Star Trek The Motion Picture 4K UHD on disc - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #61 of 78 Old 08-28-2019, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Yes, but the "physical" 1701 (with TOS superstructures in place) was destroyed on screen in ST3, so the 1701-A in ST4 onwards was a physically different ship (ie no parts from the TOS 1701) in the Prime Trek-verse.

But good point re: same real-world model

(Like the TMP Enterprise flyaround scene, issues like this meant something to long time Trek fans)

Last edited by Rgb; 10-21-2019 at 05:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 08-28-2019, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
I sat through this at the theater twice in a row just for the score! The opening theme and Enterprise are still at or near the top for me for all music, not just film scores, that I've ever experienced. This was actually one of the things which inspired me to build a home theater later. Not dating ,sat through it three times ultimately not giving a hoot because I was the only one to please.

Art
Already recognized as a Trek/space geek in grade school, I recall coralling several classmates to go to the mall cineplex to see it around the premiere, getting a classmate's mom to drive us there.

Sadly, by late 1979, the era of the single Big Screen movie houses was all but over- most of the free standing movie houses had chopped down their single big screen theater to 2 or more screens, so was forced to see TMP on a smaller screen in a smaller room/sound

The last films I saw in single big, wide screen stand alone theaters were Star Wars, Close Encounters and Superman. All were classic late-mid century Modern style, with one built as late as 1970 or so
shivaji likes this.
post #63 of 78 Old 08-28-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post
Yes, while you are correct from a lore perspective, the models used in the movies are identical between the refit and the -A. When Scotty laments that he doesn't want no bloody A-D to the computer, the Holodeck manifests the pre-refit Enterprise, not the TMP Enterprise.
I would imagine the computer was taking in the context of what was said and who was saying it.

The 1701 was refitted along with other Constitution class vessels still serving. The class name didn't change nor did the ships registry. 1701-A was simply a new ship built to the refit specifications. So really Scotty needed to say pre-refit to be accurate. But I'm guessing when he excluded the -A the computer was smart enough to realize the era he meant.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 78 Old 09-02-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Canna beat opening your new theater with Conquest of the Planet of the Apes!

Saw Disney fare like Apple Dumpling Gang, Pete's Dragon (1977) here, as well as Superman I/II, Jaws 2, and other flicks in this late mid century modern single screen house, opened 1972
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	westborn1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	2610196  
Otter0911 likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 10-22-2019 at 06:31 AM.
post #65 of 78 Old 09-02-2019, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

post #66 of 78 Old 09-02-2019, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

post #67 of 78 Old 09-03-2019, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Builder met and interviewed Paul Olsen

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Paul_Olsen
http://www.olsenart.com/strek.html

artist responsible for TMP 1701 refit's iridescent "Aztec" surface finish/paint job, the bane of all Trek modellers (well, me at least), due to its complexity.
jeahrens likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 09-12-2019 at 12:55 PM.
post #68 of 78 Old 10-07-2019, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Missed out on the petition drive ~2 years ago.

https://www.change.org/p/paramount-p...4k-restoration

Quote:
Star Trek fans deserve a complete frame by frame 8K restoration of all three versions of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, released in time for the film's 40th Anniversary!

The restoration work on the original series, The Next Generation, and The Wrath of Khan have left Trekkers hungry for more, and fans loyal to the original series throughout five decades need to have a definitive version of these characters' first trek onto the big screen.

What we'd love to see:

An 8K frame-by-frame restoration, ready for future formats, but distributed on 4K/UHD/ Blu-ray/DVD for for 2019 Holiday season featuring:

The 1979 Theatrical Release. Flaws and all, this was the first time the Enterprise was seen in cinemas. This version also has the fastest pacing.
The 1983 "Special Longer Version." Originally cut for television presentation, this edit represents for many of us the version we grew up with. Either through TV or with a prized VHS release, this one contains sound effects and scenes that no other version has.
The 2001 "Director's Edition." This might be the hardest one to pull off considering the new exterior shots were CGI, but rendered for DVD. Still, we have faith that the incredible restoration team who worked on the previous release of the Director's Edition could create new animation that both wows us in HD, and stays true to legendary director Robert Wise's vision!
A new featurette covering the restoration of this project and the differences between each version of The Motion Picture.
Any previously released home video extras, archived material, and featurettes, no matter how far back they go.
Any new unreleased material, including alternate takes, McDonald's promo commercials, any toy commercials, comic book, posters, novelization cover art, scans of the ViewMaster slides and Fotonovel, etc.
CBS Paramount: there's about two and a half years to make this so. Trekkers are willing to SPEND MONEY on this release, but only if you can make it the best you can.
post #69 of 78 Old 10-07-2019, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

post #70 of 78 Old 10-07-2019, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

post #71 of 78 Old 10-07-2019, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Old piece but new to me re: Twitter comments

https://www.trektoday.com/content/20...picture-in-4k/

Quote:
Forty years after the release of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, there is talk of a director’s cut in high-def.

