Will 4k UHD Blu-ray discs be the last consumer physical media format for movies? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 110Likes

post #1 of 159 Old 01-16-2019, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Will 4k UHD Blu-ray discs be the last consumer physical media format for movies?

Will 4k UHD Blu-ray discs be the last consumer physical media format for movies?

If you believe there will be a new format, do you believe it will be disc based, a USB flash drive, or something else?

Will it be 8k, or maybe 4K with greater color depth, less lossy compression, etc?

And, of course, when?

I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are, not asking for any practical reason.
Brian Hampton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 591
It probably will be the last physical format. Mostly because physical sales are sliding in digital downloads and streaming. And you know the movie industry loves the pseudo ownership status of online digital stores, while the public loves not having shelves and shelves of discs and being able to just pick their movie off the list on the tv.

The few people who want physical ownership are really an anomaly - after all, why do you want to search through boxes and boxes for a movie when you can just sit down and choose it off the menu?

"Netflix and chill" really means lounging on the sofa watching movies, not trying to find something to watch off the myriad of shelves in the video library.
meli likes this.
post #3 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 2122
Moved to physical media section.
Brian Hampton likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.

Last edited by teachsac; 01-17-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Yes, I believe firmly that UHD will be the last physical disc format.
Digione likes this.
post #5 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
If it isn't the last physical format, It's the last one I'll be investing in.

Spoiler!
post #6 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopFE View Post
If it isn't the last physical format, It's the last one I'll be investing in.
Yeah... I said that when Blu-Ray came out. So many of those movies that I bought on Blu-Ray looked a bit clearer, but not THAT much - because they were old! I expected all Blu-Ray releases to be pristine, and we know that the final copy depends on the source material. So I have not re-purchased any 4K movies that I already own.

But then last night, my kid says "Hey dad, I've never seen Peter Pan or Robin Hood. Kids were talking about them at school. Can you get them?" So I got on ebay and searched. Looks like Disney released Peter Pan back in 2004 or so, then again about 10 years later. The more recent ones cost a couple of dollars more, so I figured that meant they might have upgraded the sound mix to include more recent formats? (I didn't take the time to research since it was an older Disney movie ya know.)

But now that makes me think - what if the 13th re-release of The Fifth Element had an upgraded Atmos soundtrack? That would be COOL. I'm slowly moving in the Atmos direction, and I could see me doing some re-purchases to get the upgraded sounds. So while I agree with what you said, I also think "Never say never"...
post #7 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickpal View Post
Yes, I believe firmly that UHD will be the last physical disc format.
Bummer.... I was really looking forward to buying all my favourite movies again in the 8K HyperHD Green-ray disc format
RagtopFE likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
TV: LG 65UH770V | DISC SPINNER: OPPO UDP-203 | STB: VU+ UNO 4K SE
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
ISP: Virgin Media @ 100Mbps | NETWORK: 1000Mbps | NAS: Synology DS212+
post #8 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Forget streaming from someone else's servers. I like owning my media and ripping it the way I choose.
That gives me the choice of serious viewing with the best possible PQ and AQ from the best source available to me, the physical BR or UHD4KBR disc, OR, streaming from my own server in pretty darn good quality for casual viewing.

Not to mention the fact that I actually own the media. I had friends who lost music when some early streaming services closed their doors. They weren't laughing at physical media when that happened.

Physical discs aren't susceptible to internet outages, ISP data caps, or low bandwidth buffering hell.

I do hope UHD will be the last physical media that requires a moving parts player. In a perfect world the next physical media would be isolinear chips. :-)
Brian Hampton and darksets like this.
post #9 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Having uncompressed digital copies of media is the ultimate solution. But no labels are going to allow this. Yes we can rip our movies with software, but it means we had to own a physical copy first. Defeats the purpose. Further, I don't believe that streaming 4K UHD across the interwebs has the quality of a physical disc.

