Master Anime on Blu Ray Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #781 of 794 Old 06-25-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2860 Post(s)
Liked: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
You can actually buy the anime now as a regular BD/DVD disc... It's been out since April....

Yeah, gonna see if they have it at my local Fry's, maybe this weekend.....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 794 Old 07-05-2019, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Fairly exciting news today: According to Blu-ray.com and Anime News Network, Akira will be getting a 4K remaster that will be available next year, in both Japan and America. The blurb on Blu-ray.com indicates it will keep the Japanese Dolby TrueHD "Hypersonic Audio" track from the previous Blu-ray editions. Now I have even more of a reason to invest in 4K hardware than I already had.
aaronwt, Blasst, jskang and 2 others like this.

post #783 of 794 Old 07-18-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Sad news about Kyoto Animation Studios in Japan

Kyoto Animation, one of Japan’s most popular anime studios, was reportedly set ablaze this morning in Japan, thirty three were confirmed dead. A man in his 40s was allegedly seen pouring a flammable liquid and setting it on fire. He is currently in police custody. One witness said the suspect was screaming “die” as he lit the fire.

Sankei News reports that 38 employees have been taken to the hospital for major and minor injuries. adds that nine people are unconscious. According to Japanese TV news, there are still people trapped in the studio and there are 20 people who are still unaccounted for. Kyoto Animation CEO Hideaki Hatta told reporters that for the past few years, death threats have often been sent to the company. It was reported that the building had only one exit (???) and most of the employees fled to the rooftop where they were trapped.

Kyoto Animation is perhaps best known for anime like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Lucky Star, K-On!, Clannad, Hyouka, Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions, Violet Evergarden, A Silent Voice, Liz and the Blue Bird and more recently, Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid and Free!, among many others.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...

Last edited by Jon S; 07-18-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 794 Old 07-19-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^
Yeah, that is some seriously messed up stuff. There are sick people no matter where you go. This would be unusual anywhere really, but especially for Japan. Maybe it is just the ease of modern communication that makes it so, but it sure seems to me that Japan has become increasingly, well, I won't say dangerous - but having more *issues* than I'm used to hearing about...

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #785 of 794 Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just released on video is Sayonara no Asa ni Yakusoku no Hana o Kazarō (Maquia - When the Promised Flower Blooms)...

The anime is about an isolated race of people called Iorphs who live several hundred years. They weave cloths called Hibial which can be read as thier history of their life. A foreign kingdom called Mezarte invades the Iorphs and captures all the women in attempt to inbreed with the Iorphs to extend their lifespan. Maquia escapes and encounters a abandoned human baby and adopts him as her own. The story continues as she tries to raise him even though she never ages. They are forced to move time and again in order to hide her ancestry as the Mezarte are still looking for more female Iorphs. Basically the story is about how she tries to experience motherhood even though she knows it will end in pain for her.

Saw this recently at a con, I was very impressed and moved. There was a lot of sobbing going on in the room, that's for sure. I went ahead and purchased the BD, definitely worthy of collecting if you ask me. Highly recommend this one.
aaronwt and audiofan1 like this.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #786 of 794 Old 09-29-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great news... A couple of anime series are being released in the fourth quarter of this year....

Seitokai Yakuindomo (Student Council Staff Members)

Seitokai Yakuindomo contains anime episodes 1-13 of Season 1, episodes 1-13 of Season 2, and the Movie directed by Hiromitsu Kanazawa. When the all-girl Ousai Private Academy goes co-ed, freshman Takatoshi Tsuda finds himself in a situation that most guys can only dream of - one of only 28 boys in a school of over 500 girls! Unfortunately, that fantasy slams into a hard wall of reality when he runs into Student Council President Shino Amakusa and she drafts him onto the council!

That might not be so bad… except for the fact that Shino, council secretary Aria and even faculty advisor Ms. Yokoshima are all seriously sex-obsessed, while tiny treasurer Suzu has rage control issues, and the head of the school newspaper spends her time peddling candid pictures of the council members! Will this lead to Takatoshi becoming a Big Man on Campus? Or will he end up as the council's whipping boy?

This anime is finally being released on video. It is hilarious and over the top with a lot of sexual innuendos (there is no nudity or sex shots, just implied actions). The release date is 12/10/19. Sadly, it seems that the OVAs are not part of the package.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru (My Teen Romantic Comedy)

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Complete Collection contains anime episodes 1-13 of My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU directed by Ai Yoshimura and episodes 1-13 of My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! directed by Kei Oikawa.

