AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Software (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/)
-   -   Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga - 4K Boxset (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/3110242-star-wars-skywalker-saga-4k-boxset.html)

bryantc 12-18-2019 05:03 PM

Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga - 4K Boxset

Pre-order active. Best Buy Exclusive in US and Canada. Amazon Exclusive in UK.

March 31, 2020
9 movies, 27 discs

https://i.imgur.com/CajdtFS.jpg

Clesarie 12-19-2019 09:18 AM

Thats all 9 movies right? Im game for sure. Its a shame because I really dont like most of it sans the original trilogy but its worth it as a shelf piece and for the originals alone.

wookiegr 12-19-2019 09:22 AM

That's a steep price for someone like me that's been buying Star Wars on home video since the VHS days. I didn't pay George to screw around with the Cantina scene so I think I deserve a check from Lucasfilm.

bryantc 12-19-2019 04:10 PM

That's the Canadian price. And it may not be final either.

Jbhur212 12-20-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clesarie (Post 58978244)
Thats all 9 movies right? Im game for sure. Its a shame because I really dont like most of it sans the original trilogy but its worth it as a shelf piece and for the originals alone.

The REAL originals aren't going to be part of this set from everything I've read, just in case you were thinking that. Word is they may never be released again. Recent article-https://io9.gizmodo.com/even-j-j-abrams-cant-get-disney-to-release-unspecial-v-1840434353

Josh Z 12-20-2019 10:03 AM

Approx. $250 USD for this box set, or just watch all the movies in 4k on Disney+ for $6.99? Yeah, this is really gonna fly off the shelves... :rolleyes:

Clesarie 12-20-2019 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbhur212 (Post 58982818)
The REAL originals aren't going to be part of this set from everything I've read, just in case you were thinking that. Word is they may never be released again. Recent article-https://io9.gizmodo.com/even-j-j-abrams-cant-get-disney-to-release-unspecial-v-1840434353

I dont get all worked up over the drama of what versions or edit of the movies they are. As long as its all 9 movies I dont care what cut or edit they are of them as long as they present the highest video and audio quality possible.

liffie420 12-20-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 58983148)
Approx. $250 USD for this box set, or just watch all the movies in 4k on Disney+ for $6.99? Yeah, this is really gonna fly off the shelves... :rolleyes:

Oh you mean in faux K, sorry streaming 4K does not hold a candle to on disc 4k, I have done direct comparisons apple to apples with several different sources that I have streaming in "4k" from NetFlix on my 200 mbps cable connection versus the same scenes on UHD disc, they are not equal. That said I would be in the market for this, I am still also waiting on the 4K Release of Akira next year as well.

Eventually 12-21-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Yes it will.

liffie420 12-23-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eventually (Post 58988962)
Yes it will.

Agreed, Star Wars fans are always willing to buy a new/better version. That is part of the reason why there have been so many releases. I have the OG, but still special edition :rolleyes:, OT box set, I bought it again on DVD, as well as each of the prequels. Then I bought the "The Complete Collection" version on Blu Ray, and I have bought the new movies on Blu Ray/UHD as well as Rogue One and Solo, and when this set comes out I will buy it as well as the end game of buying Star Wars. I have done the same thing with Akira, I have owned at least 6 different copies from VHS forward.

Lozin 12-23-2019 05:19 PM

As a rule of thumb when I went 4K in 2016 with very few exceptions I won’t upgrade my Blu-Ray versions to 4K Blu-Rays but anything Star Wars & Back To The Future related is a must buy and I will have them both in 4K in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRock3x8 12-27-2019 12:25 PM

I only need 9 4K Blu-ray Discs.

