Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-24-2018, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Lost on Blu ray

There is a region B import of Lost on Blu ray that I'm interested in, but various reviews on Amazon say that the menus are in a foreign language and even the episodes have foreign language subtitles that cannot be turned off. Can anyone confirm this before I purchase. I found a retailer that has a really good price on this set, but I don't want it if it has these issues. Thanks for any help. This is the box cover:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-30-2018, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 2696
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
There is a region B import of Lost on Blu ray that I'm interested in, but various reviews on Amazon say that the menus are in a foreign language and even the episodes have foreign language subtitles that cannot be turned off. Can anyone confirm this before I purchase. I found a retailer that has a really good price on this set, but I don't want it if it has these issues. Thanks for any help. This is the box cover:

That photo is the set from the UK, everything should be in English. Have a look on Amazon UK's site. The thing I would be concerned about is some region B discs will actually be multi-region but not saying so and some are only region B and won't play on most machines in North America.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #3 of 6 Old 11-30-2018, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 53
According to the reviews, yes even the ones on Amazon UK, the menu system is a mess and in a foreign language. Probably Japanese, but not sure. Region codes don't concern me as I don't even own a stand alone Blu-ray player anymore. I rip all my movies\TV shows to my media server and stream them to Nvidia Shield TVs throughout my house and the ripping process is region code agnostic. I was hoping to keep the menu system intact when ripping the discs, but I may just have to rip the individual episodes. Hope the reports of foreign language subtitles that cannot be turned off are inaccurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-22-2018, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Thompson View Post
According to the reviews, yes even the ones on Amazon UK, the menu system is a mess and in a foreign language. Probably Japanese, but not sure. Region codes don't concern me as I don't even own a stand alone Blu-ray player anymore. I rip all my movies\TV shows to my media server and stream them to Nvidia Shield TVs throughout my house and the ripping process is region code agnostic. I was hoping to keep the menu system intact when ripping the discs, but I may just have to rip the individual episodes. Hope the reports of foreign language subtitles that cannot be turned off are inaccurate.
Many Blu-rays manufactured in France will display subtitles in French when you select the English audio track. Unfortunately, there is no OFF key for the subtitles. If you are playing the Blu-rays on an OPPO or LG 870 you can hide the subtitles. These players include a feature called "Subtitle Shift". Subtitle shift allows the player to move the subtitles up or down. For the French disc with non-removable subtitles you can move them off the screen. The French subtitles are still there you just don't see them. Since you are not using a Blu-ray player this information is probably not helpful to you. Packaging information is very miss-leading, inaccurate. I own a lot of foreign Blu-rays and you never know what the Region-Code is until you play the disc. For that reason I have an OPPO (105) setup for Region B play.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-30-2019, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I own the region b import of Lost from the United Kingdom. The menus are all in English. The menus are kind of a mess but to me are bearable.(There is a little convolution in terms of seasonplay jumping up before you play an episode and episodes which are not contained on the current disc are also listed. But I really don't think it's a big problem.)
post #6 of 6 Old 03-30-2019, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Also, forgot to add: the subtitles are optional. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page