The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 425 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3580Likes

post #12721 of 26093 Old 06-12-2009, 08:02 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4687 Post(s)
Liked: 4559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

Hey guys, I'm from New Zealand and we have PAL region. My question is will the PAL version of the Blue and Gold tiers be just as good?

Blu-ray is neither NTSC or PAL, it is a new system. There are different editions of the same titles made in different parts of the world, so you'll have to check that.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12722 of 26093 Old 06-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Wiki says I'm Region B like Europe. The US is Region A. It also says that as of late 2008 70% of Blu-rays are region-free.

Does anyone know if the different regions are the same quality?
post #12723 of 26093 Old 06-12-2009, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Wiki says I'm Region B like Europe. The US is Region A. It also says that as of late 2008 70% of Blu-rays are region-free.

This thread might help:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1069912

You see me reaching for my f****** wallet?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12724 of 26093 Old 06-13-2009, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

thanks delta. that link led me to this website: http://www.dvdcompare.net/ it looks like they're mostly the same...
post #12725 of 26093 Old 06-13-2009, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 62
It's going to be 3 months since watching a BLU. Watched the first 30 minutes of Slumdog in my new Panasonic DMP-BD80 modded Multiregion Blu-ray / DVD player. Thought I had set video output resolution to 480p though it was correctly set to 1080p.

Best Achievement in Cinematography and Best Achievement in Editing when nothing on-screen lasts more than 2-3 seconds.

Looks like a Solid Tier 2.75 or Tier-3 title, IMO.

Blu-ray : 340
post #12726 of 26093 Old 06-13-2009, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Probably your player, your TV, or your desire to give a negative review because everyone else has given it glowing reviews.
post #12727 of 26093 Old 06-13-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 2141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

I would not expect the original Toy Story to be the top-ranked Pixar Blu-ray for picture quality due to the factors I listed previously. Categorizing reference-quality Blu-rays in an ordinal ranking system like we attempt here is sometimes like debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. They have to be differentiated in some magnitude and this criteria is how I make that determination, particularly on the titles of pure CGI. I suspect the people at Pixar would most likely agree that their newer movies are more advanced than their older work in terms of animation modeling and microscopic detail.

A Bug's Life looks awesome, I just do not agree it deserves the highest ranking over every other tier zero title.

You know I respect your opinion, but I too have to disagree with you on this one. The reason I voted for the top spot for A Bug's Life was because of the unparalleled colors, detail, and depth. It has no rival, IMHO.

Your argument concerning more advanced CGI in newer Pixar titles may have a measure of truth, but then I could counter by saying that the fields, trees, plants, etc. in A Bug's Life seemed much more realistic to me than the whole space sequence in WALL-E (with its very unrealistic humans).

I guess what I'm saying Phantom is that I did NOT ignore the criteria set forth at all on Page one when I made my determination to vote for the top of Tier Blu for A Bug's Life. It meets ALL the criteria for Tier Blu....and it looks better than any other animated title listed in that tier. It all adds up to being "King of the Tier Blu hill."

I'll take this opportunity to say I'll be gone for over a week starting Monday, so I will miss watching Blu-rays and checking the Forum to see what everyone else is watching.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #12728 of 26093 Old 06-13-2009, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:

Some Blu-rays are the same globally (most Warner discs for example) but often different studios or entities control a title in a specific region or country. That often leads to one edition being superior to another edition. There are a plethora of options for Terminator 2, not all of them being equal in picture quality. We do have a few Region B titles listed in the tier thread and those are marked as such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

It's going to be 3 months since watching a BLU. Watched the first 30 minutes of Slumdog in my new Panasonic DMP-BD80 modded Multiregion Blu-ray / DVD player. Though I had set video output resolution to 480p though it was correctly set to 1080p.

Looks like a Solid Tier 2.75 or Tier-3 title, IMO.

Welcome back, we always need more placements and opinions here from well-informed viewers like yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

You know I respect your opinion, but I too have to disagree with you on this one. The reason I voted for the top spot for A Bug's Life was because of the unparalleled colors, detail, and depth. It has no rival, IMHO.

I guess what I'm saying Phantom is that I did NOT ignore the criteria set forth at all on Page one when I made my determination to vote for the top of Tier Blu for A Bug's Life. It meets ALL the criteria for Tier Blu....and it looks better than any other animated title listed in that tier. It all adds up to being "King of the Tier Blu hill."

Your analysis is solid and with good reasoning, I just disagreed with your conclusions. My personal placement for it would probably be somewhere around Meet The Robinsons or Chicken Little, so our views only differ by a few measly spots. I was one of those who did not feel Wall*E deserved a top ten spot.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
post #12729 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I think Wall-E looked really great, but it was soft in parts. A Bug's Life was not once soft.
post #12730 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 12:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Fired Up!

How'd this end up in my queue? Might as well review it. Pretty decent PQ on this title.

