• 2 Post By gwthacker

post #1 of 8 Old 10-12-2019, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Dialogue Clipping in Movies

Hey All,

This has been bothering me for a long time. In certain movies during certain scenes with raised [shouting/yelling] vocal dialogue (both male and female) causes a harsh buzzing sound. It was annoying but not prominent enough for me to look for a solution. Last night I was watching Baywatch (2017) in UHD and there was a scene that was so egregious I had no choice but to do some digging. The scene in question occurs at ~20minutes in where a blond female is addressing a crowd on a microphone [picture attached]. As she raises her voice several times throughout her dialogue a buzzing sound is interlaced with her voice. I have tried to capture video exhibiting the sound I am describing:

In the YouTube clip I posted it occurs at 2-3s, 11s and 13s time stamps. I couldn't hear it when played back through my phone, but on my desktop speakers it reproduces faithfully.

I have verified that this is an issue with the source material and not my set-up. I used the digital download code and played the same scene through my computer system and the artifact is present. Is this just editors being lazy? I assume their microphone clipped when recording that scene. They couldn't fix that in post production?

This isn't the only movie I have had this problem with, but it was one of the worst offenders and easy enough for me to remember where it happened that I decided to investigate.

What do ya'll think?

Cheers,

Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baywatch.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1,014.6 KB
ID:	2627002  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-12-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4457 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post
The scene in question occurs at ~20minutes in where a blond female is addressing a crowd on a microphone [picture attached]. As she raises her voice several times throughout her dialogue a buzzing sound is interlaced with her voice. I have tried to capture video exhibiting the sound I am describing:

I mean... she's talking through PA speakers. Is this really an "error" or just the way the scene is supposed to sound? Do you hear this clipping during normal dialogue scenes?

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-12-2019, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 85
What is the trim level on the AVR like? Don't know how loud you are playing it?
Unless both the trim and playback volume are up pretty high, it wouldn't "clip"

If you don't have a problem playing back using head phones, the problem could be in the speakers.

I know it sounds like bad news, I had similar "fuzz" issue and it was because messed up my voice drivers and it needed to be replaced. Multiple movies are showing this is a big hint for me.

Beside a headphone test, you can test it by putting the dialog into LR speakers. Just set the AVR and set it up so it doesn't have a center speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-13-2019, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I mean... she's talking through PA speakers. Is this really an "error" or just the way the scene is supposed to sound? Do you hear this clipping during normal dialogue scenes?
"This has been bothering me for a long time. In certain movies during certain scenes with raised [shouting/yelling] vocal dialogue (both male and female) causes a harsh buzzing sound."
post #5 of 8 Old 10-13-2019, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal View Post
What is the trim level on the AVR like? Don't know how loud you are playing it?
Unless both the trim and playback volume are up pretty high, it wouldn't "clip"

If you don't have a problem playing back using head phones, the problem could be in the speakers.

I know it sounds like bad news, I had similar "fuzz" issue and it was because messed up my voice drivers and it needed to be replaced. Multiple movies are showing this is a big hint for me.

Beside a headphone test, you can test it by putting the dialog into LR speakers. Just set the AVR and set it up so it doesn't have a center speaker.
As I mentioned, I tried the same scene on a completely different set-up and it was still present. It's not equipment related and is part of the source material. I wasn't looking for troubleshooting advice but was more interested on the mastering end as to why this happens. This isn't the only movie that I had experienced this with but was the most egregious and I remembered the exact point where it happened so I could go back and investigate.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-13-2019, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Wait, there’s dialogue in the Baywatch movie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Josh Z and CallingMrBenzo like this.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-13-2019, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 85
In that case it is just bad recording then. They cannot complete fix it. Bad recording are sometimes dubbed over.
If you want to pay attention to stuff like that there are a lot of examples. (but mostly movies in the 90s) And bad lip sync is another thing.

Last edited by PoorSignal; 10-14-2019 at 01:10 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-13-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4457 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todeseng3l View Post
As I mentioned, I tried the same scene on a completely different set-up and it was still present. It's not equipment related and is part of the source material. I wasn't looking for troubleshooting advice but was more interested on the mastering end as to why this happens. This isn't the only movie that I had experienced this with but was the most egregious and I remembered the exact point where it happened so I could go back and investigate.
If you're hearing this on a lot of different material, I think you'll need to provide us more examples. The one you've given is arguably intended to sound bad on purpose.

Also, you say you watched this movie "in UHD." Was that disc or streaming? If streaming, from what source? It could just be a heavily compressed signal.

I don't mean to dismiss the problem you're experiencing, but I'm not aware of (and have not noticed) any widespread issue with modern movie soundtracks having poorly recorded or mixed dialogue. You say you've ruled out a hardware issue, but everything you described points to speakers being overdriven.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page