18Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 01-31-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Apollo 11

The 4K youtube trailer looks fantastic and I would think after it makes the run in theaters it should be out on UHD blu-ray.

Quote:
From director Todd Douglas Miller (Dinosaur 13) comes a cinematic event fifty years in the making. Crafted from a newly discovered trove of 65mm footage, and more than 11,000 hours of uncatalogued audio recordings, Apollo 11 takes us straight to the heart of NASA’s most celebrated mission—the one that first put men on the moon, and forever made Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin into household names. Immersed in the perspectives of the astronauts, the team in Mission Control, and the millions of spectators on the ground, we vividly experience those momentous days and hours in 1969 when humankind took a giant leap into the future. Coming Soon To Theaters.
Squirrel! likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-31-2019, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
“Apollo 11” has touched down, so to speak, at Sundance, and it’s a unique take on the historic Apollo 11 mission: For starters, Todd Douglas Miller’s Documentary Competition feature brings pristine hi-res color and previously unreleased audio to replace the blurry TV transmissions we recall from NASA’s 1969 first flight to the moon.

On its 50th anniversary, “Apollo 11” revels in a historic moment, bringing vivid life to that famed 1969 mission, which completed the national goal set by President John F. Kennedy: Perform a crewed lunar landing and return back to earth.

The film is a wonderful technical achievement, and viewers unaware of this monumental event in American history will get a sense of just how amazing it really was.

The film commences with crisp, pristine footage of the rollout of Apollo 11’s massive Saturn V rocket being transported to the launch pad on a massive crawler transporter at Kennedy Space Center. Scenes of astronauts Neil Armstrong, Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin and Michael Collins being suited up for the mission follow, taking their seats on launch day 320 feet above terra firma, as mechanics tighten bolts around a leaky valve.

Another interesting aspect of the film is the history of the footage, which is primarily a showcase of unseen Panasonic 70mm footage. Miller discovered this widescreen mother lode of reels at NASA, which is what led to the creation of the documentary. The footage was originally shot by filmmaker Francis Thompson, working with MGM Studios to make a picture about the Apollo program. However, when MGM backed out just weeks before the launch, NASA decided to continue shooting with the same large-format film, presumably for public relations purposes.

Billing itself as “50 years in the making,” this documentary offers scene after scene of new, pristine footage, vignettes from the mission that offers a direct cinematic experience, effectively traveling in real time to the lunar surface alongside mission commander Neil Armstrong, lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin, and command module pilot Michael Collins.

Highlights include thunderous footage of the Apollo 11 launch—an unfathomable 7.6 million pounds of thrust igniting to push 6.5 million pounds of weight up toward the sky; a powered descent to the surface of the moon that runs longer than planned due to Armstrong’s last-minute maneuver to avoid crashing into a football-field-sized crater; and, dialog from the astronauts as they arrive in moon orbit, as giddy as schoolboys as they marvel over the scarred lunar surface.

Meanwhile, you’ll discover the winner of the lowest heart rate during the thunderous launch at Cape Canaveral. (Spoiler alert: it goes to Buzz Aldrin, with a remarkably chilled rate of 88 beats per minute.)

An impressive score provides a sense of immediacy throughout, while no cliché documentary tropes insight to break the spell.
https://www.hdvideopro.com/blog/apollo-11-has-landed/

https://gizmodo.com/stunning-trailer...e-s-1832132176

Last edited by jogiba; 01-31-2019 at 01:13 PM.
post #3 of 33 Old 01-31-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1198 Post(s)
Liked: 1637
Thanks for the heads up too cool. Nice when asked how he felt about the flight of Apollo 11 Armstrong had an answer unlike First Man where he does an autistic head dip.
Cam Man and jogiba like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 03-09-2019, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Saw this in IMAX. One of my favorite films as of late for sure. Just incredible.