Extremely fine grain present throughout. Contrast was slightly pushed but still maintained a natural balance for the most part. There was a scene in the 37min mark where the brightness level darkened about 1/3 stop. Blacks were decent and low-light scenes presented good details. Skin tones were natural most of the time, but sometimes got a bit reddish. Facial close-up's were decent, but not impressive. Medium shots had 3D pop, but were found to be soft at times.

Overall, a worthy low-end Tier 1 title...

Tier Recommendation: 1.75

Depending on how bothersome the brightness fluctuation was to others, this title could be pushed into the Silver Tier.

ln46a650 - 1080p/24 - 8'

post #12731 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 03:56 AM
Advanced Member

Hey guys, does anyone have Brotherhood of the Wolf and able to place it in the tiers? Apparently it's only in Region B though...
post #12732 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Welcome back, we always need more placements and opinions here from well-informed viewers like yourself.

Thanks Phantom. Here's hoping to return back in another few weeks time as I have bought around 42 Blu-rays at terrific price here in the UK in the past 3 months. Btw, I ain't well-informed. Still learning and trying to be well-informed.

I hope SuprSlow / AustinSTI are still around to update the original post.

Blu-ray : 340
post #12733 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
Take a chill pill man, it'll get done. There's a lot of changes taking place. Then too, he might be one of those folks with a life away from AVS.
post #12734 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hey guys, does anyone have Brotherhood of the Wolf and able to place it in the tiers? Apparently it's only in Region B though...

Great movie, but here in the US as far as I knew, it was only on DVD. I think this might be a good purchase cause the DVD looks great.
post #12735 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Not giving formal reviews but I most say that...

The Code= Sharp
Friday the 13th= Soft
Confessions of a Shopaholic= Softest
post #12736 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Defiance

I have to go against the "grain" here a little. I didn't think that this one looked as great as many others here did.

Don't get me wrong, there most certainly are plenty of scenes that did look fantastic, with great detail, clarity and depth. But I would say that those type of scenes only made up about 25% of the movie at most.

The majority of scenes looked to be mid to high Tier 2.

There were scenes near the end that showed superb facial details/dirt on Daniel Craig's face. If most of the movie looked like that, high Tier 1 or even Tier 0 would be within the realm of discussion. As it is, I am waivering betweeen 1.75 and 2.0.

End the end I have to go with my overall impression.

Tier Recommendation: 2.0

Oh, and the movie was average at best.
post #12737 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 06:18 PM

Gran Torino

Though not as bad as many Warner transfers, I still thought this one was a tad on the soft side. Detail and clarity was decent, but certainly not close to anything near Tier 1. Colors were somewhat muted, probably intentionally.

I decent overall transfer, but nothing to write home about.

Tier Recommendation: 2.75 to 3.0

As for the movie: there were a lot of good one liners by Clint that made me laugh. Clint did a fine job of acting. Unfortunately, he was the only one who did. I found the acting by the teens to be well below par, and it largely ruined the movie for me. Not a movie I will ever feel the need to watch again.
post #12738 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 06:21 PM

The International

It appears that Sony is still putting out fantastic looking titles. I was very impressed with this! It excelled on all levels: details, sharpness, clarity, color, depth, contrast and lack of any artifacts. And it did all of this with a very natural look (not digital).

Tier Recommendation: 1.25

As for the movie: I just didn't find the story all that interesting. There was enough action and suspense to make it somewhat entertaining though.
post #12739 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Deception

I have to go against the "grain" here a little. I didn't think that this one looked as great as many others here did.

Don't get me wrong, there most certainly are plenty of scenes that did look fantastic, with great detail, clarity and depth. But I would say that those type of scenes only made up about 25% of the movie at most.

The majority of scenes looked to be mid to high Tier 2.

There were scenes near the end that showed superb facial details/dirt on Daniel Craig's face. If most of the movie looked like that, high Tier 1 or even Tier 0 would be within the realm of discussion. As it is, I am waivering betweeen 1.75 and 2.0.

End the end I have to go with my overall impression.

Tier Recommendation: 2.0

Oh, and the movie was average at best.

Hey Rob, I think you mean Defiance. Mods can delete this post once corrected.

post #12740 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 2141
^^^

Okay Rob, your recommendations were all lower than mine, but only by a notch or two on Defiance and The International. You're making me feel like the "most generous rater" once again. (Except for the fact that quite a few others shared my views, or voted higher than I did.)

I agree wholeheartedly with your remarks about the acting in Gran Torino...Clint was definitely a one-man show in this one. And how about those grunts?!

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
post #12741 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 09:01 PM

Gran Torino

2.40 : 1

Great HD transfer. There was a light layer of grain. I wasn't bothered by the green tint presented. Blacks were above average. Depth and dimension was as well. A more diverse color palette would have upped the ranking to 2.0.

The car itself always looked amazing!