This is silly overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fookoo_2010 12-28-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

The price is closer to $200 USD (153.08 British pounds) when ordered off of Amazon UK for delivery into the USA. :D

JediMastr 12-31-2019 06:27 PM

I'd be all over this if the last trilogy wasn't a complete and utter disgrace. I don't even consider it "canon". Since "The Last Jedi", I've spent a grand total of $0.00 on any and all things Star Wars. If there are some 4k rips of 1 through 6, I might check those out. Honestly, at this point, they would have to disavow episodes 7, 8, and 9 completely, to get my money. It's not impossible, considering reboots are all Hollywood does it seems, but it'll probably take 10 years...oh well.

It's like "Game of Thrones" season 8...couldn't buy it. I hate incomplete collections as much as anybody, but my conscience wouldn't allow it.

ARROW-AV 12-31-2019 06:51 PM

The product description states DOLBY ATMOS audio for all 9 movies :)

Jive Turkey 12-31-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW-AV (Post 59029834)
The product description states DOLBY ATMOS audio for all 9 movies

Great! Does it come with a guarantee I'll live long enough to watch them all again? ;)

I ask this question regularly about my movie, vinyl, and CD collections. But it's nice having a small Library of stuff to chose from.

tenthplanet 12-31-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jive Turkey (Post 59029858)
Great! Does it come with a guarantee I'll live long enough to watch them all again? ;)

I ask this question regularly about my movie, vinyl, and CD collections. But it's nice having a small Library of stuff to chose from.

Come to the dark side of the force and a long life is assured :) Look what it’s done for the Emperor :D:eek:

Brian Hampton 02-15-2020 05:15 AM

Quote:

Ugh,... Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance because I only had Disney+ for a few days when I friend visited. I was thrilled to watch Cars in 4K but after a few minutes I was not happy with the quality and I decided to wait till I could at least watch the UHD version which I now own.

I realized Disney is releasing pretty much EVERY worthwhile thing that is on D+ as a UHD disc and there isn't ANY of it I would rather watch streaming.

I haven't done my week free of Disney+ and I don't expect I ever will. Part of the "problem" with it is Pixar and Marvel and Star Wars is all content I would like to own instead of stuff I have to ask permission to view.

-Brian

DaveMN 02-19-2020 06:36 AM

Special features starting to leak:
https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/021820-1330

It looks like the following info is for the individual releases, not the boxset. Could end-up being the same for the boxset as well, but nothing official yet.

Quote:

It appears that all of the discs will include Dolby Atmos audio and HDR10 high dynamic range (no doubt Dolby Vision HDR will be restricted to the 4K Digital offering).
[Editor’s Note: There’s no indication of Dolby Vision HDR on any of these discs, including The Last Jedi. But we know that film did have Dolby Vision when released on 4K previously. So it’s possible the others could too. We’ll have to wait for Disney and Lucasfilm’s official announcement, which should be coming very soon.]

Be aware that the discs may also include additional features not listed below. However, here’s what the packaging shows…

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace will include audio commentary (with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, and Dennis Muren) and an archival commentary (by the cast and crew) on Disc One. The Bonus Disc will include Conversations: Doug Chiang Looks Back, Discoveries from Inside: Models & Miniatures, and George Lucas on the Digital Revolution (we suspect this will also include a Making of Collection but it’s not listed here).

Star Wars: Attack of the Clones will include audio commentary (with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, Pablo Helman, John Knoll, and Ben Snow) and an archival commentary (by the cast and crew) on Disc One. The Bonus Disc will include Conversations: Sounds in Space, Discoveries from Inside: Costumes Revealed, The Art of Attack of the Clones, and a Making of Collection.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith will include audio commentary (with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Rob Coleman, John Knoll, and Roger Guyett) and an archival commentary (by the cast and crew) on Disc One. The Bonus Disc will include Conversations: The Star Wars That Almost Was, Discoveries from Inside: Holograms & Bloopers, and a Making of Collection.

Solo: A Star Wars Story is the exact same 2-disc Special Edition released on 4K and Blu-ray previously and reviewed here on The Bits (click here for details).

