Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Wizard of Oz 4K UHD on disc

For Art S

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=25610

Quote:
The Wizard of Oz 4K Blu-ray (UPDATED)
Posted August 23, 2019 03:05 AM by

Warner Home Video LogoWarner Bros. Home Entertainment will release on 4K Blu-ray Victor Fleming's classic film The Wizard of Oz (1939), starring Judy Garland, Frank Morgan, Ray Bolger, Bert Lahr, and Jack Haley. The release will be available for purchase on October 29.
Quote:
In 1989 The Wizard of Oz was part of the inaugural group of films selected for preservation in the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress for being culturally, historically, and aesthetically significant.

Using state of the art technology, a new 8K 16bit scan of the original Technicolor camera negative became the basis for the 4K UHD scan. The process was overseen by MPI colorist Janet Wilson, who has overseen every remaster of The Wizard of Oz for the past 20 years.

The 4K Blu-ray disc of The Wizard of Oz will feature DOLBY VISION HDR that dramatically expands the color palette and contrast range and uses dynamic metadata to automatically optimize the picture for every screen — frame by frame.

4K BLU-RAY TECHNICAL SPECS:
BRAND NEW 8K 16-BIT SCAN OF THE ORIGINAL TECHNICOLOR CAMERA NEGATIVE
DOLBY VISION HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
Optional English SDH, Latin Spanish, Parisian French, Brazilian Portuguese, Complex Chinese, Castilian Spanish, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, German SDH, Italian SDH, Japanese, Norwegian, and Swedish subtitles for the main feature
4K BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:
Commentary by John Fricke with Barbara Freed-Saltzman, Margaret Hamilton, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, John Lahr, Jane Lahr, Hamilton Meserve, Dona Massin, William Tuttle, Buddy Ebsen, Mervyn LeRoy and Jerry Maren.
1990 CBS Special "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: The Making of a Movie Classic."
BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES:
Commentary- Commentary by John Fricke with Barbara Freed-Saltzman, Margaret Hamilton, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, John Lahr, Jane Lahr, Hamilton Meserve, Dona Massin, William Tuttle, Buddy Ebsen, Mervyn LeRoy and Jerry Maren
The Making of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Storybook (narrated by Angela Lansbury)
We Haven't Really Met Properly…
We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Frank Morgan"
We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Ray Bolger"
We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Bert Lahr"
We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Jack Haley"
We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Billie Burke"
We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Margaret Hamilton"
We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Charley Grapewin"
We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Clara Blandick"
We Haven't Really Met Properly: "Terry"
Music & Effects Track
Original Mono Track
Sing Along Tracks
Audio Jukebox
Leo is on the Air Radio Promo
Good News of 1939 Radio Show
12/25/1950 Lux Radio Broadcast
Stills Galleries
Oz on Broadway
Pre-MGM
Sketches and Storyboards
Richard Thorpe's Oz
Buddy Ebsen
Oz Comes to Life
Behind the Scenes
Portraits
Special Effects
Post Production
Deleted Scenes
Original Publicity
8/15/1939 Hollywood Premiere
8/17/1939 New York Premiere
2/29/1940 Academy Awards® Ceremony
Oz Abroad
Oz Revivals
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11016_tn.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	2607768  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-27-2019, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Guess we can expect an "8K 16bit (per color)" disc someday

vs "only" 4K 10bit/color UHD discs
nathanddrews likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 08-27-2019 at 10:49 AM.
post #3 of 30 Old 08-27-2019, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 08-27-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

post #5 of 30 Old 08-27-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

post #6 of 30 Old 09-02-2019, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I hate to be a kill-joy by injecting just a pinch of logic, but shortly after her arrival in Full-Color Munchkin Land, why doesn't the Good Witch tell Dorothy that the easiest, simplest, safest way to get back to B&W Kansas (and to her likely-short life of being exploited by Big-City Capitalists as a work-hard-every-day-of-your-life-until-you-die farmer) would be to tap those magical ruby slippers' heels together, rather than send her down the Yellow Brick Road to discuss with the Wizard of Oz how to get home (just coincidentally, near end of the movie)? What would you say to the "good" witch if you were in Dorothy's shoes, went on that dangerous journey, and then that very same person tells you that you could have avoided the whole D thing and taken the short-cut home by tapping your heels together three times (which turned out to be what, 12 times)? If I were Dot, I'd convert that movie from PG to NR18+ PDQ!
post #7 of 30 Old 09-02-2019, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
I hate to be a kill-joy by injecting just a pinch of logic, but shortly after her arrival in Full-Color Munchkin Land, why doesn't the Good Witch tell Dorothy that the easiest, simplest, safest way to get back to B&W Kansas (and to her likely-short life of being exploited by Big-City Capitalists as a work-hard-every-day-of-your-life-until-you-die farmer) would be to tap those magical ruby slippers' heels together, rather than send her down the Yellow Brick Road to discuss with the Wizard of Oz how to get home (just coincidentally, near end of the movie)? What would you say to the "good" witch if you were in Dorothy's shoes, went on that dangerous journey, and then that very same person tells you that you could have avoided the whole D thing and taken the short-cut home by tapping your heels together three times (which turned out to be what, 12 times)? If I were Dot, I'd convert that movie from PG to NR18+ PDQ!
Don't do too much Eastern/New Age philosophies. eh?

