The Right Stuff 4K UHD disc release - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By Rgb
  • 1 Post By Art Sonneborn
  • 1 Post By Cam Man

post #1 of 10 Old 07-20-2018, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 642
The Right Stuff 4K UHD disc release

Latest info I'm aware of

https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...-furious/42065

One of the most rewatchable films for my wife and I- at least 2-3 times a year

As some Amazon reviews assert, I agree that it is one of the top 20 films of all time, or at least top history docu-dramas.

I assume a 4K UHD disc release will address Art's audio dynamics concerns
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-b...edition-3.html

Quote:
Sure wish the John Glenn liftoff scene sounded better. One of the most dramatic scenes in any film but seems to lack dynamics.

Art
Apparently, the orginal 30th Anniversary BluRay release had only 48Khz audio, but a "corrected" 96Khz version was released.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/com....327280/page-6

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....214141&page=25

Last edited by Rgb; 07-20-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-20-2018, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

I saw it several times at the theater during its initial US run- my generation's 2001
post #3 of 10 Old 07-20-2018, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 399
This on one of my "Holy Grails." My Dad took me to see it in the theater when I was a kid, and have owned it on VHS (from HBO) and DVD. This one really got me interested in "real" space films and history, and I've had the BRD on my Amazon wishlist forever, but haven't pulled the trigger, thankfully now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-21-2018, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

A true gem demonstrating the art of film-making.

Perfect example of how to blend stock footage, masterful editing, mature cinematography, pitch perfect casting and intelligent writing.

Watch Kaufman's other films- a quite underappreciated (by the general public) writer/director
post #5 of 10 Old 07-21-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
I always like how they blended the sound of motorized shutters with what sounded like hungry insects. A great film to be sure. Some artistic license here and there with the Von Braun character who was not involved directly in manned space but instead in the propulsion eg Mercury design etc. I feel like they made Gus out to be too much of a victim had he really been that pathetic he would not have been selected to be commander of both the first Gemini and the first Apollo.

Like you guys I love this film.

Art
shivaji likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-21-2018, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
I always like how they blended the sound of motorized shutters with what sounded like hungry insects. A great film to be sure. Some artistic license here and there with the Von Braun character who was not involved directly in manned space but instead in the propulsion eg Mercury design etc. I feel like they made Gus out to be too much of a victim had he really been that pathetic he would not have been selected to be commander of both the first Gemini and the first Apollo.

Like you guys I love this film.

Art
Agreed re: Gus

From the Earth to the Moon
https://www.amazon.com/Earth-Moon-Va...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

tried to fix some of that and implied it wasn't Gus' fault for the loss of his "capsool"

Last edited by Rgb; 07-21-2018 at 01:55 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-25-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 598
That's great news!

I think that it was Roger Ebert that called The Right Stuff "a great American epic" in his review.

The book and the movie had a huge impact in my world in the late 70s and early 80s. It just coincidentally coincided with my young career as a fighter pilot. We all loved the way the book and movie portrayed the culture of which we were a part. Yeager's biography released shortly thereafter, contributing to the fun. We loved the portrayals by Sam Shepard as Yeager and Dennis Quaid as Gordo Cooper. Dennis' line "Who's the best pilot you ever saw?" is iconic in that world.

A dozen years later I was out and into the movie biz. I worked with Dennis the one time he directed. It was a really fun summer near his home near Livingston, MT. We talked a bit about The Right Stuff and became friends. About six months later, Dennis asked me to fly down to Central America with him for a few days to help with a charity he supported. He picked me up in his Citation (that he flew, although also with a professional pilot), and off we went to New Orleans to pick up others, then on to Honduras and Nicaragua.

Upon return, my wife and kids picked us up at the airport and met Dennis. I chose that time to ask a favor of Dennis. I said "Dennis, we have to hear the line. THE line." He didn't catch on for a moment, then realized what I was asking for. He delivered in character as Gordo. "Who's the best pilot you ever saw?" There was a moment of silence, then our five year old daughter broke the silence loudly with "My daddy!!" Dennis roared with laughter. We all did. Great memory. Great guy.
Brandon B likes this.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-25-2018, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 1631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
That's great news!

I think that it was Roger Ebert that called The Right Stuff "a great American epic" in his review.

The book and the movie had a huge impact in my world in the late 70s and early 80s. It just coincidentally coincided with my young career as a fighter pilot. We all loved the way the book and movie portrayed the culture of which we were a part. Yeager's biography released shortly thereafter, contributing to the fun. We loved the portrayals by Sam Shepard as Yeager and Dennis Quaid as Gordo Cooper. Dennis' line "Who's the best pilot you ever saw?" is iconic in that world.

A dozen years later I was out and into the movie biz. I worked with Dennis the one time he directed. It was a really fun summer near his home near Livingston, MT. We talked a bit about The Right Stuff and became friends. About six months later, Dennis asked me to fly down to Central America with him for a few days to help with a charity he supported. He picked me up in his Citation (that he flew, although also with a professional pilot), and off we went to New Orleans to pick up others, then on to Honduras and Nicaragua.

Upon return, my wife and kids picked us up at the airport and met Dennis. I chose that time to ask a favor of Dennis. I said "Dennis, we have to hear the line. THE line." He didn't catch on for a moment, then realized what I was asking for. He delivered in character as Gordo. "Who's the best pilot you ever saw?" There was a moment of silence, then our five year old daughter broke the silence loudly with "My daddy!!" Dennis roared with laughter. We all did. Great memory. Great guy.
Much more interesting life than mine ,great story !

Art
post #9 of 10 Old 07-25-2018, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 598
@Art Sonneborn e

Hi Art, I'm glad you enjoyed the story. I am blessed and thankful. Humbly...
post #10 of 10 Old 08-03-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 374
I think I have The Right Stuff on Blu-Ray, but I'm not sure. My collection's breadth exceeds my personal recollection of it's composition and I haven't bothered to catalog it with the Blu-Ray app as well as I should have. Anyway, it's something I'd love to see in 4K with high-resolution sound.

Also, I don't think I could be in the presence of The Quaid without wanting to ask him about JAWS 3D. I'm sure he has all sorts of interesting JAWS stories that nobody has heard yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page