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will include The Stories: A Rogue Idea, Jyn: The Rebel, Cassian: The Spy, K-2SO: The Droid, Baze & Chirrut: Guardians of the Whills, Bodhi & Saw: The Pilot & the Revolutionary, The Empire, Visions of Hope: The Look of Rogue One, The Princess & The Governor, Epilogue: The Story Continues, and Rogue Connections. (That is the exact same list of extras found on the previous Blu-ray release, reviewed here on The Bits.)

Star Wars: A New Hope will include audio commentary (with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt, and Dennis Muren) and an archival commentary (by the cast and crew) on Disc One. The Bonus Disc will include Conversations: Creating a Universe, Discoveries from Inside: Weapons & the First Lightsaber, Anatomy of a Dewback, and a Making of Collection.

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back will include audio commentary (with George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt, and Dennis Muren) and an archival commentary (by the cast and crew) on Disc One. The Bonus Disc will include Conversations: The Lost Interviews, Discoveries from Inside: Matte Paintings Revealed, and a Making of Collection.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi will include audio commentary (with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt, and Dennis Muren) and an archival commentary (by the cast and crew) on Disc One. The Bonus Disc will include Conversations: The Effects, Discoveries from Inside: The Sounds of Ben Burtt, Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi, and a Making of Collection.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens will include audio commentary with director JJ Abrams on Disc One. The Bonus Disc will include the exact same extras found on the previous Blu-ray release. What we don’t know for sure yet is whether they’ll be the original Blu-ray (reviewed here) or the more deluxe extras found on the Blu-ray 3D package (reviewed here). [Editor’s Note: Sources indicate this will in fact be the bonus disc from the 3D Collector’s Edition, which includes previously retail and digital exclusive extras.]

Star Wars: The Last Jedi will include audio commentary with director Rian Johnson and a MUCH welcome surprise: The Score-Only Version of the Movie that was previously a Digital exclusive. The Bonus Disc will include the exact same package of extras found on the previous Blu-ray and 4K version of the film (reviewed here). [Editor’s Note: Sources indicate this will include the Target-exclusive Meet the Porgs featurette.]

And finally, the official details for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker have yet to be revealed.
It doesn't look like Solo and Rogue One will be part of the boxset though.

There is a picture of the box in the Rise of Skywalker announcement today:
https://www.starwars.com/news/star-w...nment-announce

Josh Z 02-19-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMN (Post 59266500)
It doesn't look like Solo and Rogue One will be part of the boxset though.

They're not part of the Skywalker saga, so that makes sense.

tai4de2 02-19-2020 10:37 PM

I got an email from Best Buy today detailing a March 31 release date. This isn’t really new info but Best Buy at least has made the release date official.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

romper 02-22-2020 02:24 PM

Bill also said, and I think referring to the prequel trilogy and original trilogy, "I HAVE CONFIRMED THAT NONE OF THESE OTHER 4K DISCS WILL INCLUDE DOLBY VISION HDR—that will be Digital only."

Really!

Josh Z 02-24-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romper (Post 59282592)
Bill also said, and I think referring to the prequel trilogy and original trilogy, "I HAVE CONFIRMED THAT NONE OF THESE OTHER 4K DISCS WILL INCLUDE DOLBY VISION HDR—that will be Digital only."

Really!

The discs will have HDR10, but not Dolby Vision. That's s.o.p. at Disney. For whatever reason, someone at the studio believes that Dolby Vision only works with streaming.

liffie420 02-24-2020 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 59290290)
The discs will have HDR10, but not Dolby Vision. That's s.o.p. at Disney. For whatever reason, someone at the studio believes that Dolby Vision only works with streaming.

Or that implementing Dolby Vision on older movies is more trouble than its worth. I would assume HDR10 could be pretty easily done by just increasing the dynamic range of the master. Dolby Vision, by it's own design, is scene dependent and it's adjusting from shot to shot. Doing something like that for the 6 older movies would take a considerable about of time to just do an initial pass much less the fine tuning needed for each movie.