It's all 'bout the Life Lessons, Personal Development-etc

It's the Journey, not the Destination that matters.

Watch a few NDE (Near Death Experience) videos on YT- regardless of religion, beliefs, race, nationality, etc- all claim to have had a "Life review", ie what lessons learned during life.

And in the fictional Oz-verse, one can assume the Good Witch (aka Spirit Guide/Guardian Angel) knows the end result(s), sees Dorothy's future and is watching over her during the process (explicitly shown when she causes the snow to wake them up from the sleepy-poppies) to prevent any permanent/serious physical harm, while all the characters grow/develop/gain insight/life lessons in the journey.

One interpretation of Oz could be Dorothy's NDE- she was unconcious/comatose after being injured in the tornado, after all

Last edited by Rgb; 09-09-2019 at 07:33 PM.
post #8 of 30 Old 09-02-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

It's the Journey, not the Destination that matter.

Watch a few NDE (Near Death Experience) videos on YT- regardless of religion, beliefs, race, nationality, etc- all claim to have had a "Life review", ie what lessons learned during life.

And in the fictional Oz-verse, one can assume the Good Witch knows the end result(s), sees Dorothy's future and is watching over her during the process (explicitly shown when she causes the snow to wake them up from the sleepy-poppies) to prevent any permanent/serious physical harm, while all the characters grow/develop/gain insight/life lessons in the journey.

Once interpretation of Oz could be Dorothy's NDE- she was unconcious/comatose after being injured in the tornado, after all
Just a bit more joy-killing. Yup, there's no place like home (and her, once again with feeling, likely-short life of being exploited by Big-City Capitalists as a work-hard-every-day-of-your-life-until-you-die farmer)! So don't waste any time dreaming about other, possibly more exotic and interesting places or alternative lifestyles on planet earth. Just stay "down on the farm" (or in your big-city ghetto "home"), etc. and be "happy". That's the life-lesson that WoO and Dot's NDE teaches viewers. Yummy! I'm swallowing!!
post #9 of 30 Old 09-02-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
Just a bit more joy-killing. Yup, there's no place like home (and her, once again with feeling, likely-short life of being exploited by Big-City Capitalists as a work-hard-every-day-of-your-life-until-you-die farmer)! So don't waste any time dreaming about other, possibly more exotic and interesting places or alternative lifestyles on planet earth. Just stay "down on the farm" (or in your big-city ghetto "home"), etc. and be "happy". That's the life-lesson that WoO and Dot's NDE teaches viewers. Yummy! I'm swallowing!!
Well, many retired engineer/tech peers and the Amish whose lands I pass through to a rural lake getaway would agree with (and prefer) that sentiment.

Last edited by Rgb; 09-04-2019 at 06:44 AM.
post #10 of 30 Old 09-02-2019, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

post #11 of 30 Old 09-06-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 1448
Sadly, as with GWTW, it is what it is--original aspect ratio 1.37:1. BDs for both is good enough.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #12 of 30 Old 09-06-2019, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Am I the only one wondering what the actual soundtrack options are? With the amount of work going into this disk I fully expect a newly remastered Atmos track.
Panson likes this.
post #13 of 30 Old 09-06-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
Am I the only one wondering what the actual soundtrack options are? With the amount of work going into this disk I fully expect a newly remastered Atmos track.
Nope, maybe in the WOO sequel with Katy Perry?

4K UHD

Audio
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)

BD

Audio
English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz, 24-bit)

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #14 of 30 Old 09-06-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4141 Post(s)
Liked: 3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Sadly, as with GWTW, it is what it is--original aspect ratio 1.37:1. BDs for both is good enough.
Aspect ratio has nothing to do with either resolution or HDR. A 1.37:1 movie has more active pixels (6,391,872) than a 2.40:1 movie (6,144,000), yet we see plenty of those on UHD.

Both of these films were projected onto massive screens in huge movie palaces in their day. Contrary to popular misconception, they were not shot on VHS or made for television.
RobertR likes this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #15 of 30 Old 09-06-2019, 03:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Aspect ratio has nothing to do with either resolution or HDR. A 1.37:1 movie has more active pixels (6,391,872) than a 2.40:1 movie (6,144,000), yet we see plenty of those on UHD.