During the Inglorious Treksperts panel at San Diego Comic Con, David Fein, producer of the 2001 Director’s Edition, told fans that talks were underway to create an all-new 4K Ultra HD presentation of Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Daren Dochterman, who was the visual effects supervisor for the 2001 Director’s Edition of Star Trek: The Motion picture, said this via his Twitter account: “At the #SDCC2019 @inglorioustrek panel it was revealed that @ParamountPics in talks with the TMP Director’s Edition team about bringing Robert Wise‘s final version of the film to 4K! Share the news and your support! #tmpde4k.”

In an interview after the panel with TrekMovie, Dochterman told them that Paramount had originally planned on a 40th anniversary re-release of the theatrical version. But in the last few months, there had been talks with Fein about making a 4K version instead. “The green light has not yet been given,” said Dochterman; “but it is a yellow light. We have been given permission to talk about it at San Diego Comic Con.”

Dochterman added “If it is going to happen within the next couple of months, we would definitely have a big announcement by the actual 40th-anniversary date [December 6].”

Source: TrekCorevia TrekMovie
post #72 of 78 Old 10-07-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

RETURN TO TOMORROW: REMEMBERING “STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE” ON ITS 35TH ANNIVERSARY

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/h...th-anniversary
post #73 of 78 Old 10-08-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
So I missed it ,is there a 4K STMP coming ?

Art
post #74 of 78 Old 10-12-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:

Art
Nothing confirmed - all speculation. Sounds more like new scans of TMP and re-doing the effects "in HD" for a re-release. You'd think the rumors would say "in 4K" if that was the goal. I'll be honest - I would accept all new 1080p releases if they were based on new scans and not molested like the current decalogy.
Art Sonneborn likes this.
post #75 of 78 Old 10-19-2019, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Canna beat opening your new theater with Conquest of the Planet of the Apes!

Saw Disney fare like Apple Dumpling Gang, Pete's Dragon (1977) here, as well as Superman I/II, Jaws 2, and other flicks in this late mid century modern single screen house, opened 1972
(June 30 1972 to be exact https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conque...et_of_the_Apes)

Loved the Westborn... Seen soo many great Movies there.
The Black Hole
Ghostbusters
Psycho II
List can go on and on!
Rgb likes this.
post #76 of 78 Old 10-21-2019, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Brief history of the Westborn

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/4425

Claims to have opened 7/12/72 vs 6/30/72

Quote:
The Westborn Theatre was built for ABC Theatres and opened July 12, 1972 as a 900 seat, single-screen movie house. In 1973 it was taken over by the Nicholas George chain. The Westborn Theatre was twinned in 1980 to plans by architect Louis Wiltse, with each auditorium seating 425.

In 1986, the theater was sold to the AMC chain, renamed it the AMC Westborn 2 and operated it as a discount house.

It was closed in the late-1990’s, when AMC shuttered many of its smaller and older theaters in the Detroit area.

Today, the former Westborn houses a tire store.
Heyday after it was twinned:

Building still there-

I have asked around for external and inside pics while it was still a single screen, especially inside the lobby and auditorium. Be nice to model a HT based on that early 70's look

Also saw Black Hole and Jaws II there while still a single screen, as well as Superman mentioned earlier. Part of the reason I built a dedicated HT.
Then saw Superman II there, when it was twinned, with high school girlfriend's family- That gf didn't work out, but HT hobby did

Black Hole and the first Star Wars were 2 films I recall my entire family (Mom, Dad and 5 of us kids) seeing together. Saw many other films with brothers, sisters, Dad, Mom on separate occasions, but only those plus the first Jurassic Park in 1993 the week it opened.

Hosted entire family + some many times since my first basement HT ~1999 (3 rows of 5 stadium seating)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	westborn_gandhi.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	2630350   Click image for larger version

Name:	now_belle_tire.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	2630352  
Otter0911 likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 10-21-2019 at 05:14 PM.
post #77 of 78 Old 10-21-2019, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Just lost another classic theater in Detroit area-

http://www.thenewsherald.com/news/al...99d252773.html

Quote:
After more than three-quarters of a century delighting Downriver moviegoers, Allen Park Digital Cinemas is closing on Thursday.

The five-screen theater at 6601 Allen Road, in the heart of the city’s downtown area, has been an institution in the city since its opening in 1942.

It began with a single screen, and years later added additional ones. In recent years, it has operated as a discount theater, showing second-run movies for $1 for matinees and on weekends, and $1.50 for evening shows.

“I was born in the city, so I’ve lived here 79 years,” said Mayor William Matakas. “I never remember the city without the theater.”
Kept the orginal Art Deco signage until the very end- truly a historic, museum worthy piece of art.

I hope the exterior signage architecture is preserved, maybe given to the Henry Ford Museum up the street...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ap-cienmae.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	2630380  
Otter0911 likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 10-22-2019 at 11:47 AM.
post #78 of 78 Old 10-21-2019, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Art
Yes, you missed it. I bought 'em ALL!

(Maybe I'll sell ya a spare Vudu code...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page