Josh Z 02-24-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liffie420 (Post 59290328)
Or that implementing Dolby Vision on older movies is more trouble than its worth. I would assume HDR10 could be pretty easily done by just increasing the dynamic range of the master. Dolby Vision, by it's own design, is scene dependent and it's adjusting from shot to shot. Doing something like that for the 6 older movies would take a considerable about of time to just do an initial pass much less the fine tuning needed for each movie.

Dolby Vision was already implemented on these movies, but is only available through streaming, not disc. The same goes for most Disney product. Streaming has Dolby Vision. Disc only has HDR10.

liffie420 02-24-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 59290858)
Dolby Vision was already implemented on these movies, but is only available through streaming, not disc. The same goes for most Disney product. Streaming has Dolby Vision. Disc only has HDR10.

Oh didn't know. I will still be buying it in 4k UHD, I could care less if it "only" has HDR10, I grew up watching these movies before HDR was even a thing LMAO, I will just be happy with a better source.

Josh Z 02-24-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liffie420 (Post 59290888)
Oh didn't know. I will still be buying it in 4k UHD, I could care less if it "only" has HDR10, I grew up watching these movies before HDR was even a thing LMAO, I will just be happy with a better source.

Unfortunately, it's not a better source. Here's what I wrote in the "Is 4K Physical Media Dead?" thread earlier today:

There is a 100% certainty that the disc versions will be the same as what's streaming on Disney+, except encoded in HDR10 without Dolby Vision (which Disney considers streaming exclusive). There will be no remastering and certainly no restoration of the original theatrical cuts. Even J.J. Abrams was told to STFU about it when he asked Kathleen Kennedy about restoring the theatrical cuts.

As they currently exist, the first three Star Wars movies (IV through VI) are locked to the quality of the 1080p masters struck back in 1997, now upscaled to 4k and given a new HDR grade that isn't really HDR because their peak highlights stay well within the SDR range.

I watched A New Hope on Disney+ with my kids this weekend. It looked basically the same as the Blu-ray, except dimmer overall and now with extra "Maclunkey."

Waboman 02-24-2020 02:03 PM

As much as I love giving LucasMouse™ my money, I do believe I'll be taking the Disney+ route on this one.

Josh Z 02-25-2020 10:21 AM

Moving conversation from the "Is 4K Physical Media Dead?" thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Hampton (Post 59291834)
Same Version of the movie - Yes. I agree

Same Video bit rate - no
Same audio quality ? ... no.

Can we compare bitrate of The Last Jedi from the UHD and streaming version? I imagine there is a factor of 10 in the data rate.

Discs sound better and these discs will sound so good, I can't wait to have them.

Talking specifically about the Original Trilogy, do you really think some bump in bit rate will significantly improve the ancient 1080p video masters from 1997? A higher bit rate will not magically restore the film grain that Lowry Digital sucked out, nor will it remove the edge enhancement artifacts common in many scenes. It also certainly won't make the fuzzy 1997 CGI look any better.

The HDR grade that Disney gave the Original Trilogy has no peak highlights that extend beyond the SDR range. Bit rate won't change that either. Comparing the "HDR" version on Disney+ with the SDR version on the old Blu-ray, the main difference is that the HDR version is much dimmer overall with loss of shadow detail.

Lossless audio on a UHD Blu-ray should be better than lossy streamed audio, perhaps. But the Atmos remixes that Disney gave the movies are dynamic range limited compared to the 6.1 mixes on the old Blu-rays. So you're going backwards there as well.

Those movies, in their current state, are completely borked. A disc release may be marginally better than what you can stream on Disney+, but anyone expecting a dramatic improvement is destined for a huge letdown.

The old Blu-rays were already disappointing. The "4K HDR Atmos" upgrade is a further step back in many respects, not the least of which are the extra "Maclunkey" changes.

romper 02-25-2020 10:43 AM

Well that's sad 😢. I would have thought the Original Trilogy would get a royal treatment for it's debut on 4K, especially since they are three of the biggest golden eggs in the Disney nest. But alas.