The New PQ Tier thread for Blu-Ray - Discussion - Page 830 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3321Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #24871 of 25823 Old 06-01-2018, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
djoberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 6,426
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I dug these up from early September of 2009 using sorcery. Actually, I cheated a bit and used Braveheart's known Blu-ray release date to narrow the search. Djoberg, you apparently agreed back then with frequent PQ Tiers' reviewer 42041 (remember him?) on Braveheart. I tossed in Deltasun's review because it was so much different than your assessment. I was a little sad to discover in the course of finding your review that forum member 42041 hasn't visited the site in over four years. I pray he's out there somewhere still enjoying movies.

Djoberg, you'd recognize many familiar names from the initial Braveheart discussion in the PQ Tiers. Members such as Rob Tomlin, Patrick99, GeekyGlassesGirl and others all appear. It's hard to believe it's been nearly a decade.
Thanks so much Phantom for "digging up" those reviews. It would seem that I was just as impressed with the restored Blu-ray version as I was tonight viewing the UHD version. And I'm really surprised that I gave it (virtually) the same placement as I did a half hour ago. Having said that, I did watch some snippets of my Sapphire 1080p version last night and I don't believe I would give it a Tier 0 (bottom third) placement today.

I most certainly do remember those names. I really miss them all; they were with us a very long time, especially Rob, Patrick and 42041.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
djoberg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24872 of 25823 Old 06-02-2018, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
djoberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 6,426
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
^^^^^^^

I see that Hughmc "liked" your last post Phantom. We miss you too Hugh! Where have you been and what have you been doing? And in keeping with this thread, what Blus have you been watching lately? You have been one of the greatest contributors to this thread and it sure would be nice to have you back!
Phantom Stranger likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 06-02-2018 at 07:49 AM.
djoberg is offline  
post #24873 of 25823 Old 06-03-2018, 02:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SnellTHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 420
I haven't even seen Braveheart yet
SnellTHX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24874 of 25823 Old 06-03-2018, 03:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SnellTHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 558 Post(s)
Liked: 420
BladeRunner 2049 just arrived in 4K/HDR

I heard this movie has A LOT of deep bass, so I'm going to save it until the neighbours are away lol.

I just had to have a little sneak peak and I watched the first 13 minutes. The opening fight scene where he slams the blade runners had against the wall and the scene where the car flies / lands... WOW. that BASS. tables and glasses were shaking so can't wait til I'm home alone!!
SnellTHX is offline  
post #24875 of 25823 Old 06-03-2018, 09:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
I haven't even seen Braveheart yet
I saw it in theaters and have never found the time to watch my Blu-ray copy. Now it gets released on UHD.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #24876 of 25823 Old 06-04-2018, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
dla26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Hostiles (UHD)

I was hoping for a lot more eye candy, since this was mastered in 4k from the original 35mm negatives. The best scenes were all shot close up - lots of subtle detail in the hair and skin, but not really skin pore porn. (Is that a thing? I feel like that's kind of a thing. ) But a great deal of the story was told from a bit of a distance, and those scenes had a disappointing lack of detail. A great deal of the movie was either dark or shadowy - which produced a good effect for storytelling purposes, but it made it a lot harder to appreciate the scene's details. I didn't notice any black crush, but there's only so much black on slightly less black that I can enjoy. That said, there were several scenes with a bright light on one part of the screen and darkness on the other that I'm sure videophiles will enjoy testing the limits of their displays on. I was also hoping that since the movie is set in the frontier there would be more majestic views of nature, but that gets more into the realm of criticizing the director's intent rather than the picture quality of the film as intended.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 1.25

P.S. The audio was only 5.1. That's fine for me, as that is what my setup is, but I normally expect Dolby Atmos and/or 7.1 surround to be standard on UHD.
Phantom Stranger and AmerCa like this.
dla26 is offline  
post #24877 of 25823 Old 06-04-2018, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post
Hostiles (UHD)

I was hoping for a lot more eye candy, since this was mastered in 4k from the original 35mm negatives. The best scenes were all shot close up - lots of subtle detail in the hair and skin, but not really skin pore porn. (Is that a thing? I feel like that's kind of a thing. ) But a great deal of the story was told from a bit of a distance, and those scenes had a disappointing lack of detail. A great deal of the movie was either dark or shadowy - which produced a good effect for storytelling purposes, but it made it a lot harder to appreciate the scene's details. I didn't notice any black crush, but there's only so much black on slightly less black that I can enjoy. That said, there were several scenes with a bright light on one part of the screen and darkness on the other that I'm sure videophiles will enjoy testing the limits of their displays on. I was also hoping that since the movie is set in the frontier there would be more majestic views of nature, but that gets more into the realm of criticizing the director's intent rather than the picture quality of the film as intended.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 1.25