Gran Torino
Tier Recommendation: Tier 2.25
PS3-Samsung 46" 1080p-seven'
post #12742 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:

The International

It appears that Sony is still putting out fantastic looking titles. I was very impressed with this! It excelled on all levels: details, sharpness, clarity, color, depth, contrast and lack of any artifacts. And it did all of this with a very natural look (not digital).

Tier Recommendation: 1.25

The International

2.35 : 1

Great film-like transfer. My review would be the same as everyone else. The beautiful weather has sapped away my originality!

The International
Tier Recommendation: Lower Tier 0
PS3-Samsung 46" 1080p-seven'
post #12743 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 10:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Valkyrie

"Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives"

Finally got around to watching this on BR. Gotta say, it's better the second time around (once in the theatre). Fine, even grain present throughout, giving this title a very pleasing film-like look. First thing to notice was the incredible detail in facial close-up's. They were easily in the Mid to Low Tier 0 range. However, this was not consistent throughout. Medium shots, while excellent for the most part, did suffer from some softness at times. It almost appeared like the camera had problems catching up on focus when more than one person was present.

Some of the indoor shots had some contrast issues as well. These were just a handful and, for the most part, contrast was bold and helped define incredible detail on uniforms, trees, etc. I should mention the washed out opening scene in North Africa. It wasn't too bothersome for me just because it helped accentuate the heat (great to see those P-40's in action!) Blacks were bold and low-light scenes were very well detailed. The black boots of the officers in the beginning were a good example. I had issues with the green foliage. I felt they were not the usual lush green that I've seen in high-tiered movies. I don't know if these were German leaves or time/season, but they appeared too light, almost washed out. I also felt the red flags, while the scene was still eye catching, were not the deep red I remembered from the theatre.

Outside of those complaints, the HD experience was definitely there. The strengths are definitely the clear definition and texture of objects - from facial features to the detail on the Junkers.

Tier Recommendation: 1.50

ln46a650 - 1080p/24 - 8'

post #12744 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltasun View Post

Hey Rob, I think you mean Defiance. Mods can delete this post once corrected.

My bad, thanks for pointing this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

^^^

Okay Rob, your recommendations were all lower than mine, but only by a notch or two on Defiance and The International. You're making me feel like the "most generous rater" once again. (Except for the fact that quite a few others shared my views, or voted higher than I did.)

I agree wholeheartedly with your remarks about the acting in Gran Torino...Clint was definitely a one-man show in this one. And how about those grunts?!

I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Yes, almost all of the acting in Gran Torino, except Clint's, was noticeably sub par. I don't think I can remember the last major movie that I saw where I was so painfully aware of bad acting.
post #12745 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 10:13 PM

I've noticed great prices for Unforgiven, one of my favorites. Has anyone seen the PQ? I've seen screenshots from several sites, and they all look grain free.
post #12746 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selimsivad View Post

I've noticed great prices for Unforgiven, one of my favorites. Has anyone seen the PQ? I've seen screenshots from several sites, and they all look grain free.

I have it on HD-DVD. Not great PQ, but regardless, I would definitely recommend it. It's simply one of the best westerns ever made.
post #12747 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:

I have it on HD-DVD. Not great PQ, but regardless, I would definitely recommend it. It's simply one of the best westerns ever made.

The transfer, IMO, is most important. I need to know that the grain is still intact. Amazing western, no doubt!
post #12748 of 26093 Old 06-14-2009, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Sleeping Beauty
A beautiful restoration. This one is currently at Tier 0, and while it certainly possesses many Tier 0 virtues, such as tack sharp backgrounds, rich colors, near-perfect contrast delineation, and flawless compression, the relatively simplistic hand-animation of 1959 (to my eyes at least) just doesn't hold the same amount of PQ demo value as the tier 0 live action movies and the modern computer-rendered stuff. The backgrounds are static, the cels are flat and soft. I don't want to slight the artistry of the animation, but this wouldn't be one of the first titles I'd reach for to demo my home theater, so for the purposes of the thread I'd want to move this one down a bit, though by no means is this anything but an excellent looking title.

Tier 1.0
post #12749 of 26093 Old 06-15-2009, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Wallace and Gromit - A Matter of Loaf and Death

This is an excellent disc. You can see the impressions on the clay from how it was formed, finger prints and stuff. I was really curious how well this would look, but I was totally blown away. The 3D depth is unreal. Color is fantastic. This disc is reference all the way! Bring on Curse of the Were-Rabbit! Oh, and the TrueHD 5.1 track is very nice also!

One major downside to some, it is 1080i50.

This should be Tier 0
post #12750 of 26093 Old 06-15-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I'm not going to argue with your recommendation at all; I just wanted to point out that it's one of the first blu-rays I reach for to demo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post

Sleeping Beauty
I don't want to slight the artistry of the animation, but this wouldn't be one of the first titles I'd reach for to demo my home theater, so for the purposes of the thread I'd want to move this one down a bit, though by no means is this anything but an excellent looking title.

Tier 1.0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , High Definition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page