Both of these films were projected onto massive screens in huge movie palaces in their day. Contrary to popular misconception, they were not shot on VHS or made for television.
FYI WOO alternate versions, including the farcical 1.85:1 aspect ratio presented in 1955.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032138/alternateversions

post #16 of 30 Old 09-06-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
FYI WOO alternate versions, including the farcical 1.85:1 aspect ratio presented in 1955.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032138/alternateversions
What does that have to do with anything? I'm baffled at what point you're trying to make.

The movie's Technicolor photography ought to look very nice in HDR and Wide Color Gamut.

Josh Z

post #17 of 30 Old 09-06-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? I'm baffled at what point you're trying to make.

The movie's Technicolor photography ought to look very nice in HDR and Wide Color Gamut.
Who said it wouldn't? Not I.

You're baffled? I was baffled at your initial reply. I didn't say anything about resolution, and you're trying to make a meal out of it.

The film can't go widescreen, and for that reason I don't care about more resolution. Blu-ray is fine. Good enough.

Goodbye.

post #18 of 30 Old 09-06-2019, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

It's the Journey, not the Destination that matters.

And in the fictional Oz-verse, one can assume the Good Witch knows the end result(s), sees Dorothy's future and is watching over her during the process (explicitly shown when she causes the snow to wake them up from the sleepy-poppies) to prevent any permanent/serious physical harm, while all the characters grow/develop/gain insight/life lessons in the journey.

One interpretation of Oz could be Dorothy's NDE- she was unconcious/comatose after being injured in the tornado, after all
Also it was all just a dream. Last time I checked I can't control my dreams so I don't think Dorothy had a choice.

Projector:Epson 6050ub Screen:Elite screens manual SRM Pro series 120" TV: Vizio P75f Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7705 Amplifier:Monolith 7x and Emotiva A-700 for ATMOSSpeakers:Klipsch THX8000-L (LCR) R5800 side surrounds, 5650-S rear surrounds Klipsch 5800-C for ATMOSSubwoofers:PSA v1811x2 Bluray Player:Panasonic ub820 Media Streamer:Fire TV cube
post #19 of 30 Old 09-06-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
You're baffled? I was baffled at your initial reply. I didn't say anything about resolution, and you're trying to make a meal out of it.

The film can't go widescreen, and for that reason I don't care about more resolution. Blu-ray is fine. Good enough.

I'm just trying to follow your reasoning, is all. What does not being in widescreen have to do with Blu-ray being good enough? The two things have no connection.
Art Sonneborn and RobertR like this.

Josh Z

post #20 of 30 Old 09-07-2019, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Who said it wouldn't? Not I.

Goodbye.
Not just about pixel count- HDR and 10bit WGC bt2020 color are what many of us are after re: disc upgrades from DVD/1080p BD > 4K UHD discs.

Add Atmos or DTSX on top (yes, some 1080p BluRays include these)

All 1080p BluRays have 8 bit bt709 color and no HDR (any flavor- HDR10, DV, HDR10+)

Nearly all pre 1950's films will be 4x3. Even B&W 4x3 films could benefit from added resolution (Assuming a good film stock scan) and/or HDR treatment.

Last edited by Rgb; 09-08-2019 at 03:51 PM.
post #21 of 30 Old 09-07-2019, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post
Also it was all just a dream. Last time I checked I can't control my dreams so I don't think Dorothy had a choice.
NOt ALL dreams

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

If you could do Lucid Dreaming on command- free Holodeck!

Liquid$team likes this.
post #22 of 30 Old 09-08-2019, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 1662
Quote:
I'm just trying to follow your reasoning, is all. What does not being in widescreen have to do with Blu-ray being good enough? The two things have no connection.
Exactly! This should look spectacular!

Art
post #23 of 30 Old 09-09-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 3081
Just wait till Disney does the original 'Fantasia' in 4k..then we can have this discussion ALL OVER AGAIN
Panson likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #24 of 30 Old 09-10-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Just wait till Disney does the original 'Fantasia' in 4k..then we can have this discussion ALL OVER AGAIN
On WOZ's 80th (and likely what's to come in box format), I think two at hometheaterdotcom and bluraydotcom may have said it best.

"This film has had more anniversaries than a family of polygamists." - Rob W.

"It was fun being a movie fan while it lasted. Now it's nothing new here but HDR, WCG, and some extra res with same old _ _ _ _." - KubrickKurasawa

post #25 of 30 Old 09-12-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:

"It was fun being a movie fan while it lasted. Now it's nothing new here but HDR, WCG, and some extra res with same old _ _ _ _." - KubrickKurasawa
Well, who hasn't seen this film a dozen times..? What does KK expect in a rerelease onto a much much better format that can actually display what is on the film perhaps for the first time for most of us? His comment shows an egocentric view of why "we" should watch films. I for one get a renewed joy for the film that without the WCG, HDR, and res I'd unlikely have. Not saying it best by a long shot IMO.