P.S. The audio was only 5.1. That's fine for me, as that is what my setup is, but I normally expect Dolby Atmos and/or 7.1 surround to be standard on UHD.
Many period pieces such as Hostiles don't aim for that razor-sharp, ultra-revealing aesthetic. It's also from Lionsgate, which has never been known as a studio favorable to videophiles on home video.


Was the movie enjoyable?

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #24878 of 25823 Old 06-05-2018, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
dla26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Many period pieces such as Hostiles don't aim for that razor-sharp, ultra-revealing aesthetic. It's also from Lionsgate, which has never been known as a studio favorable to videophiles on home video.


Was the movie enjoyable?
Yes, the movie was very good. I'd personally give it a 3/4 stars.

Spoiler synopsis:
Spoiler!


My not-so-deep analysis:
Spoiler!
Phantom Stranger likes this.
dla26 is offline  
post #24879 of 25823 Old 06-05-2018, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
djoberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 6,426
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I saw it in theaters and have never found the time to watch my Blu-ray copy. Now it gets released on UHD.
Whoa! I could hardly believe you haven't seen the Blu-ray of Braveheart! This tells me you weren't that impressed with it after seeing it in the theater, for if you did you would have "made time for it" at home. What didn't you like about it? I know it's a long movie but there are plenty of epic movies (like Lawrence of Arabia which is nearly 4 hours long) that I believe you have seen. I'm not "judging you" Phantom, just genuinely surprised you didn't love the movie.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
djoberg is offline  
post #24880 of 25823 Old 06-05-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
Whoa! I could hardly believe you haven't seen the Blu-ray of Braveheart! This tells me you weren't that impressed with it after seeing it in the theater, for if you did you would have "made time for it" at home. What didn't you like about it? I know it's a long movie but there are plenty of epic movies (like Lawrence of Arabia which is nearly 4 hours long) that I believe you have seen. I'm not "judging you" Phantom, just genuinely surprised you didn't love the movie.
I like Braveheart a lot, don't get me wrong. I mostly prefer watching a movie I haven't seen before most of the time, especially if it's a lengthy epic. I normally don't re-watch many movies except for a handful of personal favorites. There are too many good movies and not enough hours in the day. Braveheart isn't an isolated example, we would be here all day if I listed some of the titles in my collection that are favorites I haven't personally gotten around to viewing on BD.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #24881 of 25823 Old 06-05-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post
Yes, the movie was very good. I'd personally give it a 3/4 stars.

Spoiler synopsis:
Spoiler!


My not-so-deep analysis:
Spoiler!
Thanks, the movie sounds interesting. Christian Bale usually gets involved with good projects and the cast looks solid, which is what piqued my interest.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #24882 of 25823 Old 06-06-2018, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
djoberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 6,426
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I like Braveheart a lot, don't get me wrong. I mostly prefer watching a movie I haven't seen before most of the time, especially if it's a lengthy epic. I normally don't re-watch many movies except for a handful of personal favorites. There are too many good movies and not enough hours in the day. Braveheart isn't an isolated example, we would be here all day if I listed some of the titles in my collection that are favorites I haven't personally gotten around to viewing on BD.
I hear you!

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
djoberg is offline  
post #24883 of 25823 Old 06-06-2018, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 618
There's a nice sale next week at Target on certain UHDs. Both Dunkirk and Red Sparrow UHDs will be $13.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #24884 of 25823 Old 06-06-2018, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
There's a nice sale next week at Target on certain UHDs. Both Dunkirk and Red Sparrow UHDs will be $13.
AmerCa is offline  
post #24885 of 25823 Old 06-07-2018, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
djoberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 6,426
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Hostiles (1080p)

First of all, I enjoyed the superb acting of this "character-driven" Western. It may be too slow-paced for many today, but I was riveted to the screen for its 2+ hour running time.