I really hope it comes to UHD.
post #5 of 33 Old 04-01-2019, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Well it was announced for Blu-Ray yesterday, nothing about 4K release yet, which is pretty disappointing. I will be getting this anyway, it's amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Blu-ra...s%2C150&sr=8-4
post #6 of 33 Old 04-02-2019, 07:04 AM

post #7 of 33 Old 04-02-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
UHD not looking good, hope I'm wrong.

If Bluray looks as good on your stack as it does on my Chadb calibrated JVC, I wouldn't be too concerned.

I've been very pleased how good bluray looks upscaled to 4k'ish on my Panny 820 to a JVC RS540.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #8 of 33 Old 04-03-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
If Bluray looks as good on your stack as it does on my Chadb calibrated JVC, I wouldn't be too concerned.

I've been very pleased how good bluray looks upscaled to 4k'ish on my Panny 820 to a JVC RS540.
They don't , some upscaled BDs look real good but not in comparison to 4K.

Art
post #9 of 33 Old 04-04-2019, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Hollywood logic: 3.4K source, 2K DI, UHD Blu-ray; 65MM source, 4K DI, 1080p Blu-ray.

post #10 of 33 Old 04-04-2019, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Well, it's an indie film, so perhaps the UHD authoring tools are just too expensive still. And by tools, I mean the proper tools, not the consumer level tools you get with stuff like Vegas and such.
post #11 of 33 Old 04-07-2019, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
At the moment it has only been announced in regular blu-ray, correct?
post #12 of 33 Old 04-08-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosajThing View Post
At the moment it has only been announced in regular blu-ray, correct?
Correct and looking like that will be it.

Art
post #13 of 33 Old 04-08-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Correct and looking like that will be it.

Art
Since the DI is 4K, maybe we'll get lucky and at least get streamed UHD. That said, I've yet to even try to stream a UHD title, although I'm gonna try the new Spiderman and Aquaman via Vudu since I don't care to own them.

If not available in UHD, I'll definately be buying the BD.

I agree on First Man.
post #14 of 33 Old 04-10-2019, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I talked to the producer and pleaded for it on 4K BR and he said they wanted to do it. The Bits also indicated that the decision to do 4K might depend on how well it sells on disc....

Sad to see it on just 1080p so far. It's an amazing movie, and I was glad I at least got to see it in 4K in the cinema.

Here's hoping they / someone makes it happen
Cam Man likes this.

Rob
PT-AE8000U | LG 55C7P | Oppo UDP-203 | Onkyo TX-NR636 | JBL 5.1
post #15 of 33 Old 04-11-2019, 07:51 AM

I'm going to buy the Blu Ray but it's really sad that I and others must buy it twice to get the UHD maybe.

Art
nathanddrews and AaronMK like this.
post #16 of 33 Old 04-11-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Count me in. I'll serve my country's legacy by double-dipping!

Spoiler!
Art Sonneborn likes this.
post #17 of 33 Old 05-14-2019, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Apollo 11

Has anyone had a chance to watch this on blu ray yet?
post #18 of 33 Old 05-14-2019, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 2977
post #19 of 33 Old 05-14-2019, 04:53 PM

Just got my copy but will not have time until Thursday evening.

Art
post #20 of 33 Old 05-20-2019, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Just got my copy but will not have time until Thursday evening.

Art

Did you watch it yet?
post #21 of 33 Old 05-21-2019, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3882 Post(s)
Liked: 2904
Does this movie have an aspect ratio of 2.20:1 throughout, or does it vary depending on the footage being shown?

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #22 of 33 Old 05-21-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJackson View Post
Did you watch it yet?

Yes, I did. The colors and clarity of certain parts such as low angle views of the Saturn V are incredible. There is one place were there is a medium shot of only the fins , engine fairings and the five F1s firing that is nearly surreal in it's impact. The images of Armstrong and Aldrin during the suit up you can see the weight of the world ,almost literally, on their faces. There is some minor ringing in the image that is visible in the fine text used to indicate mission elapsed time, remaining fuel alarms etc. I've watched it through three times but I'm a manned space nut. It is good but ,as a film, I liked For all Mankind better.

I believe that it is 2.0 throughout.

Art
Jive Turkey likes this.