Audio: Denon AVR-X3400H - Behringer NX6000D - miniDSP
Speakers: LCR: DIYSoundGroup Cobalt 8s | Surrounds: NHT SuperOnes | Atmos: Boston Acoustic SoundWare | Subs: Marty cube w/ Ultimax UM18 and (4) JBL CS1214s
Automation: Fire Cube - Harmony Hub- Insteon Plugs - Sensi Thermostat
Video Image: TCL 55r625 - Roku - nVidia Shield Pro 2019 - Xbox One X
post #10 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 5256
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photokid1970 View Post
Yeah... I said that when Blu-Ray came out. So many of those movies that I bought on Blu-Ray looked a bit clearer, but not THAT much - because they were old! I expected all Blu-Ray releases to be pristine, and we know that the final copy depends on the source material. So I have not re-purchased any 4K movies that I already own.

But then last night, my kid says "Hey dad, I've never seen Peter Pan or Robin Hood. Kids were talking about them at school. Can you get them?" So I got on ebay and searched. Looks like Disney released Peter Pan back in 2004 or so, then again about 10 years later. The more recent ones cost a couple of dollars more, so I figured that meant they might have upgraded the sound mix to include more recent formats? (I didn't take the time to research since it was an older Disney movie ya know.)

But now that makes me think - what if the 13th re-release of The Fifth Element had an upgraded Atmos soundtrack? That would be COOL. I'm slowly moving in the Atmos direction, and I could see me doing some re-purchases to get the upgraded sounds. So while I agree with what you said, I also think "Never say never"...
Very good point. In my case, I went from a 20 year old CRT TV and generic DVD player straight to a the 4K Ultra HD TV/Sound System I installed two years ago. At 55 years old, I'm hoping this will last me until it's time for the assisted living facility!

Spoiler!
post #11 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghart999 View Post
Having uncompressed digital copies of media is the ultimate solution.
Actually, video-wise it's still compressed. Just much less-so than streaming from an internet media service provider...
Jive Turkey likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
AMPS: 1No Audiolab 6000A, 3No Audiolab M-PWR | SPEAKERS: 2No KEF 103.2, 6No Wharfedale Diamond 10
post #12 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was thinking if there was a newer physical format it would be a USB flash drive. You'd buy a flash drive with the movie preinstalled on it.

Or maybe it would be a service in which you download (probably over several hours) an 8k video to a local hard drive. Is that how the Kaleidoscope home video service worked?

But I'm always wrong about these kind of things.
post #13 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
I was thinking if there was a newer physical format it would be a USB flash drive...
Discs are still way cheaper to manufacture than USB flash drives.

How much does a typical 128GB USB flash-drive cost? And such drives would require larger capacities in order to store say, a 120 minute 8K movie, even if the upcoming VVC (Versatile Video Coding) format was used...
meli and dfa973 like this.

post #14 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2415 Post(s)
Liked: 2046
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Actually, video-wise it's still compressed. Just much less-so than streaming from an internet media service provider...
It would be an interesting test to see if people can tell the difference between a 4K stream and 4K played from a UHD disc. This may be heresy but I would bet most could not.
post #15 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
It would be an interesting test to see if people can tell the difference between a 4K stream and 4K played from a UHD disc. This may be heresy but I would bet most could not.
The real question is not if they can tell the difference, but rather does the difference matter to them? I'm sure my wife can tell the difference on our Sony 75", but she would rather stream a good movie even when I've got the UHD disc lying on the equipment rack 4' away. It's just easier to click a remote.
Brian Hampton and Ralarcon like this.

Rex
post #16 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was wondering, if there is another new consumer physical format, if it would include 8k resolution, or would it stay 4k resolution but with less lossy compression than the current UHD disc format (and maybe other things like a wider color gamut).

Of course, I realize no one knows the answers to these questions, but it's fun to speculate.

Last edited by meli; 01-17-2019 at 02:34 PM.
post #17 of 159 Old 01-17-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you're viewing the same movie on a large screen, say 65" or greater, I suspect most people will notice various video encoding issues with streamed content compared to a 4K UHD disc. I know I do...

That being said, I notice various video encoding issues with 4K UHD disc content too

post #18 of 159 Old 01-18-2019, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Currently, most film and television content is completed at 2K, though 4K is rapidly becoming the standard. There's no plan for implementing 8K anytime soon. Older films shot on 35mm have somewhere between 3-4K of real detail in the original camera negative, depending on the film stock used, lighting, filters etc. So there's virtually no content an 8K video format could take advantage of, aside from a handful of films shot on 65mm and real IMAX.

Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to...
post #19 of 159 Old 01-18-2019, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Currently, most film and television content is completed at 2K, though 4K is rapidly becoming the standard. There's no plan for implementing 8K anytime soon. Older films shot on 35mm have somewhere between 3-4K of real detail in the original camera negative, depending on the film stock used, lighting, filters etc. So there's virtually no content an 8K video format could take advantage of, aside from a handful of films shot on 65mm and real IMAX.
So that would support the idea that, if there is a new physical format, it may still be 4k resolution but with less compression than the current UHD disc format. And it may include an increase of other specs, like a wider color gamut.
post #20 of 159 Old 01-19-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 1759
Quote:
I was thinking if there was a newer physical format it would be a USB flash drive. You'd buy a flash drive with the movie preinstalled on it.

Or maybe it would be a service in which you download (probably over several hours) an 8k video to a local hard drive. Is that how the Kaleidoscope home video service worked?

But I'm always wrong about these kind of things.
This is how Kaleidescape works.

I'm very confident that this is it for physical media.
meli likes this.
post #21 of 159 Old 01-19-2019, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
This is how Kaleidescape works.

I'm very confident that this is it for physical media.
Since the release of UHD Blu-ray discs, I always assumed this would be the last physical media format. But on a different website, everyone was talking like they assumed there would be a newer disc based format.

My friends make fun of me for having a Netflix disc subscription, and I'm the only person I know who buys UHD discs. Both examples are anecdotal, but I assumed there would not be enough public interest to support a new physical format that would require buying a new player. But maybe I'm wrong.
post #22 of 159 Old 01-20-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 1759
Quote:
Since the release of UHD Blu-ray discs, I always assumed this would be the last physical media format. But on a different website, everyone was talking like they assumed there would be a newer disc based format.

My friends make fun of me for having a Netflix disc subscription, and I'm the only person I know who buys UHD discs. Both examples are anecdotal, but I assumed there would not be enough public interest to support a new physical format that would require buying a new player. But maybe I'm wrong.
If a film I enjoy and will likely watch again or any of my old favorites come out on UHD BD I'd be a fool not to buy it on UHD disc. This might not be the best the title will ever look and sound but I'm afraid that it could be so.

Art
post #23 of 159 Old 01-20-2019, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
If a film I enjoy and will likely watch again or any of my old favorites come out on UHD BD I'd be a fool not to buy it on UHD disc. This might not be the best the title will ever look and sound but I'm afraid that it could be so.

Art
That's pretty much how I feel. Even a movie that I don't care much about, like "Skyscraper", if the UHD gets around $10 I'll buy it.

Someday almost every movie ever made will be available to download or stream at a quality better than UHD discs, but I'll probably be dead by then. Or my vision will be so bad, everything will look like a VHS.

I bet when I do die, my kids will just throw out all my UHD discs and my OPPO players. Maybe I should put post-it notes on my Oppo players saying "E-bay This"
dfa973 likes this.
post #24 of 159 Old 01-20-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 647
If we realistically expect 8K/VR/HFR content in the next 10 years, then there will most definitely be another physical format. As a gamer, I'd like to think that the push for 48Gbpst exists solely for my desire for higher frame rates, etc., but I know full well that gaming is not the sole driving force behind the 48Gbps push.
meli likes this.
post #25 of 159 Old 01-20-2019, 11:22 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Discs are still way cheaper to manufacture than USB flash drives.

How much does a typical 128GB USB flash-drive cost? And such drives would require larger capacities in order to store say, a 120 minute 8K movie, even if the upcoming VVC (Versatile Video Coding) format was used...

Correct.

Never say never, but for the meaningful future, optical discs will be the lowest cost mass storage media for retail sale of audio/video recordings.

There is a LONG way to go re: optical disc storage capacity to handle 8K (Or higher) video formats.

First, BluRay may be able to handle more layers, currently at 33GB/layer for UHD discs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray
"Triple-layer discs (100 GB) and quadruple-layer discs (128 GB) are available for BD-XL re-writer drives"

Most 1080p BD discs were 25GB/layer single or dual layer.

