Is 4K physical media dead? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #31 of 56 Old 06-05-2019, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 1634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Looking through my collection I would recommend these to anyone. Are they all great? We could argue all day about that be they would hold up with movies of any era. I have more but you get the picture. Plus was the percentage of great films more or is selective memory taking hold? PS I was borne in 1959 so I've also been watching for a few years.

Blade Runner 2049
The Big Short
Boyhood
Blue Valentine
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Wolf of Wall Street
The Dark Knight
12 Years a Slave
Manchester by the Sea
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Dunkirk
Baby Driver
Skyfall
Edge of Tomorrow
Inglorious Basterds
Life of Pi
Gravity
Gone Girl
Interstellar
Deadpool I &II
You got me, a subjective appraisal there are a few rewatches on that list for me.

Art
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 06-06-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
It's a big job 4K UHD has, playing catch-up. I didn't think they'd bother with most of the stuff they've issued so far. I thought DVD or BD was good enough for most of those, unless they were technically butchered the first or second time around. I haven't waited for 4K UHD catch-up to hit my favorites. I'm buying them in the best version that exists, and is available for a reasonable price. My playback and display equipment do a great job of upscaling.

Action heroes alone are enough evidence for the continuation of niche market 4K UHD. They don't have to be good, but they must be loud.

4K UHD will eventually get to more "artistic" films, if the small restorers with big prices don't get to them first. That's one of my concerns for buying now.

Then further along at AVS, there'll be a thread called, "Is 8K physical media dead?"

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #33 of 56 Old 06-06-2019, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I'm not sure if 4K UHD Blu-Ray's will ever become mainstream but I think they will continue to have a niche market. Hopefully cost's continue to be low.

Whether it's right or wrong, streaming will slowly take over, even for 4K, but the problem is they often do stripped down over-compressed versions that probably won't even look as good as a good Blu-Ray.
Art Sonneborn likes this.

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 56 Old 06-13-2019, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Will 4k movies only be streamable at some point?
post #35 of 56 Old 06-14-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2312 Post(s)
Liked: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound2017 View Post
Will 4k movies only be streamable at some point?
Here is probably the reason: streaming there is no royalty for using the HEVC (h265) codec but there a royalty when used on a UHD Blu-ray. The MPEG-LA has been criticized heavily by the industry for such a confusing royalty plan.
Actionable Mango likes this.
post #36 of 56 Old 06-14-2019, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez23 View Post
Other than new releases it seems as if only a handful of older titles get released in 4K physical media each month. How many are true 4K ports is a different topic and I understand not every title was shot in 4K but the 4K title “boom” is not taking off as fast as the “blu-Ray HD” boom where the number of titles in the library is concerned.
I don't think that the Blu-ray market boomed in the way this question pre-supposes. I lived through the transition to blu-ray and it was quite sometime from the introduction of blu-ray until it became common to find them in stores. Netflix and Blockbuster were definitely late to the party when it came to blu-ray rentals.
nathanddrews likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
post #37 of 56 Old 06-14-2019, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Not really - blockbuster went Blu-Ray during the war, which meant they stocked them during the early days of HD discs.

The war was around 2006-2007, with it being declared over by January 2008 when HD-DVD threw in the towel during CES. Many companies had pledged allegiances by early 2007 or so, and I could definitely buy both in stores during 2007. The problem was the Blu-Ray tools were still terrible, and there were a ton of crap releases where the DVD was the better bet. Yes, there were Blu-rays where the DVD had better picture quality. Never mind if you were a extras junkie - most Blu-rays of the era were movie only while the DVD had all the extras. And this was before they tossed the DVD in with the Blu-Ray (since the factories were so different, you needed to assemble them afterwards since the Blu-rays were made in factories that did Blu-Ray only, while DVDs were made at DVD factories).

It took maybe 2009 or so when dual layer Blu-rays became super common and started using h.264 so there was space for extras and stuff. And by then things really took off release wise.
post #38 of 56 Old 06-15-2019, 01:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 761
I have gone to streaming.

I have about 2000 discs but these days only stream most of the time. Ironically, never use my UHD discs because they all came with 4K streaming licenses.

I have plenty of hopes for things that would improve streaming thoough.