Art
post #26 of 30 Old 09-12-2019, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Well, who hasn't seen this film a dozen times..? What does KK expect in a rerelease onto a much much better format that can actually display what is on the film perhaps for the first time for most of us? His comment shows an egocentric view of why "we" should watch films. I for one get a renewed joy for the film that without the WCG, HDR, and res I'd unlikely have. Not saying it best by a long shot IMO.

Art
Holy schmuck, don't know where to begin to address KK's comment!

The WHOLE POINT of the HT hobby is to enjoy films with the best/most optimized audio and video one can afford or implement within design/budget constraints (Everyone has different circumstances).

Yes, film buff-ery can be one part of the HT hobby- knowing the details of direction, film writing, dialog, set deisgn, FX, cinema history, etc. Even cinemaphile snobbery has its place. If these are the case for you and you aren't picky re: technical quality, just get a VHS or DVD of the films you like and enjoy. I see HUGE numbers of good quality VHS and DVD decks at thrift stores/yard sales for $10 or less I think part of KK's sentiemnt arises from not being able to enjoy a film he has already on DVD/BD "just because" a newer 4K disc (or better tech quality BD) has been released, and/or a film may never be released on a newer format (DVD> BD/4K).

Reading reviews of new releases/re-masterings of films, whether a new format or not (ie DVD>DVD or DVD>BD>UHD) on forums like this to determine if the upgrade or re-puchase is "worth it" to you personally is part of the due diligence of partaking in the hobby. Grow out of the OCD or envy traps and double/triple/quadruple dip only if it matters to you.

Sometimes a new release has flaws (Edge enhancement, DNR, audio or video encode/mastering issues, etc), so the prior release is preferred by HT enthusiasts. Sometimes a new release omits content or extras you may want/like, so keeping the prior release has value.

Curating a physical media collection periodically is also part of the hobby- culling your collection for no longer liked/wanted films (Tastes change, or no longer has content or technical merit vs newer release) and selling, gifting, trading in or donating (Libraries, charity thrift stores, etc) older releases is warranted.

But when there are BIG technical improvements like VHS/LD>DVD or DVD/BD> 4K UHD disc, the upgrades are more than justified.

Yes, the depreciation on MOST physical media is staggering- always been this way for all audio media (vinyl, CD, etc), video media (VHS, LD, DVD, BD, etc) and the re-release pipline can seem like a treadmill. But over the years you know this is the case and learn to be patient with purchases and buy used/thirft to manange costs as needed. Also ask for new 4K discs for gift occasions (birthdays/holidays/anniversaries, etc) to contain costs- win-win for the giver and receiver Easy to find/purchase item for a Mom/spouse buyer, and you get what you REALLY want! PLus, depreciation doesn't matter to buyer or receiver!

But when real, bonafide technical improvements and effort has been applied to a new release, the upgrade can be a justifed purchase for many here, and keeps up the excitement for the hobby and makes a catalog film new, fresh and "fun" again.
Josh Z likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 09-12-2019 at 07:27 AM.
post #27 of 30 Old 09-12-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For discerning collectors that may want that little extra promised on the dozenth release, have at it.

For most, it's not necessary, especially with a 80 year-old box format. I like old movies and appreciate their limited manner. However, I don't need a spit-shine on an old pair of loafers.

One 4K UHD review site, I've noticed, invariably says the new 4K UHDs are considerable improvements over previous Blu-ray releases. That's just not true, as attested by Bluraydotcom ratings, and "amateur" reviewers. Though ever-advancing technical knowledge is available, it's not always applicable or successful when applied.

Que sera, sera for WOZ 80. Enjoy.

post #28 of 30 Old 09-12-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
However, I don't need a spit-shine on an old pair of loafers.
It's more like making an entirely new pair of loafers using the old pair as a pattern.
post #29 of 30 Old 09-13-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
For discerning collectors that may want that little extra promised on the dozenth release, have at it.

For most, it's not necessary, especially with a 80 year-old box format. I like old movies and appreciate their limited manner. However, I don't need a spit-shine on an old pair of loafers.
You're of course entitled to feel however you want to feel, but what does the movie's aspect ratio have to do with its worthiness to upgrade to 4k or HDR? The argument you're making is not very clear.
RobertR likes this.

Josh Z

post #30 of 30 Old 09-14-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
You're of course entitled to feel however you want to feel, but what does the movie's aspect ratio have to do with its worthiness to upgrade to 4k or HDR? The argument you're making is not very clear.
You are being too kind IMO.

Art
RobertR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page