Best Buy seems to be cutting Blu-Rays and DVDs... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By PooperScooper
  • 1 Post By Art Sonneborn
  • 1 Post By Jonas2

post #1 of 16 Old 03-15-2019, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Best Buy seems to be cutting Blu-Rays and DVDs...

Went to my local Best Buy in Honolulu. I was shocked to see that their movie aisle was downsized by 50%! Their movie inventory is so small now. Nearly 40% of the movies were UHD discs. This is getting pretty serious. So many people are opting for streaming and are accepting the poor video and audio quality compared to physical media.

With Samsung dropping all players, it appears the writing is on the wall.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-16-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Went to my local Best Buy in Honolulu. I was shocked to see that their movie aisle was downsized by 50%! Their movie inventory is so small now. Nearly 40% of the movies were UHD discs. This is getting pretty serious. So many people are opting for streaming and are accepting the poor video and audio quality compared to physical media.

This isn't your imagination some have eliminated the physical media others are just putting out new releases on end caps etc. Sounds like chicken little but the end is near.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-17-2019, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 12219
Who goes to B&M stores to buy music or movies?
unretarded and chili555 like this.

You've had too much to think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-17-2019, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 1613
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Not me but if they were selling and making money they would be out on display trust me.

Art
PooperScooper likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-17-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 802
It's worse here in Ontario Canada. The Buffalo NY stores are still far superior to what we get, but it's down more like aisles are cut over 50% there too.

And I can't even source some 4K titles here which simply means a monthly road trip is in order.

I am getting to the point where I don't feel it's even worth my time to swing by the local Best Buy's on my drive home from work, which amounts to a 2
minute detour.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-17-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
It's worse here in Ontario Canada. The Buffalo NY stores are still far superior to what we get, but it's down more like aisles are cut over 50% there too.

And I can't even source some 4K titles here which simply means a monthly road trip is in order.

I am getting to the point where I don't feel it's even worth my time to swing by the local Best Buy's on my drive home from work, which amounts to a 2
minute detour.
Yep, was gonna say basically the same thing. Whatever is happening in the US, has happened like 2-3 years ago in Canada. For example, all Canadian Best Buys that had the renovations done in the past couple years have completely eliminated the normal media section--CD, BDs, etc. all gone now. All they have left is a small rack for recent-release BDs/UHD-BDs and that's about it. Prices are steep too.

There's Sunrise but the prices are pretty high there as well, so online is the best route. Walmarts after renos are having the same thing--physical media section is being cut down big time. It's honestly the beginning of the end for it. Sunrise probably won't last another year in retail before going under and Walmart and Best Buy will probably eventually eliminate their sections altogether.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-17-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked: 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I do, and will keep doing so as long as they keep selling them (when the price is reasonable, and willing to match the likes of Amazon....).

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #8 of 16 Old 03-17-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1686 Post(s)
Liked: 2068
Online disk sales are thriving...…..

Funny how people are okay with having to demand price matching from a store, the premis is we will get all we can and if you call us on it, we will match fair market price. Sounds like a great place to do business with......

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #9 of 16 Old 03-17-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked: 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Online disk sales are thriving...…..

Funny how people are okay with having to demand price matching from a store, the premis is we will get all we can and if you call us on it, we will match fair market price. Sounds like a great place to do business with......

Well, let's just say Fry's Electronics (not sure I'd call them B&M but......) doesn't exactly charge fair market price on a lot of their disks - they can be exorbitant! So, yeah - when they advertise how they will match internet prices, I will take them up on it! I guess they'll take what they can get though from the local, and abundantly wealthy tech. crowd here in Sillycone Valley.... Can't blame 'em for tryin'!
unretarded likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #10 of 16 Old 03-17-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 802
I know Best Buy is chasing profits, but I often wonder if they realise just how much they are losing from a customer such as myself, on a yearly basis, if I cess
to walk into their stores? $15-35 rings might not be sexy from a retailer point of view, when compared to a big ticket item, but on a weekly basis, that can add
up fast. It also eliminates me grabbing gear on a whim.

They also drop the ball with the local stores having a lot of media without pricing displayed.

The US based Best Buy I do go into, are substantially superior to what the Ontario stores currently are.

I can see why online disk sales are thriving, the local stores are pushing me in that direction...
post #11 of 16 Old 03-17-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I do, and will keep doing so as long as they keep selling them...
Which will probably only be another 4-5 years, tops. Over here (Canada) I give it only about 2 more years tops. It's not something I want to see happen, not at all, but it's the reality.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-17-2019, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 165
My local BB, which is a 3/4 store, has very few dvd's...they carry the current movies out but then it's hit and miss.
I suspect they just don't make the money on them trying to compete with online stores such as Amazon, etc.
I recently bought the first two Harry Potter movies in BD at BB for $15 and the steel book of Jurassic World:Fallen Kingdom for $12...wow
I guess it's what they get deals on?
It's also much easier to sit here in my pj's and browse the Amazon store than it is to walk around the store looking for the little bins they now use...they are all over and you have to search in my store...gets annoying

TV: Samsung 60KS8000, AVR: Marantz SR5011, Speakers: front/Paradigm Prestige 15B bookshelf, center/Paradigm Prestige 45C, surround/Paradigm Atom, sub/SVS SB3000, DVD: LG UBK 90 UHD DVD Player, Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home
post #13 of 16 Old 03-18-2019, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 500
The other problem is amazon doesn't have all discs available. They keep picking fights with Disney and other companies and making it impossible to buy except through third parties.

Only with best buy you can order it online or get it in store same day whenever amazon decides they don't want to carry a studio.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-21-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
The other problem is amazon doesn't have all discs available. They keep picking fights with Disney and other companies and making it impossible to buy except through third parties.

Only with best buy you can order it online or get it in store same day whenever amazon decides they don't want to carry a studio.
I agree with this, I keep buying more new releases from BB on-line, because Amazon is not getting the movie or not on release day.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-21-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 388
My problem is that Amazon orders take awhile. It's a hit or miss, but when I order a movie, it usually takes a week for the order to process and another week before I get it in Hawaii. By then, the movie would have been in the stores for two weeks. The fastest I have gotten a movie from Amazon is a week after ordering. I recently ordered a Criterion movie (The complete Zatoichi series) from Amazon. It took three weeks before they shipped it and another before I got it.

Occasionally, the disc has obviously been dislodged from the snap clip in the slipcase. You can here it sliding inside. When I open it, the playing surface is all scratched up. When I go to a store, I make sure that there is nothing loose in the package.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #16 of 16 Old 03-21-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

Im down in Texas and its kind of the same way, they have the new release kiosk near the door and then 1 aisle with movies and tv shows. We lost our GOOD store. Hastings, about 4 years ago, I have spent thousands in that store over the year. You could wander the aisles and find movies you would never find on something like Amazon. Granted the movies ARE on Amazon, however unless your looking for them you will never find them, I would NEVER have searched for a movie called Hobo with a Shotgun, but I stumbled upon it at Hastings and its a great flick. There are literally hundreds of movies in my collection like that. Something I didn't know I wanted until I ran across it. You can't run across random movies on Amazon unless you want to click through 15,000 pages where half the stuff either isn't a movie in the first place or you have 6 items that are all the same thing. It's that not being able to stumble onto a random movie that hurts me the most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page