Last edited by Art Sonneborn; 05-21-2019 at 11:09 AM.
post #23 of 33 Old 05-25-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 2849
Apollo 11 will be running on CNN on June 23rd. Maybe the exposure will sell a few more copies of the discs ? I'm buying the blu-ray disc for my father for Father's Day.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #24 of 33 Old 05-27-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I watched this last night. Anyone who has any interest in knowing how three men got to the moon and back would find this fascinating. It is incredible to think about 1) how many things had to be done and done perfectly to get there and back, and 2) how many days the astronauts were just sitting in this extremely tiny capsule going back and forth.

Incredible.

SMK
post #25 of 33 Old 05-27-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
It is incredible to think about 1) how many things had to be done and done perfectly to get there and back, and 2) how many days the astronauts were just sitting in this extremely tiny capsule going back and forth.

Incredible.

SMK
Yea, so true the nearly 400,000 people who worked on it so many making unbelievable sacrifices to make things happen. Interestingly ,the internal volume of the CM was almost double for each man than Gemini or Mercury. Poor Boreman and Lovell who where in Gemini for two weeks !

Art
Jive Turkey likes this.
post #26 of 33 Old 05-30-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally got to sit down and screen this last night. I was quite impressed with the filmmaking aspect. Front loading the pre-launch events by utilizing so much footage I've never seen was fascinating. It successfully created a feeling of what is was like culturally to experience this as it was happening. It carries you with it...or within it. I was amazed at how much shooting was done of everything surrounding this event whether NASA, contractors, press/cameras and crews, and spectators. I loved all this new depth of detail behind the scenes and surrounding it.

I really enjoyed seeing all the backup astronauts and technicians in Mission Control. I was struck at how ruggedly handsome Jim Lovell was. Tom Hanks can't even come close.

I've often wondered who manned the documenting special cameras that capture the launch and assent. The skill of the compositions and simple but elegant camera moves (simple pans or tilts) of the 65mm shots indicate a skilled operator(s). In one shot the operator manning a special camera rig is wearing a pocket pen holder device that reveals his union affiliation, IATSE 666, which was the camera local of that region in that time. There were three camera local regions back in that day. 659 was western states, 666 was central and Florida, and there was another for NY/east coast, IIRC. I was at one time in both 659 as an operator and 666 as a director of photography. 666 forced me to join their local in 1995 as a director of photography because I had been in their region twice that year shooting The Tuskegee Airmen and Twister, and was a about to return for a third time to shoot second unit for A Time to Kill in Mississippi. I had to pay their $7K DP initiation fee. A year later the three locals merged to become 600. Bad timing for me and that initiation fee.

I enjoyed seeing Gene Kranz numerous times. I met him unexpectedly when we were in Iowa making Twister. On a Sunday, several of us went to the Des Moines air show that was underway. The same B-17 was there that I had been in earlier in the year on The Tuskegee Airmen. As we were admiring it, we come upon Mr. Kranz who was there as the volunteer flight engineer on that B-17. We chatted a while about...everything we could think of. Of course, Apollo 13 was about to release in a couple of weeks, so the importance of meeting Mr. Kranz was soon to make a greater impression. The next day on location I was telling Bill Paxton about meeting Mr. Kranz, and he was quite jazzed up about Apollo 13 about to release, so he was very interested to hear this.

I concur with all of you that the 65mm footage was stunning eye candy!

You guys all know me as a camera guy, but prior to that I served as a fighter pilot. Due to this, I was particularly impressed to experience the powered descent of the LEM in real-time and with the fuel remaining time and altitude read-out. I had no idea the actual temporal perspective; how long this took (or how quickly), and the flight profile of the descent. Notice that when begun the altitude is way up in the 30K region and the rate of descent is mild. I start looking at that altitude and fuel remaining and was shocked. Descent is mild until about 1.5 minutes of fuel remaining and altitude still around 25K. I'm going, "Holy s***, this is going to get exciting!" At about that point, the rate of descent increased incredibly...dropping like a rock down to below 10K feet, then shallows a bit until helicopter approach and landing profile below 100'. Amazing. Can you imagine being an airliner at 30000' and landing 1.5 minutes later. A fighter would be challenged to make that happen so quickly. I could be done but it would have to be with a flame out profile. Edit: I've learned, thanks to Art in post #28 that this is not real-time; much compressed. The real-time version in in the video he posts.

