mentions 11,000 available movies in their store. "smaller selection for Canada."

Of course...of course....

Last edited by R Harkness; 05-22-2018 at 09:11 PM.
post #16 of 41 Old 05-23-2018, 04:18 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

While it can be a crap shoot re: which DVD/BD/UHD disc sets will be worth the most over time, one category that appears to hold its value and appreciate reliably are music concert DVD/BD's, especially as they go out of print.

Classic Disney animated features complete in packaging also tend to retain their value, as well as special packaging editions like Steelbooks and/or with limited extra discs.

I find myself collecting vintage Snap Case DVD's, as these cardboard style cases have not been produced for years and are interesting variations.

I'll laugh at all of you as my well curated collection shows up on Antiques Roadshow 30 years from now, muwahahaha!
channelserf likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 05-28-2018 at 07:13 AM.
post #17 of 41 Old 05-23-2018, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Reselling is a bad reason to get into disc media formats.
sarahb75 and Tedd like this.
post #18 of 41 Old 05-25-2018, 05:55 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
Yes it is.

The only real reasons I buy disc media are technical (known/high bitrates, codecs, provenance, specific edits & content, mastering and author
In quality, etc) and/or rewatchability, which varies greatly from person to person (artistic impression, cultural value, personal nostalgia, personal meaning, etc)

The fact that some OOP titles may appreciate is just a bonus- no one should expect or plan a retirement with

In fact, physical media in general has the WORST depreciation (buying at retail) of most products. That's why most media I buy is used or second hand/open box.

Collecting interesting variations, printing errors (disc label or packaging) or rarer cuts that were pulled/replaced in the market is a fun side hobby, akin to baseball card or stamp collecting IMO.
Just don't overspend on these. I'm thinking lucky thrift finds.

There is a certain pride in having a well curated, well (physically) maintained collection on display as a media library for others "in the know" to appreciate.

Last edited by Rgb; 05-28-2018 at 06:45 AM.
post #19 of 41 Old 05-26-2018, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Can't agree with that. If one uses care, you can get quite a hefty profit. Though the art collecting comes first, the market for even crappy DVD quality seems to still be booming which is alright by me. It is like a rebate for the tired old DVD copy included with bluray. Why would anyone want two of the same thing, only in lesser quality?
post #20 of 41 Old 05-26-2018, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Video-Nerd Technically Too Much" is collection-mathematically the amount of titles that exceeds ones current hard drive storage capacity by one.

"Practically Too Much" is previous amount - 95%, because about 95% of movies and series are watchable barely once. That percent is increasing, because trending Marvel etc. kid-subject-for-adult -harebrain movies are not watchable even that one time.
post #21 of 41 Old 05-28-2018, 06:49 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterSapiens View Post
"Video-Nerd Technically Too Much" is collection-mathematically the amount of titles that exceeds ones current hard drive storage capacity by one.

"Practically Too Much" is previous amount - 95%, because about 95% of movies and series are watchable barely once. That percent is increasing, because trending Marvel etc. kid-subject-for-adult -harebrain movies are not watchable even that one time.
I consider hard drive stored media (Music and movies/video) a convenience, and more practical for large music collections and "top 10/100"/recent/benchmark movie serving, but not for long term archiving/collecting.

The only real "backup" is a physical optical disc stored in an environmentally safe place.

The cool thing about optical media is that the recorded media is separate from the playback device. In a hard disk, the recorded disc in integral to the playback device and cannot be used with another separate playback device (Read heads, motor, read electronics, etc). All that playback mechanism is prone to failure, even though the actual recorded spinning disc may be fine.

Yeah, yeah we all know about USB/eSata/NAS/RAID "Backups", but these are prone to the same failure modes, and costs go up dramatically. And the contents have zero market value, and the physical device depreciates to zero over time.

Remember, IT pros KNOW that RAID is NOT a "Backup"- it only improves the running reliability of a live data set.

True re: 95% of EVERYTHING is crap- learning how to identify quality is a great life skill.

Last edited by Rgb; 05-28-2018 at 07:01 AM.
post #22 of 41 Old 05-28-2018, 06:52 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesim View Post
Can't agree with that. If one uses care, you can get quite a hefty profit. Though the art collecting comes first, the market for even crappy DVD quality seems to still be booming which is alright by me. It is like a rebate for the tired old DVD copy included with bluray. Why would anyone want two of the same thing, only in lesser quality?
Correct. Entire store chains are in business predicated on the resale value of physical media.

http://www.discreplay.com/

I have found their prices and policies for DVD/BluRay buying and selling fair given their retail business needs.

Like ANY collecting hobby, if you are a participant, you need to track the condition and values of what you are collecting, if you care- whether stamps, baseball cards, wine, Hot Wheels, GI Joe, Big Jim, or DVD/BD/UHD discs

There is Audio/Video "Geek cred" knowing what you've got, including rarity, tech details (codecs, bitrates, edit content, etc).

Think the Big Bang episode where Sheldon steals the (fictional) celluloid copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark with a few seconds of never made public footage

Yes, you could obtain a hand cam, screener or reviewer copy on disc (optical or hard drive) or darkweb, but owning the physical authentic versions "trumps" all else (sorry DT haters )

It's more than geek cred- there is real monetary/market value in such physical editions.
genesim likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 05-28-2018 at 08:48 AM.
post #23 of 41 Old 05-28-2018, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
It's more than geek cred- there is real monetary/market value in such physical editions.
Agree completely. What has history shown us, the herd that flocks to the hate on physical media much like the herd of the past in the renters market, are very very finicky and are akin to ones that buy pet rocks, beanie babies, and "Hoola hoops and other useless endeavors" (to quote Marlon Brando).

