Top Gun UHD Blue Ray Release Quality - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By DarrinH
  • 1 Post By JKR1963
  • 1 Post By Josh Z
  • 2 Post By thebland
  • 1 Post By nathanddrews
  • 1 Post By livitup311
  • 1 Post By Daniel Chaves
  • 1 Post By SuperFist
  • 1 Post By Daniel Chaves
  • 1 Post By Worf
  • 1 Post By PhilH930

post #1 of 22 Old 03-30-2020, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Top Gun UHD Blue Ray Release 5/19 Quality

Does anyone know the disc details? Will this version be based from a new film scan with a high resolution digital intermediate?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled 1.png
Views:	43
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	2703526  
Daniel Chaves likes this.

The Entertainment Cave II

Last edited by DarrinH; 03-30-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-20-2020, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrinH View Post
Does anyone know the disc details? Will this version be based from a new film scan with a high resolution digital intermediate?
I'd like to know that, too. If it's new, it will be interesting to see what they can do with it. It was one of the earliest Super 35 to anamorphic releases, and inherently suffers from a lot of grain and contrast due to the extra generation needed to get it to anamorphic in the day. Film stocks were also not as friendly to the process until a number of years later. Hopefully they can do magic without trashing the desired detail.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-20-2020, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5160 Post(s)
Liked: 4210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post
It was one of the earliest Super 35 to anamorphic releases, and inherently suffers from a lot of grain and contrast due to the extra generation needed to get it to anamorphic in the day.
True of the theatrical release prints, but a film-to-video scan should be able to skip all that and start at the original negative.

IIRC, the original Blu-ray came from an old, heavily DNR'ed master, but the later 3D conversion had a new and better scan at that time. Unfortunately, no 2D reissue was offered. The 2D disc in the 3D set was just the old copy.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-20-2020, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
True of the theatrical release prints, but a film-to-video scan should be able to skip all that and start at the original negative.
We can hope.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-08-2020, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Sounds good and I will be buying this one.

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/top-gun-uhd
SuperFist likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-08-2020, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 7764 Post(s)
Liked: 6927
Quote:
It was one of the earliest Super 35 to anamorphic releases...
Kinda figured it wasn't filmed anamorphic when I got the laserdisc and it had a 2:1 aspect ratio with more picture above & below rather than cropped sides.

Sanjay
post #7 of 22 Old 05-08-2020, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5160 Post(s)
Liked: 4210
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Kinda figured it wasn't filmed anamorphic when I got the laserdisc and it had a 2:1 aspect ratio with more picture above & below rather than cropped sides.
Yeah, Tony Scott instructed that the mattes be lifted so that it would fill more of a 4:3 TV screen. By the time the DVD edition was released, 16:9 TVs were more prevalent and Scott was comfortable returning to the original theatrical composition.
sdurani likes this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-08-2020, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
Sounds good and I will be buying this one.

Thanks for posting the link. He is one of my favorite reviewers.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-12-2020, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked: 1855
I downloaded the 4K UHD version last night (Kaleidescape). The aerial shots still look overly grainy and soft but all other scenes look pretty outstanding. An all around improvement.

Can’t comment on Atmos track.
SuperFist and nathanddrews like this.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #10 of 22 Old 05-12-2020, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
I downloaded the 4K UHD version last night (Kaleidescape). The aerial shots still look overly grainy and soft but all other scenes look pretty outstanding. An all around improvement.

Thanks for the update, can't wait to get my disc!
thebland likes this.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-12-2020, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I don't think the version currently in the K store is the same as the version being released on 4k disc. The one in the K store currently is HDR, but not UHD. It's also the 5.1 mix, not the Atmos mix on the 4K disc. I know K often trails in audio formats, but they've been doing better in this lately.

I'm not sure when the current version got to the store, but I'm hoping a UHD/HDR/Atmos version isn't far behind. I'm holding off on upgrading my BD copy in the K store to see if a new version comes out.
SuperFist likes this.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-12-2020, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I cant wait for that ATMOS track, man I hope they took the time to mix that right.
SuperFist likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Pyle 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s + miniDSP 2x4HD (for Subs) Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #13 of 22 Old 05-12-2020, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked: 7187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
I cant wait for that ATMOS track, man I hope they took the time to mix that right.
According to Bill Hunt at thedigitalbits.com, they did!

Quote:
As good as the new 4K image is though, the new English Dolby Atmos mix is even better. Paramount has been responsible for some fantastic surround sound mixes over the years, and this one is no exception. The soundstage is big, wide, and constantly immersive. It’s vertically large now too, with the addition of the height channels. Top Gun has always had an unapologetically aggressive surround mix, but it's smoother and more fluid here. Over the opening credits, the sound of jet engines, music, and radio coms filters in from every direction. Afterburners have real muscular punch and plenty of rumbling bass. You can almost feel the Faltermeyer score pulsing in your chest.

Even the quiet moments have pleasing atmospherics, which get much more aggressive in action scenes. During air combat in particular, when you’re looking at in-the-cockpit shots you can hear the hiss of airflow and targeting instrumentation as kind of a close-in bubble of sound from all around, even above. This opens up dramatically when you’re outside the cockpit—the whole sound space swirls around you as the fighters roll and dive. Jets engines pan in from behind and above as enemy aircraft fly into view on screen, then move around the soundstage with the imagery, and pan away again. Clarity is impressive as hell. This is straight-up great Dolby Atmos.
Daniel Chaves likes this.
post #14 of 22 Old 05-12-2020, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked: 1855
Quote:
Originally Posted by livitup311 View Post
I don't think the version currently in the K store is the same as the version being released on 4k disc. The one in the K store currently is HDR, but not UHD. It's also the 5.1 mix, not the Atmos mix on the 4K disc. I know K often trails in audio formats, but they've been doing better in this lately.