The PQ was very good at times, especially during daytime, outdoor scenes. The cinematography was beautiful, though with a rather muted color palette the EYE CANDY consisted mostly of intricate details in rocks, dense forests, grasslands, etc. Black levels were, for the most part, excellent. There were some campfires scenes which treated us to some great shadow details. As dla26 said, close-ups of actors/actresses revealed plenty of texture in faces and hair. They weren't quite "reference quality," but I'd proudly show them off as "demo material." Clarity could be quite striking at times...check out a scene on a street at a fort at about the 1 hour 12 minute mark...it was razor-sharp with amazing depth to boot!

On the negative side, softness crept in at time resulting in a lack of details. Flesh tones also faltered occasionally creating a "red push." Also, in keeping with dla26's comments, long range shots could be sadly disappointing.

Tier Recommendation: 1.5*


Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post
Hostiles (UHD)

I was hoping for a lot more eye candy, since this was mastered in 4k from the original 35mm negatives. The best scenes were all shot close up - lots of subtle detail in the hair and skin, but not really skin pore porn. (Is that a thing? I feel like that's kind of a thing. ) But a great deal of the story was told from a bit of a distance, and those scenes had a disappointing lack of detail. A great deal of the movie was either dark or shadowy - which produced a good effect for storytelling purposes, but it made it a lot harder to appreciate the scene's details. I didn't notice any black crush, but there's only so much black on slightly less black that I can enjoy. That said, there were several scenes with a bright light on one part of the screen and darkness on the other that I'm sure videophiles will enjoy testing the limits of their displays on. I was also hoping that since the movie is set in the frontier there would be more majestic views of nature, but that gets more into the realm of criticizing the director's intent rather than the picture quality of the film as intended.

Tier Recommendation: Tier 1.25
AmerCa likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
djoberg is offline  
post #24886 of 25823 Old 06-07-2018, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hughmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
^^^^^^^

I see that Hughmc "liked" your last post Phantom. We miss you too Hugh! Where have you been and what have you been doing? And in keeping with this thread, what Blus have you been watching lately? You have been one of the greatest contributors to this thread and it sure would be nice to have you back!
Hi, Denny. Thanks for the mention. I appreciate all of you and the continuing reviews and related banter. I check in here almost daily to see reviews as a lurker. I'm still around and watching movies, Blu Rays on occasion but not diligently in reference to the PQ thread. I obtained my Business degree in 2016 after 30 years of self-employment. It was a personal goal I kept in my back pocket after dropping out 30 years ago. I reverse engineered it. I did jump on the recent Oppo deal, like Phantom...although I have a PS3 and PS4, I wanted the SACD/DVD Audio capabilities as well as other features. I still love my Panny VT65 Plasma, but when I upgrade to 4K, I will have to upgrade my Denon 4308ci. It is still an excellent piece of hardware. Outstanding! The Oppo works with the current system I have for BD's, SACD/DVD Audio...again till the upgrade. I am fortunate having integrated a new piece of hardware and its compatible with my network receiver from ten or more years ago. The other qualifier...although I remain in good health and am physically fit... I still have reasonably good eyes, 20/30 and good ears, but I am 56, and there is no doubt my view like anyone's as we age, will become more subjective
Hughmc is offline  
post #24887 of 25823 Old 06-08-2018, 11:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post
Hi, Denny. Thanks for the mention. I appreciate all of you and the continuing reviews and related banter. I check in here almost daily to see reviews as a lurker. I'm still around and watching movies, Blu Rays on occasion but not diligently in reference to the PQ thread. I obtained my Business degree in 2016 after 30 years of self-employment. It was a personal goal I kept in my back pocket after dropping out 30 years ago. I reverse engineered it. I did jump on the recent Oppo deal, like Phantom...although I have a PS3 and PS4, I wanted the SACD/DVD Audio capabilities as well as other features. I still love my Panny VT65 Plasma, but when I upgrade to 4K, I will have to upgrade my Denon 4308ci. It is still an excellent piece of hardware. Outstanding! The Oppo works with the current system I have for BD's, SACD/DVD Audio...again till the upgrade. I am fortunate having integrated a new piece of hardware and its compatible with my network receiver from ten or more years ago. The other qualifier...although I remain in good health and am physically fit... I still have reasonably good eyes, 20/30 and good ears, but I am 56, and there is no doubt my view like anyone's as we age, will become more subjective
A belated congrats on the degree! That's impressive going back to school after 30 years. Thanks for coming out of lurking, it's great hearing from you again after all this time. It reminds everyone this thread and the PQ Tiers have been built off dozens and dozens of regular contributors, even if some of them have moved on from reviewing. Your contributions here are missed, but I understand very well how life can get busy.


