Wizard of Oz 4K UHD on disc - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #31 of 38 Old 10-29-2019, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
English audio on disc Mono only?

You’re going to think I’m crazy but I bought the 4K Wizard of Oz Blu-ray today and put it my Sony UBP-700 player and the English audio track is only Mono! The other language options play 5.1 I spent over an hour trying different discs and checking the settings but no problem. When I turn the disc on the Warner Brothers bug sound is surround nut when the menu comes on Mono only. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 10-29-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
Yes, I think you're crazy.

In my Panasonic DP-UB820, I don't get any audio format choices for the UHD disk. (Languages, yes.)

The audio format is supposed to be DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, which is consistent with the processing formats available with my Denon AVR.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-o...ay-review.html

I don't see what format the included BD is, but I think it's the same.

No idea why the Sony player is doing weird stuff.
post #33 of 38 Old 10-30-2019, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 176
This disc is an absolute stunner in every aspect. And according to the review over at Ultra HD-“ The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track is the same one Warner used for the film's 75th anniversary 3D Blu-ray release and it serves the movie well. The film's original mono track and a music-and-effects track are also included only on the Blu-ray disc and can be accessed via the Special Features menu.” if that helps.

EQUIPMENT:LG OLED77C8PUA (ISF calibrated by Jeff Meier)-OPPO BDP-203 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Marantz 7703 Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-Outlaw Model 5000 amplifier-2 Mythos 4-1 Mythos 8-2 Mythos BPX-2 NHT Super Zeros-4 SVS Prime Elevation speakers-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Elite-Xbox One S-Roku Ultra streaming player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 Old 10-31-2019, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Received my preorder from Amazon yesterday.

Plan to watch over holiday season sometime.
post #35 of 38 Old 10-31-2019, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
You're of course entitled to feel however you want to feel, but what does the movie's aspect ratio have to do with its worthiness to upgrade to 4k or HDR? The argument you're making is not very clear.
Agreed

Aspect ratio has ZERO to do with remastering for 4K UHD disc.

In addition to higher resolution (allows resolving details to limit of film stock, aspect doesn't matter), 4K UHD discs bring a new codec x265 (more efficient = better image quality at similar or less bitrate), HDR metadata (frame by frame for DV/HDR10+), 10 bits/color (R-G-B) vs 8 bpc for 1080p BD, WGC bt2020 colorspace vs more limited bt709 for 1080p BD, immersive audio "Standard" (if mastered for any release format), triple layer disc capability (quad layer moving forward = more data = higher bitrates, audio rates, 1080p BD= 2 layer), and probably other stuff I'm forgetting...

As long as the film is in OAR (the Original Aspect Ratio it was created in), no issues from any cinemaphile.
Art Sonneborn and Jbhur212 like this.

Last edited by Rgb; 10-31-2019 at 08:08 PM.
post #36 of 38 Old 11-05-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I had only bought this 4K disc player a mouth ago and though it worked on other discs I opened the audio settings an did the mess around and the surround sound worked!
I have seen this movie dozens of times over the years and I would have to say that this is the most electric looking I’ve ever seen it! Well worth buying!
post #37 of 38 Old 11-15-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
I watched this last weekend still an incredible film IMO. The upgrade from the BD is not night and day, however. Mostly I'd say some fine detail is visible and it looks more film-like overall but personally, I think it isn't that wow moment upgrade. The BD from the DVD was holy ****e !

Art
post #38 of 38 Old 11-23-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Watched this last night and the biggest thing I noticed was the somewhat greater subtlety of color. Reds particularly seem to demonstrate the WCG. There is also a greater sense of color saturation which accords well with the oversaturation I find common in classic 3-strip Technicolor. The difference in this release is not as great as the upgrade over previous versions that the Blu-Ray of a few years ago offered. If you love this movie as I do, you'll probably want this. If you only like the movie and have the great Blu-Ray, you can probably skip it.

BTW, I have bought nearly every release of this film since the LaserDisc days and don't really regret any of those purchases.
Art Sonneborn likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page