Why doesn't Paramount note AR on packaging? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-13-2020, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Why doesn't Paramount note AR on packaging?

Hey Folks,

Does anybody know why Paramount refuses to note the aspect ratio on the back of the box the way every other studio does?

Sometimes WB writes "1.85" even though they've cropped it to 1.78. And sometimes a studio will write "2.39" when it is actually 2.35 for an older title etc.

But for the most part, the studios do a good job of accurately noting the aspect ratio on the disc packaging.

Except Paramount. They just don't put it on the box at all. They've always had this issue and I've always found it frustrating.

I didn't pre-order the new 4K "Top Gun" because I had to wait for the reviews to confirm it was the scope AR I desired. (That title has had a couple different aspect ratios on home video over the years.)

This post is partially to vent my frustration but also to ask if anyone knows if they have a legit reason to omit this info.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-14-2020, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5200 Post(s)
Liked: 4266
Quote:
Originally Posted by magi1500 View Post
Does anybody know why Paramount refuses to note the aspect ratio on the back of the box the way every other studio does?
My guess is that somebody in the marketing department decided that information has no meaningful impact on disc sales, so they don't bother to provide it.

Quote:
Sometimes WB writes "1.85" even though they've cropped it to 1.78.
Technically, most of those transfers are open matte, not cropped.

Quote:
I didn't pre-order the new 4K "Top Gun" because I had to wait for the reviews to confirm it was the scope AR I desired. (That title has had a couple different aspect ratios on home video over the years.)
Top Gun was shot using the Super 35 film format. The Laserdisc video release was open matte to 2.0:1 because Tony Scott felt at the time that he wanted it to fill more of a 4:3 TV screen. By the time 16:9 TVs became prevalent in the market, he changed his mind. Every video release of the movie from DVD onward has returned to the original 2.35:1 ratio.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-15-2020, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 166
They're selling the disks. People are buying the disk. Ergo the AR isn't important.
But to a few here on AVS...

Before you blow a gasket, go ask a few of your friends, those that don't share this hobby with you, how they feel about not having the AR on the disk packaging. The blank looks will amaze you...

Oh, and to answer your question, because they choose not to.

Seggers

Sony XBR-85X900F, Oppo 203 UHD, Denon X6300H, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, Def Tech A60 Atmos tops, the internet and a Nvidia Shield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-16-2020, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I guess I’m a niche even on this website... Niche within a niche? I have a CIH setup with masking so it is always helpful to me to have this info in advance.

But I get it. Most people don’t care.

I just don’t see the harm in providing more info. Even streaming should list the AR right next to the audio config & the colorspace in my humble opinion.

Look at a DCP’s CTT. The AR is given a prominent position. It is 3rd right after the title & type (feature or trailer etc).

But again, I get it. It is what it is. I’m not losing sleep over it. Thx for reading!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-18-2020, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5200 Post(s)
Liked: 4266
I understand the annoyance, but this information is easy enough to look up on the internet. Find the movie on IMDb and click the Technical Specs link.

I have several movies where the aspect ratio info on the case is completely wrong. Notoriously, the DVD and Blu-ray packaging for Cast Away claim the movie is 2.35:1, but its actual OAR is 1.85:1. The Blu-ray for Supernova has the opposite problem; it claims to be 1.85:1 while the movie is actually 2.35:1.

All the info you find on the case art is written by the studio's marketing department based on boilerplate templates. They are frequently riddled with errors.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page