DTS Lagging This Time Around? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By sdurani
  • 2 Post By Worf

post #1 of 6 Old 01-01-2020, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 166
DTS Lagging This Time Around?

As far back as DVD I remember most of the movies I bought had DTS over Dolby Digital and probably 70% of my vast Blu-Ray collection has DTS Master HD over Dolby True HD sound. This time around with Ultra HD Blu-Ray(I only own about 60 titles since I don’t upgrade my Blu-Rays unless absolutely necessary) about 90% of my titles have Dolby Atmos over DTS-X with the exception of a few universal studios titles with DTS-X. Dolby appears to be the winner this time around. I wonder if DTS can catch up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-01-2020, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Quoted: 7542 Post(s)
Liked: 6708
Blu-ray was the only delivery medium where DTS dominated. For everything else (VHS, laserdisc, DVD, DVD-A, HD DVD, broadcast, cable, satellite, streaming, games, movie theatres, etc), Dolby either dominates or is exclusive. Atmos having about 4 times the releases as DTS:X is just back to normal for the two formats.
Josh Z likes this.

Sanjay
post #3 of 6 Old 01-02-2020, 01:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Well, it helped that Dolby Atmos was introduced in 2012 and enjoyed wide theatrical support leading to its adoption in home systems around 2014 or so. DTS didn't have anything - dts:X was not ready yet.

So studios had no choice but to adopt Dolby Atmos for home releases. Eventually about a year later DTS released DTS:X for home systems but it was not a full implementation as it did not support objects - the heights were baked in. Only recently did movies supporting objects get released.

Atmos has the advantage that the home version can use object placements from the cinema (the cinema processor can handle 128 objects simultaneously, while the home processors are limited to 16 or so) so it's easy to take he soundtrack from the cinema and produce the home release. Since until recently DTS:X theatrical support was weak, few studios would redo the objects for home release.

For Blu-Ray, you see more DTS releases because the DTS HD master audio encoder is faster and better than the Dolby TrueHD encoder - the DTS HD encoder is a single pass encoder, while the Dolby encoder requires two passes - first to encode to Dolby digital (for the "core" stream) then again to encode the TrueHD stream. DTS HD master audio contains the DTS core inside it.

DTS theatrical is different from home DTS - theatrical DTS is actually closer to aptX (the lossless Bluetooth codec), while DTS Coherent Audio is what we refer to DTS and it's used at home. Since theatrical sound has so many different formats, it has to be re-encoded which let DTS get the upper hand since the source could be theatrical DTS, Dolby digital, SDDS or other format.
CalJake and Phantom Stranger like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-02-2020, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 671
I think Dolby Atmos has all but "won" this generation. The UHD market isn't huge and Atmos dominates consumer titles. DTS simply waited too long to get off the ground with DTS:X.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #5 of 6 Old 01-05-2020, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I think dts also left the cinema space for some years, it could be that their absence from the cinema world hurt them.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-06-2020, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Compared to Dolby Atmos, DTS:X is non-existant. Now there's is DTS:X IMAX Enhanced, but no real adoption by studios there either. Dolby has all but won.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page