This not to be provocative or offensive, it is just the truth. When you bet, don't always bet with the crowd. The ones that lead don't place value on the flock.

The stream only attitude is missing out on some darn fine movies in much better quality. A lot of TV show season trends (not all) is like cotton candy, easy to digest with a sweet mesmerizing taste, but ultimately empty and not real food.

The concept of taking 5 to 10 years to write a story vs the rewarding couple of hours to change the world and have re-watch value for likely centuries ...the latter is much more important to me.

I once had someone tell me that "just because it is a classic, doesn't make it good". Of course my question was, have you actually seen the movie? Uh no, then you are talking out your ...?...case closed then.

Getting back though. The idea of physical media is more than a tangible worth vs the up in the air approach of having the companies have complete control by having you subscribe to their vision of what you should see....it is more than that.

The physical copy is a save state that guarantees that what was sold to you will not change. It is a company reviewed product that by definition makes them have a degree of accountability as opposed to trying to prove what you saw at that moment in time on your TV or computer that is dictated by something as arbitrary as what kind of weather or other environmental factor decided what pixels you are allowed to see. In the end, that company had to spend X dollars making sure it got in your hand, and once there, it STAYS there (unless it is stolen or sold etc..).
post #24 of 41 Old 05-28-2018, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Thumbs up

Quote:
I agree, and when replacing the DVD versions of favorite movies, with Blu-ray versions, as has been done for hundreds of titles, I've always given away the DVDs to friends or relatives.

Mike Boone
post #25 of 41 Old 05-30-2018, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have replaced some DVD's with Blu Ray's but only where the quality jump was notable. Over all, I will keep my collection and grow it until I get old enough to retire for no other reason than that I can choose to watch the movies I want when I want. With online streaming and content wars (that I suspect will get worse in the future) I suspect that to have access to all the movies you want you may need subscriptions to many different streaming services over time. Just imagine if Disney stopped making physical media for a large part of their collection, and then in five years decided that only by subscribing to their streaming service at, say, $30 a month, could you watch the movies. Everybody with the physical media will be very happy to forego that subscription while those that do not have the physical media will be forced to choose between the money and the movies. Add to that all the other broadcast companies, all the streaming companies starting to get into production of their own content, and before long we could be looking at cutting the cord as the expensive way to go for content if you want a variety of content. I suspect that in the long run we are looking at companies being able to control their content well enough to make it very expensive to enjoy the variety we have now.
channelserf likes this.

Darenwh

Just getting started. Hope to have some decent equipment within a year or two.
post #26 of 41 Old 05-30-2018, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
One thing I will say, if you decide to get rid of much of your collection you will find that for most titles on the used market they go for next to nothing so that makes it even easier for me to decide to just keep what I have. When I upgrade something I just give the old DVD to a friend or family member.

Darenwh

Just getting started. Hope to have some decent equipment within a year or two.
post #27 of 41 Old 05-30-2018, 03:28 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darenwh View Post
I have replaced some DVD's with Blu Ray's but only where the quality jump was notable. Over all, I will keep my collection and grow it until I get old enough to retire for no other reason than that I can choose to watch the movies I want when I want. With online streaming and content wars (that I suspect will get worse in the future) I suspect that to have access to all the movies you want you may need subscriptions to many different streaming services over time. Just imagine if Disney stopped making physical media for a large part of their collection, and then in five years decided that only by subscribing to their streaming service at, say, $30 a month, could you watch the movies. Everybody with the physical media will be very happy to forego that subscription while those that do not have the physical media will be forced to choose between the money and the movies. Add to that all the other broadcast companies, all the streaming companies starting to get into production of their own content, and before long we could be looking at cutting the cord as the expensive way to go for content if you want a variety of content. I suspect that in the long run we are looking at companies being able to control their content well enough to make it very expensive to enjoy the variety we have now.
Good analysis moving forward.

I can see Disney being the first (or one of) to ditch all physical media sales and force a sub to their stream service.

OTOH, this would cause a run on physical media on the used market and prices will skyrocket Beanie Baby style

DVD/BD used market volatility closely matches the used video game market- carts and disc media going back to the 70's and 80's (Atari VCS on up).

I have bought and sold a LOT of video game carts since the 80's, again, just a fun hobby and nostalgia, though there are those rare carts or discs that can command significant premiums.
post #28 of 41 Old 05-31-2018, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I rip all on to my servers. Currently at about 4500 movies. Some discs I've kept others I've got rid of.
post #29 of 41 Old 05-31-2018, 03:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2309 Post(s)
Liked: 3661
Discs are like books, the ones you want to keep will let you know, it's like a feeling. Just beware of collections that get so big you'll never have time to watch them/listen to them/read them. Have working collections that bring you pleasure and not dust collection. Above all don't overthink it.
nathanddrews and channelserf like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #30 of 41 Old 05-31-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Have working collections that bring you pleasure and not dust collection.
Lots of wisdom right there. If I didn't know better, I'd expect that to be ripped straight from the Psalms or Proverbs. I have a bad tendency to hang onto things that would otherwise just get thrown away/sold later, so I try really hard not to collect them in the first place. By limiting ourselves to 1) only movies we love, and 2) only movies that have the best quality transfers/encodes, it acts as its own self-regulating defense.

Spoiler!
tenthplanet likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page