Indiana Jones on UHD 4K Bluray - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Havfan
  • 2 Post By impetigo
  • 1 Post By impetigo
  • 1 Post By Lozin

post #1 of 16 Old 12-31-2018, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Indiana Jones on UHD 4K Bluray

Any news re: Indy on 4K UHD Bluray?

I'd assume that now we have to wait for the release of the next Indy movie ~2021?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...n-2021-1125975

Ridiculous how they dragged their feet on more Indy films- shoulda had at least another trilogy in the can by now since "Crystal Skull", maybe two (i.e. six films since ~2000).

Yeah, Harrison did good in SW-TFA and Blade Runner 2049 and is a tough guy in real life and all, but holy moley, Spielberg, Williams and everyone else won't last forever...

Last edited by Rgb; 12-31-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-31-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Indy rights are complicated - Disney and Paramount have to come together on it.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-31-2018, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Making $$$ trumps petty bickering, though I suppose the bickering will be over who makes more...

Looking at the DIsney/Pixar/MArvel 4K releases, as well as recent Star Wars 4k discs, I think we will get Indy 4K sooner than later, though they are probably gearing up for the big 40th anniversary of Raiders 1981-2021
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-08-2019, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Making $$$ trumps petty bickering, though I suppose the bickering will be over who makes more...

Looking at the DIsney/Pixar/MArvel 4K releases, as well as recent Star Wars 4k discs, I think we will get Indy 4K sooner than later, though they are probably gearing up for the big 40th anniversary of Raiders 1981-2021
2021 is also the tentative release date for Indiana Jones 5 so that's when I'd expect the 4k set to come out.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-12-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havfan View Post
2021 is also the tentative release date for Indiana Jones 5 so that's when I'd expect the 4k set to come out.
Crazy! I was obsessed with the idea of Indy 4 since the mid 1990s and couldn't believe they actually made it, but I'm not so thrilled about 5. I mean, Harrison Ford was kind of too old the last go around, which will be about 14 years earlier than Indy 5. I hear Lucas won't be involved this go around which is probably a good thing (I think it was his idea to do the whole alien thing in Indy 4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Probably Disney buys Paramount at some point to resolve the issue, much like 20th Century Fox and X-Men. Or maybe Netflix buys Paramount. Netflix is spending $14B this year on new content so you have to figure they could easily buy a movie studio, even one of the stature and size of Paramount. Hope not!

VIDEO: Epson 5040UB | Sony 65X900A | Sony 55X900A | Samsung UN40H5500
MEDIA: Oppo UDP 203 | Oppo BDP 103 | Apple TV | Nintendo Switch
RECEIVER: Yamaha Aventage RX-A820
AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #6 of 16 Old 03-12-2019, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
Crazy! I was obsessed with the idea of Indy 4 since the mid 1990s and couldn't believe they actually made it, but I'm not so thrilled about 5. I mean, Harrison Ford was kind of too old the last go around, which will be about 14 years earlier than Indy 5. I hear Lucas won't be involved this go around which is probably a good thing (I think it was his idea to do the whole alien thing in Indy 4).
I don't have a good feeling about Indy 5. I know Liam Neeson kickstarted the old man action flicks with Taken but that was when he was in his mid fifties; Harrison Ford is now 76. They can't do a switch up of Last Crusade with him and his son since no one wants to see Shia LeBeouf again. I just hope that when it's finally in 4K we're not forced to buy a box set. I only want Raiders and Last Crusade.
nathanddrews likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-12-2019, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I only want Raiders and Last Crusade.
What?!!! Temple of Doom is the best. Absurd (but not in the Indy 4 way) but the most fun, for me at least. Always enjoyed it the most, even though I acknowledge Raiders is the true classic of the series.

AUDIO: Monitor Audio Silver 100 (front), Monitor Audio Silver C350 (center), Monitor Audio Shadow 25 (rear), Rythmik L22 (sub)
post #8 of 16 Old 03-12-2019, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 3546
Quote:
Originally Posted by impetigo View Post
What?!!! Temple of Doom is the best. Absurd (but not in the Indy 4 way) but the most fun, for me at least. Always enjoyed it the most, even though I acknowledge Raiders is the true classic of the series.
I want all four of the films in 4k. Chilled monkey brains anyone. And I loved the one with the Crystal Skull.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #9 of 16 Old 03-13-2019, 02:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I want all four of the films in 4k. Chilled monkey brains anyone. And I loved the one with the Crystal Skull.
The feast was the best part! Well, that and the mine cart chase scene. And the Indy 4 trailers were some of my favorite ever.
tenthplanet likes this.

