AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Blu-ray Software (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/)
-   -   Blu-ray HD movie screenshot thread... (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-blu-ray-software/778604-blu-ray-hd-movie-screenshot-thread.html)

eightninesuited 12-31-2006 04:30 PM

I noticed we don't have a dedicated thread for Blu-ray screen captures. It would be nice to see shots of Blu-ray films on your display. I remember a few weeks ago, someone did a comparison of Ice Age 2 on Blu-ray and DVD and that sold me on the disc. A picture is worth a thousand good reviews.

Gary Murrell 01-01-2007 01:29 AM

sad to say screenshots of live displays are 100% useless, one image can make DVD look like SD, another can make HD look like DVD or even worse, too many variables etc.

-Gary

1loudsuv 01-01-2007 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

sad to say screenshots of live displays are 100% useless, one image can make DVD look like SD, another can make HD look like DVD or even worse, too many variables etc.

-Gary

that is true but would i wouldnt mind seing is blu ray setups

Paul Clancy 01-01-2007 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

sad to say screenshots of live displays are 100% useless, one image can make DVD look like SD, another can make HD look like DVD or even worse, too many variables etc.

-Gary

Gary, I know you're right but seeing that comparison of ice age 2 was stunning how it drove the point of new hd formats benifit on the same screen. If nothing else these types of shots should establish the clear benifits of hd disk medium over dvd. I do agree when the shots get into comaparing competing hd formats they become useless. I've used those shots to show people what all the fuss is about with blu-ray vs dvd and even the most doubting admitted there was clear benifit. It would be nice to see more of those comparisons with non animated titles considered top tier. As always a picture is worth a thousand words.
The risk in this is with the format fan boy members who could doctor these to try and trash a format--easily done with photoshop and a real risk unfortunately.

camaj 01-01-2007 11:26 AM

Screenshots are great, but I want to see actual screenies, not photo's of someones telly. I believe that you can do it with PowerDVD

HD-DVDwonder 01-01-2007 11:31 AM

if referring to the same multiple Ice Age screenshots taken on the Plasma. I thought it looked really harsh, overblown and edge enhanced

can't find it in the back pages

overclkr 01-01-2007 11:37 AM

Ok I'll bite.

Twin Sony VPH-G90U projectors in a Blend on a 11ft wide 16:9 SMX screen. Source is the PS3:





Pics taken by my good buddy Clarence.

Cliff

nharmon91 01-01-2007 12:31 PM

Twin PJs, nice!

bdshort 01-01-2007 04:05 PM

What's the benefit of twin projectors? I've never heard of this before (but it looks good!)

pidge 01-01-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post

What's the benefit of twin projectors? I've never heard of this before (but it looks good!)

Better resolution

plasmabuyer 01-01-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge View Post

Better resolution

Stereoscopic Image ...ummmmmmmmm

overclkr 01-01-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post

What's the benefit of twin projectors? I've never heard of this before (but it looks good!)

A front projection CRT user like me who is not yet ready to switch over to digital benefits from double the light output that 2 CRT projectors can provide as well as on/off CR (contrast ratio) that goes through the roof.

Cliff

tkmedia2 01-01-2007 08:04 PM

not a "crappy" 2 projector stack, but a 2 projector "blend!" All I got is a crappy Sony 1292 and a Sony HDIH 1200

Gary Murrell 01-01-2007 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr View Post

Ok I'll bite.

Twin Sony VPH-G90U projectors in a Blend on a 11ft wide 16:9 SMX screen. Source is the PS3:





Pics taken by my good buddy Clarence.

Cliff

Hey Cliff

you are a sick man

-Gary

overclkr 01-01-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

Hey Cliff

you are a sick man

-Gary

Where have you been big dog? Hope you had a nice holiday!

How's the XG doing?

Cliffy

overclkr 01-01-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmedia2 View Post

not a "crappy" 2 projector stack, but a 2 projector "blend!" All I got is a crappy Sony 1292 and a Sony HDIH 1200

The 1292 is FAR from crappy.

I'm willing to bet that your VERY happy with your image.

Cliff

Dave Mack 01-01-2007 11:05 PM

Pardon my ignorance, Cliff. But HOW do you do the twin PJ thingy? Are you projecting 2 of the same image overlapping or are they side by side with each PJ getting 1/2 the image?
I know, I'm dumb...

Looks great!

Xylon 01-02-2007 12:17 AM

Here is a challenge. How about 5th Element DVD SB vs. Blu Ray. Make the picture a bit bigger than the one posted so the difference is easier to see. I woud like Cliff to do it with his double stacked PJ.

kweezr 01-03-2007 06:44 AM

A comparison of Speed on my lowly Panny 50" plasma
SD

BD

SD

BD

dpags 01-03-2007 07:01 AM

Sweet

eightninesuited 01-03-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr View Post

Ok I'll bite.

