AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Software (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/)
-   -   War of the Worlds (1953) UHD (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/3078338-war-worlds-1953-uhd.html)

nathanddrews 07-13-2019 04:59 PM

War of the Worlds (1953) UHD
 
This is on Vudu in UHD Dolby Vision and DD+ for $12... I haven't seen anything about a UHD disc release. Anyone know anything?

PooperScooper 07-14-2019 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanddrews (Post 58293258)
This is on Vudu in UHD Dolby Vision and DD+ for $12... I haven't seen anything about a UHD disc release. Anyone know anything?

Vudu has a sale on it. It's $24.99 ($7.99 rental) on Amazon Prime. It's on iTunes also. UHD version is a digital only release. No word on physical media.

Art Sonneborn 07-14-2019 02:50 PM

I have it UHD HDR version on Kaleidescape very nice looking title. Interestingly, the threads supporting the machines, visible on the DVD, have been removed.

Art

Mr.G 07-15-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanddrews (Post 58293258)
This is on Vudu in UHD Dolby Vision and DD+ for $12.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. :)

JazzGuyy 07-15-2019 05:00 PM

The HD version was shown on TCM last week and looked gorgeous. I assume this is the same transfer.

nathanddrews 07-17-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzGuyy (Post 58300490)
The HD version was shown on TCM last week and looked gorgeous. I assume this is the same transfer.

Not sure, but I can say that it looks really, really good!

Also - that opening title sequence was crazy bright/colorful. I'm not prone to seizures, but if I were...

tenthplanet 07-17-2019 02:41 PM

There is a decent HD version of this that Paramount never put out on Blu-ray, there was a period a few years back when Paramount and Lionsgate starting offering titles in HD but not on disc. They weren't bad movies but they were moving to blockbuster titles mainly for disc release. :(

tenthplanet 07-17-2019 03:37 PM

If you have the Movies ! channel/sub-channel on your OTA and/or cable system this will run on 7-27-19. I can't vouch for what the quality will be but you can't argue with the cost. Something tells me I'll pick the 4k version from the iTunes store eventually.

tenthplanet 09-02-2019 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthplanet (Post 58308866)
If you have the Movies ! channel/sub-channel on your OTA and/or cable system this will run on 7-27-19. I can't vouch for what the quality will be but you can't argue with the cost. Something tells me I'll pick the 4k version from the iTunes store eventually.

The recording came out OK, it's looks like the transfer was the one for TV that's made it's rounds for who knows how many years. The DVD looks better. Looks like I'll be investing in a digital copy.

gibson61 09-06-2019 11:07 AM

It has always bugged me that War of the Worlds never was on BD. I have the dvd of it and its not that good. For a classic great movie it should looked great. I am glad to hear that their are some good master 's of it. I have seen it a 100 times I bet but love it every time. Just a great story. To bad the new version did not live up to this one except for the effects. The tripods were killer and like the book but the story itself just was weak.

tenthplanet 09-06-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibson61 (Post 58522132)
It has always bugged me that War of the Worlds never was on BD. I have the dvd of it and its not that good. For a classic great movie it should looked great. I am glad to hear that their are some good master 's of it. I have seen it a 100 times I bet but love it every time. Just a great story. To bad the new version did not live up to this one except for the effects. The tripods were killer and like the book but the story itself just was weak.

I still hope someone will do the story, as H.G. Wells wrote it as a period piece set in England, complete with tripods and all that good stuff. :)

Josh Z 09-08-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthplanet (Post 58524408)
I still hope someone will do the story, as H.G. Wells wrote it as a period piece set in England, complete with tripods and all that good stuff. :)

The BBC has a miniseries in production that is supposed to do that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wa...ds_(miniseries)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.