The Great Silence

recommendation: Tier 2.75*

Film Movement's 50th Anniversary Restoration edition for this excellent spaghetti western features a new 2K film scan from the original camera negative. The movie had already made it out on Blu-ray in Germany from a different transfer but this week's release is the first in North America. The snow-laden movie from Italian director Sergio Corbucci steadily improves in clarity and sharpness after a mildly soft opening reel. The 106-minute main feature is encoded in flawless AVC on a BD-50. It is presented at the new aspect ratio of 1.85:1, whereas prior editions of the film offered a 1.66:1 aspect ratio.
The film's grain structure remains intact, albeit faint halos are noticeable in certain scenes. The film elements are in fine condition, some dustbusting has been applied to clean up wear and debris. Generally this is a film-like, faithful presentation of low-budget Italian filmmaking from the late 1960s. It surpasses prior editions of the film with better colors and a more stable contrast. Nothing in the film's cinematography screams videophile. It is serviceable with acceptable black levels and solid definition.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)

Last edited by teachsac; 11-15-2018 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Linking to own site
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #24888 of 25823 Old 06-09-2018, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hughmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thank you Phantom! Thank you for keeping this thread updated and a big thank you for all the reviews you and others contribute
Phantom Stranger and lganz316 like this.
Hughmc is offline  
post #24889 of 25823 Old 06-09-2018, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
djoberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 6,426
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post
Hi, Denny. Thanks for the mention. I appreciate all of you and the continuing reviews and related banter. I check in here almost daily to see reviews as a lurker. I'm still around and watching movies, Blu Rays on occasion but not diligently in reference to the PQ thread. I obtained my Business degree in 2016 after 30 years of self-employment. It was a personal goal I kept in my back pocket after dropping out 30 years ago. I reverse engineered it. I did jump on the recent Oppo deal, like Phantom...although I have a PS3 and PS4, I wanted the SACD/DVD Audio capabilities as well as other features. I still love my Panny VT65 Plasma, but when I upgrade to 4K, I will have to upgrade my Denon 4308ci. It is still an excellent piece of hardware. Outstanding! The Oppo works with the current system I have for BD's, SACD/DVD Audio...again till the upgrade. I am fortunate having integrated a new piece of hardware and its compatible with my network receiver from ten or more years ago. The other qualifier...although I remain in good health and am physically fit... I still have reasonably good eyes, 20/30 and good ears, but I am 56, and there is no doubt my view like anyone's as we age, will become more subjective
Hugh,

I admire your determination and patience in getting your degree at this stage of life. Kudos to you for that! I hope this new "chapter in your life" proves to be rewarding in every way.

I "may" just jump on the Oppo deal as well (if it's still available, that is). Or, I may get a Cambridge Audio player which is based on the Oppo. It costs a bit more but at least the company should be around for future updates/repairs.

Once you get really settled and you start feeling "bored," consider jumping back on the PQ Tier Thread Wagon. We would love to have you back. If memory serves me you and I agreed at times on PQ placement, but there were times we had some good "back and forth" trying to persuade the other to change their mind. I know I appreciated your honestly and consistency.

Denny
lganz316 likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
djoberg is offline  
post #24890 of 25823 Old 06-09-2018, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 1447
All The Boys Love Mandy Lane (2006 - Anchor Bay)



This is the first movie that made me question if there was something wrong with my display. Had I accidentally changed my settings? Is my display already failing me? The PQ of this movie is awful, and I think this is certainly due to its low budget. Detail is minimal, contrast is poor, picture is terribly grainy at times, there's black crush and poor shadow details, and there were many other artifacts that made this movie almost unwatchable.

Are there any redeemable qualities? This is the first movie I watch with my new audio setup(), wich is 5.0 for now and I have yet to make full adjustments, but even the audio was disappointing. There were a couple of good moments here and there, but even the audio mix sounded "cheap". So technical values on this disc are virtually non-existent.

This is a somewhat interesting slasher film with a couple of things going for it, but for the most part is very pedestrian. This is also Amber Heard's first major role, and because of her this movie is totally worth it.