First of all TV series should be 4K. Maybe they already are but I have not been able to find them except for original series on Amazon Prime. (I just found out Netflix has plenty of Tv series in 4K... I don't use Netflix so sorry I missed that.)

Second, I would like to be able to download 4K which isn't an option yet. Being able to DL 4K would be very useful for reliable playback.

-Brian

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 06-15-2019 at 02:03 AM.
post #39 of 56 Old 06-17-2019, 02:24 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8970 Post(s)
Liked: 5752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
I don't think that the Blu-ray market boomed in the way this question pre-supposes. I lived through the transition to blu-ray and it was quite sometime from the introduction of blu-ray until it became common to find them in stores. Netflix and Blockbuster were definitely late to the party when it came to blu-ray rentals.
I thought Netflix got into BD rentals relatively early? I remember renting Blu-ray Discs and HD DVDs from them in 2007. And both those formats launched in 2006.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #40 of 56 Old 06-17-2019, 02:27 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I have gone to streaming.

I have about 2000 discs but these days only stream most of the time. Ironically, never use my UHD discs because they all came with 4K streaming licenses.

I have plenty of hopes for things that would improve streaming thoough.

First of all TV series should be 4K. Maybe they already are but I have not been able to find them except for original series on Amazon Prime. (I just found out Netflix has plenty of Tv series in 4K... I don't use Netflix so sorry I missed that.)

Second, I would like to be able to download 4K which isn't an option yet. Being able to DL 4K would be very useful for reliable playback.

-Brian
I steam mostly too. But I prefer to stream my UHD BD MKV rips instead of watching the Disc. And of course I still stream from the streaming services. But if I have the title I will stream it from my Plex server. Since the quality from the disc rip is identical to the disc. So both the audio and video are much better than what any of the streaming services have.

post #41 of 56 Old 06-18-2019, 06:53 AM

post #42 of 56 Old 06-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 87
This may seem more significant to some and less to others, but really as a movie lover I'm wondering when/if Criterion will break into 4K. I've always considered them to be the gold standard of sorts with movie releases. They seem to have no desire to break into the market, even though they've scanned numerous films at 4K.
post #43 of 56 Old 06-18-2019, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post
This may seem more significant to some and less to others, but really as a movie lover I'm wondering when/if Criterion will break into 4K. I've always considered them to be the gold standard of sorts with movie releases. They seem to have no desire to break into the market, even though they've scanned numerous films at 4K.
They actually have a streaming service now.

Media: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original) - Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: Hisense 55" 4K 55H8C / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #44 of 56 Old 06-18-2019, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 604 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3772 Post(s)
Liked: 3556
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksets View Post
I feel the same way about the scarcity of good new films. I wonder if it's just getting old or the quality really going down. Past a certain point you feel like you've seen it all. When I was a teenager I would get impressed by horror/slasher/vampire movies, intricate plots and reversals. Now I greet those with a yawn, hardly anything surprises me anymore and even if it does it seems contrived. What I find enduring is films about human relations/emotions/predicaments, those never get old for me even though they don't have the wow factor.

I don't know if it's my preferences getting narrower or the quality going down overall. I get the feeling there are too many remakes of old movies, copying of popular themes, recycling comics heroes and lack of fresh ideas overall. I'm interested to hear what younger people think of the recent crop of films.
Here's a couple for you to try that I've enjoyed recently as a 40 year old man who typically feels the same way you express (popular movies are typically pretty bad)

These are probably the newer films I've watched on disk this year that I thought were standout.
How to Train your Dragon 3 (animated)
SpiderMan Into the SpiderVerse (animated)
Free Solo (the Mount Everest solo climbing documentary)

There are some real stinkers released this year on disk too. Here are a couple duds IMO.
Mortal Engines
Transformers Bumblebee
and nearly anything in house developed for Amazon Prime or Netflix strikes me as B class material from the get go, and typically not worth watching.

--------

On Topic, no way 4K disks or physical media is dead in 5 years as another poster put it. It'll happen, but it won't happen yet. You'll probably see 8K disks released before Physical media leaves mainstream.
Streaming has a ways to go. Black Crush and shadow detail is still pretty awful on most services.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #45 of 56 Old 06-19-2019, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
They actually have a streaming service now.

