Will 4k UHD Blu-ray discs be the last consumer physical media format for movies? - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 143Likes

post #181 of 193 Old 05-21-2020, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Beyond 4k blu ray

Do you think there will be 6k, or 8k blu ray discs in the future? What is the limit of technology and the human eye?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 193 Old 05-21-2020, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Extremely unlikely there will be any disc format beyond 4K. There is no 6K format. If and when 8K content is available it will be thru steaming or broadcasting.

The limit of technology? The sky is the limit I guess. The limit of the human eye? That would be 8K which was chosen based on research into the human vision system. For home screens there is no need to go beyond that.
meli likes this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #183 of 193 Old 05-22-2020, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Disc will be around, because there will need to be a premiere format. But it will be niche - DVDs will be plentiful and cheap, while Blu-Ray will be the niche format for videophiles. You'll probably pay $50 for Blu-rays, $100 for UHD at first, then it'll double that instead of dying. At least, going by how laserdisc survived alongside VHS - and continued for a long while after DVD. Videophiles loved the better audio and video quality of laserdisc and bought it even though they were pushing $200. I see that as the future if Blu-Ray and UHD.

8k will probably be multi-disc as the returns don't justify developing a whole new disc format. But it likely won't be for a while - few movies are done in 4k DI right now to really even benefit from UHD. And fewer still once you take VFX still being done at 2k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 193 Old 05-22-2020, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Disc will be around... You'll probably pay $50 for Blu-rays, $100 for UHD at first, then it'll double that instead of dying....8k will probably be multi-disc as the returns don't justify developing a whole new disc format....
I think the studios would simply stop producing new Bluray and UHD discs if the market ever got that niche. I can imagine the used market prices going sky-high, though. Just like some SACD and DVD-A discs are now. But I didn't really follow the laserdisc format, so maybe that provides a better precedent.

8k discs would need to be a new format, since UHD Blu-Ray doesn't support 8k. Though I guess you're probably talking about a backyard compatible 8k UHD Bluray format. Is that right?

Last edited by meli; 05-22-2020 at 04:03 PM.
post #185 of 193 Old 05-22-2020, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Yes. Once streaming bitrates open up, the quality will be there. I expect bitrates to increase once 5G in-home broadband arrives.
meli likes this.
post #186 of 193 Old 05-22-2020, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2641 Post(s)
Liked: 1061
I think as long as the services have millions of subscribers, there's no incentive for them to increase bitrates.

Quality doesn't drive sales.
post #187 of 193 Old 05-22-2020, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
I think the studios would simply stop producing new Bluray and UHD discs if the market ever got that niche. I can imagine the used market prices going sky-high, though. Just like some SACD and DVD-A discs are now. But I didn't really follow the laserdisc format, so maybe that provides a better precedent.

8k discs would need to be a new format, since UHD Blu-Ray doesn't support 8k. Though I guess you're probably talking about a backyard compatible 8k UHD Bluray format. Is that right?
Studios will stop making discs, but niche studios will take over disc production. After all, Criterion has been doing their thing for decades now. And yes, laserdisc was big until it's official discontinuation in 2006. So I can imagine plenty of DVD releases because it's stupidly cheap, while niche studios handle the Blu-Ray and UHD transfers .

I single out DVD simply because it's a strange physical format now - other than portable DVD players, I haven't seen many DVD only players for sale - pretty much all do Blu-Ray. Yet You can buy DVD latest releases much too easily.

And yes, 8k should get it's own format, but most likely the technology wouldn't evolve and we'd just reuse the physical UHD Blu-Ray storage format to hold the 8k content across multiple discs.
meli likes this.
post #188 of 193 Old 05-23-2020, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked: 2245
Twilight Time is folding getting older films will start to dry up I'm afraid. Kaleidescape discontinued its Premiere line which allowed one to store discs on their server now only download from their store to Encore no more association with discs at all.
post #189 of 193 Old 05-23-2020, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
Extremely unlikely there will be any disc format beyond 4K. There is no 6K format. If and when 8K content is available it will be thru steaming or broadcasting.

The limit of technology? The sky is the limit I guess. The limit of the human eye? That would be 8K which was chosen based on research into the human vision system. For home screens there is no need to go beyond that.
They said almost the exact same about 1080p and 4K back in the day. If society doesn’t collapse, bandwidth and storage capacity will continue to grow.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #190 of 193 Old 05-23-2020, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post
They said almost the exact same about 1080p and 4K back in the day.
Whichever "they" said that was misinformed. What people don't realize is that 8K has always been the end goal for home screens. 1080p and 4K were just stepping stones along the way. NHK did the research into this back in the mid 90s. Right around the same time the 720/1080 HD broadcast standard was being developed.

VR is probably the only home application that will benefit from more than 8K resolution. If someone ever makes a 16K TV I will be the first to call it pointless.

And even outside the home I don't see the need for a higher resolution. I am not aware of a single movie theater that is even 8K right now. They are all 2K or 4K and the majority of them are still displaying 2K video files.

I've seen some talk about 16K and 32K displays for advertising. Now that we have modular displays it's pretty easy to do that. But in this case the resolution just ends up being a function of how many modules you put together.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #191 of 193 Old 05-23-2020, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post
They said almost the exact same about 1080p and 4K back in the day. If society doesn’t collapse, bandwidth and storage capacity will continue to grow.
I imagine there will be 8k movies (or greater) in the future (maybe the far future). The question is will those movies be delivered to consumers in a physical format? Or will they be delivered via the internet (or something else)?

Will there be another physical format, of greater quality than 4K UHD Blurays, that delivers movies to the home?

I'm sure people have wondered the same thing every time a new physical format was introduced. But those formats were all introduced before the advent of streaming movies. The popularity of Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc, changes everything.

Last edited by meli; 05-23-2020 at 11:29 AM.
post #192 of 193 Old 05-23-2020, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here's a link to a related article, but they narrow the question to if 4K Blurays will be the last disc format. As opposed to me, questioning if it's the last physical format.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.p...&id=1573809746

Last edited by meli; 05-23-2020 at 11:28 AM.
post #193 of 193 Old 05-24-2020, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2556 Post(s)
Liked: 4247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Twilight Time is folding getting older films will start to dry up I'm afraid. Kaleidescape discontinued its Premiere line which allowed one to store discs on their server now only download from their store to Encore no more association with discs at all.

Reprieve ?
SCREEN ARCHIVES ACQUIRES TWILIGHT TIME BACK CATALOG

May 14, 2020 -- Screen Archives Entertainment has reached an agreement with Twilight Time Movies to purchase the company’s extensive Twilight Time Movies inventory or back catalog effective July 1, 2020. The agreement ensures that the Twilight Time label will continue indefinitely, according to the principals.

Screen Archives has served as the primary distribution partner to Twilight Time since its beginning, working with the late Nick Redman and co-founder Brian Jamieson.

Jamieson, a veteran studio executive and filmmaker will continue to provide marketing expertise and support to Screen Archives during the transition.

Screen Archives president Craig Spaulding said, “Having worked with Brian and Nick over the years, we took this step because we have always enjoyed a good relationship with Brian (and Nick). We wanted to keep our relationship going and continue to capitalize on Brian’s years of expertise in the industry.

Screen Archives began in 1976 and has grown into a worldwide distributor of soundtracks, DVDs, and Blu-rays. No further details will be made available until after July 1, 2020.
Art Sonneborn likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page