When Hachiman Hikigaya, who has no friends and believes that anyone who likes high school is either deluded or a liar, is coerced into joining the "Services Club" run by Yukino Yukino****a, who's smart, attractive and considers everyone to be her complete inferior, it's a catastrophe just waiting to happen. But it's not until the THIRD ingredient… Yui Yuigahama, who's cute, bright, cheerful, and needs help baking cookies… is added to the combustible mix that the sparks really start to fly. Is this a recipe for romance or a prelude to a nuclear meltdown? Get ready for rom-com gone totally wrong as the barrage a trois of the Service Club is unleashed on an unsuspecting student body!

This anime is a re-release after being out of print for awhile. The release date is 11/05/19.
Jonas2 likes this.

post #787 of 794 Old 10-29-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The major issue with anime discs is that they are always limited in release. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru (My Teen Romantic Comedy) was released a few years ago and then was unavailable for a few years when inventory sold out. This is one of the few anime releases that was re-released. Another title, Expelled From Paradise just sold out and is no longer available.

Another big issue is that anime discs are dang expensive. The Sword Art Online discs costs a few hundred dollars if you want both seasons. It is not uncommon for titles to be released in four episodes at a time selling for $50-80, which means a full season will set you back a couple of hundred dollars.

Japan's anime industry is in a slow decline. This is the first year that no anime are being broadcast in prime time on television as people tastes change. People are not buying discs because the videos are even more expensive there. They have to find a price point where they can sell more in volume at a lower price to increase revenue. The reduction in revenue is why recent anime has crappy artwork as they are paying less and good illustrators are leaving the industry and studios are outsourcing the art to the Philippines, Korea, China and Vietnam... Some anime has such terrible artwork where characters are disfigured or perspective is out of whack.

Studios are trying to release and sell more anime overseas but their ridiculous price structure is making that a lost cause. They better get their act together before they go under...

post #788 of 794 Old 10-30-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The major issue with anime discs is that they are always limited in release. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru (My Teen Romantic Comedy) was released a few years ago and then was unavailable for a few years when inventory sold out. This is one of the few anime releases that was re-released. Another title, Expelled From Paradise just sold out and is no longer available.

Another big issue is that anime discs are dang expensive. The Sword Art Online discs costs a few hundred dollars if you want both seasons. It is not uncommon for titles to be released in four episodes at a time selling for $50-80, which means a full season will set you back a couple of hundred dollars.

Japan's anime industry is in a slow decline. This is the first year that no anime are being broadcast in prime time on television as people tastes change. People are not buying discs because the videos are even more expensive there. They have to find a price point where they can sell more in volume at a lower price to increase revenue. The reduction in revenue is why recent anime has crappy artwork as they are paying less and good illustrators are leaving the industry and studios are outsourcing the art to the Philippines, Korea, China and Vietnam... Some anime has such terrible artwork where characters are disfigured or perspective is out of whack.

Studios are trying to release and sell more anime overseas but their ridiculous price structure is making that a lost cause. They better get their act together before they go under...
Amen to that brother. I just came back from a trip to the anime home land, and I've definitely noticed over the years, the decline in video presence. Heck, 20 years ago you could find TONs of stuff, VHS, LD, DVD was juuuust starting to come on line, but gained a presence in the subsequent years, and the used market was huge, great prices. That seems to have all but dried up completely. I mean you can still find stuff, but the focus seems to have shifted to more goods-related stuff, like figures and those damn gacha things, or at least in Akihabara it seems to me.

And that is very interesting, your mention of prime time anime on TV - I saw absolutely nothing. Not that I was planted on front of a TV the whole time, but I thought I'd catch something - and nothing! It's like how can there be so much anime out there (?) and be as popular as it is when there isn't anything to watch?

I did have a chance to catch Tenki no Ko in a 4DX theater though, and the 4DX aside, it's a good movie, so I'll be getting that one on BVD when it comes out....

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #789 of 794 Old 10-30-2019, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 24
With how many amazing audio technologies that have come out of Japan, how are they still using 2.0 on their tv show blu-ray releases? I'm guessing it has to do with what they view the average viewer is going to have in their country where space is often times a premium. If we went by average viewer in the west then we wouldn't have 5.1 either, most people still use TV speakers.

There's a huge difference between their 2.0 Japanese language audio and the English audio of a company like Funimation that includes a LFE channel. I played the My Hero Academia Season 3 blu-ray and the OP ODD FUTURE by Uverworld sounds completely different when using the English track instead of the Japanese one. The sound is way more dynamic, all encompassing, and has some definite bass missing from the Japanese OP that's noticeable without a subwoofer. I might have to check the actual album release to see which one is better following the regular track. There's always a possibility that Funimation did something to the mixing.

