Super Fuzz Blu-Ray In English - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MagnumX

post #1 of 4 Old 01-17-2020, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Super Fuzz Blu-Ray In English

There is finally a Blu-Ray with good quality HD video for the 1980 movie Super Fuzz starring Terrence Hill and Earnest Borgnine (aka Supertrooper or in this case "Poliziotto superpiù" in German). Unfortunately, despite the vast improvement in video quality, the movie for some reason doesn't include the original soundtrack (i.e. English), just two DUBS, one in German and the other in Italian and even though Terence Hill is Italian and probably speaks it fluently, they didn't use his voice in the Italian dub either. The Blu-Ray is available from Amazon Germany, for example as "Der Supercop".

So I got this idea of transferring the English original soundtrack from the DVD release to the Blu-Ray video dump. To make a very long story short, it didn't work because of TWO reasons, the first being that the DVD is apparently running a PAL transfer (it might have been an import; I don't recall) and so the sound is speed up 4% (I never noticed). The second problem is the video on the Blu-Ray is a non-standard 24fps (should be 23.976 for NTSC and 25fps for PAL). This meant that after following some instructions on how to fix the soundtrack (extracted to Audacity), it STILL didn't line up. After figuring it out, changing the speed of the soundtrack -4.0% instead of -4.0976% and then using KODI to alter the start point until everything lined up, which I then fed back into MKVToolnix, I now have a perfectly audio aligned 1080p HD transfer of Super Fuzz with the original English soundtrack (might be the only one on the planet right now with it). I then used Handbrake to re-encode the movie to 23.976 fps and this didn't seem to do any harm to it visually or sonically (soundtrack still lines up), but made it possible for KODI to switch to that frame rate without issue (it kept freezing up at 24fps, although it was fine if viewed at 59.xx fps). Now it frame switches to 23.98 just fine.

This gave me a 1080p English language version of Super Fuzz (of course the titling is still in German at the beginning, but that's no big deal). The picture is now incredible looking on my 92" screen (it's 1:78 so it fills it almost completely) and the sound...well it's the same 2-channel mono that was on the DVD. I did start to hear anomalies when I used my M4V "AAC" soundtrack to make it work on the first attempt (apparently going through an encoder three times started to cause these tiny little 'clicks' here and there) so I re-ripped the Dolby Digital soundtrack, converted to WAV and left it in WAV until the final Handbrake re-encode to 23.976 fps and it sounds perfectly fine now with obvious degradation.

To create your own file (which you can either play with something like KODI or burn to a BD-R):

1> Rip the German Blu-Ray with something like MakeMKV to get the move into an MKV file.
2> Rip Super Fuzz from the English DVD and use FFmpeg to extract the soundtrack (i.e. ffmpeg -i sourcefile.mkv destination file.wav
3> Import the soundtrack into Audacity (free audio program) and use "Change Speed" set to -4.0 (the field on the right, not the "multiplier" on the left" in that speed change prompt)
4> Export the result to WAV (you might want to trim some dead space at the beginning of the soundtrack first so the audio starts at 1 second in to make it easier to align it later)
5> Use MKVToolnix to add the MKV BD file and uncheck the Italian and German soundtracks (unless you want them too) and add a second source of the WAV file you made. You'll need to align it so their mouths line up with the dialog, though.
6> Combine them with MKVToolnix for a test run. Now play the file in KODI and use KODI's "sound delay" slider while you watch to move the audio forward or backward (it'll be forward if you don't clip above) until their mouths line up with the dialog. Write that number you arrived at down and (+ amount for delay and - amount for moving it forward).
7> Repeat step 5 above with a new file output but this time click on the altered WAV file first and under "delay" on the right panel put in the number from step 6. This generates a master MKV file with the completed movie. Test it to make sure with KODI again (make sure you set KODI's delay back to 0 first when you play it).