@Art Sonneborn , thanks for the tip on For All Mankind. I don't think I've ever seen it.

Last edited by Cam Man; 05-30-2019 at 06:53 PM.
post #27 of 33 Old 05-30-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I want to give you guys some perspective on that LEM powered descent. Below is a video of an F-16 flying a Simulated Flameout (SFO) profile. It is designed to enable the aircraft to land without power if it can reach any of three profile points, each with specific altitude, airspeed, and configuration parameters: High Key=about 8000' AGL over the runway, Low Key=basically a high fast downwind abeam the touchdown point, and Base Key=base leg. Each of those has very specific altitude and airspeed windows to meet...or you don't make the runway.

Altitude is on the right side of the HUD, airspeed on the left. The goal is to reach final approach with a -10 degree glide angle to the runway at about 40 knots over final speed (although we are far more concerned about AoA at that time). AoA is the the "bracket" that you see at around 8 o'clock from the flight path marker (FPM). In this video, the final is too steep, but the pilot corrects well. Ideally the FPM should on the runway at -10 to -12 degrees in the HUD on roll-out. These windows (High Key, Low Key, Base Key, and final roll-out) assure enough "energy" to make the runway with gear down. This profile is essentially a scaled down Space Shuttle landing profile. Routine training and skill required of F-16 drivers. Screw the pooch and you have to take the "silk elevator"...or don't survive.

Look how long this takes...compared to the LEM descent! BTW, the loud sound at about 15 seconds into this is the gear being lowered at High Key.

Edit: If you want a very thorough education of F-16 normal and flameout landings, I found this excellent piece. http://www.185th.co.uk/files/Trainin...g_Tutorial.pdf

Last edited by Cam Man; 05-30-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #28 of 33 Old 05-30-2019, 03:37 PM

Cam Man,
Just started training for private pilot license. School forever than raising six children, no time till now. Almost all of this is totally over my head yet interesting. The final approach of Apollo 11 full audio is out there some place. When Armstrong takes the LM and flies it horizontally to find a smooth spot (something that was never done in simulation) listen to Aldrin's comment..just incredibly calm and business like "ah you're pegged on horizontal velocity " !

You might find this interesting , begins at powered decent initiation

Jive Turkey and yamato72 like this.
post #29 of 33 Old 05-30-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Holy crap, Art, that was amazing. I think I had as much fun watching that as the movie! My apologies to all for presuming that the movie's elapsed time was real-time. Obviously, it's highly compressed. I'll have to edit my commentary on that.

I can follow to a great extent what is happening there. The comment by Aldrin about horizontal velocity being maxed out refers to the balancing act that had to be used. Shift pitch too far forward and there is not enough vertical thrust component, therefore they would begin to descend. Not good. It was mentioned that Armstrong could adjust rate of descent a bit by modulating thrust. There is a cost to the fuel with that. Hence a maximum "balance" of those two factors established maximum horizontal velocity.

I find it amazing how they improvised these various means of "flying" that thing. Today a HUD would be in use, but such didn't yet exist probably because processor power/speed for the Air Data Computer and INS (inertial nav system) was not yet reliable/dependable.

It is terrific that you are tackling your private pilot! I'll be your cheerleader. If there's anything I can help you understand along the way that has you stumped, feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to help.
Jive Turkey likes this.

Last edited by Cam Man; 05-30-2019 at 06:55 PM.
post #30 of 33 Old 06-01-2019, 01:35 PM

Thanks, I will likely take you up on it. This mornings lesson went better. Ground reference maneuvers, very patient CFI today. No amount of reading and watching videos replaces getting in the aircraft and flying.

Art
Cam Man likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page