I don't want to be very harsh on this movie, but I have to go with my gut and give this movie a

Tier Recommendation: 4 (PQ wise, the worst movie I own)

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
AmerCa is offline  
post #24891 of 25823 Old 06-09-2018, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 1447
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters [Unrated Cut] (2013 - Paramount)



Yes! There was nothing wrong with my display! This BD is a beautiful thing to look at, in more than one way. Maybe this is the "Mandy Lane aftermath effect", but this disc is reference to my eyes. Color, contrast, black levels, shadow details, skin tones, and details; this movie looks beautiful. It certainly has a certain visual aesthetic - this is a fantasy movie after all - but it doesn't take anything away from its visual virtues. It's a movie you'd want to demo your display with.

Like I said, I'm missing heavily a sub for now, but even with it the audio mix was powerful and immersive, and I can only imagine a sub will give it a more heavier and deeper punch. I had already watched this movie with my HTiB, but can't remember how much a difference the low end made. This is completely a popcorn flick. What's not to like? It has gorgeous women, guns, gore, and bad, ugly witches getting massacred, and beautiful visuals coupled with great audio. I already watched this movie like four times, and it doesn't get old.

Tier Recommendation: 0 (0.90)

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
AmerCa is offline  
post #24892 of 25823 Old 06-10-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post
I "may" just jump on the Oppo deal as well (if it's still available, that is). Or, I may get a Cambridge Audio player which is based on the Oppo. It costs a bit more but at least the company should be around for future updates/repairs.

Denny
Oppo has run out of the 203 and it's looking more and more likely that the last 205 production run, which is now rumored for August, will be very limited. The Oppos are already going over list price on places like eBay. You may have to look at the upcoming high-end Panasonic player coming out.

Amazon has now matched Target and the Red Sparrow UHD is $13.
AmerCa likes this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #24893 of 25823 Old 06-10-2018, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
djoberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 6,426
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
Oppo has run out of the 203 and it's looking more and more likely that the last 205 production run, which is now rumored for August, will be very limited. The Oppos are already going over list price on places like eBay. You may have to look at the upcoming high-end Panasonic player coming out.
Thanks for the heads up Phantom. As I stated earlier, I may just get the Cambridge Audio (CXUHD) player. Performance-wise, it was given 5 stars from Al Griffin in the last issue of Sound & Vision. I like the fact that it is based on the Oppo units and that it is Dolby Vision compatible. What I don't like is its $700 price tag!

I will be renting at least two 1080p Blu-rays tomorrow so I should be giving reviews on them tomorrow night or on Tuesday.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs

Last edited by djoberg; 06-10-2018 at 04:36 PM.
djoberg is offline  
post #24894 of 25823 Old 06-10-2018, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 1447
Pride And Prejudice And Zombies (2016 - Sony)



Very good and clean transfer. There's a good amount of detail, black levels and shadow detail are also great, and even when the picture is stylized, colors are easy to the eyes, and the overall PQ is quite pleasing and beautiful to look at. Inevitably, I made the comparison to the recently reviewed Hansel & Gretel, but I didn't find this BD as spectacular and eye-pleasing as the former. This disc is pretty good, but not good enough to fall into tier zero territory. Still, this is most definitely demo material.

This movie is as nuts as the title suggests, and is certainly a very fun ride. The audio mix is loud and aggressive, and will give you more than a couple of jump scares just by the audio alone. I'm a sucker for this type of films, and I blind-bought it, knowing it hid a possible instant classic. All I know is that I'll be revisiting this flick many times in the future. This is truly what Jane Austen had in mind when she wrote the book, but she didn't dare...lol.

Tier Recommendation: 1.25

Last edited by AmerCa; 06-10-2018 at 09:37 PM.
AmerCa is offline  
post #24895 of 25823 Old 06-11-2018, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
All The Boys Love Mandy Lane (2006 - Anchor Bay)



This is the first movie that made me question if there was something wrong with my display. Had I accidentally changed my settings? Is my display already failing me? The PQ of this movie is awful, and I think this is certainly due to its low budget. Detail is minimal, contrast is poor, picture is terribly grainy at times, there's black crush and poor shadow details, and there were many other artifacts that made this movie almost unwatchable.

Are there any redeemable qualities? This is the first movie I watch with my new audio setup(), wich is 5.0 for now and I have yet to make full adjustments, but even the audio was disappointing. There were a couple of good moments here and there, but even the audio mix sounded "cheap". So technical values on this disc are virtually non-existent.

