Excellent Foreign Language films with subtitles - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #31 of 40 Old 09-21-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 407
There's a lot of Japanese films that I really like. Director Yoji Yamada (he has been making films since 1961 and is still churning them out at the remarkable age of 88) has a number of films that I love, samurai films Love and Honor, The Hidden Blade, the comedic trilogy What a Wonderful Family 1, 2 and 3 and the remake of Yasujiro Ozu's Tokyo Story called Tokyo Family.

While Akira Kurosawa is known for The Seven Samurai, the Yojimbo series, his Red Beard is not be missed.

Also excellent is the trilogy Always Sunset on Third Street which is a comedic drama of several residents living in Tokyo in the 1950's during the start of the economic boom. Finally the two movies Midnight Diner 1 and 2. Movies based on Japanese manga (comics) where eccentric characters meet in a diner that is open from midnight to seven a.m.. These were preceded by three seasons of TV episodes in Japan. A fourth season was released on Netflix and can be viewed to see what the show is about.

European films include the comedy The Valet, dramas Dear Frankie, Mostly Martha horror film Attack the Block, Let the Right One In and the six part thriller series The Girl in the Dragon Tattoo.
alebonau and Mister B.M. like this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 09-22-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 1653

Federico Fellini - The Criterion Collection

https://www.criterion.com/shop/colle...derico-fellini
alebonau, darksets and Mister B.M. like this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #33 of 40 Old 09-28-2019, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1896 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Folks ... German films ? Much about ? Interested in what are good contemporary movies 🙂 seems to be a dearth in my collection 🙂

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 Old 09-28-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post

Federico Fellini - The Criterion Collection

https://www.criterion.com/shop/colle...derico-fellini
I feel any additional comment on my part is probably superfluous but just for the young people out there I strongly recommend "La Dolce Vita" ( top ten all time imo), "Nights Of Cabiria" and "Amarcord".
alebonau, Mister B.M. and Panson like this.
post #35 of 40 Old 10-09-2019, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
Folks ... German films ?

The Fan, 1982.

80's Psychological Thriller
Great genre flick, with initial slow-burn pacing and period-distinct dash of sleaze. Desiree Nosbusch, the young lead actress, really carries the mail in this one.

Barbara, 2012.

Cold War Era Thriller
Been a while since seen this one. Dr. Barbara has some conflicting motivations, which is compounded by the fact she's on the Stasi $#itlist. Just like in The Fan, I had to know what move the female lead was gonna make next - Nina Hoss is a boss. Seeing this one led me to another Christian Petzold movie...

Phoenix, 2014.

Mystery in Aftermath of WWII
Also been a while since seen this one, so am hard-pressed to regurgitate plot elements straight from memory, but that's probably not the best way to promote a great mystery movie. Just sayin' that identity or identities are in question (Phoenix?), and that Nina Hoss shows up again and continues to boss out - an actress and a movie star.

The Marriage of Maria Braun, 1978.

WWII, Theater of the Absurd
I tend to divide WWII movies between two lists: (One) those mostly devoted to combatants, and (Two) those mostly devoted to civilians with the war as a physical setting or contextual backdrop. Though I've seen it only once, and haven't seen them all, this is my pick for best German movie on List Two. Roger Ebert gave it one of his 'Great Movies' writeups. Must-see for any WWII completist.
alebonau and Panson like this.

Last edited by Mister B.M.; 10-09-2019 at 07:53 PM.
post #36 of 40 Old 10-09-2019, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you mister BM... I will be sure to explore.. they all look like great titles...

post #37 of 40 Old 10-11-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
Folks ... German films ? Much about ? Interested in what are good contemporary movies 🙂 seems to be a dearth in my collection 🙂

For German films, I like Mostly Martha, about an eccentric cook who is forced to take care of her young niece after her sister passes away in an accident.

Of course, Downfall... which recounts the last days of Adolph Hitler in his bunker at the end of WWII...

and the classic Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders, a fantasy movie about angels interacting with humans... One who decides to become human in order to understand their emotions...
alebonau likes this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #38 of 40 Old 10-14-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 918

watched this today.

In terms of other great foreign films, Pedro Almadovar is my favorite director.

Edit- I should also mention ... recently I have found Kanopy to be a great resource for foreign films. I had some visitors who didn't speak English and found things to watch in French for every night that we wanted to watch something. Kanopy is a service my library uses for streaming. I think Acorn is a similar one used by other local libraries.
alebonau likes this.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 10-14-2019 at 06:44 AM.
post #39 of 40 Old 10-14-2019, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
For German films, I like Mostly Martha, about an eccentric cook who is forced to take care of her young niece after her sister passes away in an accident.

Of course, Downfall... which recounts the last days of Adolph Hitler in his bunker at the end of WWII...

and the classic Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders, a fantasy movie about angels interacting with humans... One who decides to become human in order to understand their emotions...
some interesting films there Jon S thats for the recommendations

post #40 of 40 Old 10-14-2019, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

watched this today.

In terms of other great foreign films, Pedro Almadovar is my favorite director.

Edit- I should also mention ... recently I have found Kanopy to be a great resource for foreign films. I had some visitors who didn't speak English and found things to watch in French for every night that we wanted to watch something. Kanopy is a service my library uses for streaming. I think Acorn is a similar one used by other local libraries.
thanks BH, sadly a very small range our ways through this service. we do have a local broadcaster with world movies though so we are a bit spoilt that ways... plan to be checking out plenty more over coming months

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page