8> If not correct, adjust again slightly (or you screwed up somewhere so start over or figure it out). With a good result, either burn the MKV using appropriate software to a BD-R or you can watch the MKV file directly with KODI (full BD quality) but be aware you're still at 24fps instead of the standard 23.976.

9> To fix the frame rate, I used Handbrake to import the MKV, set a good quality output and also set to convert the WAV audio to both a stereo AAC track and a Dolby Digital track for good measure (not much bigger file to have both and assures it will play on virtually any media player. I used very high quality settings so it didn't damage the sound). This will create either an MKV file or MP4/M4V file (your choice) which you can then use in a media player or burn to a disc.

The resulting file looks awesome and it sounds the same as the DVD in English and everything lines up here.

Hopefully, they will release an English language Blu-Ray at some point (and one can hope they update the soundtrack to better quality and/or stereo or 5.1), but until then this as good as it gets.
Phantom Stranger likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 1-31-20)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-17-2020, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 671
I've always been tempted to do this for a movie but seems like a lot of effort and work. I really wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an official Blu-ray. I see the DVD came out in 2007 and now sells for well over $100.

This is commonly done for anime releases, as the best audio release with the proper dub is often absent from the best video release of a program.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #3 of 4 Old 01-17-2020, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I've always been tempted to do this for a movie but seems like a lot of effort and work. I really wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an official Blu-ray. I see the DVD came out in 2007 and now sells for well over $100.

This is commonly done for anime releases, as the best audio release with the proper dub is often absent from the best video release of a program.
The hardest part was figuring out the correct speed setting (-4.0 (%) in Audacity on the right pane for speed adjustment). As long as you already have both discs (or can get them for a reasonable price) and are familiar with the programs in question, it doesn't take that long. I redid it last night fresh off the DVD as the "AAC" version I used from the M4V file I kept on my server then meant 3 trips through an encoder and I could hear little "clicks" lightly here and there. By dumping the disc again and decoding the Dolby Digital file only once to WAV and then keeping it WAV until the last step (where I made an AAC and Dolby Digital version to be more compatible with more media players, although you could use FLAC or whatever to avoid even one more trip through an encoder as long as you media player supports it) there are now weird clicks or anything on the final version. KODI makes it simple to find the right setting to line things up as long as it's within a second or so. I just deleted about 2 seconds off the leader for the movie (where the DVD shows a logo first) so that the music started at 1 second in. That got it within a second of where it needed to be. I think I ended up with a -300ms setting in MKVToolnix to permanently line it up so no adjustment was needed in KODI.

The DVD is available for much less than that in a region 2 format that still includes an English Audio track you should be able to use. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._dp_mv_of_dp_0). It's in region 2 format (Europe), but that means nothing to MakeMKV as you won't be playing the movie off the DVD anyway, but either making a Blu-Ray or a media file to watch on a media player like KODI. So for $18 ($14 + $4 shipping) for the DVD plus 5 Euros (~$7-9 with shipping I think) for the German Blu-Ray off Amazon Germany (https://www.amazon.de/s?k=der+supercop&ref=nb_sb_noss_2) you'd have all the media files needed to make it work (you would need a Blue-Ray drive to do it, of course; all the software is free or can be used for free save possibly the software to burn a BD-R if you want one of those). I loved Super Fuzz so $27 or so is well worth it to me to see the movie in so much higher video quality on a 92" screen.

I also figured a lot of people that loved this movie probably already have the DVD. They'd just need the €5.0 German Blu-Ray.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 1-31-20)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-26-2020, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I've taken this one step further and went in with iMovie and added in the US release soundtrack where I could replace the extended DVD soundtrack (mixes right in smoothly). This replaces much of the repetitive synthesizer music with the US added sound bites and background music that was much better and changes Paradise's voice to not sound like Mario from Nintendo among other things. When the three thugs dance it plays the Playschool theme music or whatever it is like I remember now. I've added it as an extra soundtrack so I can choose the full length DVD one or the US VHS mix-in version, both with 1080p video.

Total Sweetness.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page