This is a somewhat interesting slasher film with a couple of things going for it, but for the most part is very pedestrian. This is also Amber Heard's first major role, and because of her this movie is totally worth it.

I don't want to be very harsh on this movie, but I have to go with my gut and give this movie a

Tier Recommendation: 4 (PQ wise, the worst movie I own)
I reviewed the UK import of this movie in the thread years and years ago. My memory wants to say it was filmed on low-budget 16mm hoping to emulate the gritty Texas Chainsaw Massacre. As I said, it's been a long time since I thought about this slasher.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #24896 of 25823 Old 06-11-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post
I reviewed the UK import of this movie in the thread years and years ago. My memory wants to say it was filmed on low-budget 16mm hoping to emulate the gritty Texas Chainsaw Massacre. As I said, it's been a long time since I thought about this slasher.
Wow, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was filmed in the 70s, were the filmmakers really going for that look? I'd say then they succeeded, because it looks like garbage, although you could also say it looks "gritty". On some scenes it really worked, but for the most part I really wanted to turn off my TV. I didn't know it was released previously in the UK, did you actually buy the import?

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
AmerCa is offline  
post #24897 of 25823 Old 06-11-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
Wow, the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was filmed in the 70s, were the filmmakers really going for that look? I'd say then they succeeded, because it looks like garbage, although you could also say it looks "gritty". On some scenes it really worked, but for the most part I really wanted to turn off my TV. I didn't know it was released previously in the UK, did you actually buy the import?
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison....php?fid=13239


Yes, I have the UK Blu-ray somewhere around here. All The Boys Love Mandy Lane had checkered distribution in the United States because I believe the Weinstein Company? had rights to it, and they shelved the movie instead of releasing it on home video. Thus it got out in foreign territories from other companies long before it hit home video in the States. Anchor Bay finally put it out here on Blu-ray.
AmerCa likes this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #24898 of 25823 Old 06-11-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
djoberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 6,426
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
15:10 to Paris

Lousy movie (with some of the worst acting I've ever seen)....Excellent PQ!!

If not for the razor-sharp clarity, brimming details, vibrant colors, accurate flesh tones, and some amazing cinematography all across Europe, I would have Fast-Forwarded this to the only action scene (that lasted all of 5 minutes) that grabbed my attention (and even that was pretty lame).

Tier Recommendation: 1.0*

PS I could see some giving this a low Tier 0 placement.
AmerCa likes this.

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
djoberg is offline  
post #24899 of 25823 Old 06-11-2018, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
djoberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: West Central Minnesota
Posts: 6,426
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
^^^^^^^^^^

I forgot to say, "What in the world was Clint Eastwood thinking in directing this movie?" I usually LOVE his movies, but this one is a real stinker. I know Clint is very patriotic and no doubt his desire was to bring the deserved glory to the soldiers who stopped this terror attack, but in using the real persons (instead of professional actors) and giving us a long, boring background leading up to the attack, he ended up making them look quite "cheesy."

LG OLED 77C8...Denon X4300H 9.2 AVR...LG UHD UBK90 (Dolby Vision BDP)...Philips UHD BDP-7501...Toshiba HD-A30...Dish Hopper 3...Roku Premiere Plus...Harmony One

5.2.4 Set-up: SVS Prime Bookshelf Speakers (4)...SVS Prime Center...SVS Prime Elevation (4)...SVS PC-2000 & PC12-NSD Subs
djoberg is offline  
post #24900 of 25823 Old 06-11-2018, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
DarthDoxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Rocky Mountains
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Stranger Things: Season 1 (Blu-ray)

recommendation: Tier 0* (0.9)

Shot with the RED Epic Dragon camera, it has a very clean and sharp image; there is no grain but not in a distracting way. Details in the landscape, fabrics, and faces are well represented. Colors are strong as well; lots of primaries in clothing, vegetation, and Christmas lights. The real strength of the presentation is the black levels and strong contrast. I was blown away with the deep, inky blacks in every episode but especially the last two that take place primarily at night. Black clothing, guns, the night sky, and everything else just look great and show great depth of shadow detail; the night sky disappears against the black bars (image is 2.00:1).


I enjoyed this season and hope they put out season 2 on disc because I don't subscribe to Netflix.

LG OLED55C7P -- OPPO UDP-203 -- Denon 1613 -- BIC America F12 Sub -- SVS Prime LCR

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.
DarthDoxie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , High Definition

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off