Twin Sony VPH-G90U projectors in a Blend on a 11ft wide 16:9 SMX screen. Source is the PS3:





Pics taken by my good buddy Clarence.

Cliff

Holy sweet mother of pearl necklace!!! We need more pics from you pronto. I would love to see what Kingdom of Heaven looks like on that.

T-Bone 01-03-2007 05:31 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweezr View Post

A comparison of Speed on my lowly Panny 50" plasma
SD

BD

SD

BD

As Gary stated, screen shots are pretty useless. And these photos back that opinion. There is little difference between the comparison images. Looking at the overpass scenes, the colors are different, and I an guessing that the display was calibrated for a single source, not both the SD-DVD and BD sources.

As for resolution, the text on top of the bus in the BD cap seems more readable, but that could be because the bus is in a different location. If we were watching this same scenes, in motion, It seems like we would be hard pressed to differentiate the two sources.

Lastly, look ate the resolution of the brick bldg in the background, as well as the ligh post on the overpass. Little/no difference between BD and SD-DVD... and even less so if we watched the scene in motion.

-T

Neo1965 01-03-2007 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

As Gary stated, screen shots are pretty useless. And these photos back that opinion. There is little difference between the comparison images. Looking at the overpass scenes, the colors are different, and I an guessing that the display was calibrated for a single source, not both the SD-DVD and BD sources.

As for resolution, the text on top of the bus in the BD cap seems more readable, but that could be because the bus is in a different location. If we were watching this same scenes, in motion, It seems like we would be hard pressed to differentiate the two sources.

Lastly, look ate the resolution of the brick bldg in the background, as well as the ligh post on the overpass. Little/no difference between BD and SD-DVD... and even less so if we watched the scene in motion.

-T

I think it could be that some of us see more details better. In the BD pic, I see that the yellow lane dividers on top are actually two separate lines, in the SD screen, I can only see one line.

The hubcaps are also more visible on the BD version.

The BD version on the other hand has more visible grain than the DVD one which is all smeared out.

OTOH, I am seeing this 6 inches away from a 1920x1200 Dell2405, a 24" LCD, and it is easier to see this on bigger displays (at least I can see the difference in detail).

camaj 01-03-2007 08:47 PM

I agree that the differences on the Speed pics are insignificant but perhaps Kweezer didn't pick the best scenes. Also if you compress everything to 800x359/357 you're going to loose any differences anyway, it's like taking a black and white photo of a colour TV and saying "Hey isn't colour TV better than B&W?"

Gary Murrell 01-03-2007 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr View Post

Where have you been big dog? Hope you had a nice holiday!

How's the XG doing?

Cliffy

been around, chillin, my XG is smokin, love it so much I have put 2400 hours on it in 4 months

I had a very good holiday Cliffy thanks

-Gary

Gary Murrell 01-03-2007 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Pardon my ignorance, Cliff. But HOW do you do the twin PJ thingy? Are you projecting 2 of the same image overlapping or are they side by side with each PJ getting 1/2 the image?
I know, I'm dumb...

Looks great!

I believe Cliff is doing a blend, where they meet
Art on the other hand is doing a G90 stack only overlaying image

A G90 stack blending with a 2.40:1 screen about 12 feet wide would be nice

-Gary

Gary Murrell 01-06-2007 10:58 PM

I am gonna bump this up and apologize to eightninesuited to be so quick on the draw, lets keep this going for fun and I suggest a sticky please mods, why the change of heart?, I got a new toy

here are some Blu-Ray "Into the Blue" screenshots, whoever said this title looks like **** needs some new eyes , I never thought I could do this good:







-Gary

Kram Sacul 01-06-2007 11:47 PM

You were right. Those screenshots could be of a dvd and we'd never know it.

Gary Murrell 01-06-2007 11:57 PM

oh yes you would let me get a DVD shot, I have seen them already

my DVD setup is a Yamaha CX1 via SDI into the DVDO VP50, basically the best it can get, not even close, although the pictures are, HD still shows itself, I have always hated screenshots, but damn I never thought I could get them like this!

I should also add that this was while I was tweaking my CRT, convergence is not even close in these, I will add more later after completion

-Gary

Gary Murrell 01-07-2007 04:31 AM

more after I finished my PJ tweaking, all BR of course, for reference you can see my center speaker below(like the first pic of Keira), this is a 34.5" X 83" 2.40:1 setup:











-Gary


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.