I'm not sure when the current version got to the store, but I'm hoping a UHD/HDR/Atmos version isn't far behind. I'm holding off on upgrading my BD copy in the K store to see if a new version comes out.
I believe when it says HDR it’s also 4K. Sure looked like 4K on my OLED this morning.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #15 of 22 Old 05-12-2020, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
According to Bill Hunt at thedigitalbits.com, they did!

AWESOME!!!! oh man now I really cant wait.
SuperFist likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Pyle 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s + miniDSP 2x4HD (for Subs) Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #16 of 22 Old 05-13-2020, 12:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 663
And for those who haven't gone 4k, the Blu-Ray included also has Atmos and the improved transfer. It's not just a copy of the Blu-Ray already released. So at least if you get it now you still get improvements.
Josh Z likes this.
post #17 of 22 Old 05-13-2020, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I believe when it says HDR it’s also 4K. Sure looked like 4K on my OLED this morning.

Yeah, you’re right. I got thrown by the fact that some movies have both the HDR and the UHD badge. I’m a derp.

It did just get updated with the Atmos track. I’m downloading it now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #18 of 22 Old 05-20-2020, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I agree with The Bland's observation, but I'll add a couple of notes. I took a look at all three versions (old BD, new BD, and UHD BD) last night projected. Grain is still quite present...sometimes quite intentionally such as in the title sequence carrier launches and recoveries. Other times there are second unit or aerial shots that the director wanted tighter, so they were optically enlarged...which also enlarges the grain. But there are a lot of photographic issues baked into this movie that just cannot be "fixed." There was a strong trend about the time this show was shot to under-expose a bit. I have never understood why DPs chose to do this. It thins the negative, reducing contrast, and with the grains of dye farther apart, they are more visible. The grain is not particularly distracting on most routine shots, but occasionally is. I am particularly sensitive to the effect of distracting levels of grain with regards to the faces of female actors. Grain is a bit different between the new BD and the UHD BD, with the latter being slightly better.

Particularly gnarly still are many of the closeup shots of the pilots/REOs while flying. These are baked in due to how photographed, in this case, often with contrast too extreme to correct/improve.

Resolution is definitely improved on the UHD, but I'm not sure that this would be terribly noticeable unless projected. I used MPC setting of 4 (RS640) to get good detail without exacerbating grain.

The new grade provides a very nice improvement on contrast on many scenes, and color looks great.

BTW, the new BD opens with a trailer for the sequel. Its PQ is much better than the movie.

No time to evaluate the sound last night. Cheers.

Last edited by Cam Man; 05-20-2020 at 02:20 PM.
post #19 of 22 Old 05-22-2020, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I agree with The Bland's observation, but I'll add a couple of notes. I took a look at all three versions (old BD, new BD, and UHD BD) last night projected. Grain is still quite present...sometimes quite intentionally such as in the title sequence carrier launches and recoveries. Other times there are second unit or aerial shots that the director wanted tighter, so they were optically enlarged...which also enlarges the grain. But there are a lot of photographic issues baked into this movie that just cannot be "fixed." There was a strong trend about the time this show was shot to under-expose a bit. I have never understood why DPs chose to do this. It thins the negative, reducing contrast, and with the grains of dye farther apart, they are more visible. The grain is not particularly distracting on most routine shots, but occasionally is. I am particularly sensitive to the effect of distracting levels of grain with regards to the faces of female actors. Grain is a bit different between the new BD and the UHD BD, with the latter being slightly better.

Particularly gnarly still are many of the closeup shots of the pilots/REOs while flying. These are baked in due to how photographed, in this case, often with contrast too extreme to correct/improve.

Resolution is definitely improved on the UHD, but I'm not sure that this would be terribly noticeable unless projected. I used MPC setting of 4 (RS640) to get good detail without exacerbating grain.

The new grade provides a very nice improvement on contrast on many scenes, and color looks great.

BTW, the new BD opens with a trailer for the sequel. Its PQ is much better than the movie.

No time to evaluate the sound last night. Cheers.
That is far more detailed and knowledgeable than I could ever write, but sums up how I perceived the 4K release also. For right or wrong, this is a favorite for me and have seen well over a 100 times. My initial impression was a little underwhelmed with the PQ, and found some of the aerial footage to ghost also. Footage outside of the aircraft is improved over BD; for some reason the sweat seems even more noticeable now! Make no mistake, it is still an improvement; I am just coming from an unrealistic 4K HDR benchmark having just watched a range of Marvel movies. Bill Hunt says it best though - "I think the best way to describe it is that the film looks its vintage without showing its age. And that’s exactly what you want from a release like this."

The sound is fantastic. My setup is 5.4.2 (Kef) on an 82" screen. Very impressed with the atmos mix.

Again, far from a pro with this kind of review, but trust the judgment of my eye. Expected a little bit more, but as enjoyable as ever!
Cam Man likes this.

Last edited by PhilH930; 05-22-2020 at 08:45 PM.
post #20 of 22 Old 05-22-2020, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Sorry but I have to link this in any Top Gun thread. NSFW

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #21 of 22 Old 05-23-2020, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=bryantc;59693942]Sorry but I have to link this in any Top Gun thread. NSFW

Hilarious!!!
post #22 of 22 Old 05-23-2020, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked: 2293
The Atmos was nice, but still a bit grainy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page