What's the point of Blu-ray slipcovers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
  • 8 Post By rdgrimes
  • 3 Post By Jawaburger
  • 3 Post By Art Sonneborn
  • 2 Post By Tedd
  • 1 Post By Worf
  • 1 Post By Rgb
  • 1 Post By Worf

post #1 of 21 Old 08-31-2019, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 85
What's the point of Blu-ray slipcovers?

I've noticed that a lot of people are picky about that their Blu-ray boxes come with slipcovers. But I just wonder what the point of the slipcovers is?

In most cases the slipcover looks more or less exactly the same as the Blu-ray box. So then it's kind of pointless, and only becomes a minor hassle when to take it on and off when watching the movie.

If the slipcovers have some really fancy artwork or are produced using some spectacular printing technology that is not possible to achieve for the Blu-ray box itself, then maybe I could see the point. But it's very rare that the slipcovers are produced in such a way.

So I just wonder if I'm missing something here. For those that really like the slipcovers, what are the reasons for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-31-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3191
Mine go straight to the bin, they take up too much space on the shelf and just get in the way,
post #3 of 21 Old 08-31-2019, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 210
It is so people have something to complain about.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 08-31-2019, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 503
I once read that they are anti-theft measures.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #5 of 21 Old 08-31-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 442
They can add things like texturing or 3D images to them which is not possible otherwise. They're a gimmick but some people (like me) like them. Others don't. If you don't care for them, throw them away.

post #6 of 21 Old 08-31-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 2084
1. They make you feel important.

2. They give you more for your money.

3. They add resale value.

Note: Better check with Snopes or Urban Legends to confirm.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #7 of 21 Old 09-01-2019, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Go over to Blu Ray.com, it's quite a topic, part of the collector's item aspect. I throw them out.

Art
post #8 of 21 Old 09-01-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 2211 Post(s)
Liked: 930
I toss them into the recycling.
Jive Turkey and Panson like this.
post #9 of 21 Old 09-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post
Go over to Blu Ray.com, it's quite a topic, part of the collector's item aspect. I throw them out.

Art
As an OCD collector/completist, just ingore me dumpster diving at Art's

But seriously, as others have mentioned, several reasons:

1) Increased perceived value among the masses at large, per marketing speak "differentiation" from the crowd, like better trim levels in the automotive world.
2) A collectible addon, moreso when they put a 3D lenticular or other premium art/extras on the slipcover (metallized, extra fold out flap you can open without breaking shrinkwrap, etc)
- as titles go OOP, some may increase in value, similar to vinyl/CD's on DIscogs
- in the very long run, I suspect when/if physical video media dies, good condition physical discs with all extras- Booklets, inserts, slipcover, etc, which may be rare as most people discard/lose/damage, etc) may show up on the Antiques Roadshows of the future. Think stamps, baseball cards, etc.
3) Functionally:
- keeps case from popping open and spilling contents, perhaps damaging disc(s) if dropped (I've had this happen a couple times)
- As someone mentioned above, theft deterrance (vs only shrinkwrap to break to get discs out, though if someone is suing a razorblade in either case? Or simply removes the slip?)

Steelbooks are just another collector's packaging, usually exclusive to a specific retailer to get you in the door/website. I like slipcovers for long term collectibility, though wouldn't turn down a Steelbook for same/less price(SB's usually +$5 premium at retail) or even better, free/gift/thrift- Just scored a pristine, complete Chappie Steelbook at Salvation Army last week for 50 cents!.

If you drop a Steelbook, it may dent/scratch and decrease collectors value, the point of getting it in the first place.

Whether any of these reasons are valid is up for debate.

Last edited by Rgb; 09-05-2019 at 07:53 AM.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-01-2019, 05:40 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
It is so people have something to complain about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B10VURbl2KQ
I. Can't. Watch.
post #11 of 21 Old 09-02-2019, 01:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Some slipcovers offer better art - the back of a case is often full of technical information (in two or three languages), so a slipcover lets you wrap the disc in full art (of course, it's a bit annoying if you want to read the movie summary, but eh).

Or sometimes it allows the disc to be sold throughout Canada, but they do an all English slipcover (the slipcover won't be put on in Quebec).

Of course, I'm not a fan of slip covers that are just a cardboard representation of the paper label. Give me the texture, or lenticular covers, or the full art covers. If you're going to go through the effort of making a slipcover, at least make it something of value.
Rgb likes this.
post #12 of 21 Old 09-02-2019, 06:44 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

...and rather than toss (or burn!?), at least save them in a box/ziplock and offer to avs/HT guys during meets, or post on discussions to send out to anyone interested (entire collection, they pay shipping, so you don't have to handle one at a time- qualifies for USPS MEdia Mail so a few bucks flat rate). Same goes for booklets/inserts/code sheets, etc. Other HT guys/collectors may lose theirs, or they may be missing when obtained used.