True, but as far as I know they haven't streamed any titles at 4k.
post #46 of 56 Old 06-19-2019, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

post #47 of 56 Old 06-20-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 628
What the movei/TV industry really needs is a shakeup/disruption like GOG.com has done for games where the consumer truly owns the digital license, no DRM. Download it, copy it, whatever, it's yours. Granted, they haven't thrown Steam down from its lofty perch, but you gotta start somewhere. MoviesAnywhere is a giant leap forward, I believe, by consolidating MUCH of the content we purchase, no matter the studio. Now they just need an "offline copy" option. It might never happen, but no one expected GOG to be a thing either. Will it enable people to share content without paying for it? Probably, but we're talking about a revenue model that is "in addition to" conventional streaming. I think they could co-exist and I think many people would pay for the option. I know I would.
post #48 of 56 Old 06-20-2019, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4256 Post(s)
Liked: 2994
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I steam mostly too. But I prefer to stream my UHD BD MKV rips instead of watching the Disc. And of course I still stream from the streaming services. But if I have the title I will stream it from my Plex server. Since the quality from the disc rip is identical to the disc. So both the audio and video are much better than what any of the streaming services have.
What box do you have that can play back the Dolby Vision layer in the rips?
post #49 of 56 Old 06-21-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
What box do you have that can play back the Dolby Vision layer in the rips?
You can remux the DV stream into an MP4 container.
post #50 of 56 Old 06-21-2019, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4256 Post(s)
Liked: 2994
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
And play it on what device that will play it correctly from the file?
post #51 of 56 Old 06-22-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Streaming sure beats traditional network TV at 720p or 1080i, but it's a poor cousin to hard disc 4K UHD and even a good BD upscaled.

I'm glad different stuff's available for everyone, but I've made my choice. Streaming is supplemental to the real thing.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #52 of 56 Old 06-25-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 108
To the original poster:

I don't think its "dead" per se. But I do think studios are now more calculated in what they put out. And I can't blame them. I'm not buying catalog titles unless its something which I just have to add to my collection (for example, Blade Runner, 2001 Space Odyssey, etc).

If you need further evidence of this, I just got this email in my inbox today. Its from SONY Studios asking movie fans to select from a questionaire what movies they would like to see in the next batch of 4K releases from them.

I encourage everyone reading this, to take the survey and help them out. Otherwise they won't know what the public wants, and if it doesn't sell enough, they might eventually stop putting anything out in 4K.

Here's the 4K survey link (its super short btw): https://secure.sonypictures.com/movi...sphe/polls/4k/

Since I didn't see my favorite title listed, I added it to the box on the bottom of the survey and put in Lawrence of Arabia. Would love to get a 4K transfer and a special gift box set for it. *Crossing my fingers*
post #53 of 56 Old 06-25-2019, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post
To the original poster:

I don't think its "dead" per se. But I do think studios are now more calculated in what they put out. And I can't blame them. I'm not buying catalog titles unless its something which I just have to add to my collection (for example, Blade Runner, 2001 Space Odyssey, etc).*
I agree with you. I’ve been collecting since vhs days and I have rebought movies so many times that I only will buy my older favorites and the 4K movies I like — which seems to be very few. I stream a lot more so my physical Media “impulse” purchases are pretty low. I have 3 large Blu-ray racks full of disc and no intention of adding a 4th....I hope.
post #54 of 56 Old 06-26-2019, 07:07 AM

I have about 50 UHD discs and 75 films in 4K from Kaliedescape. Not many new films I want in 4K but many older films that may or may not ever see the light of day.
post #55 of 56 Old 06-27-2019, 01:40 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
But then you have to lose the lossless audio. If I had not sold my Oppo I would have an option to stream my UHD BD rips in DV. With full menus and lossless audio. But I sold it before I was ripping UHD BDs. And I only had an HDR10 TV back then.

I'll take my UHD MKV rips with HDR10 and lossless audio over the option with DV and only lossy audio.

But I'll typically watch DV titles from Disc and HDR10 titles streamed locally.

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-27-2019 at 01:44 PM.
post #56 of 56 Old 06-27-2019, 01:43 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Streaming sure beats traditional network TV at 720p or 1080i, but it's a poor cousin to hard disc 4K UHD and even a good BD upscaled.

I'm glad different stuff's available for everyone, but I've made my choice. Streaming is supplemental to the real thing.
That's why I like streaming locally. It looks and sounds the same as playing from the disc. At least with HDR10 anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page