post #10 of 16 Old 03-13-2019, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
I just hope that when it's finally in 4K we're not forced to buy a box set. I only want Raiders and Last Crusade.
Couldn't agree more! Temple of Doom lacks the same charm of the other two, I think. Maybe I just hate prequels in general? Maybe I really dislike Willie? Maybe I only like it when Indy is fighting nazis? The reasons for my dislike of Temple grows over time. I don't own the Blu-ray and probably won't buy the UHD either. There are only two Indy movies in my house and I'm just fine with that. It's not unlike the recent Jack Ryan pack - I only want October, Patriot, and Danger, not the latter two. Meh.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-13-2019, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 163
As much as I love 4K I probably won’t upgrade from my Blu-Ray set of Indiana Jones. I have upgraded some of my Blu-Ray titles to 4K such as Halloween (78) and Man of steel, ect but it has to be either a massive upgrade in picture & Sound quality or the 4K would have to be a no brainer dirt cheap. I’m quite happy with the current Blu-Ray set, same with my set of the Alien Anthology. I would however upgrade all my Star Wars Blu-Rays to 4K on day one without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Al Kuenster likes this.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-14-2019, 11:59 AM
jcc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 67
There's some talk about a 4K version being released in China next month. Anyone hear any news about when we can expect the 4K release here in the States?

I'm a web developer Jim, Not a doctor!

C8 FAQ
post #13 of 16 Old 06-14-2019, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozin View Post
As much as I love 4K I probably won’t upgrade from my Blu-Ray set of Indiana Jones. I have upgraded some of my Blu-Ray titles to 4K such as Halloween (78) and Man of steel, ect but it has to be either a massive upgrade in picture & Sound quality or the 4K would have to be a no brainer dirt cheap. I’m quite happy with the current Blu-Ray set, same with my set of the Alien Anthology. I would however upgrade all my Star Wars Blu-Rays to 4K on day one without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I usually don't upgrade my BRs to 4K, mainly DVDs like Field of Dreams, The Natural, Alien, etc.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't have a good feeling about Indy 5. I know Liam Neeson kickstarted the old man action flicks with Taken but that was when he was in his mid fifties; Harrison Ford is now 76. They can't do a switch up of Last Crusade with him and his son since no one wants to see Shia LeBeouf again. I just hope that when it's finally in 4K we're not forced to buy a box set. I only want Raiders and Last Crusade.
As an Indy geek, I am amazed they squandered the past 10+ years since Crystal Skull.

I am one of the few who thought the "basics" of Crystal Skull were good- Skull & alien plots/ideas, good action sequences- Area 51 warehouse, rocket sled and fight, ant mound fight, some other bits.
Yeah- nuked fridge a cartoon moment for most viewers, but kinda worked for me

Ford and Allen were in great shape/health/form, with Ford still willing and able to do a lot of the physical stuff.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cel...ght-at-66.html
https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/har...d_training.htm

Finally got Indy's hat and other accoutrements back to Raiders authenticity.

But the execution of Skull was off- pacing, editing, direction and poor soundtrack/missing music cues to get the "feel" right.

I can see how ToD puts many people off- Ford/Indy didn't seem "in character" vs Raiders/Last Crusade (even Skull), and some Indian coworkers actually are offended by the portrayal of India and inhabitants. Didn't like Indy-the-hero being "taken over" mentally as shown- hero ALWAYS shall break free (Eventually) by own force of will, not needing a kid to burn him. And the guy still alive after heart ripped out (though not a big deal vs the supernatural stuff in ALL Indy films, starting with Raiders).

Given the good performance/shape of Ford in Skull, we should have gotten at least 2 more films by ~2015. Could have another "farewell" trilogy by now.

I would be up for a reboot if "Done right" by someone who gets back to basics and studies Raiders very carefully to get the pacing, look and feel "right".

Either Pratt or Pine could make a good Indy, with Chris Pine my current preference.

They could easily do a WW2 era (~1940-1945) Indy trilogy, ie his time helping out the Allies mentioned in Skull. Doing this wouldn't even need a "Reboot", ie sequels/prequels sandwiched between Last crusade & Skull in the same Indy-verse

Continue through 1946~1957 with the rise of Communism/Cold War or other historically significant events/finds.

And/or do late 20's and 1930's up to ToD. Lots of options.

Last edited by Rgb; 09-08-2019 at 07:00 AM.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-05-2019, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Two films in recent years demonstrate that this kind of adventure hero can be Done Right, IMO

Present Day setting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_Raider_(film)

Late 1800's-1st half 1900's (like classic Indy)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Le...f_Tarzan_(film)

I thought both had the action choreography/atmosphere/feel of a good Indy flick Done Right, especially Tarzan 2016.

Still hoping for a Tarzan 2016 sequel
https://www.quora.com/Will-a-sequel-...rzan-2016-film

Like Indy, I consider Tarzan as portrayed in the 2016 film, and the exceptional ERB-based Filmation toon of the 70's/early 80's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarzan..._of_the_Jungle

"superheroes" or at least on par with the James Bonds/Batmans of the world.

Given the popularity of superhero/comics films, I am amazed they aren't going to town with Tarzan 2016 sequels.

Last edited by Rgb; 09-05-2019 at 08:20 AM.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-05-2019, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Heck, if Stallone can still go all Rambo

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083944/

I think Ford can swing the whip once more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page