I'm looking to buy a new subwoofer and I'm wondering how much it will even be used for anime TV releases and how deep some extensions are in the average show.

Last edited by Trojita; 10-30-2019 at 03:06 PM.
post #790 of 794 Old 10-30-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita View Post
With how many amazing audio technologies that have come out of Japan, how are they still using 2.0 on their tv show blu-ray releases? I'm guessing it has to do with what they view the average viewer is going to have in their country where space is often times a premium. If we went by average viewer in the west then we wouldn't have 5.1 either, most people still use TV speakers.

There's a huge difference between their 2.0 Japanese language audio and the English audio of a company like Funimation that includes a LFE channel. I played the My Hero Academia Season 3 blu-ray and the OP ODD FUTURE by Uverworld sounds completely different when using the English track instead of the Japanese one. The sound is way more dynamic, all encompassing, and has some definite bass missing from the Japanese OP that's noticeable without a subwoofer. I might have to check the actual album release to see which one is better following the regular track. There's always a possibility that Funimation did something to the mixing.

I'm looking to buy a new subwoofer and I'm wondering how much it will even be used for anime TV releases and how deep some extensions are in the average show.
Well, dunno. It's been a long while since I've collected series on disc, more recently I'm just doing stand alone films, and going off of memory, they've all been at least 5.1 Japanese audio and maybe it's just limited to what I've got, it's not a huge collection. All my series now are streamed (yes, I admit it....), but everything upmixes pretty nicely at least. I'm sure not as good as Bluray though. I love My Hero Academia by the way, looking forward to starting Season 4 on Crunchyroll among many other shows with new seasons starting now....

I never use English audio tracks, but maybe I'll play with some to check this phenomenon out!
Trojita likes this.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #791 of 794 Old 10-30-2019, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Well, dunno. It's been a long while since I've collected series on disc, more recently I'm just doing stand alone films, and going off of memory, they've all been at least 5.1 Japanese audio and maybe it's just limited to what I've got, it's not a huge collection. All my series now are streamed (yes, I admit it....), but everything upmixes pretty nicely at least. I'm sure not as good as Bluray though. I love My Hero Academia by the way, looking forward to starting Season 4 on Crunchyroll among many other shows with new seasons starting now....

I never use English audio tracks, but maybe I'll play with some to check this phenomenon out!
Generally the movie releases themselves are 5.1 but the tv shows are almost always 2.0

There's some good shows this season.

Hoshai no Sora and Beastars both nearing masterpiece levels if they keep the quality up.

If you are into comedy isekai, Shinchou Yuusha and Hataage Kimono Michi have both been great. The isekai last season sucked, so it's great we got two decent comedies this season.

Ore wo Suki nano wa Omae dake ka yo has been surprisingly satisfying to watch.

Are you watching Fire Force? The show is AMAZING.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #792 of 794 Old 10-30-2019, 07:17 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 9531 Post(s)
Liked: 6222
Quote:

I would think, like other things, streaming is taking over. I know I've watched Expelled from Paradise a few times. But I streamed it. I never purchased the Blu-ray Disc. I never even considered it.

I have a bunch of anime titles on BD. But many times I just go ahead and stream them from a streaming provider. Like Funimation or Netflix. Because I'm too lazy to get the disc. Or I never ripped the BD to my Plex server.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 10-30-2019 at 07:22 PM.
post #793 of 794 Old 10-31-2019, 07:26 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Most people I know who watch anime now stream anime. Hardly anybody buys physical media anymore.. Much easier to go to funimation or netflix or amazon prime or hulu or some streaming service that has anime... Sign of the times, I guess.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #794 of 794 Old 11-06-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru (My Teen Romantic Comedy) has been in stock at Rightstuffanime for about a month, ahead of schedule and they have been shipping since. Amazon shows a 1-3 month back order for it....

Seitokai Yakuindomo (Student Council Staff Members) is in stock as of today, also one month ahead of schedule and shipping as well if you pre-ordered. Amazon still shows a release of December10.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Trigun Badlands Rumble , Redline Blu Ray Widescreen , Flcl Complete Series Blu Ray , Evangelion 1 11 You Are Not Alone Blu Ray Widescreen , Summer Wars Blu Ray Widescreen , Nausicaa Of The Valley Of The Wind Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Evangelion 2 22 You Can Not Advance Blu Ray Widescreen , Castle In The Sky Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Howls Moving Castle Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Ponyo Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page