UHD 4K Blu-ray DISC sales are doing great! 😊👍 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 7 Post By Troy LaMont
  • 2 Post By Legairre
  • 2 Post By scowl
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet

post #1 of 16 Old 01-11-2019, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Wink UHD 4K Blu-ray DISC sales are doing great! 😊👍

So much for those thinking that physical disc media is on a decline or won't be available in the short and long-term future! 🤣

83% increase YoY from 2017 with a 45% increase expected for this year! 😎

I don't know if Vincent from HDTV Test is a member but I love his work! Kudos for him bringing this to light!

Cheers to physical media! ✊

Onkyo TX-NR807
Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12
Optoma HD80 on 106" Elite Aeon Cine grey, Samsung Q6FN (2018)
Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-12-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post
Cheers to physical media! ✊
Heck yeah cheers to physical media
Troy LaMont and tenthplanet like this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #3 of 16 Old 01-12-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I can't wait until they have more releases that aren't upscaled 2K sources.
Brian Conrad and jvc like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I know old thread, but I recently noticed some odder titles getting to 4K like Moon, Pan's Labyrinth, The Doors, Waterworld all now coming to 4K UHD.

Vizio P-Series 2017 P65-C1 (442 nits), Panasonic DP-UB820
Klipsch KLF-20, KLF-C7, RS-7 (Legend Series 2002)
SVS 20-39PC subwoofer
Pioneer VSX-92TXH Elite
post #5 of 16 Old 05-12-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcarbel View Post
I know old thread, but I recently noticed some odder titles getting to 4K like Moon, Pan's Labyrinth, The Doors, Waterworld all now coming to 4K UHD.
Some of those probably have 2K intermediates so will be truly 4K just like the 40th anniversary "Alien" disc. The UHD "gold mine" might be in remastering older all film movies. Also Redbox renting to more areas might inspire some of the indie folks to release UHD discs again. Right now Redbox is mostly "tentpole" UHD.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-12-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Just passed through Best Buy, which I haven’t done in years, and went to check out their movies section. Very paltry selection of 4K movies, and the ones they had were so ridiculously overpriced no one in their right mind would buy them. I figured by now they would have at least half their movies available in 4K, and at reasonable prices, but I was wrong on both counts.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-12-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Just passed through Best Buy, which I haven’t done in years, and went to check out their movies section. Very paltry selection of 4K movies, and the ones they had were so ridiculously overpriced no one in their right mind would buy them. I figured by now they would have at least half their movies available in 4K, and at reasonable prices, but I was wrong on both counts.
Keep on eye on their sales and their web site. Things can be shipped for free store pickup, they have some titles you won't find in all their stores.
m0j0 likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #8 of 16 Old 05-13-2019, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There needs to be more "affordable" UHD players. So far just the Magnavox and Philips and I wouldn't be surprised if the Magna is a rebranded Philips. These just play the discs. More sub $100 players might get things going. But of course most people are quite satisfied with streamed 4K.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-13-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
There needs to be more "affordable" UHD players. So far just the Magnavox and Philips and I wouldn't be surprised if the Magna is a rebranded Philips. These just play the discs. More sub $100 players might get things going. But of course most people are quite satisfied with streamed 4K.
People aren't buying the inexpensive blu ray players, cheap UHD players won't work either. Too many people still happy with regular DVD's besides streaming. If newer TV's weren't 4K people wouldn't care about that either.
dougotte likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #10 of 16 Old 05-14-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
People aren't buying the inexpensive blu ray players, cheap UHD players won't work either. Too many people still happy with regular DVD's besides streaming. If newer TV's weren't 4K people wouldn't care about that either.
Cheap UHD players will work if people already have streaming on their TV or a device. There has been some discussion here on the Magnavox player but I've never seen it advertised and only BestBuy has it locally. But then I don't count since I got a great deal on an Sony X700.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-15-2019, 05:26 PM
jvc

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
I can't wait until they have more releases that aren't upscaled 2K sources.
True. Native 4K discs look the best. Grease is a prime example and I don't care what they say - T2 had that 4K something, even if it was not perfect and redone to look digital! Filming in digital will limit future tech. The REAL Star Wars prequels will suffer in the future, unless it was designed that way to look old as time goes by...
post #12 of 16 Old 05-15-2019, 05:28 PM
jvc

Quote:
Make sure you hit the Black Friday sales. Buy more then you wanted as you can always take them back if you did not want them. You will feel a lot better knowing that you got a deal when the prices rise again. I stocked up and I am happy! I did not watch some because I had to wait for my Atmos receiver to come to watch it that way.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-15-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc View Post
Make sure you hit the Black Friday sales. Buy more then you wanted as you can always take them back if you did not want them. You will feel a lot better knowing that you got a deal when the prices rise again. I stocked up and I am happy! I did not watch some because I had to wait for my Atmos receiver to come to watch it that way.

There's probably 5-10 4k movies that I want which I don't currently own, so it's really just about finding a deal on those when or if they are on sale. I think you're right though, BF would be the perfect time to score some good deals and pick up those movies I have been waiting on to go on sale.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-16-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

When I look over the selection of UHD titles it looks like when the format released a lot of indie studios jumped on board. But they have seemed to have backed off later. I'm more interested in indie and foreign titles than tentpole movies. And I prefer to rent not buy unless it's something I really want and will watch more than once.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-16-2019, 02:07 PM
jvc

Quote:
There's probably 5-10 4k movies that I want which I don't currently own, so it's really just about finding a deal on those when or if they are on sale. I think you're right though, BF would be the perfect time to score some good deals and pick up those movies I have been waiting on to go on sale.
I learned my lesson from years past. I would not bother too much with Black Friday and after it was over and the prices were high again - I got mad. The last one, it was all online and no real need to waste time in stores, so that was a bonus. On 4K, Best Buy had the best buys and I got:

T2, Halloween, Straight Outta Compton, Infinity War on 4K for $7.99 each. I would have gotten others, but I only wanted would I would keep in a collection. I also picked up Black Panther, Wonder Woman and a few others for about $4 each on BD. I would have gotten them on 4K, but the price differences were too great for me to move on them. After I saw Infinity War go back into the $25 range, I felt a lot better that I found a bargain. Disney likes selling titles at premiums so when you you get a deal, you have to take it!

I can't even find used bargains on Ebay like I used to...
post #16 of 16 Old 05-18-2019, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 1573
Glad to see the numbers , this is one of those times that I'd love to be wrong.

Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page