Second, there are plans for even higher density optical disc tech

1TB per disc: Sony and Panasonic team up on next-gen Blu-ray
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...xt-gen-blu-ray

Next-gen optical disc has 10TB capacity and six-century lifespan
http://www.kurzweilai.net/next-gen-o...ntury-lifespan

Molecular/holographic "optical" disc has already been sent to space for human archival purposes

SpaceX Hid a Second, Secret Payload Aboard Falcon Heavy, And It Sounds Amazing
https://www.sciencealert.com/spacex-...ars-tesla-arch

Arch is the company behind this new optical disc tech
https://archmission.org/

Third, the HDMI road-map shows that HDMI 2.1 supports 8K 4:4:4 color sampling at 12 and 16 bits/pixels (vs 10 bits/ pixels for all current UHD discs) and 60 or 120Hz framerates, up to 127Gbps datarates (try that on throttled connections)

(see tables, scroll down)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

With ongoing Net Neutrality and data cap/throttling issues, I think there's room for at least *one more* disc format- 8K 4:4:4 16 bit/pixel @60/120Hz

That said- been buying up all the UHD discs that interest me
3D disc sets, too...

I'll take almost any 4K UHD disc set that equates to ~$5/disc.
meli, Salty01 and Ben23 like this.

Last edited by Rgb; 01-22-2019 at 07:17 AM.
post #26 of 159 Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

At worst, video buffs will return to the 80's-90's pre-DVD days when we were enough to support a niche format
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaserDisc

and most LD's were produced with the collector/buff in mind.

In the long run, physical video media will probably be analogous to how 2ch vinyl/CD/SACD collectors value and curate their media
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2...ening-now.html

I still collect CD's & vinyl, lots appearing at thrift/yard sales for almost free. I consider it akin to stamp collecting, but also motivated by the analog sound (vinyl) and lossless digital quality for less cost than the Tidals of the world (CD/SACD/BD audio)

Yes, well curated collections and well maintained disc rarities/OOP titles will always have interested buyers and appear someday on Antiques Roadshow

Lots of money/enjoyment to be had in rare books, for example (vs Kindle/PDF's)
https://www.rarebooklink.com/
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b06b9cb9192bb3

Retail disc media is already relegated to mom & pop indie stores- a Good Thing IMO
https://dearbornmusic.net/
Ben23 and Panson like this.

Last edited by Rgb; 01-23-2019 at 09:46 AM.
post #27 of 159 Old 01-23-2019, 09:51 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

...and of course there is the ownership (physical media) vs rent/lease model (streaming/downloads).

Plus, moving forwards, if streaming/downloads replace physical media, AV-philes will never be assured of the codec, bitrate, lossy vs lossless availability (Audio), resolution, artifacts, etc from one day to the next, i.e. can change on the whim of the provider.

With physical media, these are locked onto the media and not changeable by the IP owner after sale- same goes for arbitrary edits/censoring (Han shoots first, ET flashlights vs guns, vintage WB and Tex Avery toons, etc) and any other content deemed non-PC moving forwards.
meli and Panson like this.

Last edited by Rgb; 01-23-2019 at 10:20 AM.
post #28 of 159 Old 01-23-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked: 2064
No matter. The Marvel influence.

As Rgb suggested, my physical media bunker is well-stocked without them.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #29 of 159 Old 01-23-2019, 04:07 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
No matter. The Marvel influence.

As Rgb suggested, my physical media bunker is well-stocked without them.

Yes, us Shiny Disc Preppers will laugh as the hoards plead to see our formidable film collections of rare cuts and director commentaries, uber multi disc sets and complete SuperBit DVD collections, clawing up the sides of the streaming Walled gardens like culture starved zombies from World War Z
blue 72, Ben23 and Panson like this.

Last edited by Rgb; 01-23-2019 at 04:18 PM.
post #30 of 159 Old 01-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

All that said, don't hold out for some next disc format- 4K UHD discs are awesome on the tech specs, and with each succeeding format (DVD>BD>UHD>???) fewer catalog titles are published to the new format, especially rare/niche films and docs.
meli likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page