That said, agreed re: dubious artistic value if the slip is identical content-wise vs the case cover.

Should always add something to the slip- metallized, textured/embossed art, lenticular, different art/graphics on front and/or back vs case, etc

Last edited by Rgb; 09-04-2019 at 07:49 AM.
post #13 of 21 Old 09-02-2019, 06:57 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Kinda reminds me of the anti-Longbox arguments for CD's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longbox
https://mentalfloss.com/article/3114...ig-early-1990s
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/comp...box-earth-day/

Kept all mine in a box in the attic

...time to check ebay prices

(Yep- Peter Gabriel 3/Melt, West German first pressing in shrinkwrap longbox $338 Buy it Now )
SimpleTheater likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 09-04-2019 at 07:48 AM.
post #14 of 21 Old 09-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 503
That reminds me in the very earliest days of DVD the same movies were available in both CD-sized Jewel Boxes and the larger Plastic cases. Obviously we know which one consumers preferred.

There were also these ridiculous hybrid cases that were plastic and the larger size but they opened from the bottom. And 90% of the time the disc fell out of its holder and came scratched.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #15 of 21 Old 09-02-2019, 07:55 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantc View Post
That reminds me in the very earliest days of DVD the same movies were available in both CD-sized Jewel Boxes and the larger Plastic cases. Obviously we know which one consumers preferred.

There were also these ridiculous hybrid cases that were plastic and the larger size but they opened from the bottom. And 90% of the time the disc fell out of its holder and came scratched.
Yep- first DVD I owned was the first release of IMAX- Africa The Serengeti (James Earl Jones Narration). Still have it in its original CD jewel case. Video quality terrible by today's standards, but was wowed in 1997
post #16 of 21 Old 09-02-2019, 09:18 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

...or the early days of BluRay, when they couldn't decide whether to use existing DVD cases or the new BluRay case form factor. Funny when they'd release both versions, testing to see what would sell better.
post #17 of 21 Old 09-03-2019, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Made sense. It was because retailers had shelving already setup for older formats. CD long boxes were designed to fit in vinyl record shelves, except they could hold 2 side by side. Thus the record store could make some space on their vinyl shelves and poof, instant cd shelving.

DVDs were the same size as CDs, and stores had plenty of shelves that hold CDs so using the jewel case format made sense. But there was another size they could use, which was the VHS sized box, just thinner and wider (though some of the larger VHS boxes were as wide as a DVD box). So they could design a box that could fit on VHS shelves too for retailers (the added width wasn't a huge problem - if it was edge on, the VHS shelves were deep enough to hold them, and front on just meant it held less movies on a shelf). So the DVD sized boxes stuck because the retailers preferred sticking movies with well, movies, rather than stuffing the newfangled DVDs with the CDs. Easier to stock less VHS tapes and replace them with DVDs than stock less VHS, take down the VHS shelves and then install cd shelving to hold DVDs.

Not too sure where the size of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray boxes came from though - it's like both camps came up with the exact same size. I could understand DVD box size, since they'd all have DVD specific shelves, but I'm not sure what drove the new size format.
Rgb likes this.

Last edited by Worf; 09-03-2019 at 12:21 AM.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-04-2019, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4472 Post(s)
Liked: 3397
The point of slipcovers is to allow me to recoup a dollar or two from the purchase price of the disc by selling the cardboard wrapper on eBay afterwards.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-04-2019, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The point of slipcovers is to allow me to recoup a dollar or two from the purchase price of the disc by selling the cardboard wrapper on eBay afterwards.
The time it takes to put it in an envelope and put it in the mail completely counters the amount of money I get for the slip cover. I sold a couple, then decided it was not worth my time. I do sell all digital codes, though. I usually get $5.00-$10.00 bucks for each of those, and it only takes a few minutes on the computer to do that.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
post #20 of 21 Old 09-04-2019, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4472 Post(s)
Liked: 3397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
The time it takes to put it in an envelope and put it in the mail completely counters the amount of money I get for the slip cover.
Fair. You really have to sell them in batches, not individually, to be worth the time.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #21 of 21 Old 09-04-2019, 01:36 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Fair. You really have to sell them in batches, not individually, to be worth the time.

...or store for ~50 years and get tickets to Antiques Roadshow and clean up

(but seriously, you are correct- just offer to other avsforum members or other forums as a batch and send via flat rate USPS or MEdia Mail)

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-...Mail-Book-Rate
https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/Notice123.htm#_c059
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
blu-ray , pointless , reason , slipcover

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page